Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 974757 times)

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.20.4 !!Health View Poll!!
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2013, 04:23:03 am »

Hi Splinterz etc,
How would i change the Role weights to show nothing but pure potential as the two seperate "attribute weight" and "potential weight" seem sort of odd seeing as it's the dwarfs attributes which dictate how good they'll be at something. Or does "potential weight" include Traits and Preferences?

Many thanks.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2013, 04:50:14 am »

Hi Splinterz etc,
How would i change the Role weights to show nothing but pure potential as the two seperate "attribute weight" and "potential weight" seem sort of odd seeing as it's the dwarfs attributes which dictate how good they'll be at something. Or does "potential weight" include Traits and Preferences?

Many thanks.
the attribute weight is its importance relative to skills, preferences and traits. a higher attribute weight means attributes are worth more when determining the rating.

the attribute potential weight determines how important the maximum possible attribute value is, rather than the current value. if you want to only use the potential rating, then set the weight to 1.0. this essentially means that dwarfs with the highest maximum possible values, rather than the current values will get the highest ratings, for attributes.

there's no potential weight for traits or preferences as there isn't a quantifiable maximum that can be determined. skills also have a way to incorporate who will potentially reach a legendary level fastest, which is directly related to the rate at which xp is gained (skill learn rate). there is a weight for this as well, but you'll only see it when using mods which have multiple castes, which usually indicates different skill rates.

in the next version DT will be smarter about how it recognizes whether or not to display the skill learning rates by watching for different learn rates, as opposed to only multiple castes. for example right now if you run the accelerated/modest mod, which has the vanilla castes, but modifies learn rates for some combat related skills, DT isn't using the skill rate information.

anyway let me know if that clears things up. also take a look at the information on the bottom of the options window when you mouse-over the various settings. any feedback on how i can improve the explanations is welcome.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2013, 05:13:31 am »

I think i understand.

So basically if i set Attrib Weight & Potential Weight to 1.0, and Skill Weight to 0.00 that would give me the desired effect?

It just seems odd though, and if i have PW at 1.00 my people actually get rated worse, and if i lower PW they get better...but i'm not a maths guy and maybe this is intended and makes sense to those that are ;p
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Skin36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2013, 04:56:07 am »

http://shot.qip.ru/00b0A8-1VVx8eslC/

What are the numbers in brackets?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2013, 05:50:38 am »

Just wanted to say that I like how your poll is a total stalemate. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2013, 11:47:10 am »

I think i understand.

So basically if i set Attrib Weight & Potential Weight to 1.0, and Skill Weight to 0.00 that would give me the desired effect?

It just seems odd though, and if i have PW at 1.00 my people actually get rated worse, and if i lower PW they get better...but i'm not a maths guy and maybe this is intended and makes sense to those that are ;p
the attribute weight of 1.0 will give attributes the most importance if the weights for traits, preferences and skills are lower than 1.0. the potential weight may give a lower rating, since it uses a different method to calculate the rating, but the dwarf rankings should still be correct. i'll take a look anyway since it sounds like it may be weird.

http://shot.qip.ru/00b0A8-1VVx8eslC/
What are the numbers in brackets?
the numbers in brackets are the effect on happiness.

Just wanted to say that I like how your poll is a total stalemate. :)
i know. kind of shot myself in the foot with that one, now i'm going to have to do all of them :(

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2013, 06:53:37 am »

Any chance for a mac version or a wiki file to get the *nix version to run on OSX?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2013, 09:58:40 pm »

Trying to save a script filter with a Slash in the name (like 'Find a Broker/Bookkeeper'), makes them disappear.
Quote from: ARandomGuyOnTheInternet
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

aocarson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2013, 05:28:01 pm »

Any chance for a mac version or a wiki file to get the *nix version to run on OSX?

second that. i'm looking at trying to compile it under qt4 on mountain lion, i'll let you know if i can get anything going. would like to check out Labor Optimizer

edit: there's lots of code still lying around about OSX but... many links are broken and I'm getting nowhere just randomly editing files. this needs a seasoned porter/compiler. maybe we could submit it to macports? it runs too hot under wine :\
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:21:32 pm by aocarson »

Dradis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2013, 11:11:32 pm »

I was able to get it to compile and run in Mountain Lion a few weeks ago but I gave up.  I'm no programmer but the current source code makes vague references to the OSX version (probably because it's a fork of a project that did have OSX support).  I was able to get it to run by commenting out certain lines and editing others.  I realize this isn't helpful, but I wasn't able to get it to actually do anything useful.  I could get it to run, but clicking Connect to DF didn't actually do it.  It didn't error out, it just wouldn't connect or load the dwarves. 

The whole process was beyond my understanding so there's nothing worth reporting from it other than it's possible to toy with it and get it to run in Mountain Lion, but that's not new information.  Previous projects would compile and run so it doesn't surprise me that this fork will.  It doesn't really do anything useful, though, and I am incapable of really producing anything meaningful.  I'm not a programmer, as I said.

Anyway, the lack of Mac OS support in Dwarf Therapist, in general, can be traced back to an inability to access/modify the memory addresses in question.  This specifically pops up when dealing with setting custom professions.  It doesn't surprise me that the newest enhancements are available mostly for Windows.  What's surprising is that Linux-based systems are getting these new versions of DT because Mac OS X is also a Unix-like system.  The fact that there's no steam behind getting this going on Mac OS is surprising, considering the number of Mac OS users nowadays and how similar it is to other Unix-like systems.  This isn't a Splinterz issue, though.  DT for Mac OS has been broken for a while now.  It's just surprising that among all of the Mac OS players, there's no one familiar enough to solve this. 

Please don't get me wrong -- I don't like complainers who won't/can't step up and try to offer solutions.  I realize that's what I'm doing now.  But, I did fire up Xcode and QTCreator.  I did try to step through the source code and get this going.  However, I'm not a programmer and the solution for this is well beyond me.  I'm just surprised that there aren't seasoned programmers who are also Mac users.  Me not fixing this should come as no shock, but there must be people familiar with programming and Mac OS who could fix this.  Splinterz is doing great work with this, but if he or she is more comfortable developing for Windows, that's fine.  This is a free project and no one is in a position to make demands beyond what a person is comfortable offering. 

Isileth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2013, 01:19:41 am »

I'm a little unsure on the military role weightings in the military-alt tab. I dont have a huge ammount of experience with DF or Dwarf Therapist so I was hoping someone could perhaps explain whats going on.

It seems to me Strength is being weighted negatively (I have checked in the .ini and its definitely positively weighted). For example I have a dwarf with a 94.13% rating in axedwarf despite having only 557 strength and a big red square in the attribute. This stands out even more when compared against the Dodger rating which swaps Strength for Endurance yet is rated as only 26.1% despite Endurance being completely average. The dwarf has 0 levels in any of the skills or any preferences effecting either of them.
Another dwarf has 2143 Strength and completely average attributes and traits, yet only gets a 14% rating for Axedwarf. His dodger rating which again swaps out his mighty level of strength for a red quick to tire 737 causes an increase to 42.8%. *After writing the next bit I realised anger isnt involved in dodger so that may well be having an influence.

Anger also seems to be weighted way more than the 0.15 it claims a dwarf again with 0 skills or preferences and red scores in Strength 919 and Agility 205 is getting a 95% axedwarf rating with the only influence above average is an anger of 94.

Looking through my dwarfs almost all of my top rated ones are low strength high anger with most high strength dwarfs having a red rating.

My options are all default 1.00 for attribute, skill and trait weights, 0.15 for preferences and potential weight I was running at default but have been trying all ranges to see if that was having an effect but its minimal and at 0 or 100 doesnt make any dent in the apparent opposite effect of strength or huge anger boost.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2013, 06:37:20 am »

@Dradis, i realize there's a lot of people who would appreciate an osx port, unfortunately at the moment i don't have any means to develop nor test on that platform, so i can't really move forward with anything. however, i believe the last 'official' DT version did support osx, and if that's the case it should be possible to merge those changes into this branch. again though, i can't verify this.

@Isileth, having all the global weights at 1.0 means that traits (in this case only anger) is going to be worth as much as attributes (weighted average of all of them). the 0.15 weight on anger is deceptive (and somewhat incorrect) as that's relative to the other traits, of which there are none, so it's not really doing anything. what i should have done was set the trait weight to 0.15, and left the anger weight at 1.0 instead. this all comes back to those template roles being half-assed  :-[

so try this: create a new role, and copy the existing axedwarf role. leave the name the same, as this will override the default role, so you don't need to add a new column or view. now you can edit the custom axedwarf role, without worrying about messing with the global weights. if you want strength to be worth much more than all the other attributes, give strength a higher weight. additionally if you want attributes to be worth more than the single anger trait, set the trait weight (not the anger weight) lower than the attribute weight. save the custom role, refresh and see if the rankings are closer to what you expected.

keep in mind that when you change the global weights within a role, that's essentially overriding the global weight you set in the defaults. so if you find a nice balance within an individual role, you may want to apply those weights globally for all your roles. in my experience, combat roles often need special weights, as in my opinion, preferences are less important and attributes more important than general labor roles.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2013, 08:13:34 am »

Post to keep track of new therapist thread.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

aocarson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:23 am »

@Dradis, i realize there's a lot of people who would appreciate an osx port, unfortunately at the moment i don't have any means to develop nor test on that platform, so i can't really move forward with anything. however, i believe the last 'official' DT version did support osx, and if that's the case it should be possible to merge those changes into this branch. again though, i can't verify this.

Hey splinterz thanks for the info.  I was trying to work from the .6.20 version of DT which compiles and runs on the Mac, then looking at your branch and comparing file by file to figure out what changed and to try and get it to run.  I'm no programmer and it seems like the unix and windows code is c++ where the OSX code was objective-c.  This endeavour is beyond me.

Thanks!

Dradis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2013, 12:57:12 pm »

That's understandable.  I'm just surprised there isn't a seasoned programmer who is familiar with Mac OS, considering how many people have been involved with Dwarf Therapist at various branches of the projects. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 222