Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515053 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: North Korea Threatens Nuclear Strike On United States
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2013, 02:45:11 am »

Assuming NK is rational, I don't think they'll carry through. To me, it looks like they're just raising the ante, trying to get some leverage somehow.

For one, it won't nuke SK unless NK is on its death bed, in which case they'll lob a bomb at SK just out of spite. Reason: Seasonal winds ensure NK will be irradiated come summer, as there's a seasonal southeasterly wind that blows from the Sea of Japan/East Sea to the penninsula.
Two, China strongly recommnded they don't do it, and China has 70% of NK's imports in its hand, and also provides most of NK's oil.
Three, unless NK is really dying every day at a palpable, irreversible pace, aggressive actions will only cause everyone to punch NK up giddily. Especially if China doesn't help, or only reluctantly helps.

On the other hand, NK has a largish upper hand here, in where Seoul (1/5 of SK's total population) is within artillery range of NK, as one internet goer found out through investigating Google Maps. Seoul's practically blanketed with artillery fire ranges. Because SK tends to think about minimializing citizen casualties, that's a huge thing to consider. Also why the US and SK haven't covertly bulked up troops and waged a three-day war—Seoul is basically hostage here. Roughly 10,000,000 people.
The weird thing is that this is a really conditional upper hand. Once NK uses it, NK won't have a chance against the many layered alliances and SK's immediate response. Outdated soldiers can only go so far. Though SKorea will most likely be half dead by then.

So, NK has a card that is influential but a losing card, a newly found card that's all-powerful but hard to use, and ... pretty much it. I think. O_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2013, 02:48:06 am »

If it isn't too personal, what part of the country are you in Skyrunner?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2013, 02:51:46 am »

Seoul, Soul of Korea. :3

Also hostage of Korea.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2013, 02:53:51 am »

Fuuuuuuck...
How is it over there right now? General populations attitude to the situation? Are people trying to get out or do they feel pretty much safe?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2013, 02:58:42 am »

Nothing much. NK's pretty much the crazy brother up north who always does crazy stuff. They haven't done anything yet...
The top ten search keywords on the portal site 97% of Koreans visit daily, NK isn't in it.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2013, 09:07:26 am »

As others have already said, the fall of NK is historically inevitable. The real question is what will the reunited Korea call itself? Can't go for United Korea, UK is already taken. I vote Mega Korea!
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2013, 09:09:01 am »

I would like to put Kong Korea in the hat. I know I'm mincing my asian cultures a little, but I think we can be flexible.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2013, 09:11:24 am »

As others have already said, the fall of NK is historically inevitable. The real question is what will the reunited Korea call itself? Can't go for United Korea, UK is already taken. I vote Mega Korea!

Or call it Korea?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2013, 09:11:40 am »

New Korea.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2013, 09:17:33 am »

I support that notion.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2013, 09:41:52 am »

Also hostage of Korea.
well i hope for you guys good luck (i really do) and know that we americans will rush in really pissed off if NK decides to open the box o fun. From my family's stint in the military, the korean post of service was very serious due to the then and current nature of the situation. The artillery will be much of a problem, and maybe would take us maybe a hour to scramble bombers to disable them

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2013, 10:07:59 am »

Also hostage of Korea.
Now would be a great time to invest in a bunker and a emergency kit.

It seems increasingly like NKorea is boxed in to it's comment's. However, if the US and South Korea can avoid provokiing him further for a while,(hard given the upcoming military excersises, but not impossible) he'll be able to calm-down/back-out.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:24:57 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Preparing For War
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2013, 02:44:02 pm »

BBC journalists are reporting that NK officials are spreading news stories about "the pending invasion" to thier citizens and issuing camoflauge netting to public transport. To make that makes it sound more and more like a method of spreading fear to instill loyalty in a people who have no other source of information and less and less than a threat with menace backing it up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:50:53 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 341