Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515071 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Preparing For War
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2013, 02:49:27 pm »

I'll believe it when they actually move troops to the border. NK has done this so many times just in my life time, it's rather like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. This isn't the first time they've said stuff like this, both to pressure the international community and manipulate its citizenry.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2013, 02:59:32 pm »

ptw

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2013, 03:17:47 pm »

North Korea is hyped so much as the evil villain that could prove a danger to the rest of the world, but their military technology is laughable. They spend most of their budget on guns and they *still* don't have much better than wwII era weaponry. If war happens they will be curb-stomped into submission pretty quickly.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2013, 03:19:20 pm »

North Korea is hyped so much as the evil villain that could prove a danger to the rest of the world, but their military technology is laughable. They spend most of their budget on guns and they *still* don't have much better than wwII era weaponry. If war happens they will be curb-stomped into submission pretty quickly.
Yup, we knoz. NK isn't the problem. The first strike and the aftermath are. Remember, they got nuclear weaponry, and a whole lot of ww2 artillery aimed at Seoul.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2013, 03:21:30 pm »

The thing is that ebbor has it right

It has nothing to do with whether or not North Korea can take over the world.

It is that North Korea is powerful enough to actually hurt people before we could stop them.

It is why we would be concerned with a psychopath with a rifle even if we have surrounded him with cops. He can still shoot someone dead.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2013, 03:24:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure exactly nobody believes that North Korea can take over the world.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2013, 03:26:37 pm »

WW2 Weaponry is still pretty darn scary.  I don't think we have anything that can destroy bunkers built into the middle of mountains or thousands of artillery shells flying towards Seoul.

Sure, we'd win eventually, but it would be messy as fuck.  Don't expect the civilians to be on our side either.

It won't be so bad if you live overseas, but people in South Korea, and to a lesser extent, Japan could be in trouble.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2013, 03:28:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure exactly nobody believes that North Korea can take over the world.
North Korea does.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2013, 03:30:37 pm »

The guys that made homefront did.
Homefront was originally about China.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2013, 03:31:41 pm »

North Korea does.
As far as I've seen, they have no interest in world domination.  Most of their propaganda revolves around unification with the South and independence from the influence of other countries.  Juche is a very Korean centric philosophy. 

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2013, 03:34:39 pm »

Isn't Seoul one of the most technologically advanced places on the planet? Why haven't they just set up the Beehive Barrier yet? Warning: Tvtropes link. Also, I'm just posting to watch.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2013, 03:40:33 pm »

WW2 Weaponry is still pretty darn scary.  I don't think we have anything that can destroy bunkers built into the middle of mountains or thousands of artillery shells flying towards Seoul.

Sure, we'd win eventually, but it would be messy as fuck.  Don't expect the civilians to be on our side either.

It won't be so bad if you live overseas, but people in South Korea, and to a lesser extent, Japan could be in trouble.

And the not inconsiderable number of US troops over there as well

Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2013, 03:43:08 pm »

On the bright side, a non-inconsiderable portion of the Seventh Fleet is probably already prepared to bomb NK's side of the DMZ to dust at a moment's notice.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2013, 03:54:31 pm »

They're not all that prevalent, I'd argue. Spec ops and Medal of Honor, for example. However, showing the homeland and it's familiar sights is a fairly easy way to build tension and purpose into a game.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2013, 03:55:37 pm »

The guys that made homefront did.
Homefront was originally about China.
Evidently they changed their ideas, then.

Also, why is it in FPSes, America always gets invaded by a cold-war enemy? Mainly, Russia or China?

Because being invaded by Belgium seems significantly less likely.

Basically games are based on movies which were based on earlier movies about the cold war.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 341