Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 513860 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Also, the Pacific is fine to protect the US from missiles, but it doesn't work as well to protect SK.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I still think that NK won't be firing missiles on its own peninsula :P I mean... it deployed the missile(s) on the East Sea, whilst the best way to attack South Korea is aiming it somewhere inland actually at Seoul/other military targets around Seoul.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Besides, Nort Career (Seriously, that vice show had the it pronounced that way. The fuck? Was it the Korean accent or...?) wants to unite with South Korea. Or at least that's what they say.

Doubt they want to make their would-be new southern provinces a glass crater. Hard to farm on glass, I hear. Doesn't take water too well.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

If North Korea somehow manages to win the war against South Korea (very unlikely) and annex it (extremely unlikely), then Apple should build a giant monument to Kim Jong-un at their main headquarters.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Descan, the problem is the Best Korean are pretty crappy farmers, what with all the starving and stuff.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

So men, looks like war. We stand on th-

-wait, they haven't blown up anyone yet? Seriously?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

I think they don't actually want war, they just want a common enemy as to avoid civil conflict.
The problem is that when the US starts flying near the borders, a certain level of retaliation is expected for Kim Jong-Un to maintain his 'tough guy in control' image, so he ramps up efforts, so the US retaliates, so they retaliate, and war... war never changes.

Best we can hope for is China makes a quick stab to remove all current power, puts Kim Jong-Nam in as a puppet, and claims that they were 'Restoring the rightful leader' then we cross our fingers that the public buys it and doesn't start some uprising long enough to start some god damn food, shelter and education programs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Descan, the problem is the Best Korean are pretty crappy farmers, what with all the starving and stuff.

I think the problem might possibly have something to do with so much of their resources going to support Great Leader's mighty war machine.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I think the problem might possibly have something to do with so much of their resources going to support Great Leader's mighty belly.
FTFY
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The North Koreans aren't bad farmers themselves, but their agricultural policies are very badly managed by the central government. Soldiers also periodically carried out raids on farms, stealing whatever they could for themselves (at least in the 1990s during the great famine). Plus, the land is barren. To visualise the kind of mismanagement that goes on, think of China back in the Great Leap Forward fiasco in which nearly 45 million people died - "I know, let's plant everything REALLY CLOSE TOGETHER!"
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:30:34 am by Owlbread »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

The North Koreans aren't bad farmers themselves, but their agricultural policies are very badly managed by the central government. Soldiers also periodically carried out raids on farms, stealing whatever they could for themselves (at least in the 1990s during the great famine). Think of China back in the Great Leap Forward fiasco in which nearly 45 million people died - "I know, let's plant everything REALLY CLOSE TOGETHER!"
Well, and I don't know about North Korea, but one of the core problems in the Chinese example was local collective officials inflating crop yields so that Beijing didn't have a handle on how poor their harvests were until it was a major problem.

Example:
Glorious People's Collective Farm #1138 raises 40 tons of rice.
GPCF1138's Agricultural Commisar reports a yield of 60 tons of rice, thinking he's gonna get a nice promotion.
Beijing says, "Great job! Now send us half."
Net result: GPCF is only left with 10 tons of rice to feed its' thousands of villagers, instead of the 20 it should have had if the yield had been correctly reported.

Add in the ever-increasing inflation of reporting (because no one wants to report that their yield fell or was even stagnant) and declining crop yields, and pretty quickly you hit a state where the government was confiscating all food for redistribution to urban dwellers but thought the farmers were fine due to record crop yields. There were plenty of cases of massive deaths due to famine while the storehouses were full of rice. :'(

Bad, bad times.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds exactly like the issues the Soviet Union had with it's planned economy. The various companies had to meet certain quota's, but that wasn't always possible, and the penalty for not meeting a quota was pretty damn harsh. As in, "we're sending all you lazy workers to the gulag" harsh. So instead of spending the money they got to meet their quota on producing goods they'd spend more and more of it on bribing officials and inspectors. Planned economies typically seem to breed corruption like crazy. At least the way the communists classically ran them.

Also another example of bad ideas the Nampo Dam, ridiculous investment of resources, that lost them valuable farm land and as far as I know didn't even let them do the bigger river barges it was supposed to help them with.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

From what I heard, NK hasn't had a bad enough drought to cause the kind of starvation they're suffering from in years. Instead, what should go to the people goes to the leader cast, or is sold to wealthy Chinese people who doesn't want to eat poisoned Chinese food. The money then of course bring spent on more luxuries for the ruling class.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Anonymous vs. DPRK [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #643 on: April 04, 2013, 02:19:11 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Anonymous vs. DPRK [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #644 on: April 04, 2013, 02:20:36 pm »

And now Anonymous is involved.

Some poor sod is getting shot and his family sent to a 're-education camp' because of this.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 341