Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515400 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: -More Information Pending- [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #945 on: April 16, 2013, 02:15:18 pm »

What percentage of the North Korean population is in the military?

That includes reserves (do they even have reserves?) and active duty.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 16, 2013, 02:17:49 pm »

About 40%, but that is deceptive as the vast majority of that is reserves and they don't have anywhere near the capacity to mobilize more than they are. That's part of NK's problem. Everyone who is of prime working age is in the military, which is constantly mobilized to capacity.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 16, 2013, 02:39:20 pm »

North Koreans beginning to disbelieve their own government. How long do you think it will be before things go all Les Mis in the hermit kingdom?
Why did they start disbelieving the government only now? They've been listening to foreign media for years.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 16, 2013, 02:59:06 pm »

Same as why sexism in video games has become such a hot button topic recently, even though it was a problem for years and people have been talking about it for years.

Something broke the camels back, and now people are paying attention en masse, even though there wasn't really a large difference.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #949 on: April 16, 2013, 03:08:34 pm »

And that's the difference between Chuck Norris and Korean strongmen. The Koreans push the weights up, but Chuck Norris pushes the world down.
*There is no such thing as down.
NK: 1
Atheists: 0

Same as why sexism in video games has become such a hot button topic recently, even though it was a problem for years and people have been talking about it for years.

Something broke the camels back, and now people are paying attention en masse, even though there wasn't really a large difference.
Shoo! To the tropes thread with you!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 16, 2013, 03:16:26 pm »

Er, I always thought that video game characters were male-dominated because it's easier to follow a story when your character's gender doesn't conflict with your society-based subconscious notion of gender roles, and since video games generally focus on male gender roles, the character is more often male.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 16, 2013, 03:20:23 pm »

THAT is for the tropes thread, what Magma said. All I was saying was that something could be going on for years and years, as an undercurrent, and then suddenly break out into mass public consciousness, as seen in the sexism in games, and with North Koreans seemingly suddenly distrusting their government.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 16, 2013, 06:19:56 pm »

North Koreans beginning to disbelieve their own government. How long do you think it will be before things go all Les Mis in the hermit kingdom?
Why did they start disbelieving the government only now? They've been listening to foreign media for years.
I don't think anything in the article implied that it's completely new or becoming more popular all of a sudden, just that it's more popular now than it was and seems to be continuing to become more popular than it currently is.

As for why, possibly what Descan said, possibly the increased rhetoric and problems lately, possibly who knows, and possibly just because we're only now hearing about or interested in it for... well, the same possible set of reasons that it's happening.

Reality is complicated.

THAT is for the tropes thread, what Magma said. All I was saying was that something could be going on for years and years, as an undercurrent, and then suddenly break out into mass public consciousness, as seen in the sexism in games, and with North Koreans seemingly suddenly distrusting their government.
Except that notion is contested/not immediately obvious, as Magma's response indicates, meaning it's both a bit deraily and not a good analogy or example, as Magma's response indicates.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 16, 2013, 07:24:23 pm »

This kind of makes we worried, if NK's people start putting pressure on the Glorious Leader he might do something regrettable.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 16, 2013, 07:36:12 pm »

This kind of makes we worried, if NK's people start putting pressure on the Glorious Leader he might do something regrettable.
Exactly. In the wrong position, He might do things that would otherwise end his power. Think Assad. But, his words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 16, 2013, 07:42:46 pm »

The thrust of the article was that N. Koreans are getting more doubtful about the government as Dear Leader continues to make fiery claims and not back them up. Of course, it just gives an anecdote and it's difficult to know how true anything about the people's feelings is, given they hardly put out their own news.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #956 on: April 16, 2013, 07:44:01 pm »

Exactly. In the wrong position, He might do things that would otherwise end his power. Think Assad. But, his words are backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS.
Eh, his conventional weponz would do more damage.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 16, 2013, 08:51:39 pm »

Keep in mind, Best Korea has nuclear missiles like this guy has a monster truck.

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 16, 2013, 09:11:13 pm »

Except that notion is contested/not immediately obvious, as Magma's response indicates, meaning it's both a bit deraily and not a good analogy or example, as Magma's response indicates.
What, the notion that people are talking about sexism in games? I... don't see how the notion that people are talking about it is contested.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 16, 2013, 09:25:07 pm »

Keep in mind, Best Korea has nuclear missiles like this guy has a monster truck.

You could do some decent damage with that.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 341