Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 513837 times)

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile

It's my birthday tomorrow. :(
Interesting, but irrelevant unless you are Kim Jong-un.

...!
Dear god. He's been among us the whole time.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's my birthday tomorrow. :(
Interesting, but irrelevant unless you are Kim Jong-un.

...!
Dear god. He's been among us the whole time.
What would your father say?!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

How did that post end up in here, of all places?!
* Yoink  totally isn't Kim Jong-un. Totally.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

How did that post end up in here, of all places?!
* Yoink  totally isn't Kim Jong-un. Totally.

Right... Sure you aren't... When are you going to hook me up with that sweet OS of yours?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Kim Yoink Un. It all makes sense now.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By request, another portrait of Kim Jong Un Yoink:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Even tho it says acetech09, I can't take the credit. Enjoy.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Suddenly everything appears as though through a lens of greater clarity.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The cuban ship was clearly just trying to send supplies to the Nigerian Prince.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So my teacher told us we needed to write an persuasive essay then assigned us our topics and stances. I'm supposed to write an essay advocating the invasion of North Korea...

Any ideas?
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Do it from the perspective of something like a former Soviet Union nationalist, wanting the western dogs and their puppets to bleed themselves out in fruitless, wasteful wars.

E: For the persuasive aspect, you could talk about the benefits inherent in breaking up a hyperpower or introducing more superpowers (by breaking current superpower strangleholds on developing nations) to the global stage. Competition and all that rot.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:37:12 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

So my teacher told us we needed to write an persuasive essay then assigned us our topics and stances. I'm supposed to write an essay advocating the invasion of North Korea...

Any ideas?
-North Korea is an increasingly unstable threat that must be taken down now before they go off the deep end.
-It is immoral and hypocritical to allow other human beings to persist in a totalitarian state just because it would inconvenience the rest of us to liberate them.
-The existence of North Korea and the existence of democratic states are inherently unable to coexist, and will continue to conflict until one or the other is destroyed. The correct choice is obvious.
-(If American) We owe a debt to both the South and North Koreans by becoming geopolitical involved with them to reunite Korea, we are ultimately responsible in part all the hardship that both sides have suffered as a result of the division.
-Kim Jong-un is absolutely fucking insane.
-(If American) The end of North Korea means a weakening of China, a weakening of China means the continued dominance of the United States, the continued dominance of the United States is in the interests of everybody.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any ideas?
-North Korea is an increasingly unstable threat that must be taken down now before they go off the deep end.
-It is immoral and hypocritical to allow other human beings to persist in a totalitarian state just because it would inconvenience the rest of us to liberate them.
-The existence of North Korea and the existence of democratic states are inherently unable to coexist, and will continue to conflict until one or the other is destroyed. The correct choice is obvious.
-(If American) We owe a debt to both the South and North Koreans by becoming geopolitical involved with them to reunite Korea, we are ultimately responsible in part all the hardship that both sides have suffered as a result of the division.
-Kim Jong-un is absolutely fucking insane.
-(If American) The end of North Korea means a weakening of China, a weakening of China means the continued dominance of the United States, the continued dominance of the United States is in the interests of everybody.

Your first point is actually my current main point of the paper. I'm trying to stay away from moral cases for the invasion, because my professor told me he won't be shy about drawing parallels between the proposed North Korean Invasion and Vietnam/Iraq/Pakistan.

About how much is known about NK's current military prowess? Earlier in this thread someone claimed they had hundreds of artillery
emplacements aimed at Seoul, South Korea.

Do it from the perspective of something like a former Soviet Union nationalist, wanting the western dogs and their puppets to bleed themselves out in fruitless, wasteful wars.

Trying to be serious here.  ;)
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Your first point is actually my current main point of the paper. I'm trying to stay away from moral cases for the invasion, because my professor told me he won't be shy about drawing parallels between the proposed North Korean Invasion and Vietnam/Iraq/Pakistan.
You're going to have to address that whether you use moral arguments or not....Pakistan?
About how much is known about NK's current military prowess? Earlier in this thread someone claimed they had hundreds of artillery
emplacements aimed at Seoul, South Korea.
Not much is known for certain. They have lots of artillery pointing over the DMZ, the question is how well they've been able to maintain it and how good their supply lines are. They have plenty of parade forces that look impressive, but that's all they ever show the world. All available evidence suggests everything else is not even remotely as well maintained. I noticed back during the Channel 4 documentary that their police don't even carry guns.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

As MSH suggested, just go for the good ol' neocon application of democratic peace theory.

1. The least likely pair of states to go to war are two democracies.
2. It is good to minimize the possibility of war.
3. Therefore, autocracies should be invaded and forcibly converted into democracies whenever the political capital can be mustered and a weak target is available.

If you need an example, just bring up Iraq. It worked so well, too; they're holding free elections and not going to war with anyone! We don't even need to fabricate evidence of WMDs for a casus belli to invade North Korea, either, and the cover story about ending human rights abuses sounds even better.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Trying to be serious here.  ;)
That was unfortunately only about half not. The frank fact of the matter, as, from what I've seen, has been fairly well established every time the subject of invading NK has came up, is that it's an absolute lose situation for everyone that would be involved in most invasion scenarios. N+SK comes out worse, any Western support involved comes out worse, any non-Western support comes out worse, multiple groups (Such as China, who have a non-zero chance of just letting NK sink in the case of an invasion) that may or may not get involved directly either end up worse or no better. No one directly or indirectly involved wins.

More or less the only group that's going to gain any benefit, at bloody all, from an NK invasion is a mostly uninvolved* third party that wants the involved to be weakened. It's a powerful likelihood that even the NK populous would be in a worse position from it for at-minimum several years out.

*Mostly, of course, being because the major powers getting involved and screwing themselves over (which is an unavoidable results of an invasion, pretty much no matter how you cut it) would have global consequences regardless.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 341