Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 435662 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile

"What's the ship's name? Also, what sort of paradoxes are we talking about?""

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile

((This statment is false?))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Tall order.

"So we're up against some sort of super-intelligence, or rather super-will, that might erode our selves over time. How much time approximately do we have once connected?"
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Milno sighs. Intelligent people from up above and their rather stupid decisions.

"If you said it happens to the old ones sometimes, it means that it happened before. What were the results of those cases?"
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((This statment is false?))
((I'm asking because I think these simple "the next statement is false, the previous statement is true" paradoxes aren't someting a thousand year old entity would get confused by. I'm guessing we'll be looking at something far more complex and abstract))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I'm asking because I think these simple "the next statement is false, the previous statement is true" paradoxes aren't someting a thousand year old entity would get confused by. I'm guessing we'll be looking at something far more complex and abstract))
(("Should I simply gate into the heart of UWM and reduce everything to atomic dust for the lulz? I mean, I can do it and it's not like they can do much about it."))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Jim rubbed his forehead. "All right. How do we do that?"
"We use an amp based system to modify the brain chemistry of the individuals that make up the whole. Merged though they are, each brain is still functional, like a cell in an organism. You and your team will use the Neural interface to go in, find whatever the problem is and eliminate it."

"What's the ship's name? Also, what sort of paradoxes are we talking about?""
"Name is unimportant. Or more specifically I don't know, I wasn't told. Ghostships don't usually have names though, just numerical designations.  As per the paradox, I guess you could call it less a paradox and more a sense of cognitive dissonance. It's stopped responding because it's thinking about it, continuously looping through it's own memories and trying to find an answer for itself. It's not a paradox like in computing so much as an internal  conflict. It's having an internal debate and we don't want it to end up deciding that omnicide is the best solution. These things were made as last ditch Weapons of mass destruction remember, killing is all they really know."

Tall order.

"So we're up against some sort of super-intelligence, or rather super-will, that might erode our selves over time. How much time approximately do we have once connected?"
"Erosion is not the issue. The issue is detection. If it were to turn it's full attention to you,  or to this ship, there would be no recourse. We would all simply die. We've isolated where we need to send you, to the memories in question, the key is to get in, stay hidden and find which one or ones are causing the problem. At that  point we delete them. Done right the thing will simply go right back to what it was doing, forgetting the problem all together."

Milno sighs. Intelligent people from up above and their rather stupid decisions.

"If you said it happens to the old ones sometimes, it means that it happened before. What were the results of those cases?"
"It only happened one other time that I am aware of. That time the Ghostship decided that it's memories of the time after the Altered war were pointless. It promptly erased them up to the point where it was given it's final mission and then began scorching worlds that it had burnt long ago. It eventually stopped when it reached one that was actually occupied, saw there were no altered and started sending very confused messages to a dozen different planets, asking where it should go next.

We don't think it would be dangerous, at least not to humanity, but it's simply got far too much power to gamble on it's pacifism. Not to mention the public reaction seeing something as mythical as these things are reduced to that."

"Anything else?"

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile

Maurice's eyes widened slighlty as he heard the technician.
Ghostship. Damnation.
And at a vital point of the UWM defense. Just like in those simulations.

If it's not a cognitive loop, what else could it be? And what are supposed to do in that case?
If someone - something - was trying to attack the UWM from outside our galaxy, specifically from this angle, this jump point could be of great use to the attacking force, right? Could that be a case of sabotage of some kind? Even if it's less of a sapient enemy and more of an intelligent force of nature, entering our galaxy is still easier from here, and thus the Ghostship could have simply been in its way.
Do we even know that it is still there, and not have simply been destroyed? Or maybe burnt out on the inside leaving a husk of a ship, if we have visuals on it?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 05:57:37 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

"My question was more 'what do we need to do' than 'how do we do it', but seeing as you answered it I don't really have any other questions." Jim leaned back in his chair. "You four go ahead and ask all you like, though."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile

Also, what is the plan for the worst-case scenario - the Ghostship having already decided to go omnicidal, one way or another? Assuming us remaining undetected at the moment of discovery, of course.
Is there any self-destruct mechanism? Or maybe brainwipe option for later rebrainwashing the Ghostship back into UWM service?

Why would the Ghostship destroy us upon detection? Is it that we are inside its mind that triggers us as foes, it being hostile to humans while in cognitive loop, or in general? Is there a point where our detection would not bring our destruction, like having erased the problematic memories, or left its mindspace? Is there a chance of it destroying Haidal anyway after the successful completion of our mission?

Finally, will we have some form of communication with you, or are we on our own if - when unanticipated things happen, and we are off any plans? Could you give any more tips in case for existing and improvising in those conditions? Like, say, what to do if we have to preserve our minds for longer period of time than anticipated.

((@GM Barraging with questions in case I won't be able to ask them later.
Also, OOC one: Will you roll for us possibly being detected as we approach the Ghostship, i.e. before us having the chance to screw up the mission? Like you do with hotdrops? :P ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Should we try to keep communication to a minimum once we're in or it wo'nt attract much attention?" Milno asks, smirking. Yeah, the public probably wouldn't like to discover sentient weapons of mass destruction were prone to acting like HMRC members. "In fact, do you have a good idea of what we should avoid doing so we won't attract its attention?"
>Yes?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

Do any of you guys know anything about ghost ships?

Ask the ghosts.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Maurice's eyes widened slighlty as he heard the technician.
Ghostship. Damnation.
And at a vital point of the UWM defense. Just like in those simulations.

If it's not a cognitive loop, what else could it be? And what are supposed to do in that case?
If someone - something - was trying to attack the UWM from outside our galaxy, specifically from this angle, this jump point could be of great use to the attacking force, right? Could that be a case of sabotage of some kind? Even if it's less of a sapient enemy and more of an intelligent force of nature, entering our galaxy is still easier from here, and thus the Ghostship could have simply been in its way.
Do we even know that it is still there, and not have simply been destroyed? Or maybe burnt out on the inside leaving a husk of a ship, if we have visuals on it?

"We'll worry about that when we come to it. For now, this is our most likely option."

Also, what is the plan for the worst-case scenario - the Ghostship having already decided to go omnicidal, one way or another? Assuming us remaining undetected at the moment of discovery, of course.
Is there any self-destruct mechanism? Or maybe brainwipe option for later rebrainwashing the Ghostship back into UWM service?

Why would the Ghostship destroy us upon detection? Is it that we are inside its mind that triggers us as foes, it being hostile to humans while in cognitive loop, or in general? Is there a point where our detection would not bring our destruction, like having erased the problematic memories, or left its mindspace? Is there a chance of it destroying Haidal anyway after the successful completion of our mission?

Finally, will we have some form of communication with you, or are we on our own if - when unanticipated things happen, and we are off any plans? Could you give any more tips in case for existing and improvising in those conditions? Like, say, what to do if we have to preserve our minds for longer period of time than anticipated.

((@GM Barraging with questions in case I won't be able to ask them later.
Also, OOC one: Will you roll for us possibly being detected as we approach the Ghostship, i.e. before us having the chance to screw up the mission? Like you do with hotdrops? :P ))

"If it goes omnicidal...lets just say that it won't be our problem anymore."

"It is only while you are in it's mind that it will consider you a threat. You're a foreign presence inside it's brain, after all. It will try to repulse you, push you out. And while that won't kill you the shock of it could put you comatose. The danger is less that it notices you in it's mind, more that it notices you so many times that it gets curious where you're coming from and decides to look around. It shouldn't find this ship threatening once the correct memories have been cleared. "

"We'll have some degree of communication with you but it will no doubt be a bit spotty. For the most part consider yourself on your own."

"Should we try to keep communication to a minimum once we're in or it wo'nt attract much attention?" Milno asks, smirking. Yeah, the public probably wouldn't like to discover sentient weapons of mass destruction were prone to acting like HMRC members. "In fact, do you have a good idea of what we should avoid doing so we won't attract its attention?"
"There are two types of memory, Hard and soft. Soft is half remembered things, that blurry haze of images or sensations of places or times, or even just impressions of things you don't quite remember. It makes up most of the "world" where you're going to be going. You should be fairly safe in the soft memory since everything else there will be so strange that it would require some very distinct effort on your part to be noticed.

The danger is in the areas of hard memory. These are moments that are very well remembered, either by the Ghost ship or one of it's component brains. They'll play out like movies on a loop, and you'll be inside them. When you're in there, try to look like you belong. Take on forms similar to others, don't talk about things that are out of place for the situation. And most of all don't interact with the person to whom the memory belongs. They'll be easy to see, considering the memory is only within their cone of vision and everything else in that pocket world is absolute darkness."

Do any of you guys know anything about ghost ships?

Ask the ghosts.

Scary things.

Saw one once.

It tore a battle ship in two.

I am become death, destroyer of worlds.

Nothing stands before them.

Wonder.

What does it think of while drifting alone?

Fear them.

They are gentle, they know no other way.

They are cruel, they know no other way.

"Anything else? Or are we ready to go?" The man asks.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:47:09 pm by piecewise »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Am I ready for a suicide run inside of the collective mind of a thousand year old machine of annihilation? Hell yeah  I am." "Right?""Eeeeh...no." "Ah, crap. Really?" "Well, there's no way out of this anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Besides, what could possibly go wrong?" "You're right! We've got this!" "Moron..."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

"If Milno, Gorat, and Maurice are ready, then I am too. But if there's anything else you guys want to ask, go ahead."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 243