Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 435744 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team
« Reply #3075 on: January 04, 2014, 02:40:17 pm »

((The Doctor said might! MIGHT!))
Quote from: Xantalos way earlier in the combat thread
Dude. This is ER and you didn't assume the worst? I am disappoint.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: January 04, 2014, 02:41:21 pm »

((The Doctor said might! MIGHT!))
Quote from: Xantalos way earlier in the combat thread
Dude. This is ER and you didn't assume the worst? I am disappoint.
((Well excuse me for trusting one of the most experienced members of the HMRC to know how to warn children. Or anyone, really.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: January 04, 2014, 03:09:41 pm »

((Well technically, "might" was right. If you hadn't so spectacularly failed your first Will save, as well as the third and last one, you may have actually gotten the stuff under control, or perhaps fizzled out in a more controllable manner.

This is the same as saying that playing football with a nuclear bomb might be dangerous.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: January 04, 2014, 03:37:51 pm »

((Well technically, "might" was right. If you hadn't so spectacularly failed your first Will save, as well as the third and last one, you may have actually gotten the stuff under control, or perhaps fizzled out in a more controllable manner.

This is the same as saying that playing football with a nuclear bomb might be dangerous.))
((See, if someone was asking sweetly if they could play football with a nuclear bomb and asked me if it would be safe, I would have said no. Because, sooner or later, you are going to fail a Will save, and you can't stop playing without getting killed by the referee. Okay, that metaphor kinda got bent out of shape, but you get my point.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: January 04, 2014, 04:00:20 pm »

((See, if someone was asking sweetly if they could play football with a nuclear bomb and asked me if it would be safe, I would have said no. Because, sooner or later, you are going to fail a Will save, and you can't stop playing without getting killed by the referee. Okay, that metaphor kinda got bent out of shape, but you get my point.))
((Okay. So now, imagine you don't rightly know how the bomb works. You might know it would take an effort to get it to detonate, but now imagine that, on top of that, the person asking had just disassembled and reassembled the bomb using a device that you know even less about. All you know is that it was still a nuclear bomb, and something going wrong with it will make a mess, but you don't rightly know what would happen.

So the Doktor was in the same situation. Quoth the Doktor,:
Such things may be dangerous, Manipulator batteries do not carry electrical charges.
Evidently he knows more of the manipulators than the average person, but he is far from an expert (that would be the AM). Both the pill machine and the battery itself are essentially blackbox. Combining a known unknown danger with a known unknown beneficiary (as the pill effects were, so far, mostly not immediately harmful to the user), from a knowledgeable but out-of-depth Doktor's standpoint, results in a collective *shrug*. He doesn't know what will happen. The pill would change you, and the manipulator batteries change the universe, but the end result is less two plus two and more logbattlecruiser(turquoise). So you got what you got. A statement of possible danger and a nebulous warning.

In retrospect, you really should have asked the AM.))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3080 on: January 04, 2014, 04:17:46 pm »

All right, this place is done for. Easier to condemn and rebuild elsewhere, where there's no radioactive crater or Grate anomalies. Steve, anywhere else in particular you want us to survey now or are we clear for tunnel diving and what salvage operations we can do in this area?

Inquire to Steve as to new survey locations.

At this point I suppose you can start thinking of where and how you want to rebuild. It's gonna be your facility, after all. We'll worry about demolishing the building later. No reason to map it out if it looks like a writeoff. 

gather the exosuit and its pieces as the nurse discatds them and deposit them in an empty crate for safe keeping. Use my lasers lowest power setting to burn "Team fund" onto the side of the crate.

Return to simus and the others.

You continue your magpie tendencies, snatching up the pieces of the exoskeleton before dumping them into your box.

That went nicely.
Await further instructions. If there are none, return to the ship.
Hmmm hmm hmm. Wait wait wait.

All right, this place is done for. Easier to condemn and rebuild elsewhere, where there's no radioactive crater or Grate anomalies. Steve, anywhere else in particular you want us to survey now or are we clear for tunnel diving and what salvage operations we can do in this area?
"XO, I believe our list of targets included the control building at the least. We should probably make some rounds through the areas where any combat happened at all, and assess the damage in whole before we start on salvage. None of the stuff in this crater is going to get less radioactive anytime soon anyway."

Note any salvageable equipment on the level for the report, and start climbing back out of the crater.

Mentally take note of the kind of ships that were parked around here. Civilian shuttles mostly, or were there any combat ships? Anything particularly interesting, standing out from the rest, that could be worth personally returning to?

The ships seem mostly civilian, or at least not armed.  There are maybe 20 that look salvageable, and about twice that number that are part fodder. None of them look particularly interesting, though with modifications they might be useful.

((Dude, just get a permanent marker or something you can write with from the AM and just write it on the crate by hand. It's easier, safer and you won't accidentally shoot someone.

Then again, this is the HMRC so it is kinda expected. In that case, go right ahead!))

"Yeah Steve, we've done all that can really be done here. It's best to just rebuild the whole thing from scratch. It'll save time, effort and you won't have to stay next to a radioactive hole in the ground.

So... What now?"

Inquire with Steve and follow his instructions.

>Help simus plan her dream house? Miyamoto is handling defense and offense, you guys can handle planning the non-com stuff.

Follow instructions from Steve/Team leader. Inspect the pistol that was in the briefcase
There are two pistols. One that shoots darts, the other that shoots, well, something more lethal.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: January 04, 2014, 05:59:07 pm »

((Okay. So now, imagine you don't rightly know how the bomb works. You might know it would take an effort to get it to detonate, but now imagine that, on top of that, the person asking had just disassembled and reassembled the bomb using a device that you know even less about. All you know is that it was still a nuclear bomb, and something going wrong with it will make a mess, but you don't rightly know what would happen.

So the Doktor was in the same situation. Quoth the Doktor,:
Such things may be dangerous, Manipulator batteries do not carry electrical charges.
Evidently he knows more of the manipulators than the average person, but he is far from an expert (that would be the AM). Both the pill machine and the battery itself are essentially blackbox. Combining a known unknown danger with a known unknown beneficiary (as the pill effects were, so far, mostly not immediately harmful to the user), from a knowledgeable but out-of-depth Doktor's standpoint, results in a collective *shrug*. He doesn't know what will happen. The pill would change you, and the manipulator batteries change the universe, but the end result is less two plus two and more logbattlecruiser(turquoise). So you got what you got. A statement of possible danger and a nebulous warning.
((I'm pretty sure that "Don't do it, you dumb kid!" would have been a better warning. Regardless of what the Doctor admits to knowing, he seems to know enough that he should realize what a bad idea it was.))

In retrospect, you really should have asked the AM.))
((That seems to be the conclusion, yes.))
Sig

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: January 04, 2014, 10:53:45 pm »

All right, we're pretty much done here. Steve, can I borrow a shuttle to find a better location for headquarters here, away from the anomalies?

Anton, I want you, Flint, and anyone else you'd like to help you to salvage ships, parts, whatever, if it's of value, I want you to try and get it out of that hole, and into a cargo bay or hanger if Steve has one we can use for it, otherwise, there's plenty of land. Put it where you won't need a rad suit to get to it. Ask Steve if you need any very-heavy lifting assistance.

Bishop, you're coming with me. I need someone who's a better pilot than I am if we get a shuttle. Just try not to nosedive while we're in it.

The rest of you are free to go unless Anton wants you. Head back to the Sword or join up with the anomaly team or flesh amp overload explorers. Or the diplomats, if you want to protect what populace remains from Lars.

Head back to the ship and get a shuttle if Steve'll let me.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:59:44 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: January 04, 2014, 11:21:17 pm »

head to antons salvage thingy. search for wheels, rotors and electric motors, basically anything i can mount on my exosuit or make a vehicle out of.
And look for old damaged exosuits, just because.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:09:13 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: January 05, 2014, 12:17:07 am »

head to the salvage yard. search for wheels, rotors and electric motors.
And old damaged exosuits, just because.

((What salvage yard are you referring to? The one Anton might be creating in a couple of turns?))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: January 05, 2014, 12:22:05 am »

((I've no time to write the action right now, but rest assured, Unholy, Auron will get to be doing pretty much exactly that, except a bit more directly. Or maybe in reverse.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: January 05, 2014, 12:35:44 am »

((Didnt grate catch his beetles in a salvage yard/pit thing?

Although if we are manually dismantling a ship i dint wanna miss that.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: January 05, 2014, 12:46:47 am »

((Five bucks says they didn't make it.
And it was more outside the settlement.))
Sig

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: January 05, 2014, 02:46:42 am »

((Five bucks says they didn't make it.
And it was more outside the settlement.))
((It was, if my spatial coordination through text is correct, somewhere under the Sword's cage. Grate basically took the elevator down from the Sword's cradle and loitered around there. So barring massive structural collapses, they should be safer than we are.))

Although if we are manually dismantling a ship i dint wanna miss that.))
((Indeed. ^_^))

Anton, I want you, Flint, and anyone else you'd like to help you to salvage ships, parts, whatever, if it's of value, I want you to try and get it out of that hole, and into a cargo bay or hanger if Steve has one we can use for it, otherwise, there's plenty of land. Put it where you won't need a rad suit to get to it. Ask Steve if you need any very-heavy lifting assistance.
Anton looks up, saluting in the general direction he thinks Simus is.
"Aye, XO. This here seems like a tidy bit of work."

He turns to look towards the rest of the team.
"Ну-с, граждане..." - he chuckles, recalling a quote from an ancient comedy movie, that got repeated all too often at his old workplace. His old boss was odd. "Citizens, alcoholics, freeloaders, hooligans... Who wants to do some work today? Heh."

"Okay, so with Simus leaving cleanup to me and us, here's what we do. Firstly, I'll try to secure us a salvage yard. There's a lot of stuff in there, and we don't want to be hauling radioactive hulks too far across a populated area, so we might need to artificially clear an area somewhere nearby.

Pancaek, if you don't mind helping us for a while longer, and you.. er, Thomas? Thomas. There's little work for light-loaders but the gruesome one. I, and maybe the other civvies would appreciate it if we hauled all the dead bodies that can still be recognized as such out of that crater, so we can pay proper respects later. Would be wrong to leave them there. I'll join you once I'm done with the setting-up.

Flint, and Auron, you're on primary salvage duty. I'll try to get you some help, and some heavy lifting, but for now your task is simple. Take my salvage chart, and prepare everything for being taken out. Ships marked for salvage are to be freed of debris and hauled out into an open area of the level, if you can, without further damage. Ships marked for parts are to be cut loose via any available means, tear them to pieces if need be, and I would prefer to see at least most of those pieces in the salvage yard first. We'll sort out the usable and valuable pieces once we're done decontaminating everything. If only for the safety of the unshielded people you might be walking past, hold off on the looting till then.
"

The orders dispensed, Anton addresses Steve. "Hello Steve. I don't know if you still have the ability to see everything we're doing with the Sword damaged, so here's my salvage chart from the shipyard. We've got a lot of stuff to haul out of there, and most of it is heavy and radioactive. We need basically three things - a large area to store four dozen ships in various stages of pulverized, some way to decontaminate said large area, and some help getting said ships out of the pit.

For the first, I assume we'll need a large-ish open plain of some sort. Wouldn't do to stockpile these things here, but I don't know if it's smart to haul them too far from the Sword either. Any pointers?

For the second, I'm assuming it's too much to hope for an easy solution. I guess if we had an easy solution we could just clear the pit itself, but as it is I think the best we'll be able to do is collapse the freestanding ruins in, pave it over with supercrete, lead plating and topsoil, plant a forest on top, and never speak of it again.

For the third, I'd assume we'll need to commandeer an intact ship or two to act as skycranes. Gilgamesh and Auron's exosuit won't be enough to haul whole ships up. Maybe you could direct Miyamoto or Jim to us, if they don't have more important tasks?

And finally, I don't suppose we have any procedures for dead civilians in place? There were a number of them in the pit, and I'm planning on hauling them out before we cover the whole thing up. Since we're keeping our face to the people, or maybe acting like we do, I don't know - we should probably face the consequences of mistakes like this one as well.
"

Dispense orders and movie quotes almost nobody will recognize. Send copy of salvage chart to Flint, Auron, and Steve. Converse with and request assistance from Steve. Once that is done, if no actions regarding the salvage yard, skycranes et al are necessary, start with moving the bodies to the top level of the pit.

((tl;dr orders for the team: Pancaek and Thomas help Anton move the dead civilians out of the pit. Flint and Auron prepare the more intact ships for hauling, and take the less intact ships apart for hauling.))
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:51:13 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: January 05, 2014, 04:35:16 am »

"Alright."
Corpse hauling duty. Like he said, neccesary. If not pleasant.
Thomas goes to haul up some bodies. If there's a shovel, spade, or anything that could be jury-rigged into one, take it and put it next to the pile.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 243