Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 435689 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team
« Reply #3105 on: January 06, 2014, 09:30:06 am »

If I'm needed for salvage duty (to tie the cables we're gonna tow the salvage with for example or to lift heavy stuff or to smash stuff) go and help where I'm needed.
Else, go and respectfully recover the bodies others can't reach due to radiation.

((EDIT: Oh, another idea for rebuilding: Put some of the important, sensitive things under stuff destroying and sensor scrambling anomalies like the aurora or the mustard gas. That way you reduce the chances of someone finding and/or messing with your sensitive stuff.
ARM: Creating more layers of shielding through the destruction of reality.))
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:45:37 am by Parisbre56 »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: January 06, 2014, 11:01:47 am »

Continues hauling bodies out of the pit so long as it's safe in regards to radiation. inspect the lethal pistol closer, what are we talking about here.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: January 06, 2014, 03:42:03 pm »

((EDIT: Oh, another idea for rebuilding: Put some of the important, sensitive things under stuff destroying and sensor scrambling anomalies like the aurora or the mustard gas. That way you reduce the chances of someone finding and/or messing with your sensitive stuff.
ARM: Creating more layers of shielding through the destruction of reality.))
((Simus will love your radically unconventional redecorating ideas.))

Miyamoto continues the conversation with Simus:
"I guess he didn't want to do it all by himself, so he asked me for help, yeah. For a galaxy spanning intelligence he's lazy like that, heh.

Joking aside, I like the idea of robobody sods. I don't think we should dismiss full organic sods just yet however. I perfectly understand your reservations with genemodding, but luckily, we have the Doc to help us with that. Besides, it's not an either/or story: we could always let the Doc set up a few flesh vats to grow our upgraded organic sods while you work out the details of your cybersuit soldiers. That would ensure we don't 'waste' any production capacity while we set up the other production lines, while also ensuring you can take the time in doing it right, instead of rushing it and ending up with a sub-optimal process. And the added benefit of not putting all our eggs in one basket, which is always a big plus in my opinion. Call me paranoid, but having a fully uniform fighting force seems like begging for the enemy to find that one weakness you didn't think of, then having them ruthlessly abusing it.

If the full robots are to much of a hassle to employ yet, we'll manage without them; Though Steve mentioned using them to defend our laser batteries, so maybe you want to check with him how far we stand in that respect.

Now, about defense, I don't have a detailed plan yet ((because I don't have the time in RL to work on that right now, aaargh)) but the general idea would be this:

We have an idea of where they'll land, since there are certain zones where our laser cannon batteries don't have much overlap. Basically, we bank on this: feign weakness, then surprise them with a minefield or hidden artillery to shell them with. We could have remotely controlled tubes that contain nukes to shoot their invasion forces out of the sky. In the zones we don't want them come though, we place a few of these automatic nuke launchers next to a bunch of empty dummy launchers, making us look stronger in areas we don't want them to land, like this general area or other main entrances.

In terms of troop disposition: I was planning on having three kinds of teams: a few teams that defend key areas we can't afford to lose, like ARES control or the Sword. Thinking about 60% of our assets would go to that. Next to that, a small team, only 3-5 people or so, that effectively fight with guerrilla tactics: once the enemy reaches this area, they can do whatever they think is most efficient in disrupting the enemy and causing chaos, dividing them up with hit-and-run attacks or exploiting opportunities. This area has several vital buildings after all, so i think it's worth the added defense. Remember how much trouble those UE's gave us? We easily smashed through the sods, but they drained a whole lot of our manpower with relatively little effort. Lastly, a mobile group that will either reinforce when any specific defense point comes under too much stress, or mount counter attacks when opportunities arise. Or if they make a move for an area where we didn't think they'd come or if they some sort of trick up their sleeve, this team would deal with that. This would take up the rest od our manpower. "

((Note: 'assets' includes things like npc sods and the like. I'll try to assign player characters to actually active teams, since the previous mission proved that defending something and doing nothing for a ton of turns makes for boring gameplay. It may not be the most sense IC, but I wouldn't want to condemn the rookies to sentry duty again while the veterans get to do the high risk stuff and hog all the glory bullets.))
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 03:49:04 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: January 06, 2014, 03:48:14 pm »

((Cyborg synthflesh sods?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: January 06, 2014, 03:50:39 pm »

((Cyborg synthflesh sods?))

((I think cyborg = full robobodies, like the ones you get for free if you 'die'. Synthflesh seems a bit too expensive to use on standard sods, though maybe if we upgrade them... Eh, it's Simus' call anyways, so ask Pyro what he means exactly.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: January 06, 2014, 03:53:36 pm »

((I meant a mixture of robot and synthflesh for some sods.
Does that weird reality-warping that lots of synthflesh makes happen when it's in a lot of little bodies?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: January 06, 2014, 04:12:55 pm »

((My support AI/companion idea utilizes custom bio-brains inside a specialized cyber/synthflesh quadruped weapons platform, capable of melee and ranged combat, providing light cover in a firefight, as well as dispensing medical aid and being inconsiderately fast in land travel. Depending on how easy it would be for the Doktor to set up mass production of custom brains, they could be a good addition to the ARMed forces.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: January 06, 2014, 04:36:09 pm »

"Permission granted. No sense getting yourself in danger, especially when radiation's involved. Just leave any blankets you have left over there so we can keep working."
"Will do."
Abandon blankets. Go back to the ship.
((Which thread is that? I hate to ask, but I'm sort of lost with the changed titles.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: January 06, 2014, 04:48:52 pm »

"Permission granted. No sense getting yourself in danger, especially when radiation's involved. Just leave any blankets you have left over there so we can keep working."
"Will do."
Abandon blankets. Go back to the ship.
((Which thread is that? I hate to ask, but I'm sort of lost with the changed titles.))
((Well, there's just three threads, so it's the one not named "combat teams" or "survey team". :P It's "Repair and Rescue". ^_^))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: January 06, 2014, 04:59:40 pm »

Does that weird reality-warping that lots of synthflesh makes happen when it's in a lot of little bodies?))
((Synthflesh is Voltron?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: January 06, 2014, 05:10:03 pm »

((Synthflesh is Voltron?))
((Or the other way around.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: January 06, 2014, 09:32:26 pm »

((I was thinking that the normal sods get non-synthflesh cybersuits. However, I think it might be prudent to introduce a new variety in Sod Commanders, sods that have the ability to take a general order ("Defend this location") instead of a stream of very specific orders (though our normal Sods should be updated so they have limited ability to act autonomous in case their commander gets taken out and the order stream stops, and allow multiple commanders so that control can be reasserted by another if the original is incapacitated) and then use normal Sods under them to carry out that order. Those would be the ones we give synthflesh. Also, we should call our frontline troops, cybersod or not, Armatures.))

Back to Miyamoto:

Oh, I'm sure the Doc is going to set up some stuff, after all, who's going to stop him? I just think that it'll be much more effective to have a cybernetic front line combatant than an organic, if genemodded, one. There's just too much that mechanical can do as opposed to even the most heavily modified organic, then again, it's the Doctor we're talking about, so perhaps he'll have a biohorror that'll surprise us in that regard.

Anyways, that plan, as much as it is, sounds like what I would've suggested, though I wouldn't have called it feigning weakness. The effect is the same either way, though - they try to drop over our laser batteries, they're hopefully blown out of the sky. They try to avoid them and they walk straight into a trap. One modification I would suggest is to the nuclear weapons - we should use neutron bombs as opposed to - or in conjunction with - straight nukes. A one kiloton ER warhead will nearly immediately incapacitate anyone within a kilometer of ground zero who isn't protected, and anyone unprotected within a kilometer and a half of it is guaranteed to die from the radiation, but the blast effects are lessened. The effect should scale down to our pocket nukes without issue, and refitting them shouldn't take long - it's just swapping out the radiation case.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:32:29 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: January 06, 2014, 09:37:11 pm »

...then again, it's the Doctor we're talking about, so perhaps he'll have a biohorror that'll surprise us in that regard.
((Xan Army.))
Sig

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: January 06, 2014, 10:38:10 pm »

((Are you guys open to other people commenting in on the military strategy?  If not, I apologize.

I think that before you write off organic stuff entirely, you should look at production times.  I mean, the UWM hasn't shown itself to be willfully stupid on a large scale before, so why would they use organic-only sods if robobody sods are entirely better?  Maybe you can vat grow a battalion of sod bodies faster than manufacture a battalion of robobodies.  Or maybe there's some other advantage.  But you can't know, and therefore can't make an informed decision, unless you look.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: January 06, 2014, 10:57:51 pm »

((Are you guys open to other people commenting in on the military strategy?  If not, I apologize.

I think that before you write off organic stuff entirely, you should look at production times.  I mean, the UWM hasn't shown itself to be willfully stupid on a large scale before, so why would they use organic-only sods if robobody sods are entirely better?  Maybe you can vat grow a battalion of sod bodies faster than manufacture a battalion of robobodies.  Or maybe there's some other advantage.  But you can't know, and therefore can't make an informed decision, unless you look.))

((Quantity may be a quality of its own, but I don't think that we want to sacrifice multiple qualities (endurance (can be replicated to a degree with genetic partition membranes treatment, but not as well), resistance to most environmental factors, less downtime in event of injury (again, replicable to a degree, with genetic fibroblast enhancement treatment, but nowhere near as well), far less logistical requirements (that's a biggie), flexibility in design, and more, for a potential increase in quantity (which will excaberate logistical issues, as well).

Also, comments are fine. I might pick them apart, but the act of giving them is all right.))
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:59:44 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 243