Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 435725 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team
« Reply #3135 on: January 07, 2014, 06:38:28 am »

((Why not use Terror Drones? Construct groups of small hand or arm sized robots, each equipped with different tools (laser, poison gas, breaching change, etc. or maybe even have them combine into more complex drones or tools). Give them a group AI, a shared intelligence good enough for them to do some basic problem solvong and work as a team to achieve their goals. The more they are, the smarter they become.
Then, put them on missiles. And the great thing is, if you build the missile right and if their ships don't have ultra sensitive sensors, you can use the following trick to bypass their point defense lasers: In a combat situation, they will be focused on destroying the missiles going on high speed or that are large enough to hurt them. Their point defenses will be controlled by a computer. By making the missiles explode and disperse the drones when hit, we can make them think the drones are harmless debris. Make the drones and their deceleration rockets look like scrap for extra camouflage. Thus, they will not fire on the drones and will focus on targets they perceive to be more threatening. ))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: January 07, 2014, 09:09:23 am »

((The best currently available semi-autonomous drone is the size of a softball. Largest thing it could properly terrorize is a large dog.

Also, I think you misunderstand the "point defense lasers" that will be used. These won't be like the modern "heat the missile till it explodes" lasers. If the anti-ship batteries of Mission 4 are any indication, these will be "blink-and-you'll-miss-the-missile-vaporizing" lasers. While the general idea might work, it's best utilized with larger robotic attack drones and specially-made suicide ships.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: January 07, 2014, 09:10:47 am »

((So you want the sentinels from Ghosts of Onyx?))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: January 07, 2014, 09:23:48 am »

I vote we fire replicators at them, there is no possible way that could end badly.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: January 07, 2014, 10:36:51 am »

((It'd need a will decomp on my part to work correctly so I could give an appropriate 'sacrifice yourselves to me when done killing everyone on the ship' switch thing.))
((There is no way this could go wrong.
Seriously, trying to control self-replicating horrors and failing is the basis of a zillion sci-fi stories.))

((I am suddenly reminded of Homeworld: Cataclysm. God forbid any of the Xanling boarding pods miss their target and drift off into space...))
((There's a pretty good chance they'd just end up falling back into the star, colloding with a worthless uninhabited chunk of rock, or zooming off into deep space, never to be seen again by living eyes.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: January 07, 2014, 11:01:48 am »

((Yeah, but the thing is is that these plans have actual profit to them should they succeed.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: January 07, 2014, 11:12:49 am »

((Yeah, but the thing is is that these plans have actual profit to them should they succeed.
((There are better, safer, and cleaner ways to take over a ship. The bioterror route has too many variables, and no direct plan or guarantee of success even should everything go right. I think it's at least theoretically viable though, so we can keep it as an auxiliary plan, but we certainly shouldn't depend on it.

I don't even want to go into the whole "civilians on board", "public image", and "message to UWM" matters. We really want to keep our trump cards hidden for the moment.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: January 07, 2014, 11:20:36 am »

((So do their competitors. Same profit, but lower risk of losing everything to an infestation of bioterrors.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: January 07, 2014, 11:21:37 am »

((Perfect Will decomp says 'what risk? I no know word risk.'
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: January 07, 2014, 11:24:01 am »

((*smack*
Bad Xan. Stop tempting Fate and Piecewise.
And remember: Even if the original is perfect, future generations may not be. Organics--really, anything that replicates itself--change through the generations. You're just begging for problems to come up.
And, again, that's ignoring issues like "Civilians," "Public Image," and "The UWM is smarter than those guys from the Alien and Dead Space franchises".))
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: January 07, 2014, 11:25:14 am »

((Oh, not if I have anything to say about it.))
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: January 07, 2014, 11:33:58 am »

((No. Seriously. There are no significant advantages over more conventional warfare, and many disadvantages, even if everything goes right.))
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: January 07, 2014, 11:44:12 am »

((I know that, but it benefits me in the long and short term, so I'm advertising it.))
Sig! Onol

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: January 07, 2014, 12:05:18 pm »

((I wanna use biohorrors for the hilarity value but... i also wanna board an enemy ship and loot the shit out of it whilst impaling people on the overcompensater Jim was nice enough to give me.

Can we have biohorror cavalry boarding parties?))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: January 07, 2014, 12:24:25 pm »

((I know that, but it benefits me in the long and short term, so I'm advertising it.))
((Luckily, you're not in charge.))

((I wanna use biohorrors for the hilarity value but... i also wanna board an enemy ship and loot the shit out of it whilst impaling people on the overcompensater Jim was nice enough to give me.
((When did we get overcompensators?))
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 243