Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 437113 times)

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team
« Reply #3255 on: January 16, 2014, 05:23:05 am »

(( Because we're salvaging the other 4 to repair the 6. Or at least, that's what I would assume.  ))
((...So if we don't fix the museum piece/potential museum, we'll be scrapping it?))
(( Parts of it, at least. If it really, truly is a museum piece, I'd bet the really interesting bits of it are just too old or esoteric to use. (Anyone need about 300 ancient suspension pods?) Also, a museum doesn't need functioning engines, just a mostly intact hull and deck structure, and for this salvage job I think we're more interested in the mechanical and electrical components than the hull.

Still, might be worth taking a closer look at it, make sure we aren't missing something about it. Cause at first glance, it looks like a flying target: Not armored enough to take to orbit, too slow to take us anywhere useful, and bigger than anything we can reasonably use. ))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: January 16, 2014, 05:42:22 am »

((I'm going to need a clarification on whether everything else will be dismantled to repair the six chosen ships, because I'd like to thoroughly examine the habitation pod when we have time. It wouldn't be sitting there if somebody wasn't using it for something, and if wasn't anything obvious, a mere look-see won't reveal it.

That said, the six ships I'd choose would be:

The Tug. Obvious choice is obvious, if anything will make a good assault ship it'd be that, though obviously not before some upgrades. It'll work on both ship assault and main defense portions of the upcoming event.

The Blackship-too. This one's going to stay here on Hephaestus in case Simus and the tech crew need to go on a mission of their own after the Sword leaves. In the meantime, it'll stay in reserve as a last-resort attack ship.

A Courier: Say what you will about how they can be useless, craft not designed to leave atmosphere tend to perform much better in atmosphere than true "aerospace" shuttles, especially in regards to speed. It will be left with the Mobile Response team so that if we are attacked from an unexpected direction, they can be on top of it immediately.

The unknown ship - I'd rather examine it more thoroughly before repairs, but if we have to make a choice now, we'll still need shuttles anyway, so...

The Transport - never hurts to have large cargo haulers, especially if we'll be planning massed equipment transport off-planet.

And one of the interplanetary hauler workhorses, because if anything the unknown ship should function in this role as well, so we don't really need another.

So, #1, #3, #5, #7, #8, #10.

Now, shall we give them names? :)

Also, another silly scribble.
Spoiler: Assault tug (click to show/hide)
))

Anton, once you're done pulling ships up and repairing them, I want you to see if there's anything you can salvage out of the mostly ruined admin building. Don't bring the place down on yourself, but if you can poke through and find anything that's possibly useful intact or reparable, it would help accelerate our setting up operations. Leave the scrap, though, and anything that would require major repairs. We'll get all that when we bring the place down after we fight back the UWM.
"Will do, XO. I think Auron's gotten that transmission too, because off he goes... I didn't know industrial exosuits could run that fast. Huh.

Anyway, this here will take a while, and we're really going to need more, and larger hands here. Some ships are going to need upgrades on top of extensive repairs, to say nothing of repainting. Can't have those UWM logos everywhere.
"

"Steve, can you lend us some construction equipment? And some basic exosuits for heavy lifting? Because we seem to have a bunch of people here, but not many who are actually capable of moving this scrap around. Some qualified repair personnel would also do some good, especially since I assume we need this done before the heat death of the universe."

Converse with Steve. Examine the modified ship and the habitation pod. Commence repairs. Leave the habitation pod alone unless we literally have nothing else to take parts from.

((I think the consensus is the same things that I chose. Or the votes are split between "two haulers" and "a hauler and a courier", with mine being the tiebreaker for the latter. Can we have some more opinions here?))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: January 16, 2014, 06:22:23 am »

((My only reason not to go with a courier (Gunship, anyone?) is that they can probably be fabricated fairly quickly, while the haulers might take a bit more time. And yeah, the museum piece probably wouldn't be scrapped for parts, it's just too old. And like Kri said: Anything we would take from it likely wouldn't detract its museum piece value much.

Still, I cast my votes thinking we got the scrap from ships we tore up, and used that. That was just a selection of hulls we could repair, and the rest would remain as they were.))
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:45:36 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: January 16, 2014, 06:44:17 am »

(( My opinion is that they're both pretty useless in the coming battle, at least in their default state.

The courier can't break orbit, so it's only use is as a rapid response vehicle, and I think we have better options than the courier. It depends on the speed / maneuverability of the courier. If it's better than the shuttles, great, we have some uses for it. Faster transport, maybe try and retro-fit it as a gunship, lots of options. If it's roughly equal to our shuttles... it doesn't have anything over our shuttles.

The hauler's can break orbit... just. But by all accounts they have no maneuverability, can't take a hit, and only gives us payload space. Maybe we could use them as a missile of sorts? Fill it full of nukes and launch it at a ship? Not sure how effective it would be, but I can't think of a lot of other uses for something with such poor maneuverability in a ship-to-ship situation.

Either would be more useful if we can be deceptive with them. I don't remember if Steve said if they know exactly what's happened or not, but if the only information they come in with is 'Planet gone dark', maybe we can get them to think all is well long enough to get a hauler into their orbit? ))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: January 16, 2014, 08:04:34 am »

Also, Radio, while I wouldn't mind being part of the order of battle and all that (I believe I would certainly be useful if I were), I believe Simus' place will be in HQ, directing the manufactory. After all, who says we can't be producing while they're trying to take us? We need not halt production just because of a war!

So, put me down for HQ defense.))

((Could you also repost your preferences in the combat thread? Easier if everything's in one thread.

If you want to defend the command room, that's ok for me, but that means none of our three synthflesh vets will be there for the main team. Too bad three of the five Bastards are braindead really, could've used the help. And Lukas to, this is the best possible mission for him. Oh well.

So if you insist on doing command room defense, I think I'll assign less sods there to make up. And depending on how many people want to do defense you might not get another player character. You can have Simus help direct forces or construction from there (not sure what we could build in such a small amount of time though), but if it comes under attack you'll still be expected to get out there and shoot some peeps yourself. That ok? if yes, repost preference in other thread.))

((I agree with Sean's choice of ships, his analysis is good, though I'd go for two haulers. We can use the sword's shuttles for on-planet stuff, while the haulers will be useful to get al the crap we're going to build for our war effort to the front lines later on. A planet that produces weapons won't help us if we can't get those weapons to where we need them. If we aren't allowed to take shuttles from the Sword, then I vote for two couriers for maximum mobility in the next battle.
However:
It will be left with the Mobile Response team so that if we are attacked from an unexpected direction, they can be on top of it immediately.
If possible, I'd like Reserve team to be mobile on their own. Easier if they need to get out in a hurry, and lessens logistics of getting a ship to them in time and assigning a pilot. That team shouldn't be too big anyways, and we can use the shuttles to ferry 'round assault team. We can use team fund to graft a jetpack to the reserve people who don't have one themselves.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: January 16, 2014, 08:14:23 am »

((@Sean, is that a fist strapped to the front of that shuttle? If so, I approve.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: January 16, 2014, 11:21:30 am »

Commence repairs on the agreed upon ships. Ask Steve what else is there for me to do.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3262 on: January 16, 2014, 04:02:15 pm »

What else is in this solar system? Asteroid belts, moons, gas giants, large/important planetoids? What's their importance to our economy and defense?
Does this planet have a moon or anything else in its orbit? Could we hide an array of sensors in the moon or if no moon exists, hide the sensors in orbital debris?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3263 on: January 16, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »

((I want number 9. And I don't know why.))

follow Auron.
TO THE COMMAND CENTER! SCAVENGE ALL THE THINGS!
Attempt to scavenge enough parts from broken machinery to repair one of tge fabricators with my repair bots.

If successful: have repair bots cut blocks out of the pooled metal from the nuke and carry it in to be converted into robot parts.

If unsuccessful: scavenge all tge parts and begin constructing the robot, will post details later.

((I vote ships 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10.))
Lets save time and roll to see how you do!

[4]
Your scav'ing of the internal parts of the building get you mostly everything you need! Still missing a few optional things, but this is enough to build a robutt!

Yay ROBUTT

Simus steps outside the zone to transmit some messages.

Steve, I need a few things to see if this really is a proper place for a headquarters. If temporary, depends on if we find any long-term effects. Just some land-line cable, a camera, and a monitor I can use with it.

If she gets both, she hooks up the camera to the land line and places it on the ground inside, stands on the outside with the monitor end of the cable, and fires her laser at the aurora, aiming at the ground inside where the camera could see it. If the camera's video gets through and we don't see the laser:

All right, it's good, at least for now. No resistance to kinetics, of course, but we shouldn't have to worry too much about bombardment, and hopefully we can keep them out of this crater, at the least. And that's if they figure out it's where our headquarters is.

Anton, once you're done pulling ships up and repairing them, I want you to see if there's anything you can salvage out of the mostly ruined admin building. Don't bring the place down on yourself, but if you can poke through and find anything that's possibly useful intact or reparable, it would help accelerate our setting up operations. Leave the scrap, though, and anything that would require major repairs. We'll get all that when we bring the place down after we fight back the UWM.

((I vote 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10. Not sure what 8 is, but couriers should be able to be manufactured quickly, so we don't really need them. And why would we want a relic? It belongs in a museum!

((Why not all?))

Not enough salvage. We might be able to build replacement parts, but at that point, it's easier to recycle the ship (except the museum piece) and just make a new one that works right off the assembly line.

Also, Radio, while I wouldn't mind being part of the order of battle and all that (I believe I would certainly be useful if I were), I believe Simus' place will be in HQ, directing the manufactory. After all, who says we can't be producing while they're trying to take us? We need not halt production just because of a war!

So, put me down for HQ defense.))

Your tests show that
1.the camera works, so apparently  you can run landlines in.
2. The laser doesn't enter.
3. Where the laser hits on the outside, there is a small amount of distortion. The aurora like effect gets more concentrated, more powerful.

((I'm going to need a clarification on whether everything else will be dismantled to repair the six chosen ships, because I'd like to thoroughly examine the habitation pod when we have time. It wouldn't be sitting there if somebody wasn't using it for something, and if wasn't anything obvious, a mere look-see won't reveal it.

That said, the six ships I'd choose would be:

The Tug. Obvious choice is obvious, if anything will make a good assault ship it'd be that, though obviously not before some upgrades. It'll work on both ship assault and main defense portions of the upcoming event.

The Blackship-too. This one's going to stay here on Hephaestus in case Simus and the tech crew need to go on a mission of their own after the Sword leaves. In the meantime, it'll stay in reserve as a last-resort attack ship.

A Courier: Say what you will about how they can be useless, craft not designed to leave atmosphere tend to perform much better in atmosphere than true "aerospace" shuttles, especially in regards to speed. It will be left with the Mobile Response team so that if we are attacked from an unexpected direction, they can be on top of it immediately.

The unknown ship - I'd rather examine it more thoroughly before repairs, but if we have to make a choice now, we'll still need shuttles anyway, so...

The Transport - never hurts to have large cargo haulers, especially if we'll be planning massed equipment transport off-planet.

And one of the interplanetary hauler workhorses, because if anything the unknown ship should function in this role as well, so we don't really need another.

So, #1, #3, #5, #7, #8, #10.

Now, shall we give them names? :)

Also, another silly scribble.
Spoiler: Assault tug (click to show/hide)
))

"Will do, XO. I think Auron's gotten that transmission too, because off he goes... I didn't know industrial exosuits could run that fast. Huh.

Anyway, this here will take a while, and we're really going to need more, and larger hands here. Some ships are going to need upgrades on top of extensive repairs, to say nothing of repainting. Can't have those UWM logos everywhere.
"

"Steve, can you lend us some construction equipment? And some basic exosuits for heavy lifting? Because we seem to have a bunch of people here, but not many who are actually capable of moving this scrap around. Some qualified repair personnel would also do some good, especially since I assume we need this done before the heat death of the universe."

Converse with Steve. Examine the modified ship and the habitation pod. Commence repairs. Leave the habitation pod alone unless we literally have nothing else to take parts from.

((I think the consensus is the same things that I chose. Or the votes are split between "two haulers" and "a hauler and a courier", with mine being the tiebreaker for the latter. Can we have some more opinions here?))

((Why not all?))

(( Because we're salvaging the other 4 to repair the 6. Or at least, that's what I would assume.

Definitely 1 and 10.  8 might be interesting, 7 also sounds good. After that, maybe a courier and a hauler? They're definitely the least interesting ones, but I don't think either is more useful than the other, unless we can use them deceptively, in which case the haulers would edge out the couriers.

And I agree with Tavik that I want to repair the lifeship just cause XD ))

So, 1, 2,5,7,8,10 for me

Help with repairs! Specifically, if approved for repair, get on board the modified ship (#8) and try and figure out how it's been changed and to what end.

Commence repairs on the agreed upon ships. Ask Steve what else is there for me to do.

We're gonna work repair as just happening. Because, As much as I'd like to fuck around and have you guys roll and search through stuff for parts and test pieces out and get your fingers pinched off in mechanisms, I'd also like this next mission to start before March (Since thats when DS 2 Comes out and I don't post for a week.)

Besides, you guys have enough repair skills that I'm sure the fatal flaws you'd leave in the ships would be minimal-ish. And this is more about planning anyways.

That number 8 ship seems to have been partially adapted to FTL, interstellar travel, but it's engines don't seem powerful enough to make it up to the speeds needed to jump. Maybe the conversion wasn't complete? Most of the frame is clearly from a hauler, but the electronics and plating are all new.

Anton:

Well, it's not like the habitation pod has many compatible parts with the newer stuff, being roughly 2000 years out of date. You'll set it aside for later.

The habitation pod is a big, rounded cylindrical thing filled with chambers positioned against the walls, with their "Floors" pointed away from the inner axis and a central tunnel or hallway that seems to be for zero g. The thing is pretty big, but is clearly part of a larger system that probably had dozens of these pods, each one turning to produce a sort of artificial gravity.

It seems like the workers used several of the chambers of this one as break rooms and places to slack off. It's got quite thick, solid walls and is very robust, so it survived the blast well. As per what it's doing here, you're not really sure.

Bishop:
You can think about how to arm these things.

What else is in this solar system? Asteroid belts, moons, gas giants, large/important planetoids? What's their importance to our economy and defense?
Does this planet have a moon or anything else in its orbit? Could we hide an array of sensors in the moon or if no moon exists, hide the sensors in orbital debris?

There are 4 other planets in the system. 2 closer to the sun, both very hot, and a gas giant out past Hephaestus.

This planet itself has 3 moons, two of which are basically oversized asteroids, one of which is a "proper" moon. There's nothing much else in the system in terms of human made stuff.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: January 16, 2014, 10:34:13 pm »

BUILD ROBUTT!

All dynamic bonuses granted by teammates will be greatly appreciated.

Spoiler: a few key details (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:36:16 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: January 16, 2014, 10:49:20 pm »

((You could send a message asking for help. I'd be willing.
Why are you making it so humanoid? 2 legs is unstable and weak. 6 legs would be better, more stable and could take more damage before falling over. Might need to scavenge more parts though.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: January 16, 2014, 11:03:10 pm »

((Because i wanted a jaegar :P))

Quote from:  Auron to all HMRC/ARM perssonell
To all technically minded personell,

I am currently building a "Giant Robot"tm over by the ruined command centre and i would like to kindly ask for your assistance, any contributions to its construction would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Auron.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: January 16, 2014, 11:05:22 pm »

((I sense a collective "Oh crap" coming.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: January 16, 2014, 11:18:13 pm »

Help Auron with his kludgebot jaeger. Try to sneak some extra legs on there.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: January 16, 2014, 11:53:04 pm »

((I'm going to consider Simus busy inside the aurora, surveying, and not receiving that message. She would go ballistic if she did get it. Mostly because Auron's wasting useful resources building something for himself (seriously, dude, it's not cool. The only reason I've not told you flat-out to stop IC and instead have been trying (albeit unsuccessfully) to get Anton to keep you restrained is because Simus doesn't know specifics (she's giving general orders and, while thinking Auron is a bit unscrupulous, isn't going to rag off on him without knowing what exactly he's doing)), and also a bit because mechs are absolutely fraking stupid (bipedal ones especially so). The latter is what I think both IC and OOC. The biggest we're getting (without involving synthflesh, and I'm still not going to be making mechs, even with synthflesh. The idea is just that bad, in my opinion) is battlesuit-sized (and only because I consider battlesuits to be powered armor, scaled up so that the operator's limbs only reach into the upper arm and thigh).))
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:57:21 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 243