Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 435717 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team
« Reply #3240 on: January 15, 2014, 09:11:29 am »

((Yeah, pretty sure 3 extra ships are favorable to 1 robot. If we can make combat vehicles from scratch on the planet then those would probably be better than anything one could cobble together from shuttle parts.

And remember: when you ask PW OOC, he'll answer OOC, but that doesn't mean Steve is down with it. PW=/=Steve.))

((Personally, I think that if they get ground forces on the planet and have a majority of power in orbit, then they've already won and ground forces don't really matter anymore. I'm sure we can produce a lot of ships once we have the whole planet going, but right now, we don't have it up to our standards so having more immediate ships available is a good thing in case of an early attack.))
((Read Miya's questions for Steve in the combat thread andhis conversation with Simus, it'll clear at lot of things out. Short story is the UWM still doesn't know we're in full rebellion mode, they'll think this is just a worker uprising. So they'll try to take their manufacturing planet as intact as possible. We'll use automated defenses to thin their ranks as much as possible, but once they get to this area we'll have to fight them in with good ol' conventional warfare.))

The Tug seems like a good choice for an assault ship, it would have powerful engines and enough mass capacity to really armor up the forward plate. Besides that we are really going to need a pair of fast troop transports for planetside action, a pair of more standard combat shuttles, and I really think we'll need at least one true "interceptor", a Glass Cannon/Fragile Speedster, all engines and a huge gun to respond to critical threats. Should probably make ship choices with that in mind.

From a PM with PW:
Don't worry about protecting the entire planet, we'll consider that later. The assault thats coming is basically gonna be them attempting to retake this base and execute all of you. Since it's just you they have to worry about, they're not gonna worry to much about taking the other parts of planet. They're gonna focus all their efforts on this area, since holding the admin base means potential control of the entire planet anyways.

((So I think we (as in, actual players) basically need to hold this base while letting our automated/remote defenses whittle them down.

So yes, we will need the kind of ships you just mentioned, but we can afford to think on a bit of a smaller scale.))

((Quoting from combat thread, more info there:

Quote from: tl;dr version, this is what I'd like everybody to respond to:
So; I’d like everyone to post what team you’d prefer and if you wanna go play space pirate (aka boarding team or not). Even if you’d prefer to sit in the Sword and not participate, I’d like to know.
Can’t promise everybody will get to be on their preferred team, but I’ll do my best.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:56:47 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: January 15, 2014, 03:23:18 pm »

((In the meantime, have a silly scribble.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm fairly sure the geometry of the shuttle doesn't actually allow that (to say nothing of any carrying capacity, but eh. :P

edit: on that note, if we do end up choosing six ships... any chance for some descriptions, PW? Pleeease? :) ))
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:27:33 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: January 15, 2014, 03:33:59 pm »

I asked piecewise if i could build a robot, he said yes. That equates to "Steve will let me" which is permission.
((Not true. piecewise speaks with many voices, and "can" usually refers to physical ability. Especially since you didn't ask something like, "Would Steve be fine with me building a robot from the spaceships we're supposed to be salvaging?"))

((I think we can do a lot more with 6 1 ships than with 1 6 kludgebots. Sorry dude.
((FTFY.
Spacecraft are well-designed, tested, and useful machines for any interplanetary organization. Kludgebots are handmade, amateur-designed, easily-mockable machines of being easily targeted by any weapon imaginable to man.))

((Or, really, anyone's permission? You just made a list and started assembling parts. None of the characters, Steve included, have the slightest idea what you're planning.))
((I'm not even sure if Grate knew what Auron was doing when he was helping.
He'd agree, but only because 11-year-olds' judgement is questionable.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3243 on: January 15, 2014, 04:43:28 pm »

(( I also vote 6 ships. Sorry, but when a large component of the coming battle is going to be in space, more ships is better. Though it would probably be more *interesting* to go for the robot, just because it will be amusing :P And somehow I imagine we could produce enough ships in a year to make it a moot point. Maybe not though? I'm not sure it's possible to grasp the output capacity of an entire planet that has been turned into a production facility.))

Help out Anton
((Personally, I think that if they get ground forces on the planet and have a majority of power in orbit, then they've already won and ground forces don't really matter anymore. I'm sure we can produce a lot of ships once we have the whole planet going, but right now, we don't have it up to our standards so having more immediate ships available is a good thing in case of an early attack.))

((Thing is, orbital power won't do much for them, they can't use their ships for ortillery (that's orbital artillery, ground bombardment) purposes, or even come too near to the planet, since we have control over the antiorbital/lander/giant guass slug laser batteries. And part of the idea is to let them land where we want them to land, where our laser batteries don't cover. Did I mention the minefields? Or the artillery already set to fire on those areas once the mines are done? Or the robots (actual proper robots, not kludgebots, depending on what PW says we got out of the robodome data) and/or cybernetic sods we're going to have on our side, for when the artillery tubes run out of nukes?))

Give video and data from the aurora exploration to Steve and inform him and Simus that it's ok and that it would be useful for hiding things.

Thanks, Flint. Steve, let's go see how much space we've got to work with.

Have Steve fly the shuttle to the outer edge of the aurora, disembark and look inside.

You see basically the same thing Flint did. Big, dark, cold, habitable. If it absorbs lasers from the outside then this might be very useful.

if currently gathered salvage is not needed to repair the 6 new ships:
head over to where all the molten metal pooled after the nuke went off an have the repair bots begin cutting chunks out and shaping them into mechanical shoulder and hip joints, structural supports and hull plating.

If currently gathered salvage is needed:
dejectedly allow it to be taken then crack the shits and kidnap a repair bot whilst heading back to the sword. Among other things.

Hmm, well before this argument continues and people choose sides, there is something we could do.

When I said I was down for it, I meant the possibility of it. You CAN build a giant robot. IF you do is the question. However, there's a possibility here I forgot. Remember that when Joker team was messing around, that they came across places with machines inside the command center. Well, the command building is basically screwed, so there might be machines to scavenge inside it. If you -and possibly friends- wanted to scavenge parts from inside there, it might work. I mean, you were never going to find joints on those ships anyways, but there are robotic limbs in the building.

So thats a thing. And it's not like that stuff could be used to repair the ships (at least not most of the damage) so you'd have claim to it.

Now, as per these ships. The ones that you can repair are the following.

1.The Tug

2-4: Couriers. Light, low armor, but very quick. They're not actually designed to leave the planet, just used to travel around in the high atmosphere to get to different points on the surface quickly.

5-6:Interplanetary haulers. Your standard spaceship; designed to travel around within solar systems, moving from planet to planet. They have big conventional fuel engines to get them out of gravity wells and nuclear engines to push them long in open space. They're fairly tough and reliable but not very fast or armored.

7: What looks like a transport ship, though missing the long string of metal cargo containers it would normally be carrying. It's got docking points for an absurd number of disposable solid fuel rockets; in case it needs to get off a planet's surface. But the main thrust comes from 4 very large engines set around the edge of a dome or inflated saucer like body.

8:Hard to tell. Looks like a standard ship but streamlined. Might have been modified for interstellar travel, though it has no stasis pods so that can't be right.

9: This looks like...what is this...A habitation pod? Like from one of those old pre-jump  colony ships? Jesus. The hell do they have this for?

10. An interstellar dragster. Like the blackship; massively fast, designed to get from one star system to another using jumps as quickly as possible.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: January 15, 2014, 04:58:04 pm »

TO THE COMMAND CENTER! SCAVENGE ALL THE THINGS!
Attempt to scavenge enough parts from broken machinery to repair one of tge fabricators with my repair bots.

If successful: have repair bots cut blocks out of the pooled metal from the nuke and carry it in to be converted into robot parts.

If unsuccessful: scavenge all tge parts and begin constructing the robot, will post details later.

((I vote ships 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10.))
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:25:07 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: January 15, 2014, 06:13:41 pm »

((I want number 9. And I don't know why.))

follow Auron.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:16:27 pm by Tavik Toth »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: January 15, 2014, 06:14:18 pm »

((Hm...
The Tug sounds moderately useful.
One Courier would make logistics simpler, but we shouldn't need more than that. At least not before we can make more.
Interplanetary ships that can take a bunch of stuff are always useful, but we could probably take the interplanetary bits out of the wrecks and stick them into new ships when we need to. It certainly isn't an immediate concern.
#7 and #8 sound neat.
#9 sounds basically useless. It belongs in a museum, or perhaps as a museum. I'm guessing this is more of an expository clue than a ship we are expected to repair.
#10 sounds useful, especially if we can give it some sort of system to make it not obvious to everyone in the system.
So...I vote 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: January 15, 2014, 06:42:23 pm »

((Why not all?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: January 15, 2014, 07:07:05 pm »

Simus steps outside the zone to transmit some messages.

Steve, I need a few things to see if this really is a proper place for a headquarters. If temporary, depends on if we find any long-term effects. Just some land-line cable, a camera, and a monitor I can use with it.

If she gets both, she hooks up the camera to the land line and places it on the ground inside, stands on the outside with the monitor end of the cable, and fires her laser at the aurora, aiming at the ground inside where the camera could see it. If the camera's video gets through and we don't see the laser:

All right, it's good, at least for now. No resistance to kinetics, of course, but we shouldn't have to worry too much about bombardment, and hopefully we can keep them out of this crater, at the least. And that's if they figure out it's where our headquarters is.

Anton, once you're done pulling ships up and repairing them, I want you to see if there's anything you can salvage out of the mostly ruined admin building. Don't bring the place down on yourself, but if you can poke through and find anything that's possibly useful intact or reparable, it would help accelerate our setting up operations. Leave the scrap, though, and anything that would require major repairs. We'll get all that when we bring the place down after we fight back the UWM.

((I vote 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10. Not sure what 8 is, but couriers should be able to be manufactured quickly, so we don't really need them. And why would we want a relic? It belongs in a museum!

((Why not all?))

Not enough salvage. We might be able to build replacement parts, but at that point, it's easier to recycle the ship (except the museum piece) and just make a new one that works right off the assembly line.

Also, Radio, while I wouldn't mind being part of the order of battle and all that (I believe I would certainly be useful if I were), I believe Simus' place will be in HQ, directing the manufactory. After all, who says we can't be producing while they're trying to take us? We need not halt production just because of a war!

So, put me down for HQ defense.))
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:15:37 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: January 15, 2014, 07:43:44 pm »

((We're stealing ships now?))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: January 15, 2014, 07:46:37 pm »

((Grand Theft Auto: Haphaestus))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: January 15, 2014, 08:27:18 pm »

More like we're the repo man.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: January 15, 2014, 08:31:46 pm »

And why would we want a relic? It belongs in a museum!
((At first glance I thought that was more IC chat.
And I still say we should turn it into a museum...))

((They came with the planet.))
Sig

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: January 15, 2014, 08:43:39 pm »

((Why not all?))

(( Because we're salvaging the other 4 to repair the 6. Or at least, that's what I would assume.

Definitely 1 and 10.  8 might be interesting, 7 also sounds good. After that, maybe a courier and a hauler? They're definitely the least interesting ones, but I don't think either is more useful than the other, unless we can use them deceptively, in which case the haulers would edge out the couriers.

And I agree with Tavik that I want to repair the lifeship just cause XD ))

So, 1, 2,5,7,8,10 for me

Help with repairs! Specifically, if approved for repair, get on board the modified ship (#8) and try and figure out how it's been changed and to what end.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: January 15, 2014, 08:44:57 pm »

(( Because we're salvaging the other 4 to repair the 6. Or at least, that's what I would assume.  ))
((...So if we don't fix the museum piece/potential museum, we'll be scrapping it?))
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 243