Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 436956 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team
« Reply #3360 on: January 21, 2014, 03:56:33 am »

((Simus is in charge of the entire planet, so technically everything on this planet is partly her responsibility. She is subordinate to Steve and equal to Miyamoto, Miyamoto being someone she has to work with since he's in charge of the military of this section of the galaxy.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: January 21, 2014, 05:13:21 am »

((Im sick of constantly arguing in thread, can we please take NAV's advice and pm this if you still have issues with me doing this.))
((Why do you think that we have issues with you doing this? This isn't about you. This is about Auron not doing as he's told to by his effective superiors.

And we (well, mostly Pyro) are warning you out-of-character so that we don't have to get Auron in trouble for insubordination. Because either Simus, as the planet's designated Overseer (or "Executive Overseer", heh), or Anton, as a current designated manager of salvage and repair efforts, have the authority to punish Auron if they consider his actions detrimentary to the ARM's current situation, on top of the ongoing ignoring of either orders or strong suggestions to start cooperating. Anton will be more inclined to issue monetary sanctions, as he is of the mindset that "you pay for your own prototypes", even if he would be willing to lend some support to actually building the thing. I.e., "Okay, I'll see about building a gantry here and assigning some workers to get it done, but this is your project and all of this comes out of your pocket.", unless you actually contact Steve in-character and secure the usual prototyping rights. Simus... well, it's up to Pyro, really. But as far as I can understand, she could probably order it dismantled if it doesn't seem sufficiently viable and/or useful.
That's all there is to it, really. We don't mind you doing anything you want, as long as you're willing to face the in-character consequences.))

((Disclaimer: Substitute "we" with either "I" or the royal "we" in the above text as necessary, as it is intended to represent my own thoughts on the matter, even though it concerns more than just "me".))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:21:54 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: January 21, 2014, 06:21:15 am »

-snip-

((I've taken it to PMs, though the support is appreciated. And yes, I could order it dismantled if I wanted to, but Simus won't. She'll dock him and leave it at that. Reason is, had he asked, he actually might have had her assent in his project. After all, my personal qualms about mechs (although this is turning out more of a spider tank, still shaky but about a quark closer to better) isn't why she'll be mad, it's that he's using things already earmarked for other use, in her mind.

Also, don't say I'm just warning him of in-character responses to his actions - that's using my character as a scapegoat, according to him.))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:25:35 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: January 21, 2014, 08:07:55 am »

The key word there is stabilize not salvage. our mission was to asses the damage and prevent further collapses, not to salvage and not to repair. therefore the mission was complete before Auron began salvaging and you had no authority over him.
[/1uote]
((You're still using ARM resources. ARM still has authority over you.
And since Steve hasn't broken up the teams, Anton is still your direct CO for salvage operations.))

Your chain of command is a fictional construct as there was no longer part a survey and stabilisation squad, you decided to salvage on your own flawed interpretation of steves orders and you have no real authority in that matter.
((Flawed interpretation? What part of the orders tells you to waste huge amounts of resources on an impractical war machine that has no place in the largely-space-based upcoming battle?))

A lack of denial may as well be an assent because until he puts a stop to it Auron has no reason to, Steve would be going to me, because as stated above you are not in charge. Also steve shuts shit down personally more often than not.
((Only when it is threatening himself, the ship, or something similar. If you were using the mech to attack the Sword, the story would be different.
But if you're so confident Steve wants you to be doing this, why don't you ask?))

((Because constantly saying "dont do that or simus will punish you" isnt threatening in the slightest.))
((It's not a threat, it's a warning.))

((Remember, Unholy, ARM is basically a military organization. How do you think the military would act in response to some soldier turning a couple broken tanks and assorted spare parts into a mech, and asking for more guns and stuff to put on it?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: January 21, 2014, 08:23:15 am »

((GWG i respect the fact that you have your opinion and ill willingly debate it with you but please restrict it to pms to me and pyro, i dont want the argument getting dragged back here.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: January 21, 2014, 09:16:16 am »

((In short...you're wasting ARM resources without asking, what the hell makes you think you're going to not only get away scot-free but also get a bunch of powerful weapons free?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: January 21, 2014, 09:33:59 am »

((To weigh in perhaps as an objective person, Auron's kludgebot could have a use in the upcoming battle, seeing as whether the fleet is in space or no, they will be attacking this base, first and foremost. A mobile artillery emplacement could be quite useful.

This does not change, of course, the fact that he did not ask for permission to build it. Sure, it seems like it's in character for Auron, but don't expect the bot to be left alone once Anton and Simus are done with their current assignments.

Also, the bot is currently only a project, just as ship rearmament. With perhaps a difference in that we're using state-of-the-art VR software for our designs, and Auron's spiderbot is mostly in his imagination. :P))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: January 21, 2014, 09:36:59 am »

((Which makes me think of something...
Why isn't Auron prototyping this in VR? A successful virtual prototype would go great with any attempts to prove it's not just a waste of resources.))
Sig

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: January 21, 2014, 09:56:40 am »

((Because he's a magpie who's got his hands on loot he can't carry off and won't allow himself to leave lying around, and lacks the foresight and self-organization to catalog the items he has in order to recreate them in VR?))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: January 21, 2014, 10:37:13 am »

((Oh yeah.))
Sig

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3370 on: January 21, 2014, 04:10:19 pm »

The gimbal stuff will be restricted to laser weapons, but beyond that, We're good.
((Probably for the best. Anything slower than lightspeed would be hard to aim in a space battle.))
Go with gimbaled laser cannons. Don't forget the cluster of PD turrets towards the back, missiles are better shot down than evaded.

Alright, laser turrets. As per explosives; well we can get some high density conventional explosives coated with something extremely dangerous.
((It really depends on what the use of those missiles will be. Cutting lasers will chew up infantry and armor with roughly equal ease. If the missiles are to take down especially hard targets advancing on the LZ, then direct-punch warheads like the kinamp sandwich would be preferable. If they are for quick clearing of the LZ of infantry and maybe providing cover... hmm.))
Check what the current tech for thermobaric weapons is. Initial explosion, cloud of explosive propellant, massive vacuum implosion after high-temperature burnout of propellant, cloud of smoke and dust fit to act as concealment. Check how effective that would actually be against typical UWM troops and Sods.

Well, the most potential damage would probably be from an energy weapon (Kinetic ones are only really practical when you get them a good solid mount and some auto manip help) with high energy, single use cells. We won't be able to slap a reactor or generator on there thats small but powerful enough to make it worth while, but we can get some extremely high energy density cells and use them to power either a laser cannon thats at or above the laser battery spec, or condensed plasma shell that should be able to eat it's way straight through a ship.
((On one hand, laser cannon is good and precise, a versatile weapon. On the other hand, a plasma cannon has a higher damage potential overall, and a "near miss" would result in more damage. Better against large targets, too, in case the UWM decides to use one of their frigates as close air support or something. But I still want that third option checked out.))
Tentatively go with the plasma cannon for now. Ask Steve if the R&D could try to make a version of the High Energy Projector, scaled up to similar power levels.

Contact Bishop.

"Hey, Bishop! Anton here. Are you in VR? Get into my session if you are. I'm brainstorming the weapons loadouts for our ships, and I'd appreciate your thoughts."

Make sure to keep a text file with the specifications of all these ships, otherwise I can pretty much tell you I will forget them.

Really, when it comes right down to it, Nuclear is what you want for anything except clearing infantry. And those lasers will deal with the infantry well enough.

Ooo A scaled up high energy projector? That could be fun, though it will take some resources and time to do. And those are limited.

As it is, these ships are taking up, oh, 150-200 of our 1000 generic resource units.

Equip all the things.

Back mounted heavy artillery: scaled up particle accumulator cannon preferably, probably a suitably sized railgun with incendiary/high explosive shells otherwise.
If i have to supply this weapon myself try to cobble a large gauss cannon together from salvaged parts.
Mouth: Undecided
Front and rear leg shinguards: Auto targetting pd lasers programmed to also target enemy infantry.
Little arms: graspers with flick out rotary saws powered by those electric motors i salvaged.
Armor: avatar inspired Gauss reflecting angular plating, laser absorbing crystal coating if theres any left over from doing the boarding shuttles.

((Anyone whos helping build this can weigh in here and give suggestions.))

((Also im not sure, but im considering swapping the PAC to be mouth mounted for faster firing, although i suppose that the scaling up could be focused more on accuracy, cooling and rate of fire with a less pronounced but still noticeably increase in power.))

May want to talk to the others before eating up a large chunk of resources with your project.

Just a heads up before simus and her tech death squad notice you.

Quote from: piecewise
>Well, anything from the armory really, though keep
in mind we do have a limit of supplies and time, so
covering these ships in fission instigators is a
possibility, but it's gonna leave you rather anemic
on other fronts. We can also manufacture things, if
you have ideas.

Im assuming they are supplied by steve like the ships weapons, so we can probably mount whatever we wish within reason.

((Yeah... Steve supplying a major project that he mandated with weapons means he's going to supply your personal project with weapons.

Something tells me no. And even if he did, something tells me you're not going to be getting a LESHO rifle (the only railgun you can get, and you can't use a particle beam as artillery - that's LOS only), a HEP (and PW has said before that those don't scale up), 6 PD lasers, monoatomic swords, and avatar plating, of all things.))

It's true they don't scale up.

But the research teams might be able to find a way to make one a ship weapon. Even if it does just involve duct taping 30 of them together and firing them all at once. Though, that shit is gonna be stupidly big and it and it's powercells are gonna take up the entire ship. Not exactly the most practical, but goddamn if it wouldn't be cool.

"Alright, give me a moment... And Steve says we can use basically anything in the armoury, but we should be prudent since supplies are somewhat limited right now."

Go ahead and hop in VR and give Anton's ships a good look over, looking for any weaknesses or faults in the design.
I can put you in the VR, but faults in design are up to you to decide with your non-dice driven brain.

Alright, lets get a few things straight, before we have an incharacter civil war between the conservationists and the Mechanoids

1.Basically everything for this defense is coming from a "resource budget" You've got 1000 generic resource points and doing pretty much anything EXCEPT the basics of rebuilding the control center takes points from it. Arming the ships, arming the robot, researching weapons and tech, etc etc. Nothing is costing people tokens (This time) but everything does have a price.

2. A lot of this stuff isn't gonna around for use in other missions; mainly because it wouldn't even be useful 95% of the time. Also because I don't want everyone being outfitted with fission instigators all the time.

3.Steve is neutral on the robot. He's letting you guys handle this shit. Which isn't to say he's not making preparations in the background, but this is your choice. To him, these ships are the same as that robot: A project which the makers are doing in order to better defend the planet when the fight comes. Thats all it comes down to. No favorites.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: January 21, 2014, 04:44:08 pm »

stick a single 25 RU or less ship weapon (Preferably a PAC but a laser is acceptable) on the robots back mount, finish construction.

((We have outfitted 6 ships at a cost of 25~33 RU's each with multiple weapons, i foresee this not being a problem.))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:57:30 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: January 21, 2014, 04:45:19 pm »

((If, hypothetically, one of us wanted to spend a hundred of the RU on a statue in the middle of nowhere, would Steve intervene?))
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: January 21, 2014, 04:48:24 pm »

((Are you trying to see if Steve's giant penis ban applies here?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: January 21, 2014, 04:52:03 pm »

((Depends how many guns it has.))

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 243