Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27

Author Topic: LCS 4.07.0 Download (Sneak Attacks, April 2013)  (Read 259825 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 4.07.0 Download (Sneak Attacks, April 2013)
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2013, 09:40:02 am »

Everyone was talking about how it was hard to find everything in the neighborhoods, since they aren't labelled. That gave me an idea for having zoning laws be a side effect of pollution laws, where at C+ there will be factories next to schools, nuclear plants next to apartments, etc. At L+, everything is neatly organized and labelled.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2013, 01:32:45 pm »

The ASCII videos won't work for me. Why?

I dunno. Do they work for anyone? They haven't worked when I'm debugging for ages, but I always just figured that was just specific to what I was doing in the debug environment, and it would clear up when doing releases. Maybe they're just broken?

Ran gdb:
Code: [Select]
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
Location::getname (this=0x411, shortname=shortname@entry=true, include_city=include_city@entry=false) at title/locations.cpp:104
104       if(this->front_business != -1)

If that's the line it's crashing on, then the "this" pointer isn't valid. Given the state of the shortname and include_city variables, and the state of the program's execution, it's likely that this is being called from line 117 of getname(), and the reason "this" isn't valid is because we're indexing into the location vector incorrectly. That means findlocation(city, city) isn't returning a valid location, and while it is allowed to do that, it should only be doing that if you're starting in a location that isn't in a city -- and there shouldn't be any such locations.

That's a matter of internal game logic, and should not vary between Windows and Linux. I've been working on installing Cygwin since yesterday in hopes that I might be able to emulate the issue, but it's a process that takes hours, and I've had to interrupt and restart it twice. In the mean time, does this happen every time you run the program? Have you tried recompiling? Do you have any ideas?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2013, 01:35:38 pm »

I dunno. Do they work for anyone? They haven't worked when I'm debugging for ages, but I always just figured that was just specific to what I was doing in the debug environment, and it would clear up when doing releases. Maybe they're just broken?
I wasn't aware that there was even supposed to be any ASCII videos. When are they meant to appear?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2013, 01:49:08 pm »

I wasn't aware that there was even supposed to be any ASCII videos. When are they meant to appear?

Mmm... special news stories, mainly. Police beatings, bright liberal guest on a conservative TV show, things like that.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2013, 02:01:55 pm »

Mmm... special news stories, mainly. Police beatings, bright liberal guest on a conservative TV show, things like that.
I get those form time to time, but they're more like a footnote to the game screen instead of a movie.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2013, 02:09:38 pm »

I get those form time to time, but they're more like a footnote to the game screen instead of a movie.

Sounds like movies are broken and have been for years.

Good news, everyone! The game is supposed to have movies!

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2013, 02:10:14 pm »

I get crashes on starting too. I haven't looked much at the new code but it looks to me like the member variable city for locations isn't being initialised. For the homeless shelter, city has the suspect value 1851850798. It gets that from its parent Industrial district and it gets it from its parent Seattle and it looks like Seattle would only have initialised the value if it was less than 0 (in the constructor for locations).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:13:26 pm by Carlos Gustavos »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2013, 02:28:57 pm »

I get crashes on starting too. I haven't looked much at the new code but it looks to me like the member variable city for locations isn't being initialised. For the homeless shelter, city has the suspect value 1851850798. It gets that from its parent Industrial district and it gets it from its parent Seattle and it looks like Seattle would only have initialised the value if it was less than 0 (in the constructor for locations).

Found, fixed, and committed. Thank you!

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2013, 03:09:11 pm »

Wait, the game had movies?  It seems there could be broken content that we just assume is non-existent in the game

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2013, 03:42:47 pm »

Wait, the game had movies?  It seems there could be broken content that we just assume is non-existent in the game

Yes and exactly. The .cmv files in the art directory are movie files. They've probably been not loading or playing for years now, and people just didn't notice their absence, because who expects movies in an ASCII game?

But it's a Bay12Games ASCII game. There are movies in Star Zoo and Dwarf Fortress. Should it be so surprising that there are supposed to be movies in LCS too?

Edit: By "movies" I mean "animated ASCII cutscenes".

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2013, 03:44:31 pm »

I seem to remember seeing the files in there. Could be wrong.

Well, that's interesting...
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Yannanth

« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2013, 05:06:50 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:40:26 pm by Yannanth »

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2013, 05:20:02 pm »

The search engine says .cmv is a CorelMove CorelDraw 4.0 file? Can this even be opened by any modern software? I very much doubt there's a library for it.

Gah, I can feel the digital dark age creeping in...

I believe that in this case the .cpc and .cmv files are in a format created by Tarn Adams, and the editor was never released.

On the plus side, the LCS source code includes the code needed to load, save, and render them, so they aren't black boxes, and it wouldn't be impossible to make an editor.

In related news, I got the movies playing on my machine.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2013, 05:35:53 pm »

Yes and exactly. The .cmv files in the art directory are movie files. They've probably been not loading or playing for years now, and people just didn't notice their absence, because who expects movies in an ASCII game?

But it's a Bay12Games ASCII game. There are movies in Star Zoo and Dwarf Fortress. Should it be so surprising that there are supposed to be movies in LCS too?

Edit: By "movies" I mean "animated ASCII cutscenes".
The search engine says .cmv is a CorelMove CorelDraw 4.0 file? Can this even be opened by any modern software? I very much doubt there's a library for it.

That's pretty outdated, man.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2013, 05:37:30 pm »

I believe that in this case the .cpc and .cmv files are in a format created by Tarn Adams, and the editor was never released.

On the plus side, the LCS source code includes the code needed to load, save, and render them, so they aren't black boxes, and it wouldn't be impossible to make an editor.

In related news, I got the movies playing on my machine.
I think a starting and ending movie/movies would be nice, if you know how to make them. Something like the starting for DF. You could have animations for C+ and L+ amendments, and the squad being wiped out.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 27