Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Dominions 3 Round 13 - The Unlucky One - NationGen Edition - Il Palazzo Wins!  (Read 21039 times)

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile

Second, I'm going to need a pause for the weekend for a camping trip. I'll be gone from early Saturday morning until late Monday night EDT (GMT-4). I'll be able to submit a turn tomorrow probably, but after that I'll be away for three days essentially. Sorry. :-\
I've just postponed the turn three days, though I guess if you do get one last turn in before your trip I'll postpone another three days.

Also - that was lucky of you to kill my Heliophagus in only a single Mind Hunt, Il Palazzo! Thankfully, blood slaves are a renewable resource.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Looking over NationGen, how would people rank positive nation attributes?

For example, here are some fun things I've found:
Priests can blood sacrificing ability
Priests can reanimate
Thug commanders/troops (found one with awe/ethereal/prot19/enc2/secondform/sacred, for example in seed 995001549)
High astral commanders
Large magic variety in mages
Cheap, sacred mages (aka "research assistants")
All commanders have magic paths
Flying troops

Assuming I can't find all these things in one nation, how would people rank these and other attributes, generally?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel

Don't forget things like temple cost. Being able to slap up temples when you have a good sacred can be quite good. I think though in the end you need to figure out what you want to do. My race did relatively well but I did not have an end game plan so failed quite hard once others reached there. You can find almost anything if you looked hard enough. I went through well over a million nations though mind you I wasn't looking at them all but rather using a program I made to sort out ones that where viable for what I wanted. So in the end there is no single ranking list but rather you need to know what you want to do then build from there.
   Oh and there is one type of mage you are forgetting to include. The only random magic mage. Though preferable that its sacred to make it cheaper a mage with only random picks can be recruited at any fortress you have which can be useful if you build a lot of forts.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Also - that was lucky of you to kill my Heliophagus in only a single Mind Hunt, Il Palazzo!
I know, right? We're even for that harverster of sorrow, as far as lucky mindhunts go, eh?

@Euchre:
As Akhier said, it's all very much depenent on what you want to do. E.g., Nefurt is so-so across the board, but they have very cheap, recruit-anywhere flying units with good punching power and great defence. Lets you dominate early game as you mop up indies and pd, but otherwise there's not much more to rely on. Boksi, on the other hand, had great mages, able to cast acid-based spells, with extremely tough sacreds to hold the line. If not for a couple unlucky battles early on, he'd mop up the floor with most of his early-to-mid adversaries.

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile

Assuming I can't find all these things in one nation, how would people rank these and other attributes, generally?
Continuing with what the others said, I wanted a late-game nation because I figured the others wouldn't be paying much mind to that. Ettles has easy access to both S4 and B4, and thanks to Nature and Blood summons every path in the game is available to me. Well-played, Ettles can roll over basically any opposition late in the game (I'll leave you to decide how well I've been playing). I went with an awake, pathless wyrm to stave off attacks before my nation could really get going - in NationGen, what nation you choose and what pretender you choose are basically aspects of the same decision. Flying ethereal poison sacreds also helped my choice to take this nation, admittedly.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Found a truly broken mage.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd feel bad playing against anyone with that guy.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

Found a truly broken mage.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd feel bad playing against anyone with that guy.

"No description" is the only possible description for that thing. I wonder just how fast can you win with that unit.
._.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, Il Palazzo just stole three of the globals. Fire, nature, and death gem gens (if my memory isn't failing me). This doesn't bode well.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to need another extension this weekend. Not as long as the last one, just until Sunday morning EDT (probably about noon GMT?). At this point I feel like we're just messing around trying things out while Il P snipes off big units with mind hunts, but maybe Darkwind has a plan I don't know about yet. :P
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going to need another extension this weekend. Not as long as the last one, just until Sunday morning EDT (probably about noon GMT?). At this point I feel like we're just messing around trying things out while Il P snipes off big units with mind hunts, but maybe Darkwind has a plan I don't know about yet. :P

Recruit more astral mages, maybe?  At 40% chance of detection for level one astral mages, even weak indy astral mages should help.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I've had a ridiculously hard time finding astral mages... I guess I might be able to scrape some together for my SC groups if it helps that much though.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Say, Darkwind, ready to throw in the towel?

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile

After that massacre at Burburg, sure. I don't think your win is inevitable, but I'd have to be a much better player to be able to do much about it (as that showed). In retrospect keeping you from getting every single one of the elemental royalty would have been useful, though I suppose I couldn't have done much about that, given I only really have access to the Water Queens (and no underwater provinces to summon them in).

Not losing every chalice I produced to mismanagement would also have helped, I think.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm in the same boat. I think if we were well coordinated and I actually knew how to play Dom3 at a respectable level we could pull this out, but that's a lot of what-ifs that aren't going to happen.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well then, I'll close the game in a few hours.

Thanks for playing, guys. I had a lot of fun with this one. The rampaging SCs were a royal pain in the neck.
I do apologise for the rather boring strategy I resorted to, with spamming forts and taking cheap potshots from behind the walls. I realise it's not very much fun to play against, but it was the reasonable approach to take. Luckily we had some grand battles, so hopefully it wasn't all that bad.

If only Darkwind attacked me right after the fall of Burburgian empire, I'd have folded like a toy house. I had little to defend myself at the time, and it took precious time to go through all that magic diversification and fortification.

The problem with late game, especially with Awesome mods, is that if you give players enough time, they'll all end up having the same capabilities, magic path-wise. Your national mages become almost insignificant. Then it's just a resource war, and the one with most of these is bound to win.

Oh and, have you noticed? By the victory conditions in the OP, the game ended with the fall of Udostria. :P
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13