Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 102716 times)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #675 on: August 13, 2013, 03:52:54 am »

EVOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Tool use-4+3=7, Blinding venom- 4+2=6, Domesticate sightmace- 4+2=6, Venomy pepper-spray- 1+1=2

The sophont nightmace has managed to reach full-on human-scale intelligence. It is a skillful toolcraft, using rocks, wood and other objects to create things such as fang sheaths, hammers, flutes and drawings. A smaller sightmace, the coyote sightmace, has become a domesticated species. Eagle-squids are their equivalents of angels. Their middle legs are dextrous and nimble, for creating these tools, and their venom tubes often hold the results. Another venom tube now creates a thick gloop, which permanently blinds the eyes of soft-eyed species (including sightmace).

The woodland is now fading away rapidly. Our species is making rapid technological advancements, like home-made webbing poles and nest-holes, and has learned that surrounding and capturing a herd of land animals gives a constant source of meat.

GENERATION 26:
Sophont nightmace
A mottled dark purple bird-like animal that hunts on the mountain meadows. They use their fanged tentacles to attack and kill their prey. They mostly fly. They grow up to 40 centimetres long, and their offspring are called tentaclets. They use two claws on their back to snatch prey from the ground or air.
SOCIAL: They live in groups of about 25, alongside one or two eagle-squid.
SENSES: It has a sense of touch that lets it figure out if it's touching food, and an extremely good sense of smell/taste. A keen electrical sense lets it find creatures that are close to it, and it can feel vibrations from moving creatures. Its hearing is extraordinary, and it can echolocate. However, this is still inferior to the eagle-eyed vision of other slicers, although the eagle-squid partially makes up for that.
REPRODUCTION: It 'kisses' a mate it approves of, passing male cells to it, and growths grow inside of the womb. Tentaclets follow their mother and are fed by them. They eat regurgitated food from the mother's guts, and when they are old enough, they leave.
MOVEMENT: They fly by using their front wings to glide and their back wings as engines. They have two legs on their underside, which can break through wood and dig through dirt. They can use their wings and legs to gallop across the ground.
EATING: It impales small animals and digests them by drawing them into the guts. They are able to prey on most animals smaller than them, and they  use venom. Most of their food is from grazing worms and the dense vegetation. Other prey include land-dwelling spearfaced worms (slitherers) and other flappers, as well as leggedgrinders. We can use a precise jet of neurotoxin, laced with silica shards (to pierce the skin), to kill prey. We can also blind soft-eyed animals with a thick gloopy venom. We scavenge from the kills of our host when we are not hunting.
PREDATION: We have few predators, now we are protected by our shells, our sightmace, our spears and our hosts.
SYMBIOSIS: The greater eagle-squid, a large predator with a 3-metre wingspan and powerful vision and claws.
COMPETITION: Our intelligence, domestication and symbiosis has managed to drive away most threats.
INTELLIGENCE: We have complex language, full sapiece, basic herding, domestication of sightmace, art and good manipulators.
ENVIRONMENT: A cold meadow with loose trees and quite a few balloons above it.

CURRENT ENVIRONMENT: Alpine meadows
NEARBY ENVIRONMENTS: Mammoth steppe, icy ocean, glaciers, icy mudflats
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:43:34 am by Eotyrannus »

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 13, 2013, 03:53:52 am »

With that update done, we've hit sapience. Do we want to start over, carry on with evolution, carry on with culture, or pick a new species in the same world?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 13, 2013, 03:54:23 am »

WHOO! KEEP GOING!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 13, 2013, 04:24:05 am »

Take new species, isn't it fun to struggle against your former creation?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 13, 2013, 04:26:42 am »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 13, 2013, 05:33:03 am »

A bit more evolution, and then it's culture time.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 13, 2013, 07:21:16 am »

Stronger
Faster
Better Dexterity

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 13, 2013, 08:07:24 am »

Stronger
Faster
Better Dexterity

+1

I also propose a full-scale-war on the Sophont Sightmace!
They are the only real threat left. If we are able to beat them, we will rule this world. Then we can either start anew, or whatever the most people want. Or Eotyrannus, for that matter. :P

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 13, 2013, 08:24:28 am »

Stronger
Faster
Better Dexterity

+1

They are the only real threat left. If we are able to beat them, we will rule this world. Then we can either start anew, or whatever the most people want. Or Eotyrannus, for that matter. :P
Whoops. Guess I only noticed the second time I made that typo.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 13, 2013, 11:38:49 am »

Stronger
Faster
Better Dexterity

+1

+1

WHOO! KEEP GOING!

More Intelligence! We want to be transcendental supergenius squids.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 13, 2013, 11:42:46 am »

Just so ya know, guys, we're basically at the point where (unless you manage to find a specific way to do it) improving speed is counter to improving strength. We haven't really had any problems like these before, since we've always been at a point where the votes are something we can improve.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 13, 2013, 11:43:56 am »

How about someone (preferably someone with better writing skills and more passion than me) hosting a suggestion game akin to this one, but focused on cultural/technological evolution of this species? Where we control one nation/tribe/whatever and the point is to eventually reach space and...
You get the point, do you?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:45:32 am by DarkDXZ »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 13, 2013, 11:44:55 am »

Just so ya know, guys, we're basically at the point where (unless you manage to find a specific way to do it) improving speed is counter to improving strength. We haven't really had any problems like these before, since we've always been at a point where the votes are something we can improve.
So if the vote passes we will be stronger or faster, but not both?

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 13, 2013, 11:46:41 am »

Probably a good idea. Since this is an evolution game, I'm keeping crops (and therefore proper civilisation) away, so we don't get massively sidetracked by an industrial evolution or something. It gets hard to do evolution when most selective pressures are gone.

@Remuthra: Depends on the rolls, but yeah.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 13, 2013, 11:51:16 am »

I think that would be interesting. I would probably host that game.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 62