Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 102436 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #690 on: August 13, 2013, 11:51:58 am »

We could go full moties and adapt to civilization. Even sence the invention of agraculture humans have been adapting to better suit the enviroment, just that now its an enviroment we have made.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 13, 2013, 11:53:57 am »

I think that would be interesting. I would probably host that game.

Do it!
If we're playing Spore, we're playing it all the way to the end!

We can't just stop at the end of the creature stage like that.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 13, 2013, 11:55:02 am »

I think that would be interesting. I would probably host that game.

Do it!
If we're playing Spore, we're playing it all the way to the end!

We can't just stop at the end of the creature stage like that.
Well, I figure I'll hold off until we all agree to stop evolving.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 13, 2013, 11:57:13 am »

Well, but what else can we do now?
Humans didn't change that much since the dawn of civilization, to the best of my knowledge.

There are essentially no threats to us, at least none that we couldn't handle. We could push ourselves further, yeah, but beyond numbers there's not much else to adapt to.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 13, 2013, 11:59:01 am »

Alright, then. Might I perform a timeskip to spread us a bit more throughout the surrounding lands, so that we can have a distinct culture?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 13, 2013, 12:01:16 pm »

Alright, then. Might I perform a timeskip to spread us a bit more throughout the surrounding lands, so that we can have a distinct culture?

That would be ideal, me thinks.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 13, 2013, 12:13:48 pm »

Humans didn't change that much since the dawn of civilization, to the best of my knowledge.
We hve a little bit. Our teath are smaller, our brains more compact (I think more tightly folded, not less mass) and we have evolved lactose tolorence.

That said, I vote we stop evolving. We can have a spin off thread were we do cultures and maybe reboot this thread?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 13, 2013, 12:16:59 pm »

That'd be the best option.
Continue this game in another thread from a civilization POV and make Competition 2.

Either that or suddenly we all go play Adaptation and (extinct) Extinction. Works as well.

-1 to further evolution

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 13, 2013, 12:19:30 pm »

Claim your destiny, ye watchers of the nightmace of old.

That said, I think it might be quite interesting if we intertwined the threads a bit, the idea being that each of the games in the multithread conglomerate takes place in the same continuity. For example, as the nightmace becomes more developed, the new creatures which emerge in this thread also emerge on the planet, or, if you prefer, on a different planet. As the race develops, we might create another thread following the adventures of a specific nightmace, or a small group of them, and their actions would affect the state of things in the other threads, and vice versa.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:26:10 pm by Remuthra »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 13, 2013, 12:30:13 pm »

So what, we're creating some sort of a game universe?
I tried doing that with YAaSD, but so far only the first game had any sort of success. (the second one was a waste of potential on my part and nobody seems to bother playing the 3rd one :( )

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 13, 2013, 01:06:28 pm »

Oooh, I likey. This one's continued evolution might not be included in Cultural Evolution due to the timescales involved, but yeah, a game universe thing sounds great! Ask if you need the world fleshing out, so I can create a bunch of fauna for it. Flora is mostly just purple ground plants and green sky balloons, with algae and pond plants of either colour (plus red and brown).

Since we're letting that lot do more stuff with the nightmace, anyone got an opinion on what us lot should do? My thoughts are:

-New planet. Not very connected to this one, but they could potentially meet up in the far future with us.
-A little generalistic species on this planet. We'll know what's around, but it would involve 'locking' the future of theirs into our evolution, which would either result in their destruction being assured or technological singularity being assured.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 13, 2013, 01:13:36 pm »

Oooh, I likey. This one's continued evolution might not be included in Cultural Evolution due to the timescales involved, but yeah, a game universe thing sounds great! Ask if you need the world fleshing out, so I can create a bunch of fauna for it. Flora is mostly just purple ground plants and green sky balloons, with algae and pond plants of either colour (plus red and brown).

Since we're letting that lot do more stuff with the nightmace, anyone got an opinion on what us lot should do? My thoughts are:

-New planet. Not very connected to this one, but they could potentially meet up in the far future with us.
-A little generalistic species on this planet. We'll know what's around, but it would involve 'locking' the future of theirs into our evolution, which would either result in their destruction being assured or technological singularity being assured.
This sounds prettty good. I can come up with any flora and fauna needed, but it would be helpful if you listed anything that needs to be around, so I don't mess up the continuity.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 13, 2013, 01:27:08 pm »

We still have some physical evolving to do.  Our primary assets are our intelligence, our extruded substances, and our ability to exploit (whether symbiotically or parasitically) other species and other members of our own.  I say we improve on their potential, before we shift our evolution to mainly social, cultural, and technological modes.

Extend maximum lifespan.  We no longer benefit from short generations if we don't mutate much.  Longer individual lives may allow for living archives of memory, and produce experts in given tasks due to long periods of focus, helping with specialization and training through apprenticeships.
Introduce (mild) tendency toward insanity.  We mustn't become stagnant. A few individuals each generation that ignore the rules and do things their own way can be sources of surprise innovation.  We need our Nikola Teslas and other mad geniuses.  Essentially I'm suggesting we build in a way for the GM to give us boosts and new stuff via random chance, not simply near-extinction events.
Improve memory.  All our advances and experiences mean nothing if we can't keep track and have to keep re-discovering them.
Improve electrosense range, precision and emission.  We don't have magic, but we can have radio-telepathy, albeit maybe not in that particular section of the electromagnetic spectrum.  This can also be useful to control newly developed/encountered creatures via implants, when we get that far with our technology.
Gain ability to refine and incorporate non-food ingested materials into our webbing and venom.  We're almost certainly going to have medicine and materials science.  Being able to use our own bodies to produce some of it will give us an edge.
Gain ability to incorporate viral DNA into our own genetic structure.  Continuing our fine heritage of using or absorbing every useful non-us thing that comes along.  No, I'm not talking Resident Evil, though that'll be amusing when it inevitably happens.  I mean more along these lines.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 13, 2013, 01:30:32 pm »

Should we continue evolving a bit, I will hold Ascendancy until we finish and incorporate the new mutations into the timeskip.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 13, 2013, 02:28:44 pm »

Weenog's Ideas are certainly great... but would they not make us somewhat overpowered?

I say, we are quite fine the way we are, as we still have some hurdles that need to be overcome by intellect. So..

- New Planet +1
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 62