Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4128819 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_10 Starter Pack r1
« Reply #1005 on: August 27, 2014, 10:46:04 pm »

I like to have 3 minders to start with. They of course have another skill which I have just recently decided to put as Mason, Mechanic, and Carpenter. My woodcutter is also my planter as after I chop a few trees there is wood for a while and I probably have a place to set the farms up in. I have someone with a point in each doctoring skill and then the broker stuff, he generally ends up with most positions and is the guy generally having to haul stuff early on. Next is a guy with butcher, tanner, and another bout of farming because as someone previously mentioned it is somewhat hard to skill up. Finally the seventh dwarf is left open for whatever I might want to focus on this time round. If I plan to get a cloth industry up with pigtails for instance I need weaving, clothmaking, and plant processing. I actually have gone with that in my recent fort as I wanted to get my dwarves pumping out bags to process rock nuts into.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: August 27, 2014, 11:05:06 pm »

...embark profile...
I think the game is just more (maybe less) realistic now, about giving worldgen dwarves some skills they've learned during their past life. A point in swimming apparently, I think climbing and/or jumping (is it a skill?) were mentioned in the dev posts. And I have no idea what discipline does. I assume it's discipline, not discipling, which would be the skill of being a disciple or something. You have a good point/idea on combining carpentry/masonry with trader/doctor though. And nice to see you use geese, IMO they're the best for meat, growing the fastest during their first year, due to being 3rd-largest at full size but reaching that full size in only the 1 year.

...embark profile...

I'd swap mechanics to be the primary skill of that dwarf, it's much harder to skill up than mining or masonry. In fact, if you want a chance to mood it, that dwarf will almost certainly have it's mechanics skill outpaced by the others, so you might as well not give it to him/her if that's what you're hoping for.

In general advice, sheep/llamas should be much better now that spinning wool doesn't use the whole stack to make thread any more (at least it shouldn't, I think). Grazers, of course, but that's the price of wool (not a price of milk due to pigs!).

And getting back to the topic, thanks to PeridaxisErrant for the quick assembly of the pack!

Yeah, that was a typo it's discipline lol. No, it isn't being a disciple, it's military discipline. It keeps them from panicing (although depending on personality even some with high levels will still panic, even at the sight of a gobbo corpse). It also raises very quickly and easily on military but civilians don't seem to raise it unless they have a point in it (at which point they will raise it when they make a check against it; like walking by that corpse pile).

I started out doing the high mechanics, but I've not found it to be very worthwhile (although high-level mechanics migrants seem admitedly rare). I'm not hugely into traps and the mechanism quality doesn't make enough difference otherwise (if at all). You do have a good point about skilling it up, it is slower than many, which is why I noted it as an alternate. Mason levels up quick and easy, but there's generally a lot of need for masonry from the get go so starting with a few levels helps. Mechanic on the other hand, some mechanisms for levers and linking bridges and floodgates and I'm generally done for year 1. Mechanic spends a lot of time slacking unless you are big into traps, so I find it best combined with other roles.

I don't care for shearing, I never know when is a good time or how many times per year, it seems to cause many cancelations in the workshop (same for milking, granted I put in more farmers shops this time), it's a pain keeping a pasture (although current game I flooded out a few huge rooms, will go breach caverns for fungal bloom and then pasture that sheep I have inside, pig tails are unavailable at start on the map I'm playing and silk is slow without a pet giant spider). I try to get off the surface completely, otherwise a walled pasture and surface farms are ok if that's your thing.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:07:57 pm by ldog »
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

mete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 28, 2014, 10:36:59 am »

Peridexis, I would like to suggest Duerer Tileset http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142083.0 as a addition to your start pack, this tileset is pretty nice. :D

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 28, 2014, 11:05:50 am »

Hey peridexis, do you know what could be causing this error? 'Unsupported CE add tag: NOBRE!' I got it in relation to this bug http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=277 but no idea if it's related or something completely separate.

Edit: Made a new world and a new adventurer and don't see the error, so......
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:11:46 am by smjjames »

Arshness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 28, 2014, 05:20:45 pm »

Hello all. I'm new to the forum, so please be gentle with me. I have played DF before (about 2 years ago on 34.r11) but came back and downloaded the starter pack for 40r10 the other day...

And I have a few issues.

1. Announcement Filter doesn't really do anything. It just kinda opens a rar when the starter pack launches the utility and does nothing. I'm not sure what to do with it. I don't think this is the desired behavior?
2. A window opens that I think is relative to DFhack because it says "\ss_fix.log not found. That is okay if you are not using dfhack plugin.
Well I thought I was. This explains why shift+p does nothing and I can't get stonesense oppperating, eh?

Any idea how to fixy?

Ty much.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 28, 2014, 05:59:41 pm »

Df hack isn't in 40_10 at the moment. Try opening the announcement filter after you loaded a save maybe? I'm pretty sure stonesense needs dfhack so maybe that's where you got that error.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 06:19:45 pm by LeoCean »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 28, 2014, 06:33:54 pm »

<embark profile discussions>
Hmm.  I should go back through these again soon, and probably move the craftlords set out of the default if it doesn't include a pick.  This thread isn't really the place for an exhaustive discussion of what you use though, unless it's being offered for inclusion in the pack. 

Peridexis, I would like to suggest Duerer Tileset http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142083.0 as a addition to your start pack, this tileset is pretty nice. :D
I'll keep an eye on it.  In the mean time, you can pretty easily add it yourself!

Hey peridexis, do you know what could be causing this error? 'Unsupported CE add tag: NOBRE!' I got it in relation to this bug http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=277 but no idea if it's related or something completely separate.

My guess would be save corruption, but I don't really know.  Make backups of any save you care about!

1. Announcement Filter doesn't really do anything. It just kinda opens a rar when the starter pack launches the utility and does nothing. I'm not sure what to do with it. I don't think this is the desired behavior?
2. A window opens that I think is relative to DFhack because it says "\ss_fix.log not found. That is okay if you are not using dfhack plugin.
Well I thought I was. This explains why shift+p does nothing and I can't get stonesense operating, eh?
Welcome!  As LeoClean notes, DFHack isn't currently available for 40_10, so any functions that depend on that will be missing.  If you can't wait, there are links at the top of this thread to packs 34.11 r67 and 40.08 r3, which both have dfhack and the former has working stonesense.  Otherwise, patience is the order of the day!

Announcement filter only does anything if you're currently playing, at which point it displays a filtered version of the announcements screen in a separate window.  Most useful on two-screen setups or similar. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1012 on: August 28, 2014, 06:39:16 pm »

My guess would be save corruption, but I don't really know.  Make backups of any save you care about!
Its not related to the bug you linked to. The errorlog would be helpful, it usually shows in which file this unsupported tag was found. It looks like a cut off NOBREATHE, and CE add tags are usually in interactions/syndromes. Easy way to find out is to open all raws in the data/save/region/raw/objects folder with notepad++ and search through all files for [NOBRE], including the []. Then you can post the specific entry here. For me it looks like a CRC error in the file archive. You probably downloaded it from DFFD, and the server was overburdened and your browser saved an inclomplete file.

Peridexis, do you maybe need a server for a mirror? I just noticed that its only on DFFD, which has downtimes now and then, and your start pack gets even more downloads than MDF, and I know that I had reports of people that couldnt download it because of DFFD problems.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 28, 2014, 07:26:24 pm »

Peridexis, do you maybe need a server for a mirror? I just noticed that its only on DFFD, which has downtimes now and then, and your start pack gets even more downloads than MDF, and I know that I had reports of people that couldnt download it because of DFFD problems.

I'm thinking about it.  My current thinking is that between that, mirroring everything on Dropbox, and the torrents that Salithus sets up it's completely free and reasonably resilient - and I don't want to make updates any more time-consuming than they have to be, since the whole 0.40 thing is happening at a time when I'm fairly busy with life generally.  If it becomes an issue though I'm open to changing that. 
 Donations here.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 28, 2014, 07:38:05 pm »

<embark profile discussions>
Hmm.  I should go back through these again soon, and probably move the craftlords set out of the default if it doesn't include a pick.  This thread isn't really the place for an exhaustive discussion of what you use though, unless it's being offered for inclusion in the pack. 

My fault. And yes, I was looking to make suggestions and possibly discussion for inclusion, but it quickly got off-topic.

Oh, forgot it doesn't have picks, I tweak my loadout anyway. It's the skill choices and the combos in particular - as a noob I used them and it didn't take me long to figure out they're not very good. Maybe holdouts from prior version?  I suspect a lot of embark profiles I've seen were influenced by the very excellent but very dated "The complete and utter newby tutorial" whereas a setup more suited to the Quickstart guide on the wiki might be more helpful.

Not a real bother to me since I'm well past the point where I need someone to setup an embark for me, but being a recently graduated noob that's my feedback.

That and I will say again a big thank you for continuing to maintain this excellent pack.  :D
PS thanks to Salithus for seeding the torrent since that is much quicker than DFFD on release night.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:39:46 pm by ldog »
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1015 on: August 28, 2014, 08:00:25 pm »

Oh, I did not see the torrent in the second post. In that case you are already covered. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: August 28, 2014, 10:01:11 pm »

The "Simple Start" embark profile has three picks, and the others come with the materials to make picks. When I made the ones with starting materials, I imagined them as 'intermediate' profiles. I'm in the middle of reworking mine after a thread on Reddit pointed some problems out recently (I don't think any of them are good for new players. The "simple Start," which comes with the equipment from the old profile with a similar name, doesn't have an anvil.) The real problem is that my profiles are the only ones in the pack at the moment. I continue to encourage and hope other folks to submit them for the pack, as I really enjoy trying others ideas.
Team Bug Fix!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: August 28, 2014, 10:44:40 pm »

Its not related to the bug you linked to. The errorlog would be helpful, it usually shows in which file this unsupported tag was found. It looks like a cut off NOBREATHE, and CE add tags are usually in interactions/syndromes. Easy way to find out is to open all raws in the data/save/region/raw/objects folder with notepad++ and search through all files for [NOBRE], including the []. Then you can post the specific entry here. For me it looks like a CRC error in the file archive. You probably downloaded it from DFFD, and the server was overburdened and your browser saved an inclomplete file.

That's the only save and game that I've encountered that error in, other gamesaves have been fine.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: August 28, 2014, 11:19:48 pm »

Hi all

After a number of inquiries and checking with Toady, I now have a donation link for people who want to say thanks (and won't listen when I tell them to donate to Toady first and just leave me a complimentary message).  To anyone who wanted to get me a beer/coffee/new laptop/ferrarri/etc - go for it, and thanks  ;D

To ease any concerns people might have - the pack is and always will remain completely free to anyone who wants it.  My work on it, the distribution, priority for features, etc are all completely unconnected to the money (if any) that comes in - and always will be.  I remain committed to Open Source everything.  Just send me a message or leave a post with suggestions or feedback or bug reports - they mean much more to me than a few dollars. 

Strike the earth!
 Donations here.

Arshness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: August 29, 2014, 12:29:50 am »

The "Simple Start" embark profile has three picks, and the others come with the materials to make picks. When I made the ones with starting materials, I imagined them as 'intermediate' profiles. I'm in the middle of reworking mine after a thread on Reddit pointed some problems out recently (I don't think any of them are good for new players. The "simple Start," which comes with the equipment from the old profile with a similar name, doesn't have an anvil.) The real problem is that my profiles are the only ones in the pack at the moment. I continue to encourage and hope other folks to submit them for the pack, as I really enjoy trying others ideas.

Oh hi you. That was totally my thread. >_<
I ended up doing the Simple start this time and I added an anvil to it (after I figured out how to remove enough stuff to get it to show up) and I felt it was a pretty good start. I had most things I needed. My civ lacked bitimous coal o_o of all things... so I had to get lignite?(sp?) but I still don't know how to work a smelter.

That said, I'd say it was good for a starting profile. I had to adjust skills a little with DT but it was partly because I wanted more people mining early on. Overall a good place to start tho. :)
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 385