Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4122678 times)

Taeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack, 0.42.03-r01
« Reply #3015 on: December 13, 2015, 09:53:28 pm »

...  Once DFHack catches up - and it's close - I'll be ready to promote this pack to stable.  Until then, Strike the Earth! ...

Awesome. The lack of digv, workflow, wheelbarrows and all the useful search functions are driving me mad

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: December 13, 2015, 10:37:52 pm »

...  Once DFHack catches up - and it's close - I'll be ready to promote this pack to stable.  Until then, Strike the Earth! ...

Awesome. The lack of digv, workflow, wheelbarrows and all the useful search functions are driving me mad
theres a built in automining function in df...

Reinhardt64

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack, 40.24-r20
« Reply #3017 on: December 13, 2015, 10:40:53 pm »

Thank you for your continued contribution to this community.

Taeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: December 13, 2015, 10:41:18 pm »

thats news to me, but thats probably the most minor thing I use dfhack for

Manzeenan

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOWLEARNER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: December 14, 2015, 12:09:50 am »

thats news to me, but thats probably the most minor thing I use dfhack for
The button is a by default, examine the sidebar more closely when designating, you can also designate only gems or ore or gems/ores

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: December 14, 2015, 04:51:06 am »

Now I'm excited, working dwarf therapist with the bug fixes of 42.03 makes me feel like the new version is truly playable.

Feckless

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Omnomnom kitty kitty :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: December 14, 2015, 05:50:43 am »

You are a god amongst mortals, PeridexisErrant. Thank you so much for all the work you folks do to provide the much needed support for people who cannot play this wonderful game without the accessibility additions this pack provides. <3
It remains needless to say....Sally, was not amused.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: December 14, 2015, 06:25:26 am »

Indeed. A great many Goblins shall be slain in your name.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: December 14, 2015, 02:25:56 pm »

3. [Optional]:  Upgrade from an earlier release by running the 'copy my data' script with both versions next to each other in a folder.
                DO NOT try to upgrade by extracting or copying over an earlier pack.

So im not really understanding this. Where or how do I find this script?
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: December 14, 2015, 02:35:16 pm »

3. [Optional]:  Upgrade from an earlier release by running the 'copy my data' script with both versions next to each other in a folder.

The batch file used to be called Copy data from an older Starter Pack.bat and was in the top level folder, the same folder as the PyLNP exe file Starter Pack Launcher (PyLNP).exe

However the new 42.x packs have changed the structure and it looks like the .bat file has gone, or been missed out.  I can't find it, or any other relevant .bat files in 42.03-r01.

It's probably just an oversight and something PE can fix for the next release.  You could download a 40.24 pack, eg -r20, and get the bat from there, but you'd need to edit it to update it for the new structure and I've not checked to what extent it would need to be changed. 

Edit: quite a bit, as the batch file assumes the LNP will be in a version numbered folder, eg Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r16.  This has gone in the new packs.  So it's probably not an oversight, but rather that the copy/upgrading feature is not yet updated for the new structure (or maybe has been dropped completely?)  Also gone is the User Generated Content folder that the pack used to recommend the user copied their own files in.

You can still use the old batch file as a reference as to what files it would have copied - eg game logs and saves - and use that to copy files manually.

As an aside, I miss the top level folder that used to be in the packs.  Now the contents of the ZIP is in the root of the ZIP, meaning I manually create a new folder each time I extract a new pack.  I would prefer if it went back to having its own top level folder so I could just extract it into my general Games/DF folder without having to make new folders each time.  That would also facilitate the re-instatement of the copy bat file.  That said, some ZIP extractors will by default extract the ZIP into a folder named for the ZIP itself, which is versioned and perhaps this is why PE has dispensed with it;  I don't know what % of users find it better this way than the old way, maybe having previously found that they extracted the zip using defaults and then had an unnecessary intermediate folder.  In my view explicit foldering in the zip is better rather than relying on behaviour of the unzipper, but it's not at all a big deal either way.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:53:13 pm by TheBloke »

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: December 14, 2015, 02:55:21 pm »

Goodbye thesis... Hello Df.
Thank you Peridexis you're a legend
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Evrett33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: December 14, 2015, 06:34:54 pm »

Is there someone I can go to explain the difference between graphic font and font settings, TBWT and Standard and 2D, truetype or no truetype? I seem to be forced to make a choice between newer graphics (tiny hard to see chairs, non-spiderweb gems and bookcases on all the workshop everywhere) or older graphics that look better (IMHO) but bug out/have pieces disappear and don't show gender or the apostrophe in a word like surrounding nicknames.

Its unclear what these settings do and randomly trying different settings isnt getting me the results I want. Older gfx with working letters (and no V or N on the world map)

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: December 14, 2015, 06:58:06 pm »

I'm sorry, did I miss an instruction? 40_24 is what's in my dl.
source: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

edit: oh, is it not stable yet?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3028 on: December 14, 2015, 07:13:33 pm »

I'm sorry, did I miss an instruction? 40_24 is what's in my dl.
source: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

edit: oh, is it not stable yet?

Per PeridexisErrant's last post, just one page ago (and the link to download the current unstable 0.42.03 Pack is there, too:)

Quote from: PeridexisErrant
With this update, we're getting very close to stability!  The new DF release has an impressive volume of bugfixes (for both old and new bugs), and I've fixed a few in the pack too.  Once DFHack catches up - and it's close - I'll be ready to promote this pack to stable.  Until then, Strike the Earth!
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: December 14, 2015, 07:58:34 pm »

The batch file used to be called Copy data from an older Starter Pack.bat and was in the top level folder, the same folder as the PyLNP exe file Starter Pack Launcher (PyLNP).exe

However the new 42.x packs have changed the structure and it looks like the .bat file has gone, or been missed out.  I can't find it, or any other relevant .bat files in 42.03-r01.

It's probably just an oversight and something PE can fix for the next release.  You could download a 40.24 pack, eg -r20, and get the bat from there, but you'd need to edit it to update it for the new structure and I've not checked to what extent it would need to be changed. 

Edit: quite a bit, as the batch file assumes the LNP will be in a version numbered folder, eg Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r16.  This has gone in the new packs.  So it's probably not an oversight, but rather that the copy/upgrading feature is not yet updated for the new structure (or maybe has been dropped completely?)  Also gone is the User Generated Content folder that the pack used to recommend the user copied their own files in.

You can still use the old batch file as a reference as to what files it would have copied - eg game logs and saves - and use that to copy files manually.

As an aside, I miss the top level folder that used to be in the packs.  Now the contents of the ZIP is in the root of the ZIP, meaning I manually create a new folder each time I extract a new pack.  I would prefer if it went back to having its own top level folder so I could just extract it into my general Games/DF folder without having to make new folders each time.  That would also facilitate the re-instatement of the copy bat file.  That said, some ZIP extractors will by default extract the ZIP into a folder named for the ZIP itself, which is versioned and perhaps this is why PE has dispensed with it;  I don't know what % of users find it better this way than the old way, maybe having previously found that they extracted the zip using defaults and then had an unnecessary intermediate folder.  In my view explicit foldering in the zip is better rather than relying on behaviour of the unzipper, but it's not at all a big deal either way.

The script is not available for the new setup, and it's likely to stay gone.  Basically, it was only ever meant to be a short-term patch and ended up too rigid to change and everything else had to accommodate it.  .bat is not a real programming language!

In the medium-term (Jan/Feb 2016), I plan to improve the updater in PyLNP and add an interactive content importer to grab your old saves etc.  This should be more flexible as well as more robust, and will also work for non-Windows users!

The changes to the zip folder structure is basically because I'm trying to do everything via this tool - and when I was trying to decide how to do the zip, it looked like intermediate folders would annoy some people for little benefit.  It's very easy to change back if I get more feedback though.

Same deal with the User Generated Content; I just haven't gotten around to implementing it's creation yet and without the import functions it's lower priority than ironing out other bugs in my new tools.  It'll probably be back later, depending on how the import feature ends up working.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 385