Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 497964 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #255 on: June 30, 2013, 10:49:58 am »

I don't know much about modding, but this is fascinating.  I'm definitely going to keep following the progress on this.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

sculleywr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 30, 2013, 12:21:56 pm »

If there is a play turn not taken, I'll take the next one. :) This week is my free week.
I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
I once  had a fort called paddledbottom in the plains of spanking founded by the painful punishment
And so, in a thread about cointainers with usele

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 30, 2013, 01:35:20 pm »

Ok so do I have the rest of today, or do I have to post it now?

Right this second the only fully finished things are the Elves and one new type of stone.
Not exactly the march of progress :P
Finally got all the bugs sorted out of the elves.....well ok all the ones that hampered functionality, there are a couple that are just aesthetic at this point (one works perfectly fine, but spams the errorlog, the other isn't seen unless you look REALLY hard at legends mode....I think....that's what play turns are for right? :P)

Have a lot of other ideas to implement if I still have time, like the Claymen, some other animals that should flesh things out, and even some more stone that should make people weep openly ;)
Anyway, waiting for confirmation.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 30, 2013, 03:05:11 pm »

If there is a play turn not taken, I'll take the next one. :) This week is my free week.

If I'm not mistaken, the next play turn should go to bsnott who asked for a turn on page 12. But after that or if he doesn't want it/is not ready, its yours. :)

How's it looking bsnott?

Ok so do I have the rest of today, or do I have to post it now?

Have a lot of other ideas to implement if I still have time, like the Claymen, some other animals that should flesh things out, and even some more stone that should make people weep openly ;)
Anyway, waiting for confirmation.

I don't see that you're in that much of a hurry that you have to post it right now. But just for it to be fair, you should post it today, your timezone, I suppose, so that Leibowitz can get to work on it. After all, how this works is that you're going to always have more stuff that you want to implement (like me, I could think of a million things I want to add), but we want it to be a collaborative effort...

If you can make claymen fast, why not. But more importantly, get ready to upload, and make sure it doesn't leave an errorlog, because that makes development so much harder for the next person. Hence the rule that it must not do so during play turn. Also what is added right now should work correctly and stuff that is not working right now should be commented out (just e.g. auto-replace [ with # and ] with !, makes it easy to turn it back on later), for the same reason and also to make playing it possible. Next, you should provide fixes and upgrades as needed as no matter how hard you tried, there's very likely going to be oversights to be discovered.

You can always make additional content later - make it and post it, address to whoever's in charge at that time as to whether they would add it in. AFAIC you're free to re-use stuff from this to make your own mod too if you want to keep working on stuff independently, it's not that serious.

Upload to DFFD and with a short description of what was added if you don't mind, I'll link to it in the first post when it's up!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 30, 2013, 03:49:28 pm »

Current errorlog:

*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_bfel.txt"
ELF BP Mod THICKNESS Was Not Used   <------still searching for this one, so I can delete it
*** Error(s) finalizing the creature ELF
ELF:TREELORDMALE:leaf, right branch, layer 1: Tissue LEAF was not found, using first tissue instead\
ELF:TREELORDMALE:leaf, right branch, layer 1: Tissue LEAF was not found, using first tissue instead|
ELF:TREELORDMALE:leaf, right branch, layer 1: Tissue LEAF was not found, using first tissue instead|
ELF:TREELORDMALE:leaf, left branch, layer 1: Tissue LEAF was not found, using first tissue instead  |
ELF:TREELORDMALE:leaf, left branch, layer 1: Tissue LEAF was not found, using first tissue instead  |
ELF:TREELORDMALE:right vine, layer 1: Tissue VINE was not found, using first tissue instead           |
ELF:TREELORDMALE:right vine, layer 1: Tissue VINE was not found, using first tissue instead           |
ELF:TREELORDMALE:left vine, layer 1: Tissue VINE was not found, using first tissue instead             |----The "Spam" I told you about, works fine, still trying to fix
ELF:TREELORDMALE:left vine, layer 1: Tissue VINE was not found, using first tissue instead             |
ELF:TREELORDFEMALE:leaf, right branch, layer 1: Tissue LEAF was not found, using first tissue inste|
ELF:TREELORDFEMALE:leaf, right branch, layer 1: Tissue LEAF was not found, using first tissue inste|
ELF:TREELORDFEMALE:leaf, left branch, layer 1: Tissue LEAF was not found, using first tissue instea|
ELF:TREELORDFEMALE:leaf, left branch, layer 1: Tissue LEAF was not found, using first tissue instea|
ELF:TREELORDFEMALE:right vine, layer 1: Tissue VINE was not found, using first tissue instead       |
ELF:TREELORDFEMALE:right vine, layer 1: Tissue VINE was not found, using first tissue instead       |
ELF:TREELORDFEMALE:left vine, layer 1: Tissue VINE was not found, using first tissue instead         |
ELF:TREELORDFEMALE:left vine, layer 1: Tissue VINE was not found, using first tissue instead         /
*** Error(s) finalizing the interaction CLAYMAN_ANIMATE_BFEL             \
Unrecognized corpse target affected creature token: CLAYMAN               |
*** Error(s) finalizing the interaction CLAYMAN_REGEN_BFEL                |-----------Haven't added Claymen, but made the interactions for em
Unrecognized corpse target affected creature token: CLAYMAN               |
Unrecognized Caste Token in Body Transformation Effect: CLAYMAN:ALL /
Cannot generate random creatures -- missing body gloss RCP_GLOSS_PAW <------what was that bout not leaving errors for next guy? :P just kidding, I get it XD

EDIT: *** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_bfel.txt"
ELF BP Mod THICKNESS Was Not Used <-------------HA! GOTCHA! IT WAS THE LIPS! STUPID ELVES AND THEIR BIG THICK LIPS!

Ok yeah the big spammy mass has me a bit stumped, I'll admit.
Anyone else wanna take a crack at figuring that part out? Halfling?
Also note that once this bug gets fixed I'm going to upload the save (after taking out the Clayman reactions naturally)
Getting kinda bored of this, its starting to feel less like a creative venture and more like a second job XD.
Maybe later I'll request a second modding turn to add in the rest of the stuff I wanted, its been pretty awesome as a learning experience (I did not even know errorlog existed until this)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:45:07 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 30, 2013, 06:51:02 pm »

>Maybe later I'll request a second modding turn to add in the rest of the stuff I wanted, its been pretty awesome as a learning experience

It is, isn't it? Once you can do this, you can do pretty much anything in DF.

...post your treelord body detail plans and tissues. It seems you don't have those leaf and vine tissues set up correctly. I'll not be around for long today though... if all else fails, copy however you set up bark and use that for leafs and vines, it's all just plant material anyway.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 30, 2013, 07:00:33 pm »

Ok since no one seems willing to help with that I guess I am uploading it as is, regardless of spam errors.

So yeah here ya go, fix it if you know how: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7796

if all else fails, copy however you set up bark and use that for leafs and vines, it's all just plant material anyway.

Tried that, error persists, although it really just turns them into bark anyway....like I said, its aesthetic, it puts some more crap in the errorlog, but other then that its harmless, files up anyway now, so if you want to look into that you can do so before the play turn starts, as for me, I am sleepy now.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:03:14 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 30, 2013, 07:22:18 pm »

Have a good rest  :)

I think I found the issue. Materials and tissues were not defined properly (you can't define a subtype of material like below).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Resolves errors and clears the errorlog, making it fit to build more on.

However, there was one more issue I was slightly unhappy about. Namely that the halfling raws bundled with this one were not the newer, bugfixed ones (should download any new bugfixes and add them before uploading). What this means is that if nobody had checked, all those fixes would have been lost and then at some point we might be wondering why stuff isn't working.

Anyway, I'll upload the fixed raws with that done momentarily.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 30, 2013, 07:37:46 pm »

Aaaand here we go.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7797

Fixed BFEL's raws' tissue definitions, updated minimal world raws to newest versions, and added that vampirism set I posted earlier while I was at it. Checked to provide no errorlog for now.

So that means...
- Thanks for your contribution BFEL! I'll change it to your description for it if you give me a good one.
- StLeibowitz, you're up to mod next!
- bsnott, you're up to play next! Show us how the new stuff works if you please!

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 30, 2013, 10:22:14 pm »

File downloaded, poking through the files now.

I have some stuff already done a little (mainly templates and tissues and such). Should I put those up for examination?

In general, my plans:

-giant insects with chitin that can be made into armor (esp. spiders, wasps, and a few custom chitiny beasties)
-an unholy crossbreed of halflings and giant spiders. With bows.
-Crystalline pseudolife varieties
-Glass Angels entity of hippy, tree-hugging, animal-loving goodness, with the added perks of disintegrating into coma-inflicting dust on death, and magical spells
-a vermin for evil biomes that makes colonists go mad and fall upon each other like rabid wild hounds

EDIT: Noticed there does not seem to be a [DEFAULT_RELSIZE] assigned to the Sea Angel tail. Would this cause issues?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:23:57 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 30, 2013, 10:33:01 pm »

Dammit, and possibly, just give it about half the relsize of its lower body, its designed to be a deformed manta ray.
(The idea was to have a flying carnivorous manta ray, and later have a whale-like ocean animal for it to prey on...with a insane beach frequency, because lol)

Also with the vermin idea, please note that we currently lack vermin hunters, I was going to make a bird that did that....and that shot its feathers machine-gun style....because I'm weird like that.

Sounds like the caverns are going to get more interesting during Leibowitz('s?) (OMG how do you make that possessive? NYAH) turn

Indeed, I do this.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 30, 2013, 10:34:24 pm »

-giant insects with chitin that can be made into armor (esp. spiders, wasps, and a few custom chitiny beasties)
-Glass Angels entity of hippy, tree-hugging, animal-loving goodness, with the added perks of disintegrating into coma-inflicting dust on death, and magical spells
-a vermin for evil biomes that makes colonists go mad and fall upon each other like rabid wild hounds

EDIT: Noticed there does not seem to be a [DEFAULT_RELSIZE] assigned to the Sea Angel tail. Would this cause issues?

Don't worry, it doesn't actually mean anything.  (confirmed via modder's resource - an offline wiki rip by HugotheDwarf that contains all of the tags necessary for modding (link posted earlier in the thread))

Your second one seems to remind me of driders.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:37:01 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #267 on: June 30, 2013, 11:03:30 pm »

Be sure not to use CE_ADD_TAG:CRAZED, because it causes loyality cascades. Try OPPOSED_TO_LIFE instead, or transform the creature into a new creature, then add crazed. If you add crazed to civ members, they are still civ members and telling your military to kill them is a bad idea.

Otherwise I find this project quite amusing to read. :) It's a really nice idea. One could make the "Learn Dwarf Fortress Edition" of the game, with different levels. Lvl 1, only 1 type of grass, rock, sand, tree, no invaders and such. Lvl 2, add ores and gems and more plant and tree types. Lvl 3, add wildlife and volcanoes and aquifers. Lvl 4, add kobolds thieves and alllies. Lvl 5, add invaders and ambushes. Lvl 6, add vampires, werebeasts, evil-biome rains and undeads. Lvl 7, vanilla DF. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 30, 2013, 11:11:56 pm »

Be sure not to use CE_ADD_TAG:CRAZED, because it causes loyality cascades. Try OPPOSED_TO_LIFE instead, or transform the creature into a new creature, then add crazed. If you add crazed to civ members, they are still civ members and telling your military to kill them is a bad idea.

Actually, OPPOSED_TO_LIFE had been my plan in the first place :) Would this also have the effect of the crazies attacking each other, or will they just ignore each other?

To anyone who knows: would adding NOSTUN and making a creature unconscious in the same syndrome cause eternal sleep? The wiki claims creatures with NOSTUN can't wake up from sleep, and as I can't make a creature "sleep" via syndrome I'd like to know if unconsciousness causes roughly the same effect.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 30, 2013, 11:26:21 pm »

I have some stuff already done a little (mainly templates and tissues and such). Should I put those up for examination?

That is freaking awesome. For me, being such a casual, the first thing that came to mind...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for letting us read your work, don't sweat it. Post as much or as little as you like - the results matter and we'll see your work as you upload anyway. But it's maybe fun and can be enlightening to share and discuss your designs as they come up, plus I can nag about the rules earlier... :P

Don't worry, it doesn't actually mean anything.  (confirmed via modder's resource - an offline wiki rip by HugotheDwarf that contains all of the tags necessary for modding (link posted earlier in the thread))

Wtf man? Wiki says doesn't have absolute meaning, but I can't imagine that meaning that it has no meaning. Some body parts are obviously larger than others, like compare teeth to lower bodies. If not from RELSIZE, how is the game supposed to tell? There's no other reference to body part sizes in the game AFAIK. Can you post the exact quote?

In fact it's pretty easy to confirm it affects things. Just set a creature's head to radically different sizes and try lopping it off and examine the results - different sized heads (e.g. 6 urists vs 2 urists in my testing). Now, in the vanilla raws it doesn't affect anything all the time, because it's (often? sometimes?) specified twice, redundantly, e.g. in
[BODY:HUMANOID and then later [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HUMANOID_RELSIZES]
so if you tweak the former, it won't matter because the latter overrides it. But my halflings for example don't have that redundancy so body part size should be important.

> If you add crazed to civ members, they are still civ members and telling your military to kill them is a bad idea.

I'm going to test this one next. I still don't understand why it would be not okay to add the CRAZED tag to someone and then kill him before it wears off but it would be okay with the OPPOSED_TO_LIFE tag. It's the same exact thing, dwarf gains a tag and becomes hostile. It's not like he dies from the opposed to life part as with undead animation.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 261