Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500455 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #645 on: July 13, 2013, 10:00:44 am »

These elves could probably use some tweaking (unless the tame part and this state of affairs is intended) and an additional content pack (items, gear?), tbh.

Eh, its kinda hit or miss with what is "intended" as there are really two main "intended" facets of these elves, one where they trade with you and such, stealthily sabotaging you with tainted wood, and one where they openly war on you-which is intended to be after the dwarves figure out "oh they are actually total pricks and slaves to a buncha trees" :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 13, 2013, 11:10:56 am »

I started up a world and sent out the brave little halflings.  However, during the first couple months they kept getting nauseous and puking everywhere.  I can't find any vermin on the map, and the river appears to be clean.  The halflings also complain about dirty water and drinking puke so I am not sure what the exact cause is.

Probably alcohol hangovers if you took a lot of booze at embark.

snip

STL is away so I'm just going to say thanks so much on his behalf. This'll make his life easier. Also for explaining the language issue. :) In what was supposed to be the new language I made the default translated form plural and it seemed better TBH, but speaking of...

I get that too. Its like there is no "language" for the halflings at all.

DF languages consists of words that are objects that have grammar and their translations, which don't. Halfling language is specifically a translation to what the "word objects" (like DAGGER, "urist" in dwarven) would be in English with a few tweaks, but as Otu said, the translation section does not allow for grammar so this is as close as you're going to get, unfortunately. You don't notice it with non-English languages but it's there, the "plural" of urist is urist.

@halfling: How is the language update coming along?  :)

Issues. I lost my scripts and latest versions in a crash. Will have to rebuild. Also, such a large vocab slows down the game and I dislike it - I should probably make a new one from smaller scrabble dictionaries. Hm.

A version of the words and translations without symbols is here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.msg4391294#msg4391294 . But that's not very good without the symbols and I'm not sure if it's the one where I had fixed all the duplicates, it's more of a sample. Having said that, I guess if you just fuse it with the vanilla language using vanilla symbols you will get a ton more words for vanilla to use with random names, while still having working symbols. Making symbols too is the intention though.

Did I send you my scripts earlier by PM? If I did, it would actually be really great if you could send them back. :P Especially the symbol script, I think it was makesymbols.sh

Eh, its kinda hit or miss with what is "intended" as there are really two main "intended" facets of these elves, one where they trade with you and such, stealthily sabotaging you with tainted wood, and one where they openly war on you-which is intended to be after the dwarves figure out "oh they are actually total pricks and slaves to a buncha trees" :P

Would you be okay with someone who wants to improve the elves adding more stuff to them later?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 13, 2013, 02:41:59 pm »

Would you be okay with someone who wants to improve the elves adding more stuff to them later?

Yeah, so long as it stays in line with the "lore" of them, then sure, edit them to oblivion and back :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 13, 2013, 05:27:29 pm »

It's annoying how atm they're always saying the same crap as vanilla elves
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

emeralis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 13, 2013, 06:28:23 pm »

Nope. I brought zero booze.  Though I did find a single tile of dirty water that I had missed, so mystery solved.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 13, 2013, 11:23:03 pm »

Nope. I brought zero booze.  Though I did find a single tile of dirty water that I had missed, so mystery solved.
Did you happen to accidentally let them brew a tarnish stalk? then if someone vomits in the water supply, everybody has to drink that.
Scratch that, checked the raws I wrote up for them, you don't have to drink it, just eating them raw will do the trick.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 14, 2013, 08:11:01 am »

I RETURN.

Many thanks to Knight Otu; those bugs have been fixed now. Will update my raws soon.

As for the wing scales:

Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:LEPIDOPTERID_STL]
[BP_LAYERS_OVER:BY_CATEGORY:WINGS:WING_SCALES:5]
[ADD_TISSUE:WING_SCALES:WING_SCALES_TISSUE_TEMPLATE]
[ADD_MATERIAL:WING_SCALES:LIGHT_CHITIN_TEMPLATE_STL]
[BP_RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:WINGS:500]

That's the body detail plan I use for the bandit moth to give scales to their wings like proper lepidoptera. I'm fairly certain I defined a material for the scales, making them out of light chitin, but body detail plans are still a bit alien to me.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 14, 2013, 08:32:12 am »

You should probably define the tissue and its material before adding the tissue.

It's annoying how atm they're always saying the same crap as vanilla elves

This is hardcoded into DF and can't be modded easily via raws. It's just like halfling liaisons announcing they are from the mountainhomes. You can edit the strings in the binary to change it though. For windows users there's a Russian app called df-i18n to do it, linux users can use sed as below:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If someone wants to make a modified executable to go with this mod later, why not.

laula - how's your turn looking?

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 14, 2013, 08:50:29 am »

I want a modding turn! :)

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 14, 2013, 11:09:04 am »

I want a modding turn! :)

You're after Putnam :)
Hehe I hope who ever plays my mod is a masochist for their own sake..

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 14, 2013, 03:08:02 pm »

Finally fixed the CE_BLEEDING problem... I'm still annoyed that I can't seem to get critters to reliably spawn in the frozen hell, but I've got another test case in process. I suppose I should craft up a bunch of inorganics in between now and when I get back to working on that, just in case I don't get around to it. Putting something in the frozen hell would be nice, but inorganics are more important.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 14, 2013, 05:57:22 pm »

Putting something in the frozen hell would be nice, but inorganics are more important.
Yes, we need more inorganics.
The Derail Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 14, 2013, 07:03:22 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but I've decided that I've done enough on the new race/attempt at wizards to offer them up to be included at whoever's leisure.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7831

They have been kinda playtested, so if there are any problems that arise from them, let me know and I'll fix it if I can.
The Derail Thread

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 14, 2013, 09:09:08 pm »

Revision 5 of my turn's raws has been posted, may it be the last.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 261