Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500653 times)

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #915 on: July 23, 2013, 03:52:16 pm »

It's a sort of old, washed-out brown, and kind of looks a bit more like brown-tinted grey than actual brown. Perhaps try something with less blue, darker, like chocolate brown (R-123, G-63, B-0) or something.

Also, can anyone explain why this:
Code: [Select]
[INTERACTION:REGEN_STL]
[I_SOURCE:CREATURE_ACTION]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_CANNOT_TARGET_IF_ALREADY_AFFECTED]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_CLASS:REGEN]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0:END:100]
[CE:CREATURE:HYDRA_HEALING_STL:HYDRA]
[I_EFFECT:CLEAN]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_GRIME_LEVEL:2]

Turns the creature into an Oculentibus instead of a hydra healing cocoon? I can't for the life of me figure out why, though I guess this form of the Hyrda healing interaction works too - I'd prefer one that doesn't give the creature a brief opportunity to petrify a target.

EDIT: FUCK YES! It actually DOES work, perfectly, except for the odd transform. HAHAHAHA.

I set the usage hint to clean_self, so if the halfling gets blood on him - like, say, if he got cut in battle - he'll use the transform and become a cocoon (or an Oc), and clean himself in the process, thus healing him and ensuring he won't trigger it again instantly. Could have some odd behavior with other contaminants, but really - how does a creature get something on him that needs cleaning in a way that DOESN'T cause injury? There's cave-ins, which can hurt; monster dust, which causes harmful syndromes; and maybe water, but cocoons don't need to breathe so Hydra could buy a few seconds of life when drowning.

I am pleased :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:59:25 pm by StLeibowitz »
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: July 23, 2013, 04:18:36 pm »

It seems like you really like to make people suffer for their pleasures. At least they don't smoke automatically yet as they do with drinking that vodka. :D
Oh yes, I do, the only reason it's not automatic is for testing purposes.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 23, 2013, 04:49:33 pm »

EDIT: FUCK YES! It actually DOES work, perfectly, except for the odd transform. HAHAHAHA.

I set the usage hint to clean_self, so if the halfling gets blood on him - like, say, if he got cut in battle - he'll use the transform and become a cocoon (or an Oc), and clean himself in the process, thus healing him and ensuring he won't trigger it again instantly. Could have some odd behavior with other contaminants, but really - how does a creature get something on him that needs cleaning in a way that DOESN'T cause injury? There's cave-ins, which can hurt; monster dust, which causes harmful syndromes; and maybe water, but cocoons don't need to breathe so Hydra could buy a few seconds of life when drowning.

I am pleased :)

Congrats! I wonder if it makes a creature actually survive in water, if drowning is interrupted by the transformation?

There's also syndromes and walking on a contaminant, by the way.

It seems like you really like to make people suffer for their pleasures. At least they don't smoke automatically yet as they do with drinking that vodka. :D

If it's automatic it definitely must have its own building so that you can get actual work done despite people barging in to smoke.  :D

In that proposal I made the brown more faded to make it better suited to use in stone. Here's an alternative color set based on the same principle but not focused on stone, making the brown more brown, and otherwise not trying as much to restyle DF but rather more trying to give access to more useful colors by merging existing ones (one basic "blue" and one red).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm really not keen on the traditional light cyan when there's turquoise, most people seem to hate microcline and ice being cyan probably came from the limited color set rather than cyan being made for ice.  :P

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 23, 2013, 04:52:25 pm »

All the various vigors:

And their reactions to make them:

@Pretty Colors
I could live with that set. Brown actually looks brown now, and dark blue is there, and those were my main gripes that I was holding onto, so yay.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: July 23, 2013, 04:56:02 pm »

Also keep in mind light and dark blue are used for water, light and dark red are used for magma, and cyan is used for sky and ice, and that can't be changed.

Sky can be changed.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: July 23, 2013, 04:58:39 pm »

If it's automatic it definitely must have its own building so that you can get actual work done despite people barging in to smoke.  :D
That's part of the point! Not only does it harm the smoker, but it messes up work everywhere else! Just like real life!
I just need to remove the skill tag so that everyone does it.
The Derail Thread

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: July 23, 2013, 05:06:58 pm »

Also keep in mind light and dark blue are used for water, light and dark red are used for magma, and cyan is used for sky and ice, and that can't be changed.

Sky can be changed.

Then that frees up one more color nicely, the color of night doesn't matter so much so long as it's dark. Could honestly use the opinion of someone with some knowledge of visual art so as to which color is often interesting in this context and we don't have. Indigo?

That's part of the point! Not only does it harm the smoker, but it messes up work everywhere else! Just like real life!
I just need to remove the skill tag so that everyone does it.

It messes up work already when everyone will quit their job to to go to do their smoking "job" intermittently. Maybe if it messes up your order queues in an important building too it gets a little excessive. Although I guess you can just avoid having tobacco, which is what every sane person will do now anyway.

Maybe there should also be an incentive to use it sometimes? Like a chance of a creativity boost. Just an idea. Not that real tobacco (probably) has that, but then, hm.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 23, 2013, 05:31:12 pm »

Well, it is Tarnish Stalk tobacco. It can already be used to make casts, evidently. These are weird plants.
------------

The alchemy raws:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7854

Version 1. Any playtesting would be nice :)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 23, 2013, 06:10:04 pm »

These are weird plants.
Understatement of the day.
The Derail Thread

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: July 23, 2013, 08:39:20 pm »

I noticed that Tarnished Vodka doesn't have any syndrome of it's own. Just regular drunkenness and hangover. What's up with that? This is the most dangerous plant in the world! How is it safe (ish) to drink?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: July 23, 2013, 08:45:30 pm »

I noticed that Tarnished Vodka doesn't have any syndrome of it's own. Just regular drunkenness and hangover. What's up with that? This is the most dangerous plant in the world! How is it safe (ish) to drink?
It's not, the syndrome is attached to the plants material itself, which is applied to ALL forms of it, even the seeds would do it if you ate one.
The Derail Thread

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 23, 2013, 08:51:24 pm »

I'm just waiting for the damn things to get a contact syndrome.

Fortunately, I'm relatively sure that only contaminants transfer contact syndromes, and that, say, a solid plant wouldn't do it.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 23, 2013, 08:55:10 pm »

It's not, the syndrome is attached to the plants material itself, which is applied to ALL forms of it, even the seeds would do it if you ate one.
I knew there was a reason I was so scared of those things  :P

Edit: something is very wrong with your new stuff StLeibowitz.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:01:01 pm by kopout »
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #928 on: July 23, 2013, 09:00:20 pm »

About the self-healing: Add a syndrome to the creatures blood that works on contact, only on the creature itself, giving an interaction to heal/transform into the cocoon. This way it doesnt heal itself when it rains or it is covered in vomit or enemy blood, but only when its covered in its own blood.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 23, 2013, 09:04:36 pm »

I'm just waiting for the damn things to get a contact syndrome.

Fortunately, I'm relatively sure that only contaminants transfer contact syndromes, and that, say, a solid plant wouldn't do it.
That's actually what I'm working on now, but the blisters don't seem to be doing anything yet, so I need to amp them up a notch or twenty.
Dumping vodka and tobacco on people to watch them break out in hives never gets old.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 261