Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 497954 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2610 on: September 29, 2013, 06:56:31 pm »

Top right corner of the map of a world I just generated...that's all lizardfolk.

Edit: All in one civilization, "the Clever Vine".  And the northernmost tomb of that huge complex is a 10x10 on the embark screen.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:03:01 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: September 29, 2013, 07:13:48 pm »

Why bother fixing previous releases?
Somebody might want to try playing them, too.  Or I suppose somebody might want to fork them and try taking them in some different direction.  Or maybe not, but it could happen.

At least I'd say that's true for Halfling's original "version 0" minimal raws, which really do play quite differently to the later, more diverse versions, and which also make a nice potential starting point for other mods.  Certainly I think those at least should have any applicable bugfixes backported to them (and I think they actually pretty much do have that).  The other versions, I suppose, aren't that critical -- as Gnorm notes, the glitches might be considered a valid "historical" element.

If someone wants to make a new mod based on one of the previous versions, let them apply the bugfixes themselves.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: September 29, 2013, 07:41:48 pm »

Day 1 of Mining Outpost #0530 - Dragonshield
The grand chieftain has sent us out beyond the southern borders of the Shield.  Preliminary reports have determined from samples of the area that there is a supply of metallic ore near the surface of the area.  These findings rose the morale of the nation after reports of the prior minres beginning to run low, and the formics managing to garner some metals from their southern neighbors to resupply.  Once the sector is secured, we will begin output of metals and weaponry to assist in the primary assault upon the primary formic metal fields.  Stiff resistance is expected from the southern civilizations, whom the formics have managed to influence.  May Shaman Pathices, God of Freedom, and Hound, God of Valor watch over us all.

Holy s***, I just went through some of the gods people worship, and one of them worships a god of Death, named Death.  That one also worships a god of twilight and the dawn.  Another god is one of Law, Discipline, and Order; another is of minerals, metals, and fire; yet another is wisdom; another is day and duty; and a final is of chaos.  That is one realistic pantheon, there.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:49:38 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: September 29, 2013, 08:46:18 pm »

Somehow, through stripping out everything that is real from the game, we have managed to make a plausible religion. Most impressive.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: September 29, 2013, 09:50:02 pm »

If only we could have [SPHERE:POULTRY]

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: September 29, 2013, 10:22:27 pm »

Uh guys, did you notice that adherents have no progress triggers in Putnam raws? So unless that's fixed, no info will come of their behavior from this testing.

From what we discussed about the git, it seems like this would be a way that allows us to avoid exactly this type of issue. When a patch is applied, it stays in. Wasn't trivial to set up either. So let's try to pay attention to how it works. I put a link in the first post.

As it is you can also use it to browse all raws at all points now, which is pretty neat.

I've talked with Halfling, and he's basically said he'd be OK with using this repo as the official place for publishing our raws from now on, obviously assuming that it works and meets our needs.

So long as the results make it back to this thread too, mind :P

The minimal world was updated... well, bugfixed when bugs were discovered in later versions, exactly because someone may want to play or build on a minimal world. I myself really like to go there to make new things; you can be sure any bugs are with your new creatures if there are any. Some other modders (ie. everyone) have decided not to update their turn and it's probably not worth the effort to do it for them.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: September 29, 2013, 11:58:50 pm »

I've got the tokens on this save, and still nothing showing up after 7 years. Only got 50 people, but the trigger is also really low. Needs more tests.

Been hacking food and drinks to ensure the fort lives on, so that's a possible (though unlikely) variable. So, I'd feel more confident with some hack-free testing.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: September 30, 2013, 12:19:30 am »

I've been working on a new race for when my turn comes around, and I was wondering what the [SPECIAL_BURIAL] token does. The wiki has no mention of it.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: September 30, 2013, 12:24:33 am »

I've been working on a new race for when my turn comes around, and I was wondering what the [SPECIAL_BURIAL] token does. The wiki has no mention of it.
I know, it's annoying.

I think it allows mummies, but they wouldn't be in this version, because nobody added them.

Or maybe it just means they are given special tombs.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: September 30, 2013, 12:29:51 am »

I know, it's annoying.

I think it allows mummies, but they wouldn't be in this version, because nobody added them.

Or maybe it just means they are given special tombs.
How would one - for the sake of argument - add such undead creatures into the game?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: September 30, 2013, 12:35:11 am »

I don't really know, you could look at the raws for mummies, for reference.

I never really delved into that one.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: September 30, 2013, 12:45:03 am »

As an interaction, with a certain USAGE_HINT

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: September 30, 2013, 12:02:26 pm »

If the game comes up with a corrupt compressed file error, replace kingarrival with a vanilla one. I had no opportunity to test it, since it's not exactly the easiest thing to test.

You'll probably get an in-game dialog message saying "Text generation failed: data/announcement/kingarrival".  At least that's what happened when I tried to use your empty announcement file as the fortressintro announcement.

The same message appears if I:
  • delete the file entirely,
  • make the first line say something other than the name of the file,
  • delete all but the first line,
  • delete all but the first line and some whitespace, or
  • delete all but the first line and the title.
In the last case, the message appears under the supplied title; apparently, what DF is actually checking for is the presence of non-whitespace text in the body of the message.

However, it does turn out that line breaks past the first line don't matter: putting the entire announcement, title and all, on the second line works just fine.  Also, if you use multiple [TITLE] tags, the last title appears to override the earlier ones.

Also, in related news, the master branch on GitHub now contains the full vanilla data/announcement, data/dipscript, data/help and data/speech folders, as well as our additions to them.  More usefully, the "data_src" folder contains the uncompressed text versions of those files (except the speech files, which are already plain text), and there's also a Perl script to compress (or uncompress) those files.  Thus, you can simply edit the text files under data_src and then run the Perl script to update the compressed versions.
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: September 30, 2013, 01:41:49 pm »

My fortressintro isn't blank...

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: September 30, 2013, 02:44:31 pm »

My fortressintro isn't blank...

No, but your kingarrival is. I just moved it to fortressintro for testing, based on the assumption that the game treats all the announcements the same way. Which I could be wrong about, of course.
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 261