Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many want to keep this up in the next release?

Me
- 16 (22.9%)
Me!
- 54 (77.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 261

Author Topic: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.  (Read 500658 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: DF from scratch: The entirely player-made universe succession.
« Reply #2625 on: September 30, 2013, 02:45:31 pm »

The first line of the file is the name of the file, so I don't think so.

Anyway, kingarrival shouldn't be empty either. I guess I made a mistake.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: October 01, 2013, 08:29:55 am »

Hi guys!  I made a few small tweaks to Putnam's race-neutral fortressintro annoucement, and neutralized the remaining dwarf-specific announcements.  (The fortressintro tweaks are mostly a matter of taste -- I just felt "A New Outpost" looks nicer as a title than just "An Outpost".)

Those tweaks are currently in a separate "WIP" branch on GitHub (which was sort of the point -- I wanted to test that feature), but if everyone and especially Lost In Nowhere thinks they're OK, I can merge them into the master branch, for inclusion in the next release.

(Also, I did the bugfix changes suggested by Halfling upthread -- removing the vigor test reactions, making top hats [SHAPED] and fixing the tea plant tile color -- before noticing that Lost In Nowhere said he'd already done that(?).  Lost In Nowhere, would you like me to merge in those fixes too, or should I just wait for your version with your own fixes?)
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: October 01, 2013, 09:06:16 pm »

Hehe, I'm fine with that, btw. My fortressintro was super-basic by design, so that a better one could be built off it.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: October 03, 2013, 04:22:54 pm »

OK, I've been having too much fun playing Terraria lately to do much on this. Anyways, the current raws for the creature I'm working on:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:SLIME_RED_LIN]
[NAME:red slime:red slimes:red slime]
[CASTE_NAME:red slime:red slimes:red slime]
[DESCRIPTION:A small, red slime that inhabit the depths of the earth. They use their heat to digest their victims.]
[CREATURE_TILE:'s'][COLOR:4:0:1][GLOWCOLOR:4:0:1][GLOWTILE:'s']
[FREQUENCY:50][BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA][UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:4:4]
[EXTRAVISION][NOBREATHE][MAGMA_VISION][FIREIMMUNE][IMMOLATE][SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:1100]
[LIKES_FIGHTING][AMPHIBIOUS][NOPAIN][NOFEAR][CARNIVORE][LIGHT_GEN]
[DIURNAL][MUNDANE][BENIGN][CHILD:0][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:red slime:red slimes][PET_EXOTIC]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:50:80][CLUSTER_NUMBER:8:12]
[MAXAGE:40:50]
[BODY_SIZE:18000]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:2600]
[BODY_SIZE:0:100:9400]
[BODY_SIZE:1:0:18000]
[BODY_SIZE:5:0:24000]
[BODY_SIZE:10:0:38000]
[BODY_SIZE:50:0:70000]
[BODY:1PBODY_BRAIN_LIN]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SLIME_MATERIALS_LIN]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:SLIME]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:RED]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:RED]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:RED]
[HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
[IGNITE_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:NONE]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:13000]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:MEMBRANE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:VERMILION]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:VERMILION]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:VERMILION]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:NERVE_TISSUE]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SLIME_TISSUES_LIN]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SLIME_LAYERS_LIN]
[CREATURE_CLASS:ALL][CREATURE_CLASS:SLIME][CREATURE_CLASS:INVERTEBRATE][CREATURE_CLASS:ORGANIC]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[LITTERSIZE:20:40]
Currently, the only time anything lights on fire is when you pick up a piece of its corpse. Then you combust and start melting.
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: October 03, 2013, 04:26:07 pm »

New idea: those are one of the sources of the gnome's accelerant for their firearms.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: October 03, 2013, 05:09:23 pm »

"powdered red slime" - red slimes are first dried in a kiln to produce "strips of red slime", then milled to produce the "powdered red slime".  Mix the powder with wax and viola! a combustible wax plug! All that's needed is a bit of water to rehydrate the powder a bit and pffff! It combusts! (Mind the rain though, may spontaneously explode.)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: October 03, 2013, 05:29:00 pm »

Why water? Wouldn't a spark make more sense?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: October 03, 2013, 06:12:27 pm »

It was an interesting idea about why it would be good to "keep your powder dry".  Rather than making it go inert like black powder, red powder should explode when exposed to water. This would explain why red slime corpses would catch people on fire, but not the red slimes themselves - it's in reaction to the moisture in their skin.  Also, there's the matter of handling red slimes - alive, they crawl away, but dead they catch gatherers on fire, so "curing" live slimes in a kiln would seal them under a protective covering of ash, and remain dry while powdering - also why the powder is combined with wax: wax is hydrophobic, so it keeps the powder dry as well.  A small spring hammer or spike could split the wax plug, arming the powder, then a squirt of water (or just a well aimed loogey) would be able to activate it.  The possibility of a backfire or even blunt force trauma rupturing many plugs and causing them to all activate at the same time just sounds SO DF, I had to include it.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: October 03, 2013, 06:14:48 pm »

You'd think that a spark makes more sense, but...well, it happens in real life. Spectacularly.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: October 03, 2013, 06:19:09 pm »

Yes, but the caverns are moist as a swamp, meaning they shouldn't survive more than an hour down there (and that no goods made from them would either), and besides... they're slimes. You know, gel creatures. They've got to be made of a considerable portion of either water or ethanol in the first place.

Plus, there's no way to make anything react with anything else right now. Especially not water. They only thing that can trigger explosions is flash-boiling caused by immolation.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: October 03, 2013, 06:29:30 pm »

Some caverns are moist as a swamp. Others are pretty dry and devoid of water - underground deserts without fear of rain. If it was, say, the innards of the slime that exploded instead of the skin, it would probably make much more sense - the slime stays alive and un-exploded, but when its membrane is breached too much, its insides are exposed to water and it goes kaboom. Their excrement could be an explanation for the [IMMOLATE] token, too - wherever they lay waste, their waste catches on fire. The concentration of alkaline metals for this could be a by-product of some kind of metabolic process involving the breaking down of metal compounds for food.

Alternatively, the combustion could be a result of self-destructive enzymes being released on death that would break down alkaline compounds in their skin and body, making the corpse liable to combust at the slightest provocation.

I don't have any evolutionary hand-waving for the reaction thing. Maybe some kind of interaction creatures can do if they have slime goo and water on them that sets themself on fire, to simulate it?
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: October 03, 2013, 06:30:54 pm »

Plus, there's no way to make anything react with anything else right now. Especially not water. They only thing that can trigger explosions is flash-boiling caused by immolation.
Not true. HARDENS_WITH_WATER lets a material become a different one on contact with water. This can include a material that immediately boils into a burning hot vapour.

(Warning: side effects may include explosives being used as casts.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:33:19 pm by Nahere »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: October 03, 2013, 06:32:57 pm »

Please don't use that color.

And they don't become a different material, they just change to a different state of the same material.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: October 03, 2013, 06:39:16 pm »

Sorry, something screwed up when I was posting. Also I'm pretty sure I've seen Putnam use this sort of thing in his science mod before. According to the wiki it excepts a material token as an argument, so it should work.
Ah, found it:
PLASTER has [HARDENS_WITH_WATER:INORGANIC:GYPSUM], pointing to a separate material.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: October 03, 2013, 06:42:49 pm »

Fair enough. But it would require micromanagement to avoid exploding the patients in most need of aid. And there's the problem of people trying to use them as gun accelerant, when the caverns are always at least covered in mud (but that's more a lore issue, as mud doesn't get things wet ingame)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:44:28 pm by HugoLuman »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 261