Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 69929 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2013, 03:18:53 pm »

I think it will be better overall for us to turn too and tail them instead. On the other hand, we can fire our cannons and then do that.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
  • Dave The Avatarless, Master of Comebacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2013, 03:20:23 pm »

Steven,Blue

Get to the closest machine gun and strafe the enemy deck, whilst rapping at a high speed.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2013, 03:21:07 pm »

Fill it with fuel, load it into a cannon.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2013, 03:23:32 pm »

Name
Stats: 4 Strenght, 2 Dexterity, 4 Intelligence. 3 Sabre, 2 Engineering.
Team: Blue
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2013, 03:24:19 pm »

I believe that would be a good idea. I'm not sure our cannons reach that far, but if we tail them I can keep shooting.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2013, 03:26:06 pm »

Find cover when the deck gets machine-gunned; but once again, if the enemy ship comes close enough, board 'em.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2013, 03:27:29 pm »

The cockpit and upper deck are both gunnable. I think you need to go down to the cannon deck to get cover.

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2013, 03:32:09 pm »

We need to turn right. Then our canoneering will be guda cheese.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2013, 03:36:01 pm »

Any questions?
((Maybe I know way to little about this, but is seems to me that turning on your side to face the enemy from is not the most efficient way to fire cannons, and is also very dangerous. First, because you will not be able to fire all of your cannons into their ship, just one or two. Second, because the front of the ship is the best defended part of the ship. For one thing, it is the opposite of flat, so the cannon-ball will simply slide off. It's like hitting a plate mail in the chest (absolutely pointless).

And thirdly, because the other ship will then ram you into the side, and totally mess you up.))
1.You can hit them with all of your cannons on that side. The cannons can only fire if you have your side lined up, but if you do they can all fire and hit the same place or fire and hit anything thats possible to hit from that position. They have some degree of aim.
2.The prow is the best defended exterior part, yes. But why not fire on their cockpit instead? It's in line with the front of the ship, just further back.
3.Angles aren't taken into account. For simplicity sake.
4.It's an example of a possible movement maneuver, not a recommendation of tactics.

If we fired our cannons now, couldn't we hit the enemy as they pass by?
Technically, you could have. But there was no one down with the cannons, ready to fire them as the ship passed. Movement in this is so far a bit screwy, it happens AFTER the turn's actions. However, when it comes to cannons and passing shots, we're gonna fudge it a bit and say that if you have someone down with the cannons, on the right side, ready to fire, then they'll get their shot.

Steven,Blue

Get to the closest machine gun and strafe the enemy deck, whilst rapping at a high speed.
You can't. The machine guns won't turn that far. Theres a part under the turn that says that and has diagrams  as to why it can't.

Fill it with fuel, load it into a cannon.
Why? The explosive shells already create fire. All you'd be doing is the equivalent of replacing one explosive with another.

Name
Stats: 4 Strenght, 2 Dexterity, 4 Intelligence. 3 Sabre, 2 Engineering.
Team: Blue
Little late. And we don't have a wait list...But after this fight we're gonna have another, so feel free to sign up then.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2013, 03:39:15 pm »

Can we do things in three dimensions, despite the current lack of mechanics for it?

DaveTheGrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2013, 03:41:48 pm »

Steven,Blue
change mind and move to the middle right cannon, If there is a possible line of fire on the cockpit, attempt to shoot said cannon at said enemy cockpit.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 18, 2013, 03:42:04 pm »

((I understand that this tactic would work with the game mechanics. I'm just saying that the above-mentioned tactic is stupid and really really dangerous. Sorry about that, and I don't usually call you out like that. However, it's also important to not give people wrong ideas about what would work, and what wouldn't. i.e.: The problem of modern entertainment.

By the way, my secret idea to tie ropes to us and swing into their ship, igniting everything, will have to be discarded because if the ships are moving, we won't really have enough time to do anything.))

Red Team
Name: Vlad

Vlad hands out several (3 if I have enough) molotovs to everyone. He then takes a position at the cannons, and will help aim anybody who decided to fire them. He will not fire the cannons if he is the only one there.

Cheat Sheet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:58:29 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »

FINE THEN!
Strap some explosive shells together, add fuse. If possible, construct catapult.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2013, 04:12:25 pm »

Oh, you crazy mask guy.

Turn right and then fly forward, continuing at Speed 3 and trying to get the enemy ship in our cannons' sights. At the closest point of our trajectories this turn, fire a shot at any crewmembers I can see.

Would it be too much to ask for a link to the map at the bottom of each turn? I keep forgetting where it is.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:01:54 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2013, 04:19:06 pm »

Can we do things in three dimensions, despite the current lack of mechanics for it?
Not yet. Next battle though, you can.

Speaking of which; this battle is really about introducing people to mechanics and testing damage systems as well as working out mechanical kinks. Next battle will include vertical movement and Some degree of customization for the ships. As such, if anyone has weapons, systems, items or the like they would like to suggest as possible for next round, feel free. Things I've already got are

Man and ship based flame throwers
Harpoon like guns for spearing and attaching to the other ship and boarding
single man fighters and landing strip
enclosed cockpit and viewing system
etc.

Oh, you crazy mask guy.

Fly forward, continuing at Speed 3 and trying to get the enemy ship in our cannons' sights. At the closest point of our trajectories this turn, fire a shot at any crewmembers I can see.

Would it be too much to ask for a link to the map at the bottom of each turn? I keep forgetting where it is.
Currently it's in the op, but I can throw it at the bottom too.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:21:11 pm by piecewise »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 55