Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 55

Author Topic: Airship Combat: Rocket man.  (Read 69936 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Airship Combat: Now with More, probably hard to follow, Tutorials
« Reply #525 on: August 06, 2013, 08:59:13 pm »

Wounds in this game are going to be pretty harsh in that they're gonna be realistic. And that they'll impact stats. For instance, if you lose one arm, you effectively lose 1/4 of your strength points. Shooting someone in the leg will cripple their speed to greater and lesser degrees depending on the injury and the person's end roll. After I finish this up what I'm gonna do is post the pdf and then ask two people to make up quick, throwaway, pure combat characters to test it with me real quick.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 06, 2013, 09:36:30 pm »

The only problem with realistic wounds is that they screw with the balance when dealing with two groups of a few highly elite people.

When you have 50 people on a ship and 5 of them lose 1/4 of their strength, not a big deal.
When you have 10, and the primary strongman loses 1/4 of his strength? It's a big deal.

That said, I still like realism. But if we're going to be only a few people, we should have the 'FIGHT THROUGH THE PAIN' magic all elite people get.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 06, 2013, 09:41:48 pm »

The only problem with realistic wounds is that they screw with the balance when dealing with two groups of a few highly elite people.

When you have 50 people on a ship and 5 of them lose 1/4 of their strength, not a big deal.
When you have 10, and the primary strongman loses 1/4 of his strength? It's a big deal.

That said, I still like realism. But if we're going to be only a few people, we should have the 'FIGHT THROUGH THE PAIN' magic all elite people get.
Or maybe we should just have creative ways to strike back? I actually like realistic wounds, and in regards to a ship losing it's strongman, I would actually maintain that we should have benefits to surrendering instead of dragging out the conlict. If the other ship is able to handily defeat you, than good. Nothing wrong with having a short match.

That said, I very very much prefer crafty ways to catch up to your opponents, than having everyone be a bullet sponge.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 06, 2013, 09:43:32 pm »

Or, to put it another way, to have your sharpshooter aim for the pilot and incapacitate him is a rewarding task, even if he can only shoot him in the arm.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 06, 2013, 09:45:46 pm »

Would it be possible to make a bullet sponge? That might be interesting to play, as a character which serves the crew by stepping in front of enemy fire.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 06, 2013, 09:55:01 pm »

Would it be possible to make a bullet sponge? That might be interesting to play, as a character which serves the crew by stepping in front of enemy fire.
A bullet sponge as in you can get hit, but be able to carry on? Absolutely, you can buff up your Endurance stats. Also, I am sure that there will be different armors and other stuffs available in the final version. The thing to remember with Piecewise, is that if you have a creative idea that fits in the setting, he will usually implement it.

Actually stepping in front of a machine-gun and soaking up the bullets? I very much doubt it. Unless you do it in a smart and creative way, (ie, dexterity and trickery based, not pure fat,) it just seems ridiculous.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #531 on: August 06, 2013, 10:55:47 pm »

With armor or a ballistic shield, sure. It would take damage and couldn't do it forever, but yeah that would work. But without it, no, you can't stat a man who specializes in being shot. Well, you could make someone very tough so that they take it better, but not just sit there and bounce bullets off your abs.

Or, to put it another way, to have your sharpshooter aim for the pilot and incapacitate him is a rewarding task, even if he can only shoot him in the arm.
I'd still aim for the head though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 07, 2013, 12:52:11 am »

With armor or a ballistic shield, sure. It would take damage and couldn't do it forever, but yeah that would work. But without it, no, you can't stat a man who specializes in being shot. Well, you could make someone very tough so that they take it better, but not just sit there and bounce bullets off your abs.
Oh, darn, I'll have to play a character who does something.
Another problem comes into play like it does for Captain America's shield: Why would they shoot at you?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #533 on: August 07, 2013, 09:37:49 am »

Oh, darn, I'll have to play a character who does something.
Another problem comes into play like it does for Captain America's shield: Why would they shoot at you?
Unlike Captain America, shields and armor aren't fool proof. They offer passive defensive bonuses but it's still possible for attacks to get through them. Plus they take damage every time they block attacks, so it's possible to just drill your way through them with enough damage.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 07, 2013, 09:42:10 am »

Not quite my question. My question was: Why would the enemy shoot at the bullet sponge and not, say, the ship? Or the pilot?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #535 on: August 07, 2013, 10:04:44 am »

Not quite my question. My question was: Why would the enemy shoot at the bullet sponge and not, say, the ship? Or the pilot?
Oh, well that I don't know. Maybe because the bullet sponge is charging at them, swinging a lead pipe over his head? I never attempt to decipher the machinations of players.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 07, 2013, 10:21:48 am »

Probably because anti-personnel weapons will do jackshit to the ship?and the bullet sponge is standing in between them and the pilot, while everyone else is belowdecks?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 07, 2013, 10:46:13 am »

Easy to hit, and lack of knowledge of him being a bullet sponge.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #538 on: August 10, 2013, 12:46:32 am »

So here is the incomplete Airman's manual.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bhv3vmknnotxu1/Airship%20Crew%20Manual.pdf
It contains only information about the player mechanics, with nothing about the ship stuff. That comes in the next part. Right now, this should be enough to let you consider what kind of character you want to make. Tomorrow, assuming I shake this massive headache, I'll be taking 2 people to do a pvp test. In case you want to figure out what your character would be if you're chosen for that quick test, quick and dirty is as follows:

8 points for skills, 8 points for stats.
1 ranged weapon, 1 melee weapon.

Keep in mind that for this test, the weapons won't have any negatives or bonuses attached to them, so don't bother being too specific in the exact make and model of gun or anything.

Oh and do me a favor and post if you want to take part in this. Or if you see any glaring omissions or confusing sections in the text. Oh and download the pdf, otherwise the tables might not show up right. At least it doesn't on my pc.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:57:10 am by piecewise »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 10, 2013, 12:48:48 am »

>Join Test
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 55