Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 38

Author Topic: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)  (Read 502877 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2015, 09:45:32 pm »

Oh  yeah, the hunting/war dog method there is great, where'd you get the idea from?

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
  • ... taken by a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2015, 02:50:45 am »

Looks pretty fantastic, I'm not to sold on the cats but considering it's 16x16 there's not much room to work with. I kind of want the dogs as pets, those last 2 are so adorable. The art style is pretty nice too. Ah I really can't wait to see how your pack turns out.

Well, it would be fantastic if you could use the first dog for stray, war and hunt and one of the last for when/if they become pets, but it probably would be confusing?

The cats... yeah. It's difficult enough to make them look like cats and being faithful to the spacefox style with that few pixels, to give them attitude too. In fact, the third cat is the least "spacefoxey"

Oh  yeah, the hunting/war dog method there is great, where'd you get the idea from?

Oh, that. From myself I guess. The colored collar method didn't convince me. You really can't see that at that tiny resolution. So I though it would be cool and more visible if, once the dogs become trained, the dwarfs just apply some kind of war/hunting marks on them. Sort of "war painting". Suddenly it's a lot more visible and recognizable
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 05:10:19 am by Dibujor »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2015, 04:17:06 am »

Yeah, that is by far the most amazing hunting/war type palette idea I've ever seen.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2015, 11:14:25 am »

Spoiler: Long quote (click to show/hide)

It would be nice if you could use the different sprites like that but at least having those 3 types also gives people choices for which dogs they want to use. Plus if they ever create new pets in mods those can be used. I like the third cats body the most, the head doesn't fit my tastes though. Maybe try to put the 2nd dogs 2nd rows head on that third cat and see how that looks, cause I think that'd look decent. It may need to be touched up a little but I think it'd look somewhat better, though the third 2nd row dogs head could also work with whiskers maybe?

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #274 on: May 31, 2015, 09:25:28 am »

I like the third cats body the most, the head doesn't fit my tastes though. Maybe try to put the 2nd dogs 2nd rows head on that third cat and see how that looks, cause I think that'd look decent. It may need to be touched up a little but I think it'd look somewhat better, though the third 2nd row dogs head could also work with whiskers maybe?

I like the second chubby cat better, think it goes along well with spacefox style and the idea of the cats being the masters that df proposes. They're kind of Garfield-ish :D but here you have that 4th cat (3rd cat's body + 2nd dog puppy head). More options is always a good thing isn't it?.  The other one doesn't work though. You can't really add whiskers at this low resolution without destroying completely the illusion of the head. Every pixel counts here. :)

Should I post here the tileset for domestic? I mean, in it's correct order with just one version (the one you/people prefer) for those animals that have more than one and another png with the leftovers so you can choose. I think I followed phoebus raws for this so they should work as is but you better check it.

[Edit] Nevermind, I must have followed and older phoebus tiles for domestics. It seems the actual tileset for phoebus animals has more than the domestic ones so the order isn't correct.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:38:10 am by Dibujor »

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 31, 2015, 12:14:41 pm »

I'm thinking like this http://sammycatbone.deviantart.com/art/Cat-GIF-315023480

Which in turn makes this. Whether that sprite can be used or not is probably a no, but you get the picture :P. Though I can't really say whether they created that or it's not a free resource. Cause they only made it into a gif but didn't create it? I've no idea but for my own personal use that cat looks awesome.

The kitten looks like a pony though.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 12:16:58 pm by LeoCean »

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #276 on: May 31, 2015, 12:30:47 pm »

He/She states that got the sprite from The-Spriters-Resource. Wether that means it's usable or not... I don't know

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #277 on: May 31, 2015, 04:00:49 pm »

I begun with the goblins but then I found one of the references I had, were the ones spacefox did originally so I may ask:

Should I continue with the original ones or with mine? It's all the same to me, honestly.  I haven't found a real size image for spacefox ones, seems screenshots is all we've got.

Spoiler: My Goblins (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spacefox's (click to show/hide)

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 31, 2015, 04:40:35 pm »

Oh man...that's a hard choice. They're both equally good and full of personality.

But now that I think about it, your goblins have a much heavier build and they're really distinct from the Spacefox goblins. Maybe they'd work better as Masterwork Orcs? I would just edit the old Spacefox goblins to save time and keep your new goblins in case anyone wants to make Spacefox Orcs.

Also, I forgot to tell this to you earlier but you really should add some selective outlining to your sprites. It will make them fit the Spacefox style much better and let you add more shading detail into the tiny 16x16 space.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 04:54:19 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #279 on: May 31, 2015, 05:53:23 pm »

Yep, When I was making them I took spacefox dwarves as my main reference. In those, the main details are conveyed through the head, the body is testimonial and thought about making the same with the goblins to be faithful to the style (Although you can't be more faithful than the own original artist, right?). But you are right, they seem bulkier and could be orcs. Hmm... thining the body could help with that

Hmm... or maybe not.

Thanks for the advice on the outlining. Just noticed something similar on the spacefox goblins, but I was afraid of losing contrast at this tiny size. Now you told me, I'll try to do it :)

Unfortunately the work amount is the same. There's no tileset for the spacefox goblins (or I haven't been able to find any), just oversized screenshots so I'll have to redraw them.

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #280 on: May 31, 2015, 06:16:20 pm »

I've no idea but for my own personal use that cat looks awesome.
The kitten looks like a pony though.

Here, if you want that for your own use, no problem :)

No kitten pony though

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 31, 2015, 08:07:47 pm »

Hmmm, is this helpful?

In one of my older saves graphic folders I've got these for the kobolds which look like those first spacefox gobs you mentioned:

There's also these which are under the afro folder?

Incidentally I kinda prefer your more spacefoxy big head/tiny body ones for that set aesthetic.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:11:25 pm by Max™ »

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 31, 2015, 09:10:14 pm »

I like your goblins but I've got to admit they do look like orcs, especially with the tusks? I dislike those spacefox examples besides row 3. I think a mix of row 3 and your goblins would work the best, I'm not certain though, don't make it out like that dog/cat lol. The mouth your goblins have is also quite orcish, but orcs don't even exist in dwarf fortress so who's to say they didn't evolve like that.

It'd be nice if you get the tile sheet like the dwarf sheet, since in the next patch there should be other race members of the fort and I expect they will use those sprites/tiles. They could work however if you made them a tad skinnier and got rid of the tusks/ teeth that are showing.

Thanks for the kitties :D..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:03:15 pm by LeoCean »

Dibujor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #283 on: June 01, 2015, 07:50:47 am »

Seems you like my goblins... so here we are with yet another try to make them look less like orcs and more like goblins. Original can serve as a base for masterwork spacefox orcs in the future...
Let's see what do you think..

Yeah Max, thanks! that'll help. That's spacefox original goblin tileset (though colored for kobolds, brown instead of green). So if people prefer spacefox set I just have to recolor them and continue from there :).

Ok LeoCean, I'll use the order of the dwarves as a base for the goblins. I was thinking yesterday about why you need that many goblins (barons?, traders?...) and then I knew about the next patch and the multi races forts. So that will make having complete sets for races even more important.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 01, 2015, 08:04:22 am »

Five looks like a clear winner to me, says "goblin" pretty well. Also glad I keep random older saves and stuff in my older df folders.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 38