Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Kerbalnauts RTD  (Read 9235 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kerbalnauts RTD
« on: August 07, 2013, 08:39:35 pm »

This game is inspired by Kerbal Space Program and 10ebbor10's Space Race forum game. It will be simplified and abstracted. It will start out on the harder side of science, then probably shift until it's a more marshmallowly consistency. Players are not expected to survive a full term.

Players each take on an important role in Kerbal Space Program: Systems Engineers, Vehicle Engineers, or Kerbalnauts. Each player is assumed to lead one team of undefined size. Kerbals are not very bright at all. The play term is 9 years, at which point, if the player is still even alive, they will be added to the hall of shame and retired, as a waitlister is cycled in. Players may immediately rejoin the waitlist, and continue with a new character on the next turn if it is empty.

Sign-ups are NOT first come. The waitlist is. I will choose six players to start, hopefully two of each specialty. I'll try to keep a minimum of one of each specialty at any one time.

Spoiler: KSP Registration Form (click to show/hide)

Each turn, the players may choose to design (or improve) a vehicle, design/invent/improve a system for a rocket, or try to pilot a vehicle. Any player may do any tasks. Multiple people may fly the same vehicle for better rolls, space permitting.

Successes may grant more funding to KSP, which will in turn reward that player with more money to work with. A vehicle or part may be designed to be cheaper/more expensive, or an existing vehicle design may be made cheaper/more expensive. Changing the price in the design phase will have more of an effect, and the player will have more control over the results.

* is an arbitrary unit. When more is better, 4 is great and 5 is exceptional. You're better off without a high price or weight. - is for negatives.

Spoiler: Starting Control Parts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starting Engine Parts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starting Fuel (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starting Other Parts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starting Power Parts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starting SCIENCE Parts (click to show/hide)

Having typed all that up, I'll now say that the exact stats don't really matter to me. Rather than adding things up and doing strange math, I'll roll for each of the vehicle's stats, and generally guess at what each stat should be after looking at the parts used and the roll. Obviously, lots of dangerous parts will probably make it explode on the launch pad, even with a good roll for design safety.

Spoiler: Sample Vehicle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sample Turn (click to show/hide)

I also need the following settings:
Political Stability: WWIII / Hot / Cold-war / Warm / Neutral / Calm / Pacifistic
Random Events: Chaotic / Many / Some / Few / None
*Special* difficulty: Supreme System Overlord / <SEG-FAULT ERROR! SHUTTING DOWN!>

Let me know what I forgot to add here.

Waitlist:
1 - BFEL
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:44:57 pm by Nirur Torir »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbalnauts RTD
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:40:15 pm »

Spoiler: Control Parts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Engine Parts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fuel (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Structural Parts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other Parts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Power Parts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: SCIENCE Parts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Weaponry (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:33:00 pm by Nirur Torir »

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:41:15 pm »

IN now reading the stuff, Nice to see you again Nurir

I can't Decide which spec i want, really they all look so fun, Let's go with vehicle Engineer (not gonna stop me doing other stuff)
Name: Sasha Fitz-Jeb Kerman
Specialty: (Systems Engineer, Vehicle Engineer, or Kerbalnaut. -1 to tasks unrelated to the chosen profession.)
Why you should be chosen for KSP, in 100 words or less: Because the blood of Jebediah Kerman flows in me, also because I believe that risks must be taken to ensure that explosions fill the night sky, failing explosions a mission to the Mun or to build a space station are decent second choices.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:47:46 pm by wolfchild »
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:42:40 pm »

Hello, welcome back.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:21:52 pm »

Geez, I just got the demo and this seems like a fun game without much of a time commitment...I'll consider. Um.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 09:30:06 pm »

Name: Murgle Kerblore
Specialty: Systems Engineer
Why you should be chosen for KSP, in 100 words or less: I will work tirelessly to improve our systems and further our goals, no matter how many setbacks we may suffer or caskets we may need or commemorative jars we may use because there wasn't really a lot left and we're not even sure how much of this is Jim and how much is the side booster control line whose grim failure so utterly doomed him.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 09:30:22 pm »

Hello, welcome back.

been back for about 4 days, but mostly have not left the RTD subforumn so that's why
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 09:43:35 pm »

A RTD of KSP... I sense explosions in the near future

Name: Kirrim Kerman
Specialty: Kerbonaught
Why I should be chosen: I studied the ways of the great Jebbidiah, and as such, I will fly any ship no matter how shoddily designed, stay in space for decades and still be ready to more, and scream at engineers to add MOAR STRUTS and MOAR BOOSTERS!!!! But try not to kill me. Please.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 09:48:22 pm »

A RTD of KSP... I sense explosions in the near future

Hell, I even put explosions in My 100 words or less

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 10:04:11 pm »

Realy, explosions are to ksp as magma is to DF. It's the cause and solution to so many problems.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 10:04:30 pm »

PTW
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 04:37:53 am »

Name: Jeoff Kerman
Speciality: Kerbalnaut
Why I should be chosen: I have spent my whole life wanting to explore space, and have studied for it practically every day! I can fly, and honestly don't care about danger or anything.
I'll even sign a form saying that I won't sue you if something blows up in my face or anything!
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 07:46:16 am »

Name: Leeroy J. Kerbal
Specialty: Kerbalnaut
Why KSP Should Choose Me: I'm willing to serve, ready to die, and have a resistance to cranial injury almost two standard deviations above the norm.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 09:58:54 am »

Name: Robert Von Kerman
Specialty: System Engineer
Why KSP should choose me: I bothered to read the entire form

Political Stability: WWIII / Hot / Cold-war / Warm / Neutral / Calm / Pacifistic
Random Events: Chaotic / Many / Some / Few / None
*Special* difficulty: Supreme System Overlord / <SEG-FAULT ERROR! SHUTTING DOWN!> : CONTROL OF THE MEANS OF EXPLOSION, BY THE MEANS OF EXPLOSION

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 12:38:50 pm »

Well, it isn't part of the form... But we all still need to do it. You win, I guess.

Political stability: neutral
Random events: many
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15