Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 977314 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: Oh mah gawd, the angst!
« Reply #6225 on: February 07, 2014, 11:26:55 am »

yeah...because our group will totaly not fight many sorts of various evil entities and organisations in the long list of upcoming plots that would utterly rejoice when they learn that there is a traitor-for-hire right among us. Trying to out-pay any enemies that might try to hire her is like holding a granade with a pulled pin. the moment your grip on her even slips for a second, you are fucked
I'm not convinced that she's a "traitor for hire".

also, why would we retcon any of what happened?
Because it made the Star Wars prequels look good.
Sorry, maybe not that bad, but still. It's definitely the lowest-quality chapter so far.

it did lead to character development,
Whose? Where?

it's leading into a somewhat fresh start (castle that is outfitted to cater to all our needs and whims, from swimming pool, to large server room, to one of these x-com style global holograms in a situation room, and even heavy magical/technological artillery to defend our place > suburban house with not nearly enough bathrooms for all of us to get ready in the morning in time)
Which is an inherently good thing, why? Especially since the "fresh start" was forced on us by a bunch of BS.

go back through the thread a bit, I had a long post about fixes to dex, and utilization for str and end somewhere backthere, which went mostly ignored because of Twi throwing up all over rag
You might also notice my comments and critiques.

... How close was it?
Two wanted to retcon everything, two wanted to retcon some things but not everything, three wanted to retcon nothing.

Also I agree with akroma on the retcon, so if one vote would have made a difference, consider mine to be to keep it.
That just ties it up. And I have to assume you didn't vote yet.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: February 07, 2014, 11:30:15 am »

"it's just da job mon" - last words before she betrays us because an enemy made a good offer. she is a mercenary, and clearly has a morality so loose you could fit a building through it

anyway, Will can stay in the ruined house if he wants to, no problem

and yes, I have noticed your critique, only one action per person per round is very much a choice to be considered. I'll leave it to the GMs ahead of me for playtesting until I decide what to run in my plot, by then it should have settled and/or Elf made a binding set
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: February 07, 2014, 11:31:23 am »

Also, if you recon the combat you kinda have to retcon... Pretty much everything that happened this week. And I disn't vote before. Seriously, if I was going to vote multiple times I'd just use more than one device.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: February 07, 2014, 11:31:57 am »

Why are we changing the system that worked well In the past for no good reason?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: February 07, 2014, 11:35:28 am »

as a whole, retcons are a weak solution. It's always better to just make the best of the situation as it is, without raging too much about the meta

angels swiped the floor with us, we are now homeless

that's not too bad. It was forced unto us, sure, but it's an opportunity. As in real life, characters can't always chose the direction of their life, what matters is with how the deal with stuff they didn't think would happen.

also, the system didn't really work well in the past
the damage output is too low, and the endurance roll allowed you to *entirely* ignore the damage as long as you passed the roll.

like this, combat takes too long. it was either reducing health, or increasing damage, else fights that are actually played out to the bitter end would take months
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: February 07, 2014, 11:37:26 am »

What do you mean? Elf's fights took like a day to get done with.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: February 07, 2014, 11:37:41 am »

go back through the thread a bit, I had a long post about fixes to dex, and utilization for str and end somewhere backthere, which went mostly ignored because of Twi throwing up all over rag

Hmm...

Most of the DEX parts looks pretty good. I'll probably just make a critical dodge reset your dodging penalties though. A critical hit will also just do maximum damage and always, just to simplify things a bit. Multiple actions might be dropped off the table too. Also, a critical will be defined as rolling a 96 or higher, for obvious reasons.

The second part about STR/END I'm not too sure about. Mostly because people's weapons don't actually have stats or anything.

I might think of an alternative system or something based on these stats. Give me a while.

also, the system didn't really work well in the past
the damage output is too low, and the endurance roll allowed you to *entirely* ignore the damage as long as you passed the roll.

like this, combat takes too long. it was either reducing health, or increasing damage, else fights that are actually played out to the bitter end would take months

Pretty much this. It's a crappy system for anything except freeform roleplay.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: February 07, 2014, 11:38:52 am »

Ignoring the damage took a crit fail on the attacker's side and a crit success on the defender's side. Combat only took so long because Rag was away for half of it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: February 07, 2014, 11:39:03 am »

"it's just da job mon" - last words before she betrays us because an enemy made a good offer. she is a mercenary, and clearly has a morality so loose you could fit a building through it
And what do you judge these by? Is anyone who justifies their choice of employment by "It's just a job" a horrible mercenary who will do anything for a wuick buck? Does killing one person--a person who is incidentally fighting you, presumably intending to deal death or grievous harm--make you the most unspeakably evil kind of person possible?

anyway, Will can stay in the ruined house if he wants to, no problem
When did he suggest he would be?

Also, if you recon the combat you kinda have to retcon... Pretty much everything that happened this week.
Well, the plot was entirely focused on the actions of your characters, with the others' actions making only nominal contributions (Kyle, even though it was pretty clear that his testimony wasn't enough to sway the angels without Yuri's) or none at all (everyone-fucking-else).
And the plot was murky and confusing, often made no sense, and let's face it nothing much really happened except the destruction of Arya's house.

Why are we changing the system that worked well In the past for no good reason?
Hell if I know.

as a whole, retcons are a weak solution. It's always better to just make the best of the situation as it is, without raging too much about the meta
Retcons are the last-ditch solution to a crappy plot.

angels swiped the floor with us, we are now homeless

that's not too bad. It was forced unto us, sure, but it's an opportunity. As in real life, characters can't always chose the direction of their life, what matters is with how the deal with stuff they didn't think would happen.
You're missing the point. I'm not complaining about the quality of the outcome (well, except the lack of actual character development), I'm complaining about the quality of the process. Weren't you constantly complaining about how everything bent in favor of the aliens and how rag was screwing up or forgetting multiple actions most turns? How Hai never actually affected the combat at all?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: February 07, 2014, 11:41:37 am »

Anyways... I'm using the old system since it works well.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: February 07, 2014, 11:44:37 am »

I intend to do much the same.
Sig

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: February 07, 2014, 11:45:23 am »

I intend to do much the same.

And what exactly was the old system?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: February 07, 2014, 11:46:32 am »

excuse me, but all of Nuriels actions were considered. The round with the curse-sigil, would have made zero difference, the damage output of the flames is simply not high enough.

The only ones who got really screwed over were Hainuwele and Neferis, and I guess Marie with her Spheredoom, possibly Kyle with the glove-punch. All four of those could have made a significant change, but I guess as long as none of the corresponding demand a retcon, it's fine.

the players whose actions were accounted for but simply did nothing to change the course of the combat have less reason to complain.

It's the screwed-over players who may complain, and I am cool with that, so I'll leave it to the other three to judge if retconning the battle to a version where their actions might have worked come into play.

Hands down, Hainuweles debuffs could have changed a thing - but could have been dodged as well
Neferis throwing Dumah off balance could have changed a thing - or the compared strength roll could have failed
Spheredoom and glove punch might have worked - but there is no guarantee that either would have passed the roll to resist the curse sigil.

so even if all these actions are retconned, the outcome might not have changed much

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: February 07, 2014, 11:49:14 am »

excuse me, but all of Nuriels actions were considered. The round with the curse-sigil, would have made zero difference, the damage output of the flames is simply not high enough.
Yes. Oddly enough, "No one's actions except Shys'm Caes and Yuri really made a difference" is one of my chief concerns.

the players whose actions were accounted for but simply did nothing to change the course of the combat have less reason to complain.
Not much less.

It's the screwed-over players who may complain, and I am cool with that, so I'll leave it to the other three to judge if retconning the battle to a version where their actions might have worked come into play.
You don't get it. The "Players had their actions missed" thing is actually one of the lesser concerns.
The big one?
Our actions meant nothing. The battle would have had the exact same outcome as it would have had if everyone was playing Solitaire or Monopoly during the battle.
Sig

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: February 07, 2014, 11:51:39 am »

The big one?
Our actions meant nothing. The battle would have had the exact same outcome as it would have had if everyone was playing Solitaire or Monopoly during the battle.

Even worse: The battle meant nothing. It was completely pointless and had almost no effect on the rest of plot.
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 1030