Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256160 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: The Changing of Hands
« Reply #720 on: January 15, 2014, 12:12:42 pm »

"Well, yes, a T-rex is perhaps a bit too much."

Read magazine intently

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 15, 2014, 01:47:01 pm »

The first to grab one of the magazines is Samuel. He feels a strange urge to read it for some reason - it feels like the intuitive way to power and glory lies within. Immediately after him Clair and John grab their copies as well, beginning to read them in much the same way as Samuel appears to be doing.

All three of them immediately find that the pages appear to be filled with the graphical equivalent of white noise, everything mashed together, producing a great mass of incomprehensible multicolored gibberish on every page.

[Samuel's mind roll: 4-1]

Samuel, as the first to begin reading, is also the first to notice something. The drawings appear to be... reaching out to him. Before he can act on this new piece of knowledge, the magazine goes right for his eyes, filling his field of vision with nothing but the abhorrent disharmony of the magazine's pages. He tries to shake himself free of the vision, but it seems rooted in his brain, drilling through his skull and violating his internal cranial structure in a way he finds highly displeasing. He twists and turns, trying to shield his head with his hands, but the feeling of something going through his think-parts subsides only gradually, seemingly not caring at all about what Samuel does to try and prevent it. And when it leaves altogether, Samuel finds that it has left something behind - a kernel of strange knowledge. As Samuel appraises the situation - he seems to now once again be in Mr. Lee's store - a certain word combination burns in his mind, begging acceptance. Along with that, it seems like some sort of shrill voice is pestering him.

Spoiler: Samuel's New Spell (click to show/hide)

[Clair's mind roll: 2+1]

Clair, despite ostensibly looking at pretty much the same material, seems to have an altogether different experience - instead of the drawings leaping out at her, she seems to be pulled in, becoming very small all of a sudden in a vast, alien universe. Bits of thought float past her idly as she flies suspended, unmoving, reflexively having curled up in a ball, shielding the back of her head with her hands. After nothing happens for a few seconds, she opens her eyes.

Huh. Seems pretty colorful here, actually. Chaotic and infinite, yes, but also quite interesting. Relaxing a moment, Clair begins to freely float, an invisible force carrying her through this new world. She spends a moment taking in the sights - they are relaxing in the same way white noise can be relaxing, flushing out all conventional visual and mental information. Having spent a good minute like this, Clair suddenly notices a small light slowly flying toward her. Or, to be exact, flying in a straight line she just happens to intersect. As it is about to pass her by, she feels like she should grab it, and does so. The light dissolves, nesting in her mind, taking a certain shape that Clair, with some interpretation, can begin to understand within moments as she finds herself back in the pawn shop.

Spoiler: Clair's New Spell (click to show/hide)

[John's mind roll: 1-->1]

John needs only to glance at a page, and it is clear what he's seeing! Adventure! Adventure in his eyes, adventure in his mind, adventure leaking out of his ear holes. More adventure than he can possibly imagine. But first he needs to find out what's actually in this manuscript. It appears to start off with some elementary 3D eye-crossing images, so John just plays along and crosses his eyes, looking at the image dead-on to see what's up.

What he sees... oh god... it's everything! All mysteries, all knowledge, everything he's wanted to know in his life, right there before him! His jaw drops. It's so simple. All that is true and right and wonderful can be found out and achieved with as much difficulty as one has snapping their fingers, it's just a few secrets he needs to know! He could utilize this information and achieve everything he's ever hoped for! Or even better, he could write a self-help book from all this and make zillions! Or both! While John ponders which one to do first, he hears a voice.

~What's goi-oh, shit. Shit on a goddamn stick. You're... not supposed to see this.~

There is a flash of light, and everything goes completely dark. The people in the pawn shop notice John suddenly collapse. Or coil up, rather. His fall doesn't really take him anywhere, he just collapses elegantly, almost soundlessly and certainly harmlessly on the spot, resembling a coiled-up spring, causing not even the tiniest bit of a mess. When he wakes up seconds later, he wonders what just happened. Why is he in a pawn shop? And why is this voice talking inside his head?

Spoiler: John's New Spells (click to show/hide)

As the three newly bemagicked individuals react variously to their magazines, Mr. Lee nods his head appreciatively.

"Looks like it's taking nicely! Welcome to the world of magic, eh?"

"I still don't understand why you won't give any of us the books."

"You kidding? Mrs. Lee'd kill me!"

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 15, 2014, 03:19:25 pm »

John stands up, slowly looking around, somewhat bewildered. He looks at the large man behind the counter. "Oh hello, again, I think. Does this always happen when you read this...thing?"

Spoiler: John T. Deschutter (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 15, 2014, 03:30:24 pm »

"Oh hello, again, I think. Does this always happen when you read this...thing?"

"I see lots of pretty colors when I do it, but I've never fallen over or anything. You feel okay?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 15, 2014, 03:33:14 pm »

"Oh hello, again, I think. Does this always happen when you read this...thing?"

"I see lots of pretty colors when I do it, but I've never fallen over or anything. You feel okay?"
"Yeah, I feel well enough. The voice is telling me I had some sort of memory lapse...the voice is normal...right?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 15, 2014, 03:45:06 pm »

"Yeah, I feel well enough. The voice is telling me I had some sort of memory lapse...the voice is normal...right?"

"Strangely enough, yes! We've all got our very own voice. I think it's the book, myself, but Mrs. Lee disagrees. She says it's not the book at all."

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 15, 2014, 06:32:24 pm »

Clair shakes her head before looking around the shop. "Interesting." she spies a vase and after looking at the price tag to make sure she won't be in debt till the end of time if she break it, Casts to summon it to her hands

Spoiler: Clair Malk (click to show/hide)
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 15, 2014, 06:41:55 pm »

"Strangely enough, yes! We've all got our very own voice. I think it's the book, myself, but Mrs. Lee disagrees. She says it's not the book at all."
"I see, that's reassuring. I'm going to try one of these out, if that's okay with you."

If no objection fromm Mr. Lee, get to a spot where I can't break anything, cast conjure dusty rouge

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 16, 2014, 12:48:03 am »

((Will add stats and spells later.))
Cast Rain of Sweaty Ducks.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 16, 2014, 04:34:19 am »

In Mr. Lee's pawn shop, the new wizards have gone from spell research to spell practice in no time flat. While John talks to Mr. Lee, Clair casts her very first spell, looking at a rather decent five-dollar plastic vase lying on a nearby shelf.

[Clair's affinity roll: 5+1]

With an effort of will, the vase poofs out of existence, appearing in her hands immediately and without fail. The delay between disappearance and reappearance has got to be in the milliseconds, if not less. Cool.

"And there it is! Magic! Isn't it the most wonderful thing?" he says. Then he turns to John, who seems to be asking permission to do something similar.

"I'm going to try one of these out, if that's okay with you."

"It's not some kind of vortex or portal, is it? Those can get a bit too messy."

John shakes his head.

"Well, go ahead!"

[John's affinity roll: 3]

As John focuses upon the spell, something materializes in his hand - a small quantity of pinkish-red powder, it seems. It looks pretty harmless, but it smells like an attic. And though John has been rather pale lately, he's not sure cosmetics are what he needs right now. Particularly not the kind that's, like, 50% common dust. He could roll inside an abandoned basement instead, for instance.

Samuel, spying that magic is afoot already and not one to be left in the dust by others, casts the most dramatic spell of all!

[Samuel's affinity roll: 3]

Nothing seems to happen, though. At least, not inside the store.

As the magic happens, Mr. Lee is evidently very pleased.

"You kids make me proud. Look at the way you're doing already. Hang on a second, I've got something else prepared as well - be right back."

He quickly steps through a nearby open door, and can then be heard ascending a set of stairs and opening a door. The people in the pawn shop can hear both his voice and that of a woman in the next minute or so, and then Mr. Lee returns, a plate in one hand and a bowl in the other. The plate is filled with tortilla chips while the bowl contains something more unusual - some sort of thick substance that looks very much like what you see when you look at a puddle of water that's got a film of oil over it on a sunny day. It doesn't look entirely natural.

"Now, kids, I'd like you to try this dip - it's Mrs. Lee's specialty. I know it looks strange, but trust me - this is the best dip you'll ever have, I guarantee it. Try it, then look at the book again. I was going to bring it out later, but I think now's an even better time."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: January 16, 2014, 04:53:07 am »

Halesey is determined to communicate with the newcomer, and perhaps deflect a violent and tubery conflict.

”Let me handle this,” he says, turning to Larry. ”We don’t need to… take special action just yet. I speak both street and young person speak, although they are sometimes tinged with a little of my native dialect.”

He turns to the person that he has no way of knowing is called Willy.

”Yo. Sup, bludstar? Yam aright?” he says, grimacing wildly. ”What youm doim round ere our kid? Dangerous in there, ay it? Know’m sayin? It’d be right bostin if yow just fecked off back ome to yer mom and pops. Wim just concerned for yer safety, ay it? I bay gooin' ter tell yow agen, aiight?”

He turns to Larry. ”I have asked the young man if he is having a pleasant day, and asked him his business. I have then proceeded to inform him that this location is not safe, and that a preferable course of action for him would be to return home to his parents. I have then added that I say this out of concern for his wellbeing, but that I shouldn’t like to have to repeat myself.”

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 16, 2014, 05:36:15 am »

Clair look at the dip "Well, nothing venture..."

Take a chip and dip
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 16, 2014, 05:48:17 am »

Eat.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 16, 2014, 07:43:45 am »

deposit rouge in trashcan. then eat a tortilla chip with a generous helping of dip and read the magazine again
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:45:51 am by Pancaek »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 16, 2014, 11:33:31 am »

Clair gazes at the dip, and it does not gaze back at her. This is a good sign. And Mr. Lee seems like he'd not lead her or the two others astray, so it seems to be all good.

"Well, nothing venture..." she begins, taking a single chip and dipping it. John following suit after disposing of his rouge and Samuel ambiguously reaching for something to eat, deciding midway that perhaps now is not the best time to be inventive and taking a chip and dipping it as well. After Samuel eats his and doesn't explode or anything, and Samuel also appears unharmed, Clair eats the chip in her hand. The chips are pretty good, and one might venture a guess that they are homemade. The dip... well...

First off, it kind of tastes like sour cream, except with a very distinct additional taste of everything. Each wizard-in-training's eyes widen as they begin to experience the dip, definitely the most interesting olfactory sensation they've had this month, maybe even the whole year.

Secondly, as the sensation fills their minds, the three notice that the room appears to be different somehow. None of them can really put a finger on it, though Samuel thinks he can hear a cockroach on the floor here somewhere.

John's first reaction to the developing situation is, naturally, to open up his magazine and take a look.

[John's mind roll: 2+1]

Whoa. The magazine's magic eye pictures are, like, moving now. Really moving. John places a finger on one of the images, poking it to make it stop, but he just finds himself drawn into the realm of the magazine, which is a pretty trippy sensation, he must say. There's this huge white void before him, and there are these singing spheres flying around. John, knowing of the secrets that singing spheres can hold, or at least familiar with the idea that they really should hold some, grabs hold of one, cuddling it and holding it up to his head. The songs of the sphere fill his head, coalescing into an idea that John can't seem to forget as he returns to the normal world.

Spoiler: John's New Spell (click to show/hide)

As John snaps out of his bout of spell research, Mr. Lee looks at him.

"John over there has got the right idea - look into your magazines again. Interesting things ought to happen! Feel free to have some more, too, just don't overdo it!"

It's strange, Samuel thinks. Mr. Lee looks shorter now somehow. And it also seems like he's hiding something under his hat.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 244