Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256202 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: 101 Uses For Potatoes and Vortexes Thereof
« Reply #1410 on: April 26, 2014, 09:29:51 pm »

Crass and untoward thoughts cross Larry's mind.  "Why don't you get her a carbomb instead?  That's good stuff, there."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 27, 2014, 02:27:53 pm »

Dave, having no better way to deal with denture vortexes than magic, tries to let off a storm of distracting underwear!

[Dave's affinity roll: 4-1]

A single pair of luminous pink boxers shoots out of his fingertips and flies about as he is pulled toward the depths of denture hell!

[Dave's body roll: 1-->4-1-1]

And before he can even come up with a clever plan, Dave finds himself sucked into a different dimension, in a twist he certainly did not expect he would encounter when he woke up this morning. Pinkish extraneous bits and pointy white teeth press up against his flesh as he tumbles through the mass of dentures, the tiny scratches the dentures produce immediately beginning to hurt terribly from salt getting rubbed into them! Dave is in quite a lot of pain within moments, and the vortex he seems to have fallen through continues to shrink as the flow of dentures takes him further and further away. And before he can even begin swimming toward it in earnest, the vortex simply closes up as abruptly as it opened, leaving Dave quite stranded!

That... probably could have gone better, he has to admit. Interestingly, even though the vortex is gone, he is still very much adrift, and the dentures continue to flow, and in a roughly similar direction as before, no less. Aside from the clacking of dentures, Dave is pretty sure he can also hear what sounds like roaring off in the distance.

Halesey obliges the young lady's drink demands quite gladly.

"The beer's pretty good. You want this one? I'll get another pair. My friend's called Larry, I can introduce you if you like. My name's Ben, I'm a mage. Say, why do you think your heart's gonna stop? What you been up to? Someone bothering you?" he says, motioning to the bartender to bring two more Goodnesses over, which he does quickly and effectively.

"Why don't you get her a carbomb instead? That's good stuff, there," Larry suggests, but somewhat shrinks back when the bartender, evidently sympathetic to the plight of the Irish, gives him quite the major stinkeye.

The girl begins to chug the beer as soon as it arrives, stopping only after swallowing about half a pint, at which point she turns to Halesey.

"This beer is pretty good. And don't worry about me, I'll be totally fine. I just get these, like, doomy feelings once in a while. I'm Sherry, by the way," she says, then resumes drinking until the rest of the pint is finished. "You know, this stuff is really dang good! I think I need to get Frankie over here. Mind calling her over? She should be by the bathrooms - tall, dark, slim, can't miss her. Maybe your friend can buy me a drink in the meantime or something, yeah?" she suggests, smiling over at Larry.

Eta is on the verge of pouring her heart out to Lois right here in the tea and cake shop, but thinks better of it as she becomes aware of the waitress' suspicious look. After bringing up the matter of leaving with Lois (who passively approves as usual), she proceeds to vacate the premises before the waitress can even think of bringing up the matter of payment for the partially-eaten muffin platter and two cups of tea. Taking Lois over to a secluded corner behind one of the more popular non-brand-name fast food restaurants in town, Chutney's, she decides to tell her everything of reasonable relevance to this entire thing.

"Sorry, I just thought it would be better if we talked in a more private place. I am unsure of whether or not talking about these things in public is safe. I just learned about magic today," she begins her tale. "You see, I just got this matchbox about an hour ago from a man calling himself Mr. Pilton. He told me that if I lit a match, it would teach me things about magic. I didn't believe him at first, I mean, who would? But the first match I lit gave me some words, a kind of spell, I think. 'Lawyer Wave' it was called. I didn't knew exactly what it would do, frankly I thought it might produce a watery wave with a knowledge of law, but instead it produced... well, it produced you. I- I would have never imagined creating life would be so easy. And now that I did it again, I got these words: 'Render Canned Goods Undetectable'. And I heard a voice talk to me. But the strangest thing is, that both times I lit a match, I felt like I was transported somewhere else. A dark room. I could see nothing. And I had to feel my way around the room and do something. And the second time felt much harder than the first time. And, well.. I'm afraid. I know that I'm not really in that room, but what will happen if- if I can''t find my way around the room? If I get stuck somewhere? If I get hurt? What will happen to me then?" she tells her lawyer friend in about three total breaths, then pausing to get some oxygen and fresher thoughts. "I was hoping that lighting two matches at the same time might make navigating it a bit easier, but it turns out it doesn't work like that after all." Calming down a little, she smiles. "I guess I'm a lot like you in that regard: It's all new to me and there are so many things I don't know."

Having listened to all that, Lois nods slowly.

"Looking on the bright side, it does let you find out a lot of new things, doesn't it?" she says with an earnest expression. "And that's probably a good thing, right?"

Eta files this under her things to consider in the near future. She's pleased to find that Lois seems to be a very good listener.

"Sorry if I talked your ears off, I just felt like talking to someone."

"It's interesting to hear you talk about all this stuff, though. Seems fairly interesting."

Something then occurs to Eta.

"Wait, you said it made you feel something? What did it make you feel?"

"What are you talking about?" Lois answers with a question.

"The matches."

"Oh, that. Well, one of the matches had a grayish flame, and it looked unusual to me somehow. So I stared at it for a bit when I realized that everything else had become gray as well. I was at some sort of desk, I think. It was also gray. And there was a pen, a piece of paper and a whole lot of voices coming from every direction, shouting things at me all the time. It seemed like they were shouting important things, so I decided to write some of them down. Lots of unfamiliar words and phrases, but I think I did get some intelligible bits out of it. And then, just as I started to really filter out all the understandable things, I was back here. And I realized that I knew five new things," Lois explains in an even, unruffled way. She raises her right palm to the air, and, much to Eta's surprise, what looks like a stream of interlocking coffee mugs starts to come out of it, winding through the air and making several twists and turns as it encircles the two women a few times before the end of it comes back to her other palm, which she has similarly raised. "This seems to be one of them," she says, her eyes wandering along the length of the chain. "The experience and results are a bit different from what you described. Do you think that's normal?"

John is pleased to have solidly confirmed the existence of a leyline in the direction indicated.

"It healed you, that's great! I wonder what else this thing is capable of..." he says, turning toward the leyline and trying to... touch it, he supposes? Mentally, at least. That sounds appropriate, anyway. And as he faces the sky, he feels it - the sky is open before him, and the eye of magic itself stares into his soul for but a moment before its gaze begins to burn. Like a ray of hard starlight, the magic feels like it's punching a hole through John's body - and for all he knows, that may very well be the case! Indeed, he does feel a slight sense of loss as the magic flows through him, as if some part of him has been blasted away in the sheer radiance of the infinite power before him. All pain stops, and John feels rather content as the wave of power slowly subsides, magic filling cracks in his being that John hardly even suspected he had. He feels about five years younger all of a sudden, yet five years richer in wisdom. He has seen the light.

~Great work, John! I knew you had it in you, despite some initial difficulties. You're gonna go far yet! But for now, bask in the silence of victory, and make sure to put that new magic to appropriate use, okay? And remember - keep the questions minimal!~

John has obtained a new stat point! And the ability to set a particular effect for his spell research! Let the magic grow within you like a benign fungal infection!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: April 27, 2014, 02:53:35 pm »

I Call Upon Prophetic Vinegar and drink some hoping it will give me vision of what to do. If it doesn't produce a vision I strike another match and look again into the flames of creation.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: April 27, 2014, 08:33:22 pm »

Larry is about to snark off and tell her to get her own damn beer (or ask her new buddy Halesey to do it) when his lower brain finally gets his attention.  Another lady?  Hello!

"Yeah, sure; and what about one for your friend, too?"

Buy a couple of beers.  Be sure to give one directly to this friend of hers.  Try to look impressive.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 28, 2014, 04:02:53 am »

"Doomy feelings?! Man, I get them sometimes too, like, as if I'm gonna be sucked into a terrible kind of hole, or something, you know? Hey, why don't you meet my friend and, I'm happy to say, colleague Larry, and I'll go see what your friend Frankie says."

Go offer Frankie a beer too!

"Hi, Frankie? Your friend Sherry there says I should buy you a drink - you want a beer? Or how about a Toffee Ladybird? I hear they do good ones here. You want to come over and join Sherry and Larry? We don't have to, you know."

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 28, 2014, 06:18:36 am »

After doing some entirely pointless research will you please tell me: Is there a non-random happenstance way of getting out of these hell dimensions?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1416 on: April 28, 2014, 07:12:41 am »

"Wow, that's..." Eta was flabbergasted. She stared at the mugs and then at Lois and then at the mugs again.  I guess it's only natural that the matches work for everyone and do not discriminate people depending on their origins.
"That's great! You're very good at this." And better than me. And very lucky too. she thought with a hint of jealousy, but quickly suppressed that emotion. "Anyway, I am sorry, but I don't really know if that's normal. Perhaps it's because our minds are different? So we understand and experience things differently? Or maybe the matches are a means of communication and they link each person to different yet similar things? I can only guess. But the man who gave me the matches told me to contact him when I have more knowledge. Perhaps he can tell us more. But I'll need more spells before I can meet him again."

Give Lois some matches.

"Here. I think you'll be needing these. Though I don't have an extra magic matchbox to give you and I don't know where to find one. Sorry."

"So, what else did you get? "

Look at another match! I can't let Lois outspell me!
C'mon funny voice, I need some good spells to impress my friend.

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:09:20 pm by Parisbre56 »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 28, 2014, 07:21:48 am »

After doing some entirely pointless research will you please tell me: Is there a non-random happenstance way of getting out of these hell dimensions?

I'm fairly sure* you need to cast a vortex in the vortex, and then leap into it.

*not at all sure, but adding more vortexes never harmed anyone, did it

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: April 28, 2014, 07:37:32 am »

I'm fairly sure* you need to cast a vortex in the vortex, and then leap into it.

*not at all sure, but adding more vortexes never harmed anyone, did it
I think that only works if the vortex is of the same kind which (unless you trapped yourself) would be crazy random happenstance.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 28, 2014, 07:44:07 am »

I think that if you have a vortex of a different kind, you can cast that one, hop into it to change dimensions, then cast another to get out of that vortex into the real world.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: April 28, 2014, 09:07:08 am »

((level up aqcuired! yay. added one point to mind. Also, are leylines the only way to gain skillpoints? And, so, if I remember correctly: the focus thing is using one word of a spell you already have for your next magazine use, right? ))

"This, is some good shit. How are you feeling, Trey?"

Read magazine once more, don't focus on any particular effect yet.
Spoiler: John (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:00:30 pm by Pancaek »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: April 28, 2014, 02:16:34 pm »

((As long as it's an effect; elements are not allowed at this point.  So you could search for "Blessing of..." or "Vortex of..."  or "Bolt of..." but not "potato" or "stripper."))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: April 28, 2014, 02:59:42 pm »

((Allrighty then, thanks.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1423 on: April 28, 2014, 03:56:24 pm »

((As long as it's an effect; elements are not allowed at this point.  So you could search for "Blessing of..." or "Vortex of..."  or "Bolt of..." but not "potato" or "stripper."))
((So spells are in the form of: <optional adjective (alkaline, telescopic, prophetic, musical, etc.)> <element/object (tea, trouser, dinosaur, etc.)> <optional variation (golem, etc.)> <optional effect (Rain, Beam, Vortex, etc.)> ?))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: April 29, 2014, 11:47:26 am »

Dave, still feeling inexplicably confident in his ability to cast spells, tries to call upon some prophetic vinegar to light his way to the truth.

[Dave's affinity roll: 1-->1-1]

Outstretching his arms and calling upon powers beyond his current understanding, Dave wishes for vinegar to appear unto him, and to bless him with a vision of a solution for all of his problems, of which there are assuredly many. Closing his eyes to prevent anything at all from distracting him, he invokes the sacred vinegar! And the vinegar responds, screaming across the dimensions and spurting out of the ether through a portal somewhat inconveniently placed inside Dave's skull. This is most unfortunate, since Dave is nothing if not an appreciator of unpolluted cerebrospinal fluid. But moments later, that doesn't seem to be a problem, as said fluid seems to be handily drained by yet another portal, making sure that his brain is cushioned by nothing other than vinegar.

[Dave's body roll: 6-->6-1]

Boy, Dave sure is glad that he doesn't have any sensory nerves in that area. Or that they at least seem to not be functioning presently. The burning visions in his mind of past, present and future, of places familiar and never seen, of creatures the mind can only begin to comprehend and of other things even he can't begin to explain, all of those are quite problematic enough.

[Dave's mind roll: 6-->2+2]

Lucky this happened to him of all people, really. Lesser minds would probably snap without as much as a second passing. Dave, though, seems to be filtering out a lot of the images. At least right now, while he's focused on it. He wonders what would happen if he were otherwise occupied. Probably nothing too good. Definitely nothing too good. But then again, he's pretty sure his projected lifespan has decreased at least twenty times from this bit of magic gone awry, so maybe the visions are the least of his worries. He's pretty sure he needed cerebrospinal fluid for long-term brain function, anyway. He might be undergoing a bit of cerebral degeneration right now. He's not sure.

Halesey leaves Sherry to her own devices - or at least Larry - and goes out looking for Frankie near the bathrooms.

Larry, meanwhile, isn't so sure he wants to pay for the girl's beer (she seems like a risky investment, is all), but then realizes that another lady might be coming along soon, and that he had better be a gentleman if he wants to explore the deeper meanings of baseball metaphors sometime in the near future.

"Yeah, sure; and what about one for your friend, too?" he says, trying to look both rico and suave at the same time even as he orders two more beers.

"Yeah, I guess that sounds good," she says, moving to a stool closer to Larry and grabbing the pint when it arrives. "So, you're Larry, huh? You were Larry, right?" she says, sipping the beer and leaning in toward him a little. "What do you, like, do, Larry?" she asks, still smiling at him.

While they speak, Halesey has found his way to the bathrooms. He notices a girl standing there and approaches her.

"Hi, Frankie? Your friend Sherry there says I should buy you a drink - you want a beer? Or how about a Toffee Ladybird? I hear they do good ones here. You want to come over and join Sherry and Larry? We don't have to, you know."

The girl, medium-height, blonde and somewhat pretty, if dressed fairly modestly, looks at him confusedly.

"I think you've got the wrong person, man," she says after a moment. "I don't know any of those people. Who's Sherry?"

Since she was the only one at the bathrooms, Halesey had approached her with an absolute certainty that this was who he was looking for.

Eta is quite impressed that somebody who has existed for a grand total of less than an hour can manage a feat of magic such as that. She also begins to feel somewhat competitive.

"Wow, that's... that's great! You're very good at this. Anyway, I am sorry, but I don't really know if that's normal. Perhaps it's because our minds are different? So we understand and experience things differently? Or maybe the matches are a means of communication and they link each person to different yet similar things? I can only guess. But the man who gave me the matches told me to contact him when I have more knowledge. Perhaps he can tell us more. But I'll need more spells before I can meet him again," she says, suppressing petty jealousy with a bit of effort. "Here. I think you'll be needing these. Though I don't have an extra magic matchbox to give you and I don't know where to find one. Sorry," she says, handing Lois some of her matches.

"I guess I'll just have to use your matchbox, then," her friend says, examining the match.

"So, what else did you get?"

"What else? 'Perfect knight', 'commune with wig', 'envenom roundworm', 'cheer up paracetamol'. As I've said, I really have no idea what those might be. I suppose I could try them, though."

Eta shrugs and strikes a match, and allows Lois to do the same (it takes her quite a few tries to get it right). Staring into their respective flames, they allow the magic to seep into their brains once more.

[Eta's mind roll: 2+1]

This time when the darkness descends, it's a bit different than before. For one, she feels quite weightless. She is quite weightless, as a matter of fact. Gravity does not seem to be present in the area at all. This... complicates things somewhat. Eta whirls around in the air a few moments, trying to get a feel for the surroundings - she actually requires her umbrella to properly reach anything and give herself a push in the opposite direction. She has to say, the spinning in the air does not help orientation at all - she bounces off several things, slightly panicking each time and giving herself more of a spin and a push each time, and in five minutes she is even more lost than she was in the beginning. Every time she starts to work out where she might need to be or go, a piece of furniture seems to be in the way to disorient her again. This continues for what feels like forever until she accidentally bumps into a flat surface and, by sheer luck, seemingly pushing a large button. And the effect of the button press is immediately obvious - Eta feels an intense taste of metal in her mouth for a moment, and then finds herself back with Lois, encircled by mugs, feeling very disoriented as a new thought swims inside her head.

Spoiler: Eta's New Spell (click to show/hide)

Lois, for her part, looks to have fared much better, judging from the faint look of satisfaction on her face while she examines the burnt remains of her match. As she notices Eta snap out of it, she smiles at her.

John finds this leyline most delectable and enjoyable, and looks to Trey in order to check if he shares his enthusiasm.

"This, is some good shit. How are you feeling, Trey?" he asks, but Trey appears to be looking in the direction of the leyline and shaking. Must be still accessing it. Ah well. Now that he's got the time and the mental capacity, he should probably research spells. Luz seems to have had the same idea a little while ago, too. So he sits down and checks the mag.

[John's mind roll: 1-->2+1]

Moving into his mindscape and getting to work catching some spheres, John has an idea while he examines the tiny little things. They seem pretty shiny, and they smell kind of like a new car. And they have this soft, velvety texture. John pauses for a moment to regard them fondly, when he is struck by an impulse. The spheres look... tasty, he thinks. He kind of got a little hungry thinking about the leyline. He recalls he hasn't really eaten in a while. Surely it couldn't hurt to have one of these, right? It's magic, after all. He's got it inside of him already. What harm could it do?

With this in mind, he pops one of the spheres in his mouth, and finds that it tastes like what would happen if MSG and condensed milk decided to have a lovechild together, then bathe it in honey and dopamine every day of its strange childhood. Despite the slight hydrocarbon aftertaste, John can't resist another sphere, and then another. And then one more for that nice feeling of magical warmth in his stomach. Minutes pass as he floats through the void, having found himself in gastronomically astronomical heaven. The feeling of warmth and comfort increases until John becomes aware of the fact that his skin seems to be melting off. He suspects this is not good.

~Hey, what are you doing here, man, you were supposed to be done by-aw, jeez! Why does this keep happening! Dammit, John, now I have to clean you up,~ his benefactor's voice suddenly arrives in his mind, and John disappears in a flash of light, finding himself back on the roof. He feels like something's amiss in his head all of a sudden.

Spoiler: John's New Spells (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 244