Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256200 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: 101 Uses For Potatoes and Vortexes Thereof
« Reply #1440 on: April 30, 2014, 08:05:19 am »

((Hmm, I'm somewhat confused. Did the whole mind-wipey-thingy wipe my known spells and are these four my new ones, or was it just some fluff? Also, do I get to take only one, or multiple?))

It's a 1, so you have to take them all whether you want them or not.

Larry quickly flashes a 8) at Halesey.

"So uh, yeah, sounds like you're really sure about that.  Doing pretty well for myself, really, already have made friends on other planes and tapped into deep power shit, ya dig?"

"Yeah, I guess that's cool. Hang on, I'll call Frankie right quick," Sherry says, quickly dialing up a number. Nobody seems to pick up, and she soon puts her phone away. "Huh. That's weird. Oh well, so, Larry, where're you from?" she asks, taking a careful drink.

"So... you look happy." she added teasingly. "Whad'ya get?"

"I got 'cheer up lawyer'! I wonder if it works."

Do I know of any large empty nearby area? One that perhaps wouldn't be overly hurt by a Highly Explosive Thylacine Pillar appearing in it?

Does the middle of the street count? There seems to be no traffic there, at least.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1441 on: April 30, 2014, 09:33:55 am »

"So... you look happy." she added teasingly. "Whad'ya get?"

"I got 'cheer up lawyer'! I wonder if it works."
"Oh, I don't know, judging by that smile, I think it might have already worked." joked Eta.
"So, what are you waiting for? Only one way to find out what it does. Try it out!"

Do I know of any large empty nearby area? One that perhaps wouldn't be overly hurt by a Highly Explosive Thylacine Pillar appearing in it?

Does the middle of the street count? There seems to be no traffic there, at least.
I was thinking something along the lines of Empty Parking Lot or Construction Site or Park, but if none of those are available (or if Eta doesn't know of any such nearby place), then I can try summoning a Highly Explosive Thylacine Pillar in the middle of the street.
Just make sure to tell Lois to stand back, in case things go wrong.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: April 30, 2014, 09:43:35 am »

Larry shrugged.  "I've always lived in the city.  Just waiting for my big break, you know?  Looks like I've found it here with this mage business.  How about you?"

He sips on his beer some more.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: April 30, 2014, 01:46:04 pm »

Larry shrugged.  "I've always lived in the city.  Just waiting for my big break, you know?  Looks like I've found it here with this mage business.  How about you?"

He sips on his beer some more.

"Oh, I was, like, born here, you know? Never left, actually. Kinda funny, you know. I don't even like it here that much."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: April 30, 2014, 02:26:14 pm »

Larry nods.  "Yeah, what with the dinosaurs and such, it's an odd place!  Say, want another beer?  Or a cocktail?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: April 30, 2014, 02:54:38 pm »

"Well, that was, odd. I feel like I'm missing a few bits of what happened though. How are you guys doing?"

converse with the kids. Also ask the great voice of the magazine if he has any tips on how to use the leyline and how to go on from here

Spoiler: john (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: April 30, 2014, 03:59:50 pm »

Larry nods.  "Yeah, what with the dinosaurs and such, it's an odd place!  Say, want another beer?  Or a cocktail?"

"Nah, nah. I think I've had enough. Should probably, like, head back to the hotel. Wanna come with?" Sherry asks, finishing her current pint and giving you a gentle nudge.

"Well, that was, odd. I feel like I'm missing a few bits of what happened though. How are you guys doing?"

"Fucking magical, that's how I feel," Trey says, sprawled along the roof next to Luz.

"And I've got some awesome new spells lined up," Luz adds.

Also ask the great voice of the magazine if he has any tips on how to use the leyline and how to go on from here

~I could explain, but your brain would explode. Again. Leave that shit alone for now, you hear?~

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: April 30, 2014, 04:12:21 pm »

"I hope you've been having more succes than me with these spells, I got some of...eh...dubious utility.

Anyway, how do we go from here?"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: April 30, 2014, 04:58:02 pm »

((Did I get anything actually useful from the visions.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: May 01, 2014, 07:32:22 am »

"I hope you've been having more succes than me with these spells, I got some of...eh...dubious utility.

"Well, first order of business would be to get the fuck out of here, I think. Best to do that in some unusual way, since we have style and whatnot. I think I have just the spell for that, too."

((Did I get anything actually useful from the visions.))

They seem a little too random and pertinent to distant apocalyptic events in the future to be particularly helpful to you, or anything other than immensely distracting and slightly physically painful. Hence the need to block them out.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: May 01, 2014, 08:39:52 am »

"Well, first order of business would be to get the fuck out of here, I think. Best to do that in some unusual way, since we have style and whatnot. I think I have just the spell for that, too."

"allrighty then. Whenever you're ready."

Leave with Trey's new spell

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: May 01, 2014, 09:25:10 am »

Larry grinned in a smug manner.  "Sounds like a plan.  Halesey, catch you later!"  He gave Halesey a big exaggerated wink.

Leave with the obviously-not-a-trap woman.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: May 01, 2014, 12:06:42 pm »

Halesey, lacking any better ideas, decides to just settle down with his drink. Surely an idea will come to him, he thinks as he gets another pint of Goodness and drinks it. He almost misses the moment when his buddy Larry apparently gets somewhere with Sherry.

"Halesey, catch you later!" he says, heading off with his new acquaintance and leaving Halesey all alone and not in the best of material states. A few minutes pass as he considers what he could possibly do now that he has all this time and a not too considerable amount of money, and he feels rather tipsy. And also he feels a very distinctive rumble in his ears, though he disregards it at first, guessing it's probably just his blood pressure or whatever. But then it suddenly increases its volume, sounding like rolling thunder from deep beneath the earth, and drawing closer. Halesey begins to sweat as the sound draws closer, and his hands begin to tremble - he's not entirely sure why exactly, to be frank. Just a gut feeling of sorts. He looks around nervously, but sees nothing of real note. If the sound is indeed real, these people seem quite insistent on pretending it does not exist.

As seconds pass, the sound gets closer and closer, and Halesey starts to recognize it for what it is - a voice on the air. A voice from very far away, its volume rising and falling in waves. As it draws nearer, Halesey begins to perceive what it might be saying - its message feels familiar, and it is slightly comforting to hear it from an external source, disturbing as that source may seem.

"Embrace the potato!"

The voice resonates within Halesey, its tone oddly compelling, yet also without anything human in its address.

"Open the gates of heaven!" the voice shouts again from afar.

Eta, eager to test out this pillar of explosive thylacines and see if it is the genuine article, turns to look around for any buildings that seem like their inhabitants would not mind a sudden thylacine explosion. She's pretty sure that most of the ones around are rather densely inhabited, but one can't say the same of the street - nobody at this hour seems to be willing to brave the mysterious, enchanted avenues of the neighborhood, and this, Eta thinks, provides her with a sufficiently safe place to try out highly dangerous spells like these. After warning Lois to stand back, she tries to invoke the deadly power of extinct marsupials.

[Eta's affinity roll: 5+1]

The tree line of the nearby Benthurst Avenue begins to rumble as the power courses through Eta, and without warning a column of intertwined, mingling thylacines, unseen on this world since the early 20th century, and never before found in a form such as this, bursts from the cold ground, rising to a height of three stories and then some. The thylacines do not make a lot of noise like you would expect from a literal cylindrical conglomerate of wild animals - instead they seem silent, and regard the world around them with a mixture of wonder and apprehension. Looking closely, Eta thinks she can see bright yellow stickers on the sides of some of them - they seem to have the standard "explosive" warning pictogram on them, every last one.

"That's a very interesting power," Lois notes. "Thylacines. Those are some kind of animal, right?" she asks, but then seems to remember her own magical concerns, and snaps her fingers. A second passes before she begins to grin like an idiot, then starts to laugh, bursting into loud guffaws within a few moments.

"Oh, this feels perfect!" she says breathlessly between laughs, and Eta thinks she can see tears in her eyes.

John, having no better idea than Trey's spell, sits back for the next few moments.

"Alrighty then. Whenever you're ready."

"'Kay, let's go!" Trey says and points dramatically off the side of the roof.

[Trey's affinity roll: 5]

Though nothing is visible from here, something is obviously happening - it only takes going a bit closer for John to notice that some sort of reddish pillar has appeared, reaching up to a height slightly greater than the level of the second floor. It seems rather large, and it would certainly not be very difficult to land on it.

"Yeah, we're making stairs!" Trey shouts, then jumps off the roof and onto the pillar - he seems to land softly, so John follows suit and finally Luz lands next to them as well. Trey then points at a position next to them.

[Trey's affinity roll: 5]

A similar pillar, but lower and wider, appears around them, offering another one and a half floors of descent.

"Right, make sure to relax and try to land ass-first," says Trey, jumping down and landing without issue, followed by his two companions doing the same. The surface of the pillar is quite pliable and welcoming, in fact. And from here the last jump to the ground is simple, and nobody sustains any injury during it whatsoever. They proceed to run until well clear of the school, stopping behind the sizable secondhand clothing warehouse. After taking a moment to catch their breath, several high-fives are performed, mostly by Trey's initiative.

"Pretty nice work, baby," Luz says, giving Trey a kiss sloppy enough to make John slightly uncomfortable.

"Right, so, thanks for the help, man," Trey says after he's done with his little lip lock, looking at John. "Probably best if we split up and make a run for it - me and Luz will go clean out the hideout, then we'll look for a new place. Gimme your number, maybe we can cooperate again, eh?"

"Us leyline people have to stick together, you know?" Luz adds.

It's only a bit of a walk from the bar to Sherry's hotel, the relatively-nice-but-nothing-special W7000 - the architecture and the style of the furnishings seems to be going for a Raygun Gothic theme, and it's painfully terrible-looking in places. But Sherry does assure Larry that the place has great room service, and very clean rooms. Plus the receptionist is dressed like a robot, so that's pretty nice as well. As Sherry takes Larry past the person, Larry catches the whiff of broken dreams and crushed dignity emanating from... it? So he must say it's got the most important bits of being a sci-fi robot down.

"I think I was a bit, uh, high when I picked out this place," Sherry notes as they get out of the silver elevator with a computer-generated voice telling them very clearly that they've reached the third floor. Stepping out into the plain, very clean hallway and walking to the Executive Suite, Sherry searches her pockets for the keys.

"Let's see, now where did I... wait, are these even my clothes?" she asks, looking slightly more drunk than she did at the bar - must be the beer kicking in right properly. "Shit, I don't think I have the, uh... let's just knock, huh?" she then says, having found nothing, and knocks on the door, slightly surprised when they just open. "Ah. Did I even lock it? Guess not."

They both proceed inside, only to stop in the middle of the rather decadent-looking living room when they notice somebody inside. It seems to be a man, completely nude, reading a newspaper. But the strangest part about him seems to be the fact that he is very definitely dark green in color, with bright green, puffy-looking stripes running vertically over his rather round body. As they enter, the man looks at them, eyes almond-shaped and dark as black bears working in a coal mine, and smiles with greenish-white teeth.

"Hey, Sherry. Who's your friend?" he asks.

"That's... uh... who are you?" Sherry replies with a question.

"Call me Tom. Didn't I introduce myself to you already?" the green man shoots back slightly peevishly.

"I... think I'd remember. I think."

"Eh, well, doesn't matter. Just don't be too loud, y'hear? Frankie's sleeping in the other room," Tom says, then goes back to reading the newspaper.

"Just to confirm, uh..." Sherry says, looking at Larry. "You can see him too, right?"

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: May 01, 2014, 12:49:00 pm »

"Yeah, maybe it's better if we get out of here. I think the fuzz and the media will be all over this in a bit. " John gets out his phone "Right then, let's exchange numbers and bounce. I've got enough excitement for today."

Exchange numbers with Trey and Luz, say goodbyes and head back home asap. Collapse onto couch and watch the news once I get there

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: May 01, 2014, 12:55:50 pm »

"Er, is that you, God?"

Halesey whispers this, keen not to be seen talking to himself in public, at first.

"You know, I wanted to embrace the potato, even before I knew it led to heaven... I want to, but I have a date this evening with a really nice girl, the kind you'd be pleased to take home to meet your mother, and chances like the love of your life don't come along often, you know? What I guess I'm trying to say, God, is that if I open the gate to heaven, will I be able to get back in time for dinner?"
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 244