Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256214 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: 101 Uses For Potatoes and Vortexes Thereof
« Reply #1515 on: May 10, 2014, 05:30:35 pm »

((You could repel potatoes at your enemies at high speeds for spud weaponization.))
Engulf in Enchanted Angel Ghosts on some dentures.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 10, 2014, 05:44:49 pm »

John gets a nice glass of whatever is left in his fridge, and then calls mister Lee.

"Hello? I hope I'm not calling too early?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1517 on: May 10, 2014, 08:20:24 pm »

"Well, this is it, I guess. Very nice, all things considered." Eta said while inspecting the room. Yes, this could had been much worse. I could had been forced to stay in a shady motel or something similar. The double bed didn't worry her. While Eta preferred sleeping on her own, she wouldn't mind sharing her bed with a friend. And, well, if Lois felt awkward... she could probably sleep on the couch.
"Do you want to go have a shower or something while I unpack?" Eta said,remembering that her friend had rolled for quite a distance when she materialised. Yes, she would probably enjoy a shower. A fresh set of clothes too. "I don't have any extra clothes for you but I suppose you could make due with a bathrobe for now. Or who knows, maybe I'll find a spell that can make clothes!" she joked.
I really need to go shopping with Lois. One more thing to do tomorrow. As she contemplated the nature of Lois' existence, another thought popped in her head.
"You DO know how to take a shower, right?"

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:23:30 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 10, 2014, 09:37:37 pm »

Hmmm.  A monocle?  That's kinda wizardly, Larry mused.  And the mucus didn't really help with anything- maybe the lice would do better.  And what the hell; aspirin might be fun.

Plus, now might be a chance to see just how that new mental ability of his worked...

Drop 1, 2, and 5 for 1, 2, and 3!  Focus up for another dip in the magic book.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 11, 2014, 01:12:12 am »

"Hello? I hope I'm not calling too early?"

Mr. Lee sounds a lot more energetic now than he did in the night, which you suppose makes sense.

"Oh no! It's already past nine. What do you take me for, some layabout? What did you wanna talk about?"

I really need to go shopping with Lois. One more thing to do tomorrow. As she contemplated the nature of Lois' existence, another thought popped in her head.

"Not really. Is it complicated?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1520 on: May 11, 2014, 10:44:06 am »

"Not really. Is it complicated?"
"Oh, not even one of those little definitions of yours?" Eta asked, puzzled. It was hard to predict what that girl did or didn't know. She had assumed working out how to take a shower from its definition would be quite simple. "Well, it's quite easy. Here, let me show you." She said, leading Lois into the bathroom.
"Use this thing here to adjust the water pressure and temperature like this to whatever is comfortable for you-" she said, demonstrating how the shower worked "and then just strip and get in. Use the water to rinse your skin and hair, then use some shower gel-" Eta put some shower gel on her hand and cleaned them a bit to demonstrate "to clean the your skin and hair. Then use some water to remove the shower gel from your body and you're done. Is that OK? Or do you need more info?"
The following assumes Lois got that.
"Great, I'll go unpack then. Call me if you need anything. I'll leave a bathrobe and some towels here for you so that you can dry yourself and have something to wear once you're done."
Leave some bathrobes and towels for Lois as promised and then go unpack. Leave the TV on while unpacking, preferably in some news channel so that I can see hear whether or not anything else of interest happened today. If no news broadcast are available, something quiet will be fine. Maybe some soft music.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:47:03 am by Parisbre56 »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 11, 2014, 02:55:30 pm »

Benjamin, born again through the potato portal, has a demon to meet - but first he totally has a hot date with the pink speaking girl! He leaves the filthy ally and searches for the way back home, because he totally has to get ready.

Swap Empathise with Potatoes for Bolt of Etc. Try to find home.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 03:04:38 pm by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 11, 2014, 03:02:59 pm »

Swap Repel Potatoes for Bolt of etc and Empathise with Potatoes for Wall of Pigeons.

I'm afraid I can't let you do that, man. You didn't get a 6 or a 5+1 or 4+2 or anything else that adds up to 6 or more, so you can only choose one spell. Quick reminder (or possibly the first straight-up explanation):

Natural 6 - another number is rolled, and that's how many spells you get, with ability to pick and choose any.
>5 through bonuses - subtract three from the result and that's how many spells you get, with ability to pick and choose any.
3-5 - subtract two from the result and that's how many spells you get, and you have to pick one and no more.
2 or <2 with penalties - nothing at all.
Natural 1 - another number is rolled, and you subtract the result from 7, and that's how many spells you get, and you have to take all of them.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 11, 2014, 03:05:14 pm »

Ah okay - edited. Can't turn down the chance to empathise with the ur-element.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: May 11, 2014, 03:43:02 pm »

Dave, having little to no other recourse, tries to engulf a nearby set of dentures in angel ghosts. Because why not, right?

[Dave's affinity roll: 4-1]

And lo and behold, a single ghost is once more conjured, encircling a single set of dentures before said set is consumed in the otherwise homogenous mass as Dave is carried slowly on the intradimensional denture streams to an unknown destination. Dave feels slightly pleased when he spots a confused-looking furry humanoid nearby, floating in the same direction and violently struggling with another humanoid, one made of dentures from the looks of it. That's a lot more fascinating than what he's had to feast his eyes on so far.

Larry, placated but not yet satisfied by all these new spells, prepares himself for more magical fun across the eighth dimension, though he's not really sure how much more prepared he can be. After all, he's here, he's got the book, he wants magic and right now he's just trying to wring some extra immediate usefulness out of a set of motions he can repeat pretty much infinitely as far as he knows at the expense of time. Maybe it'd be faster and easier to just try to absorb the shit as it flows through his mind rather than fart around and do breathing exercises before the fact, y'know?

Eta is a tad surprised at Lois' decidedly selective and arbitrary knowledge base. "Oh, not even one of those little definitions of yours?" she asks.

"I don't think so. I know that it's illegal to manufacture and distribute showerheads with a flow rate in excess of 2.5 gallons per minute around here. Though exactly why such a law exists, I am not quite sure," Lois replies. Quite puzzling indeed.

"Well, it's quite easy. Here, let me show you." Eta says, leading Lois over to the bathroom, which seems to have a bath-shower combination complete with a bar of soap and a selection of scented shower gels. "Use this thing here to adjust the water pressure and temperature like this to whatever is comfortable for you," she says, demonstrating the standard operating procedure of a shower, which Lois seems rather intrigued by, "and then just strip and get in. Use the water to rinse your skin and hair, then use some shower gel to clean the your skin and hair. Then use some water to remove the shower gel from your body and you're done. Is that OK? Or do you need more info?"[/color]

"I get the gist of it, thank you," Lois says, grimacing a little and nodding.

"Great, I'll go unpack then. Call me if you need anything. I'll leave a bathrobe and some towels here for you so that you can dry yourself and have something to wear once you're done," Eta says, and immediately makes good on her promise, delivering a robe and a set of towels for Lois' personal use. After being thanked by Lois, she returns to the main room and turns on the TV - national news appear to be on, fortunately enough, though they appear to contain nothing more precise in terms of information than a few basic facts that she knows already, though it is interesting to know that her explosive pillar has apparently made it on national news after it seems to have swallowed up a perfectly innocent bomb squad person (who still has not been recovered from the depths). Still seems to be stoically and vaguely menacingly standing in the street, too, even though a rather large crowd seems to have appeared all around it despite the police's efforts to disperse all onlookers. It's quite surreal seeing it in news footage, actually. The coverage of the event is predictably bland, and Eta finds it extremely difficult to consciously pay attention to the exact words of the newscaster as a result, but the basics of it do indicate that authorities are pretty much stumped by the thing.

Furthermore, they do seem to have a recording of her voice explaining all those demands on the phone as well - Eta's somewhat worried by the poor quality of her improvised voice-changing, honestly, and the authorities, according to the news, are taking it far more seriously than she was at the time. Her thoughts involuntarily wander to the subject of what people around these parts do with individuals who threaten to bomb public installations, and she's all too familiar with the stories about that kind of thing. Oh dear.

While Eta ponders life in prison without possibility of parole, she hears Lois come out of the bathroom, complete with bathrobe and rather frizzy hair. She looks quite fresh, clean and very much flushed.

"That... looks familiar," she says, looking at one of the many aerial zoom-ins of the thylacine pillar while a befuddled man from some university or another speaks via phone interview to the newscaster. "Also, a very nice bathrobe, this. I think it's my favorite article of clothing yet," she adds.

Halesey, after suddenly developing the holy superpower of potato empathy, tries to find his home in order to regroup. Walking down the street, he notices a grocery store, and can't resist going in and looking for some potatoes, which do seem to be very much present in very sizable quantities. Very cheap, too, which Halesey supposes he should be leery of, but decides that, since it would presumably be heresy to eat the potatoes anyway, expiration is not something he needs worry about presently, and thus he buys 2.5 kilos of tubers and heads home.

It's about five o' clock in the evening when he gets there, and he keenly realizes that he seems to be lower on money than before, and his date is approaching. Whether that's his most important concern right now, however, is another question.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: May 11, 2014, 04:10:15 pm »

Search home for cash! Then get showered and changed into best clothing. Probably, say, my one suit, the dark grey one, and the smartish brown leather shoes.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: May 11, 2014, 04:32:17 pm »

I swim over there and say "Hey guy. What's up."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: May 11, 2014, 04:46:31 pm »

"Yes, well. Last night I called to let you know that the kids are, in fact, safe. All four of them. I checked up on them and send them home. I suppose that concludes that business, yes?"

John speaks into the phone, hoping that this is the last of this entire silly quest mister Lee has send him on.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1528 on: May 11, 2014, 07:42:46 pm »

((Haha, this is not only an explosive Thylacine pillar, but it also tries to swallow people trying to disarm it. It's like the best bomb ever! Now I just need a situation where I use it without caring about civilian casualties. Or slowly get Eta to stop caring about that.))
Spoiler: Internal Monologue (click to show/hide)
"Also, a very nice bathrobe, this. I think it's my favourite article of clothing yet," she adds.
At least someone's happy. Eta smiled involuntarily at the thought of how such a simple thing could make Lois happy. If nothing else, I'm responsible for Lois. And she seems to care about me too. I need to be strong. For her. She tried to get her emotions out of her voice and speak calmly.
"Glad you like it. You look good in it. Although really, you haven't had many clothes to compare it with. You'll see when we go shopping tomorrow. It will be fun."
Tomorrow... Eta tried to get thoughts about tomorrow out of her head, fearing she would get lost in thinking and worrying again. She switched the subject of the conversation to something else instead.
"So, how was your shower? Everything OK?"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:17:36 am by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 11, 2014, 09:13:09 pm »

Yes... the power was here.  Let's see what else we can disintegrate!

"A bit slow on that front, book.  We thought we had cash, but then we got mixed up in some angel/demon shit and we got a soul coin and also blessed.  So, mixed bag.  Anyway, throw me some magic, will ya?  And 50 grand if you have it."

Get magic!  Focus on Disintegrate spells.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 244