Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 256163 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2670 on: August 21, 2014, 12:47:45 pm »

"Hi! Nice outfit." Eta commented as she approached Officer Rieux. MISS Rieux. I better keep that in mind.
"So, are we ready to go?" she asks.
"Almost. I just... have to do something. To say something. To you."
Eta looked down at her hand and rubbed her palm again, considering the words of wisdom her familiar had given her.
Eh, okay. How do I say this...
"Okay. Listen. There's something I haven't told you, some piece of important information about me. Now, don't worry, what I'm about to say is completely unrelated to the truthfulness of my preview statements. It's something one could say is completely irrelevant to them, in a way.

I didn't tell you before, because I... I was afraid of your immediate reaction. I was afraid you were going to focus on me instead of the more important matter. And, like I said, I consider this investigation to be highly important. I didn't want anybody to stop me.

But now you're helping me or I'm helping you or however you want to put it and I've gotten to know you better and... I want you to have that knowledge, because I've seen that you are someone I can trust. And since it was likely to come up later, I wanted you to learn it from me. I didn't want this to surprise you or distract you from something more important. I wanted you to be prepared in case it becomes relevant.

So... The thing is, when I met Mr. Pilton, he gave me this."

Eta showed the Officer her Magic Matchbox.
"It's one of the ritual objects I told you about. I didn't knew what it was at the time, but I wanted to learn more, I wanted to investigate, I wanted to learn. So that I could help people. So I tried lighting a match and... that's when magic entered me. I didn't knew what it was at first, it took me a few... accidents to learn what I could do, but now, I can focus on certain things, on certain spells and... they happen.

So, I guess, what I've been trying to say is... I'm a witch."

Eta watched the officer closely to see her reaction. She unconsciously took a deep breath and became tense, ready to run or shield herself from attack.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: August 21, 2014, 01:48:48 pm »

"Hi! Nice outfit." Eta commented as she approached Officer Rieux. MISS Rieux. I better keep that in mind.
"So, are we ready to go?" she asks.
"Almost. I just... have to do something. To say something. To you."
Eta looked down at her hand and rubbed her palm again, considering the words of wisdom her familiar had given her.
Eh, okay. How do I say this...
"Okay. Listen. There's something I haven't told you, some piece of important information about me. Now, don't worry, what I'm about to say is completely unrelated to the truthfulness of my preview statements. It's something one could say is completely irrelevant to them, in a way.

I didn't tell you before, because I... I was afraid of your immediate reaction. I was afraid you were going to focus on me instead of the more important matter. And, like I said, I consider this investigation to be highly important. I didn't want anybody to stop me.

But now you're helping me or I'm helping you or however you want to put it and I've gotten to know you better and... I want you to have that knowledge, because I've seen that you are someone I can trust. And since it was likely to come up later, I wanted you to learn it from me. I didn't want this to surprise you or distract you from something more important. I wanted you to be prepared in case it becomes relevant.

So... The thing is, when I met Mr. Pilton, he gave me this."

Eta showed the Officer her Magic Matchbox.
"It's one of the ritual objects I told you about. I didn't knew what it was at the time, but I wanted to learn more, I wanted to investigate, I wanted to learn. So that I could help people. So I tried lighting a match and... that's when magic entered me. I didn't knew what it was at first, it took me a few... accidents to learn what I could do, but now, I can focus on certain things, on certain spells and... they happen.

So, I guess, what I've been trying to say is... I'm a witch."

Eta watched the officer closely to see her reaction. She unconsciously took a deep breath and became tense, ready to run or shield herself from attack.

Officer Rieux nods, widening her eyes a little.

"I... see. What exactly do you mean by 'spells'... hm, wait. No. That would lead to far too long a line of questioning. Why don't you just give me a short version of everything you actually know? But hurry. We do have a bar to find," she asks without being overly upset or anything.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2672 on: August 21, 2014, 06:22:16 pm »

Eta blinked a couple of time.
I... expected a different kind of reaction. Not that I'm complaining. This actually went better than expected.
"I didn't lie to you, nor did I withhold anything important. The only thing I didn't tell you about was my magic. It's fairly simple, I just perform the ritual by lighting a match and looking at it. When I do that, magical knowledge fills my mind in the form of spells, but I can only remember about 6 spells at any time and the results of the ritual are semi-random. I believe the spells can be cast at any time, as long as I have some focus (and the ability to move, if the spell requires that). Right now for example, I have a spell that allows me to shoot gold out of my hands if I concentrate on it.

Oh, and I just found out I have a familiar about half an hour ago. Some kind of creature that is supposed to help me learn more about magic.  I can call him to my location if I say his name three times. I should introduce you to one another when I get the chance, you might find each other... interesting.
To my knowledge, this isn't common. Familiars, I mean. None of the other wizards and witches I've met have told me about anything like that. Then again, I might be mistaken.
So, as you can see, I'm still learning about all this."
she added with a forced smile, trying to lighten the mood.

"Do you want me to call you with a different name while we're there? They know my name, but they don't know yours."
Eta was about to ask whether or not they had backup and if she had talked to her superiors about this, but realized that was probably a stupid question.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:23:51 pm by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: August 22, 2014, 04:24:20 am »

Eta blinked a couple of time.
I... expected a different kind of reaction. Not that I'm complaining. This actually went better than expected.
"I didn't lie to you, nor did I withhold anything important. The only thing I didn't tell you about was my magic. It's fairly simple, I just perform the ritual by lighting a match and looking at it. When I do that, magical knowledge fills my mind in the form of spells, but I can only remember about 6 spells at any time and the results of the ritual are semi-random. I believe the spells can be cast at any time, as long as I have some focus (and the ability to move, if the spell requires that). Right now for example, I have a spell that allows me to shoot gold out of my hands if I concentrate on it.

Oh, and I just found out I have a familiar about half an hour ago. Some kind of creature that is supposed to help me learn more about magic.  I can call him to my location if I say his name three times. I should introduce you to one another when I get the chance, you might find each other... interesting.
To my knowledge, this isn't common. Familiars, I mean. None of the other wizards and witches I've met have told me about anything like that. Then again, I might be mistaken.
So, as you can see, I'm still learning about all this."
she added with a forced smile, trying to lighten the mood.

"Interesting. You'll have to show me more later, if you don't mind."

"Do you want me to call you with a different name while we're there? They know my name, but they don't know yours."
Eta was about to ask whether or not they had backup and if she had talked to her superiors about this, but realized that was probably a stupid question.

"Just call me Ivette. I think that would work best. Now let's move," she says, getting up and walking toward Jew Street.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:48:06 am by Harry Baldman »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2674 on: August 22, 2014, 06:09:52 am »

"Certainly, Ivette."
Let's move.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: August 23, 2014, 06:58:24 am »

Many of the Larries, which is to say most of them who are not basking in an afterglow, bid the party goodbye and begins to wish himself back to sweet old Earth. His bodies feel odd as his many beings begins to transcend, or perhaps descend, first to the surface of a stormy plain of violently shifting gas, then to a place of red dust, then to the rather thoroughly trashed surface of the moon, and finally down to Earth, in familiar or less familiar places!

Firstly, some of them are in the vicinity of the spot where Klein's pawn shop no longer is. Some are at the nunnery in the woods. Some are at home, some outside the Golden Noon Mountain downtown, a few outside of somewhere called Chez Ronardo's, some at one convenience store or another, and a precious few back at home, sitting on a bed. One or two Larries seem to have found themselves outside the factory on Import Avenue. It is late as shit, all Larries conclude as one.

Halesey, as he falls through the vortex, begins to seek the man he sent within, tentatively dubbed Derek. He plunges through the potato stream, seeking any signs of the filthy man. His first thought, rather fortuitously, is to check right behind him, and that seems to be where the fellow happens to be, seemingly having found himself right behind the vortex. Though judging by the way he seems to be poking at the area of space right behind it, Halesey gets the idea that the fellow may have gone there on purpose. He approaches, but the man makes no indication of having noticed this.

Dave stalls the God of Dentures for a moment while he can figure out an escape plan of some kind.

"Um... just give me a sec to open an exit, just in case."

"Very well."

[Dave's affinity roll: 4]

And with surprisingly few problems or difficulty, Dave's mind, which has been woefully inflexible for these tasks beforehand, calls into being a vortex! Although he supposes it's more of a portal on this side - outside of it he can see quite a few things - a street, for one. He thinks, at least. It's been some time.

"Are you ready now? It is a tad claustrophobic being here underneath this mantle, although I do appreciate the slight booze reserves, on a positive note."

The fungal shadows begin to gibber at the god incomprehensibly to Dave, presumably begging for it not to escape from the planet it is imprisoned in.

THE DUNKER tries to reassure the bartender.

"Oh, don't worry. I'm just trying to entertain myself. I'll put the booze back in the bottles once I'm done."

The bartender does not seem reassured, perhaps out of a skepticism for the continued well-being of the bottles. But he'll see - that's for certain! THE DUNKER begins to try and figure out how to make the bottles of booze unscrew themselves to let the contents out, but it seems a more complicated task than surmised, and the orbit is maintained, the booze within the bottles sloshing around dangerously.

And after a few minutes of that, two women arrive - one's the donut shop lady, the other one looks like an art teacher with quite possibly the stupidest scarf THE DUNKER's ever seen. He seems to have been the first to notice this among his group - the rest appear to be far more concerned with one another. Hungry Pete's evidently noticed them as well, judging from the suspicious look he's giving them. And before he can do anything, Pete's already walked up to them, seemingly intent on giving them the same spiel as to you.

John decides to trust Menkau - after all, not like he's had experience with the fellow having ill-considered plans with unforeseen consequences.

"You know what, I think I'm just going to trust you on this. I've seen you do pretty impressive stuff before. Alright James, all aboard the cow train," he says, and ducks as Menkau raises his robe, hiding beneath it - James follows suit, and both find themselves in Menkau's rather warm and fuzzy embrace, though the sudden feeling of safety they would experience is slightly marred by the way there is no way to properly ignore the way Menkau seems to have a rather large udder in there as well, uncomfortably hairless and warm to the touch. Menkau also smells rather cowlike, though this is not that much of an issue.

So John and James synchronize their steps with Menkau, and walk onward, the structure of the mancow shifting a little along the way inexplicably. They then need to collectively duck at one point, followed by another two minutes of walking while under the robe, at which point Menkau lets them out. They seem to be within the closed-off area right now, the police line left some distance behind them, complete with rather unfazed policemen who don't even seem to be looking their way.

"See! No questions asked whatsoever!" Menkau says.

Eta, after her surprisingly uneventful confession to, um, Ivette, follows her toward Jew Street.

Jew Street, it should be noted, used to be part of an urban neighborhood - there's a few short, stumpy apartment buildings still hanging on from that time, looking rather dilapidated and unsightly with their late-60s no-nonsense design. Most have been torn down, however, making way for smaller, though much better maintained houses, and a few more seemingly in the process of being built. Such as the one they're currently passing, which seems to be host to a party of some sort. After walking up and down the rather short street, Eta and Ivette return back to it.

"Well, seems like this is the place."

As they head inside, passing an adolescent boy passed out on the porch next to a giggling girl currently drawing elaborate swastikas amidst flowers on his face, they see an altogether more lively atmosphere, for a given definition of lively - a colorful crowd is inside the Malloy-McCoy, including a few yuppies, some military-looking guys, a few women in their thirties, a couple of street thugs having fun, a lot of teenagers and a couple more - the place is pretty packed. And right at the bar, there's a host of people. A shaggy bartender in a welder's mask. The fat man from the donut shop, wearing a dusty suit and currently with a bunch of bottles freely orbiting around him. Two girls, one short in a flowery dress, the other tall and wearing a tracksuit. One ginger man quietly drinking some issue away. And Joan, being rather boisterous toward the previous three, and more than a little drunk.

Before the two can approach, however, they are approached in turn - by a man, skinny and wild-eyed, probably in his forties, and very much excited. He speaks to Eta immediately, arms open in a welcoming gesture, seemingly paying no mind at all to Ivette.

"Welcome, pilgrim! I see you travel in the company of an unenlightened one. You have the power, do you not?" he says rather quietly, his voice carrying an undertone of mild delirium.

"Excuse me?" Ivette asks, raising an eyebrow.

"I refer to the lady you walk with," the man says. "Hungry Pete, at your service," he bows respectfully.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2676 on: August 23, 2014, 07:29:59 am »

Is he rendering to the fact that I ate that blessed cheese? But how could he know that? I should humour him, just in case he isn't some random crazy drunkard.

She waved at the obese gentlemen to alert him of her presence, just in case she required help with dealing with Pete.

"Pilgrims? On which journey? What do you mean 'enlightened'? And... what exactly are you hungry for, if you don't mind me asking?"

Spoiler: Eta (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:06:26 am by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: August 23, 2014, 07:56:07 am »

"Pilgrims? On which journey? What do you mean 'enlightened'? And... what exactly are you hungry for, if you don't mind me asking?"

"You are in the possession of the gifts of God, I believe. You may have even touched one of the fingers of God, from the looks of you. The journey is one we all take, to find our way and prepare for the end times. And as to what I am hungry for, I would say revelation. What is your name, pilgrim?"

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: August 23, 2014, 09:12:44 am »

"Yeah, sure."
Go through the vortex if anything goes wrong.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: August 23, 2014, 11:05:55 am »

Hail the fellow.

"Hello there! How do you like the inside of a vortex?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: August 23, 2014, 11:10:54 am »

Hail the fellow.

"Hello there! How do you like the inside of a vortex?"

"Kind of meh so far," the man goes, not turning his head your way.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: August 23, 2014, 12:41:42 pm »

"Huh, impressive. Do you do anything to make them ignore your presence or do non-magically inclined people just tend to not notice you? Anyway, I suppose we need to go down into the sewers now?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: August 23, 2014, 12:50:42 pm »

"Huh, impressive. Do you do anything to make them ignore your presence or do non-magically inclined people just tend to not notice you? Anyway, I suppose we need to go down into the sewers now?"

"They don't at all when I shift a little for maximum effect, but usually I just appear to be... unobtrusive, shall we say! And yes! To the sewers! Try and smell the leyline yourself, however. The leyline is not too far from the pawn shop, I believe, but closer than that I can't really say."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: August 23, 2014, 12:55:33 pm »

"That's got to come in handy often. Right then lads, into the sewers we go."

Venture into the sewers! Try and smell/sense the location of the leyline and search it out

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: August 23, 2014, 01:09:44 pm »

Larry tries to get himselves in order.  "Okay, all of you, time for sleep!  We can conquer the world tomorrow."

Go back to my apartment and sleeeeeeeep.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 244