Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 255169 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2880 on: September 21, 2014, 04:02:46 pm »

"Uhhh... sure."

Larry shrugged.  Might as well give it a shot.

Head to Mercury?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2881 on: September 22, 2014, 09:42:31 am »

Erm... Whoops. Thought that would just make the spell stop.
I guess that should teach her summoning drugs is a bad idea. Especially when they are coming out of your nose.
Still, I can't leave her like this. But that doesn't mean I won't at least try to take some precautions in case she harbours any ill will.
Who am I kidding, that girl is definitely going to stab me.

"This should teach you not to summon drugs.
Now, if I heal you, do you promise you will behave? Help me with whatever I need? And be a nicer person in general?"

Not that Eta had any idea how to heal her. But maybe one of her new companions could help.
She knew that this was probably a very bad idea but she couldn't let that woman die.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: September 22, 2014, 12:10:16 pm »

"Well that's interesting. Do you have any intuitive knowledge of your nature? if so please tell me. Also let's see if you can manipulate the flow of dentures. If not it may be hard to get to the moon."

You notice the dentures beginning to waft in a more organized way far off in the distance. You're still kind of orbiting the Denture God, though, and not in direct contact with any of them.

"I guess I can, yeah. Not too well, though. Just a bit."

Erm... Whoops. Thought that would just make the spell stop.
I guess that should teach her summoning drugs is a bad idea. Especially when they are coming out of your nose.
Still, I can't leave her like this. But that doesn't mean I won't at least try to take some precautions in case she harbours any ill will.
Who am I kidding, that girl is definitely going to stab me.

"This should teach you not to summon drugs.
Now, if I heal you, do you promise you will behave? Help me with whatever I need? And be a nicer person in general?"

Not that Eta had any idea how to heal her. But maybe one of her new companions could help.
She knew that this was probably a very bad idea but she couldn't let that woman die.

Joanie tilts her head a bit, and gets to her feet, beginning to breathe through her mouth. She doesn't say anything, just stares at you levelly, looking unsteady, yet also very jittery. One of her eyes is twitching, and her eyes are wild. The flow of cocaine slows to a trickle, then stops.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: September 23, 2014, 08:12:04 am »

((awesome – was unfortunately afk for a few days though))

Well. This… this was amazing, thought Benjamin Halesey the Living Potato Vortex. He’d actually witnessed death by potato! And now he was part potato, part vortex. He wondered briefly if he was still part Halesey. There was potato. There was vortex. There was presumably still physical parts of Halesey, for he could see, which indicated the existence of eyes.

He was a bit irritated about Nigel, and the more he thought about this, the more he was irritated with himself for not learning how to locate potatoes. Damn.

He hummed gently to himself for a minute or two, finding it impossible to remain irritated when such a large part of whatever he now was was formed of the essence of God. Was he physically enlightened now?

Cast Empathise With Potatoes! Direct this at the potatoes in the vortexes that form part of me.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2884 on: September 23, 2014, 12:38:47 pm »

"You're trying to make my head explode with your mind, aren't you? C'mon my offer for healing still stands."

Wait to see what happens. Prepare to play Wild Gunman with Golden High Heels, in case she doesn't appreciate my little joke.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: September 23, 2014, 12:49:41 pm »

"Ah looks like the buzz is gone. Guess I'll have to start drinking myself to death all over again at a later time."

John gets out of bed and walks to the kitchen area.

"Hey James, you want breakfast?"

Try and scrounge up some breakfast, invite James if he wants in on it. THen read the magazine to recieve new spells

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: September 23, 2014, 01:26:30 pm »

"You're trying to make my head explode with your mind, aren't you? C'mon my offer for healing still stands."

Wait to see what happens. Prepare to play Wild Gunman with Golden High Heels, in case she doesn't appreciate my little joke.

She starts quickly nodding, eyes still wild.

"Go ahead and do it, if you're going to," she says, beginning to nod repeatedly. She's rather flushed right now, and twitching considerably.

"How are you going to heal her?" Ivette, silent up to this point, asks with a bit of curiosity.

"Magic, duh," says Menkau.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: September 23, 2014, 02:33:35 pm »

Try and see if I can create a variation of Denture Vortex that allows me to open two vortexes very close to each other in the Prime Material Plane but far away in the Denture Dimension.
Spoiler: Dave (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:04:48 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2888 on: September 24, 2014, 02:17:58 pm »

Okay. Healing. How to heal? I could try the matches, but that is random. It could take a while, but I don't have that time. I could ask my new companion, but I don't want to ask something like that from him so soon. I don't want him to think I'm using him. Or that I am weak, that I need him. But I know another magical being. One that might have some experience in making deals. And a deal could be useful right now. So...

"Come here Caradog. I need some help with healing, Caradog. And I might have a deal for you Caradog."

Let's hope this works.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: September 24, 2014, 03:07:13 pm »

Okay. Healing. How to heal? I could try the matches, but that is random. It could take a while, but I don't have that time. I could ask my new companion, but I don't want to ask something like that from him so soon. I don't want him to think I'm using him. Or that I am weak, that I need him. But I know another magical being. One that might have some experience in making deals. And a deal could be useful right now. So...

"Come here Caradog. I need some help with healing, Caradog. And I might have a deal for you Caradog."

Let's hope this works.

Within but a second, you become aware of a presence next to you. And, sure enough, there's Caradog, looking as leathery, having eyes as milky and smelling as much of cigarette smoke as ever.

"Hey! Did I hear something about a deal? And healing?"

"Ack!" Ivette jumps back at the sudden, inexplicable appearance of the demonic fellow.

"Who's that? What's a Caradog?" Joanie asks, scratching her head nervously.

"Caradog's good for you. Into each life some Caradog must fall!"

"And I'm Caradog. But you may call me Clive!" Caradog relates to the group, moving to assume the physical center of this conversation rather than merely the center of attention. "So, healing, deals, what's the business?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2890 on: September 24, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »

"Thank you for coming so quickly Clive. The predicament we are in is really quite simple.

My friend here, Joanie, seems to be suffering from an accidental drug overdose I might be somewhat related to. So now Joanie requires medical attention.
But I also fear that my good friend Joanie might have a bit of a... shall we say, temper problem. So, you see, I do find it a bit hard to trust she won't attempt to do anything bad to me. So here is what I propose:

You heal her and make sure she stays healthy, make sure she doesn't suffer any ill effects from this drug overdose as long as she keeps her end of the bargain.
But if she causes harm to me in any way, then I have the right to ask from you to make sure she can never do that again. And you can make that happen in any way you want.
And if she kills me or otherwise manages to make me unable to contact you, then you can do whatever you want with her.

What do you say? Good idea? Are you willing to do that? Got any suggestions?"

Let's see if either of them will spot the problem with that deal...
Then again, I did leave some points rather vague, which means he can twist it against me if he wants.
I guess I'll just have to trust him to be fair. Or at least hope he has more to gain out of me than out of her.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: September 25, 2014, 06:44:58 am »

"Thank you for coming so quickly Clive. The predicament we are in is really quite simple.

My friend here, Joanie, seems to be suffering from an accidental drug overdose I might be somewhat related to. So now Joanie requires medical attention.
But I also fear that my good friend Joanie might have a bit of a... shall we say, temper problem. So, you see, I do find it a bit hard to trust she won't attempt to do anything bad to me. So here is what I propose:

You heal her and make sure she stays healthy, make sure she doesn't suffer any ill effects from this drug overdose as long as she keeps her end of the bargain.
But if she causes harm to me in any way, then I have the right to ask from you to make sure she can never do that again. And you can make that happen in any way you want.
And if she kills me or otherwise manages to make me unable to contact you, then you can do whatever you want with her.

What do you say? Good idea? Are you willing to do that? Got any suggestions?"

Let's see if either of them will spot the problem with that deal...
Then again, I did leave some points rather vague, which means he can twist it against me if he wants.
I guess I'll just have to trust him to be fair. Or at least hope he has more to gain out of me than out of her.

"It's pretty doable, I guess. Heal her, create a binding agreement, prepare for retribution in case of fuckery, yeah, pretty simple stuff. I guess I can put her back into a serviceable state. You want to maybe add some other people you don't want dead or harmed to that deal? Or maybe some other clauses? After all, she kind of has few alternatives at this point," Clive says, gesturing with his cigar at Joanie.

"Fuck you, no binding agreements!" Joanie shouts, beginning to step away from your group. "I'm not gonna go and enslave myself to you, or anyone! That's not how this works!"

"That's the spirit, Joanie! Fight the power!" Menkau says condescendingly.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2892 on: September 25, 2014, 08:55:29 pm »

"Yeah, I suppose I'd like to add my friends to that protection. I'd like to refrain from revealing their names to her. Both because I don't want her to know who they are and because that might cause her to think twice before deciding to hurt someone."

"Other than that, no, nothing else. I'm just doing this to protect myself and others. I don't want her to be my slave or anything. If she can't abide to something so simple, then she can let herself die for all I care."

"I've got way more important things to worry about right now."
she added and glanced at Menkau.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: September 26, 2014, 05:40:51 pm »

Larry, upon not being offered a ride, is bewildered. But then again, he did manage to get home from Saturn. It shouldn't be particularly hard to do the same for Mercury, right? Without particularly concentrating, he attempts to be on Mercury, but nothing really seems to happen despite his repeated attempts to focus on the problem. He walks to and fro a bit, wondering what the issue might be. Is he missing something, mayhap?

Halesey is amazed at the miracles of the vortex, the potato and himself, a joint miracle, if you will. All of which seem to be himself, somehow, like a holy trinity of some kind. It almost makes sense. But it doesn't quite make sense yet! He must make sense of it personally, and there is only one good way on hand, and that is the noble art of potato empathy.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 5+1-1]

And it does begin to make more sense shortly as he opens his mind to the vortex potatoes, becoming not just the vortex, but also the potatoes, sharing in their feelings fully, including the paralyzed, screaming ones frozen in place by that Nigel fellow. It's slightly disturbing at first, but the presence of potatoes that rub up against his tender mortal brain in an emotional fashion pacify him further, elevating the potato prophet to a level of tranquility usually only attained on picturesque mountain peaks or infinite lands of dust and flatness. All is well, he feels, despite the way he still can't move at all.

John, disappointed about his rather hale and hearty state of health, resolves to drink himself to death more efficiently in the future. But first, breakfast! Out of bed with a spring in his step, he locates James, who appears to be up already and seems to have prepared a breakfast at that. French toast and maple syrup, it seems like, plus fruit and coffee. Relatively fresh fruit, too, probably bought not very long ago, and certainly not by John.

"I, uh, kind of got hungry and you weren't up yet. You don't mind, right?"

John really doesn't, he guesses. At least James here is earning his keep. Breakfast immediately ensues, leaving John filled with quite a bit of energy. Energy that he would really like to expend, naturally - and what better way to do this than to try out some new magical shenanigans? Opening the mag, John stares at its secrets.

[John's mind roll: 5+1]

Rich in carbohydrates as he is, John finds little to no challenge in the catching of spheres that follows - picking out three of the more interesting-looking ones, he catches them and, without even waiting for a normal expiration time for the vision, swims right back out into the real world, the feeling of being so very on top of things becoming mildly surreal. Is this what happiness feels like, perhaps?

Spoiler: John's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

Dave, faced with the problem of a runaway moon, has a brilliant idea. It involves vortexes primarily, and dimensional gerrymandering secondarily. His upper lip quivers inquisitively as his hands work on violating the fabric of space for personal gain, binding the very doors between planes to do what he wants them to!

[Dave's affinity roll: 4]

One small vortex appears immediately - it points to an empty street. Through it, Dave prepares to unleash the next vortex!

[Dave's affinity roll: 3]

An even smaller vortex does he manage to manifest inside the first one - on the material plane, to be specific. Unfortunately for him, the small hole, while no doubt able to host him, merely leads to an area a few meters away in the Denture Dimension, lending some credence to the idea that there is some correspondence between a location on Earth and a location in this place. Perhaps not absolute correspondence, but some form of correspondence nevertheless.

Eta, being a concerned citizen, but not quite concerned enough to try and help somebody as obviously bloody-minded as the girl currently experiencing a massive cocaine overdose, continues speaking to Clive, largely ignoring Joanie.

"Yeah, I suppose I'd like to add my friends to that protection. I'd like to refrain from revealing their names to her. Both because I don't want her to know who they are and because that might cause her to think twice before deciding to hurt someone. Other than that, no, nothing else. I'm just doing this to protect myself and others. I don't want her to be my slave or anything. If she can't abide to something so simple, then she can let herself die for all I care. I've got way more important things to worry about right now," she says, glancing at Menkau, who gives her a thumbs-up before looking away.

"Yeah, screw all this for a lark, I'm outta here!" Joanie yells, and then immediately runs off.

"Oh, what a shame. Say, Eta, wanna maybe make a deal for protection, provided by me, in exchange for a favor later on? In case she makes it through the night alive, I mean. Who knows, right?" Clive offers.

"Uh, Eta, who is this guy, anyway?" Ivette asks. "And where'd he come from?"

"I came from nowhere. Weren't you paying attention?" Clive laughs. "Materialized out of thin air according to the whims of my dark mistress, ya know?"

Ivette looks dubiously at Eta upon hearing this remark.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: September 26, 2014, 07:52:00 pm »

Fuck all that.

"Not working, Cal.  Sup?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 244