Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 821848 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2220 on: January 11, 2017, 03:35:07 pm »

if only you could reanimate skeletons. I would just have a skeleton village--full of skeletons. They would hate people with skin, but they would make an honest living.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2221 on: January 11, 2017, 03:36:30 pm »

if only you could reanimate skeletons. I would just have a skeleton village--full of skeletons. They would hate people with skin, but they would make an honest living.
Some should have a trait called human-poseur and they're obsessed with looking alive again, with big mood boosts to wearing clothing made of skin

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: January 11, 2017, 03:46:03 pm »

Lol. "Moisturize me!"
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2223 on: January 11, 2017, 03:49:02 pm »

This makes me want to play a colony of ghouls in a radioactive fallout themed mod

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: January 11, 2017, 03:51:47 pm »

This makes me want to play a colony of ghouls in a radioactive fallout themed mod

I'd use the fallout mods but it is kind of... too noisy :P

I looooooooooooove bloat... Give me a game with a thousand different enemies! Give me a thousand different guns! A thousand hairstyles!

But not when the bloat impedes playing the game... and HOLY GOODNESS does it fill up the gun section... and I can't even tell what each gun is most of the time.

---

Also they REALLY REALLY have to fix up the uhhh... Compound... no... uhhh... the mechanics? no... dang it!

They really need to fix up the machine that lets you turn steel into mechanical junk...

Because it is seriously not worth using except for training (because there is no quality level)... It takes too much steel and takes too long... All while costing you tons of steel and tons of contraptions to even make, meaning you would only create it if you had a serious surplus.

You are honestly better just always buying out contraptions.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:54:06 pm by Neonivek »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: January 11, 2017, 04:05:45 pm »

I'd use the fallout mods but it is kind of... too noisy :P

I looooooooooooove bloat... Give me a game with a thousand different enemies! Give me a thousand different guns! A thousand hairstyles!

But not when the bloat impedes playing the game... and HOLY GOODNESS does it fill up the gun section... and I can't even tell what each gun is most of the time.

---

Also they REALLY REALLY have to fix up the uhhh... Compound... no... uhhh... the mechanics? no... dang it!

They really need to fix up the machine that lets you turn steel into mechanical junk...

Because it is seriously not worth using except for training (because there is no quality level)... It takes too much steel and takes too long... All while costing you tons of steel and tons of contraptions to even make, meaning you would only create it if you had a serious surplus.

You are honestly better just always buying out contraptions.
I think Tynan may have said that that is exactly how it's supposed to be, components are supposed to force you to trade.  I don't think it makes sense though because those components that are so incredibly delicate and complex that you have to spend tons of steel and tons of work creating them can be crushed by geological forces into a uniform wall for a thousand years, wailed on with a pick, and extracted in perfect condition.

I usually mod the parts and labor costs but it would probably be fun to start setting up mining camps to extract components and ship them back- that is provided your PC doesn't catch fire.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: January 11, 2017, 04:14:54 pm »

Components thank you!

So basically the component table isn't REALLY meant for you to use (unless your doing some sort of challenge run) but rather it is meant as a sort of excuse as to why everyone else has spares (being permanently established villages, towns, and cities) and why you can almost never actually get back the 20 components used to make the machine?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: January 11, 2017, 06:44:56 pm »

The major use of the component table I've found is 'make to 10' and deal with the constant mechanical failures.  If you want to build something new, it'll either take a while or you need to trade, but for maintaining your base's frequent failures, it works.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2228 on: January 12, 2017, 01:03:29 am »

and why you can almost never actually get back the 20 components used to make the machine?
I was pretty sure *all* deconstruction loses half the resources used to make it.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: January 12, 2017, 01:17:42 am »

and why you can almost never actually get back the 20 components used to make the machine?
I was pretty sure *all* deconstruction loses half the resources used to make it.
I thought he meant that he never uses the component bench to produce 20 components, actually.  I always saw it, like others, as more of a self-sufficiency than an efficiency tool.  Before I added a mod to change how breakdowns work (specifically, one from Fluffy that adds regular maintenance), I always had serious issues getting components I needed when I needed them due to awful luck with traders, so the bench was quite helpful for me.  Expensive in both time and steel, but helpful.  I don't quite have the same issues with components to the same degree anymore, but since my luck with traders hasn't changed, I do still get some use out of it.

((Also, probably not worth noting, but it actually costs 30...which always also made it a metric pain to try and build up a reserve to construct the darn thing for me.))
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:19:54 am by Culise »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: January 12, 2017, 01:55:22 am »

It seems to me that every trade caravan carries some components and some medicine nowadays? Might even apply to trade ships, not sure. Trade ships should certainly have more and more interesting wares compared to caravans, now they don't have much difference.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: January 12, 2017, 07:12:04 pm »

It's funny, my most successful run so far has been with a semi-nomadic tribal start with everyone using only melee weapons on rough cassandra. I'm now at my 3rd camp, been moving when something annoying like toxic fallout happens or when wealth gets too high from the map getting flooded with items I can't get rid of fast enough. I'm not even using cheesy defenses(I'm not using any defenses), just a pack of battle s̶t̶e̶a̶k̶s̶  boars to help a little during chaotic melee fights and I've only had one early casualty(surgery) in 102 days. The only power I'm using is a fueled generator. This run has taught me a lot about quick and efficient colony starts. For one, I've learned you really don't need a fridge, I've been keeping only 2 fine meals per people which won't spoil before being eaten and the rest is pemmican being stockpiled for my next move. I'll probably need to move again soon since I've had the misfortune of being given an AI persona core and tons of military gear from raids and since I don't have access to cremation and stockpiles can't be sorted by quality/durability I can't conveniently get rid of stuff.

How is this not getting crushed with over 70k wealth?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:14:17 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: January 12, 2017, 07:33:03 pm »

I suspect the storytellers ramp up the difficulty over time, and it gets reset/reduced when you relocate.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: January 13, 2017, 03:01:50 am »

Is there a way to make the home zone not get automatically expanded? I got a manhunter pack of 22 wargs and to make sure my animals got enough food I decided to plant daylilies in every empty dirt square inside the walls. What I forgot was that this would expand the home zone, someone opened a door, aggroed the wargs and they tore down the doors. What followed was a pretty bloody battle as 8 melee fighters and a pack of boars tried to hold them off at the door. Good thing I just finished researching prosthetics...
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: January 13, 2017, 03:04:34 am »

Is there a way to make the home zone not get automatically expanded? I got a manhunter pack of 22 wargs and to make sure my animals got enough food I decided to plant daylilies in every empty dirt square inside the walls. What I forgot was that this would expand the home zone, someone opened a door, aggroed the wargs and they tore down the doors. What followed was a pretty bloody battle as 8 melee fighters and a pack of boars tried to hold them off at the door. Good thing I just finished researching prosthetics...

Make an area yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 278