Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

King Melbil has arrived with his queen consort. There are also many relatives of the king currently living in the fortress. What should we do?

Kill the king, but leave queen consort and relatives be.
- 0 (0%)
Murder the king and his wife, leave other members of their family alive.
- 0 (0%)
Kill'em all!
- 0 (0%)
Other variant (in comments)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44

Author Topic: Dorfday: The Heist - The Finale  (Read 68523 times)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfday: The Heist - For the glory! For Chamberdrums! (Players are welcome!)
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2013, 11:45:34 pm »

The Journal of Grimmash, Overseer of Chamberdrums

The End of Summer

2nd Limestone

I sent our marksdwarves to the trade depot, and order them to fire upon the goblins.  Using our new bridge system, were able to trap them inside the courtyard.  They seem to be running back and forth, following a larger goblin, while our bolts and traps slowly pierce them.

Zulban Biseklokum, the former mayor and RoughRogue’s daughter was found dead of dehydration in her bed today.  I told Rough, but she seems to be taking in stride.  I wonder if the weed has permanently altered her mind?

7th Limestone

After days of fighting, I order the marksdwarves to stand down and take a break.  We have killed a few goblins, and they seem more frightened than anything else at this point.  A few will run into the depot, then fall back into the courtyard where our bolts cannot reach them.

11th Limestone

After allowing the dwarves to take a few more shots, the goblins have lost their will to fight.  I have let them leave.   While Armok would surely welcome their blood we have too much to do, and I need access to the wood in the depot.

Here is the butcher’s bill from the pathetic siege:
  • 5 dead of 13 goblins.
  • Two by trap.
  • Grim: 1 Goblin.
  • Monitor Lizard:  1 goblin.
  • Titanslayer: 1 goblin.

14th Limestone[/i]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A werepangolin has shown up on our land.  I have dispatched our melee squad to take it down.

15th Limestone

The stupid shape-changer turned into a goblin and fled.  I’ll keep an eye out for the creature.

20th Limestone

Atir Lokumtob, a miner, has become possessed and claimed a Mason’s workshop.  So far he has grabbed the hide of the titan and some raw gold.  This may work in our favor if we can satisfy his needs.  I hope for some priceless furniture with which to increase our stature in the eyes of the Mountainhome, and sooner lure in the ill-fated King.

24th Limestone

I checked in with RoughRogue today, and she was ecstatic.  I am sure, beyond a doubt, that she must be mad.

I am also glad to say that work on the plan has begun.  I have marked off a series of rooms to serve as the backbone of our trap.  Once it has come a little further along, I shall show the others the final design.

Atir has been babbling for thread, yet we have plenty of pig tail strands in the stocks.  It seems I cannot yet shear any of our livestock, so I have ordered a deeper entrance to the caverns to try and claim some silk.

1st Sandstone

So much Miasma!  I have ordered mass pitting of the corpses from the siege.  Work on the new tunnels progresses, but slowly.  We have to dig down considerably to reach the webs, and some of it appears to be from a giant cave spider.  I hope this does not end badly for the fortress.

4th Sandstone

Ushrir Lolokstakud was reinstalled as mayor.  I have properly prepared rooms this time.  I am loath to see another dwarf, even a fledgling noble, struck down by madness.

5th Sandstone

Nuckles has grown attached to a bronze mace.  I hope it serves him well.  My reworking of the squads also seems to have encouraged them to train more often.  I have a feeling that the small wave of goblins was only a precursor to something more sinister.  Hopefully the training will serve us well.

24th Sandstone

More migrants have arrived, 15 in total, bring our population to 115 souls.  There have also been a few births, so I am hopeful that some happiness can be found in this treacherous land.

We managed to collect some of the cave spider silk and craft it to thread.  Atir immediately seized it, and started construction on whatever it is he is trying to make.  At least I have saved one dwarf from madness.   

1st Timber

Atir has completed his work: Egstakaned, The Eviscerated Sports, a native gold door.  While it sadly does not recount anything of note in our fortress, Grim tells me it is quite valuable.  I will place it at the entrance to the dining hall for now.  It will do our dwarves well to see such a beautiful creation, surrounded as we are by death.

Some beast, called Nomar Laslemitvid Hgopex Maga keeps enraging, although I have no idea where he is.  I assume it lives deep in the caverns, as we are hearing rumbles and roars from the depths.  I have a bridge and lever under way to seal off the lower caverns if need be.  I hope we can complete them soon.

14th Timber

The beast showed it’s head!  It was a fast bastard, and ran up the stairwell as we tried to finish off the bridge and lever.  The battle was entered on the stairs deep below our fortress, and Daria related the events to me.

Our dwarves through it would be an easy fight, given  he state of the beast when they encountered it. 

Titanslayer engaged first, meeting the beast on the lower steps.  Alas, he was caught in the beast’s webs.  He struggled valiantly, biting and wrestling, but in the beast broke his legs with a sickening twist, and stove in the poor dwarfs head.  Magni leapt down the stairwell, but the beast unleashed a torrent of webs, trapping Magni and then bit clean through his head.  A dwarf named Zefon was third on the scene, and the beast enraged, taking Zefon into its’ jaws, piercing his armor and chest.  It shook Zefon until his blood seeped out onto the stairs, never to glimpse Chamberdrums again.

By this time the whole of our fledgling military arrived, and under the repeated blows the beast finally feel after a day and a half of cramped fighting on the stairs.  Daria delivered the fatal blow to the beast’s head, and it fell.  We lost a good friend, and our first hero this day, and we may yet lose Spazbot to deep wounds in his belly.  I cannot say the spider webs for Atir were worth such a price.  Armok permitting, I will create a shrine to those fallen to the vile beast Nomar.

18th Timber

It seems we live in Armok’s crucible.  As the dwarven caravan came up the hill, and our squads were recovering from the loss of close friends, both the traders and we were deceived.  Three of the dwarves in the caravan were necromancers, masquerading as brothers.  We quickly sealed the inner bridge, but not before a few shambling corpses, including some of the Titan’s remains, made it inside.  I am sad to report one of our own was struck down before the militia had time to return to the surface. 

Once I spared a moment to run to the guard tower, even worse news was at hand.  It seems the earlier goblin siege was a small raiding party sent out from a larger force.

I have sealed the fortress.  The traders will have to fend for themselves.

We do have a tool to use for our defense.  In the calm before the forgotten beast Nomar, the necromancer’s deceit, and the arrival of goblins, I was able to create a small shooting gallery opposite the courtyard.  We are currently shooting the trolls and undead who are fighting each other in the court.

19th Timber

Before the more grim news to come, I have word from AseaHeru, in his newly dug hopstial.  SpazBot, who seemed gravely injured from his fighting with the forgotten beast and the undead, recovered from a deep wound to his belly and guts, and seems only still suffer from a deep cut on his arm.  However, his belly is a hideous sight of scarred flesh.

The caravan and all the souls with it are dead or fled.  A troll viciously tore apart two necromancers in the courtyard.  Our marksdwarves watched as the beast, taking arrow after arrow, refused to yield.  It picked up the fell dwarf and ripped it limb from limb, and then proceeded to twist and mutilate the second.  Only after this display of brutal single-mindedness did the monster finally stumble and fall under the rain of our bolts.  Perhaps Armok has a strange way of accepting the gift of blood.  While the trolls and undead fought among each other and died, the third necromancer turned tail and fled.  This revealed a full three squads of goblin crossbowmen and archers, who chased after the third necromancer.

Given the vulnerable nature of our fortifications and the now unoccupied goblins, I have stood the marksdwarves down to ponder our next move.  I barely made it alive off the guard tower, as the goblins launched a volley of bolts.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfday: The Heist - For the glory! For Chamberdrums! (Players are welcome!)
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2013, 05:05:42 am »

They have come to take our shiny things! I think that a channel in front of the new fortifications may be useful, it'll stop non-elite bowgoblins from shooting our marksdwarves.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Necromancers vs goblins.. should be interesting,

Blenheim Datandur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't believe I died already. Of thirst, of all goddamn things.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Blenheim - sorry about that.  The start of the year was pretty crazy.  Everyone else had just been trying to survive.  I thought I had a handle on it, but migrants and the titan made the start rather intense.  I was hoping to get more mood stuffs off the dwarves, but that was a bust.  Hopefully i can loot the corpses If I can figure out a way to deal with all these goblins.

On that note, i was hoping the necros would thin out the archers, but the trolls took out two, and the third was a damn coward.  There are no longer any undead, but a about 30 archers.  I tested using the guard tower to hit the archers, but that lead to perforated dwarves tumbling down the stairs, so scratch that idea.  If i have time, i hope to build fortifications on the tower and either roof or wall off above the courtyard.

I hope to have the remaining turn up in two more posts, with a final third post to explain much of what i have done and how to use the plan on future turns.  If we ever get a liason to survive.  I'm pretty sure the latest one got gutted along with the other dwarves in the caravan.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could try carving fortifications in the bottom floor of the tower and stationing the marksdwarves in it. The goblins shouldn't be able to shoot through it until they get close.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile

Personal Diary of Nuckles
This mace I've been carrying has served me well over the years.  I really enjoy using it, and this mace gives me extra peace of mind when I hear the bloody goblins and their shrill war calls.

I heard about a golden door Atir made and decided to check it out.  Don't know how Atir did it, but the lock on that thing is amazing.  And the door doesn't look half bad either.  I'm looking forward to admiring it again in the future!

Magni's gone.  This terrible beast long forgotten was climbing up the stairs and... I still can't believe it.  This is my fault, if only I had finished that emergency bridge project faster.

---   ---
OOC: Bad luck about Magni and the TitanSlayer, but at least we are surviving the siege.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:48:25 pm by Ruhn »

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile

I can't believe I died already. Of thirst, of all goddamn things.
The fortress has faced multiple goblin ambushes, undead sieges, werebeast assaults, a titan, and a forgotten beast onslaught so far. Yet your dorf decided to go nuts and die of thirst. That's sooo Chamberdrums.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The main issue with the marksdwarves, and really the military as a whole, is that all of our dorfs, save myself and i think AseaHeru, are in the military, and are really the only competent ones.  So i don't want to waste them.  I already lost Magni to a poorly managed FB incursion, and blenheim to the RNG, I'd just as soon turtle for little bit.  That siege could break before spring anyway.

I also am thinking of some way to at least trap the goblins, and maybe use the aquifer to our advantage.  I have to mull it over a bit.  At best I'll the next player a room full of trapped or drowned goblinite.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To be fair I lost a dorf in my year to a poorly managed zombie fight in the entrance hall. 'Rufus' I believe. If needs be then throw us into the fray, we will each be a tad annoyed if we don't die in an epic fashion but death in battle is better than drowning or old age. I'd sooner die a warrior than waste away for a straw death.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile

Well, unless I was reinlisted I'm not in the military either.  And thanks to Grimmash and Grim Portent for incorporating my antics into their stories.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile

To be fair I lost a dorf in my year to a poorly managed zombie fight in the entrance hall. 'Rufus' I believe. If needs be then throw us into the fray, we will each be a tad annoyed if we don't die in an epic fashion but death in battle is better than drowning or old age. I'd sooner die a warrior than waste away for a straw death.

"Oh, so you come to MY fortress... Trying to slaughter MY friends... Willing to take MY bling... And you think you can get away with this? How about NO?!"

This is a picture of broker dorf!Grim. It is studded with baldness and menases with spikes of badassery.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:42:22 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Although the pop has grown considerably, the dwarves i had at the start, including the dorfed dwarves, are still the most useful.  So not throwing our bearded selves into combat willy nilly is also good for getting stuff done around the fort.

Which reminds me, i need to butcher that FB.  We are going to have so much meat...  At the very least i will leave the new overseer piles of booze, fb and titan meat, and more hematite, gold and rock than we can process.

I could try to get to some lava.  You guys think that would make for a fun turn end, or should i leave it to the next poor soul running this place?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the picture Lisard, it is indeed studded with baldness.  :D

If the caverns are open we could start chopping down cavern wood to make charcoal to process our ores so we can improve our fort a bit more, it's dangerous for the woodcutters and haulers but it would be useful. Lava, while fun, is a bit of a risky thing to get, and even when you do get it you also wind up with crundle swarms running up and down your multi-cavern stairways.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44