Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289134 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1065 on: August 15, 2015, 07:08:12 pm »

So I just watch some inferior-low-budget local-TV documentary with Steve Hawking.
I'm more annoyed by his weird anti-progress thing that pops up sometimes. The last ones I can remember were "don't develop AIs because they'll kill us all" and "don't look for aliens because they'll kill us all".
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1066 on: August 15, 2015, 07:45:13 pm »

+1 on the "If we truly are alone in the universe, we should make our own company" answer.

In fact, we should make our own company regardless. It would better prepare us for alien modalities of thought, since uplifted organisms would have very different baseline evolutionary habits from us, and while they would be based off humans for their sapience, would still be prone to rather alien modalities of thought from us.  (Not as alien as say, the hypothetical sentient amoeba from kepler 72b (made up)-- but still alien to US, and thus something to help bridge the gap and prepare us for when we may eventually meet such creature.)
Better make them robotic just to cover all our bases
I'm more annoyed by his weird anti-progress thing that pops up sometimes. The last ones I can remember were "don't develop AIs because they'll kill us all" and "don't look for aliens because they'll kill us all".
Oh god, Hawking. And Musk for that matter. I can't believe they don't see what they're doing when they bring celebrity to bear on science they aren't even participants in.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 07:49:54 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 10, 2015, 10:01:17 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1068 on: September 10, 2015, 10:03:58 pm »

Pluto is best planet

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 11, 2015, 12:53:09 am »

Pluto is best planet
That's because it's a dwarf planet, not an elf planet...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 11, 2015, 06:08:32 am »

Pluto is best planet
That's because it's a dwarf planet, not an elf planet...
Unfortunate that it doesn't have active plate tectonics. Mars does, though, but at a more primitive level than Earth.

Therefore, Earth > Mars > Pluto.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 12, 2015, 03:01:09 pm »

A particularly fine video-frame composite of the Sun and the ISS passing across it1, here...

(A combination of good luck, good opportunity and the hardware to do something with it.)

1 Twice!

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #1072 on: September 12, 2015, 03:02:34 pm »

I'm using something similar as my current desktop background.

Spoiler: This to be precise (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:09:39 pm by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 13, 2015, 06:37:41 am »

more Pluto!
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/new-pluto-images-from-nasa-s-new-horizons-it-s-complicated
[img]
I like that picture a lot. Is there a higher resolution version I can use as a wallpaper? Oddly all the ones I'm seeing on the raw image site (currently receiving pictures of pluto's atmosphere halo, pretty neat) aren't actually that big. Was the picture from the top of the article you link composited from smaller ones?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 13, 2015, 09:35:46 am »

more Pluto!
http://www.nasa.gov/feature/new-pluto-images-from-nasa-s-new-horizons-it-s-complicated
[img]
I like that picture a lot. Is there a higher resolution version I can use as a wallpaper? Oddly all the ones I'm seeing on the raw image site (currently receiving pictures of pluto's atmosphere halo, pretty neat) aren't actually that big. Was the picture from the top of the article you link composited from smaller ones?
its probably a mosaic they put together. i don't know where they store the super high res ones. only image gallery i can find it in is here: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/newhorizons/images/index.html

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 13, 2015, 05:25:53 pm »

its probably a mosaic they put together.
From the lower part of that image, which consists of not-as-sharp detail, I'd say that's right.  Formed of whatever highest-res monochrome images they have (from various distances and angles, stretched and skewed to match the eventual viewing angle) and hue-washed with the lower-res colour photography.

(In the later images on that page they've left dark spaces where they don't have tiling information, instead.)

You might well find higher-res images of a subset (in fact, you do, already, that page just brought my (slow) internet to a grinding halt while revisiting it to check what I'd noted the first time round), or they might be able to improve the image over the next few months as more and more of the stored data is trickled back to Earth for analysis and the-making-of-prettier-pictures as all the information gets added back in.  But the smudges will probably end up being more obvious.

Still, it's pure (dwarf-)planetary pr0n!  I covered my walls with Mandelbrot Set posters when I was at university, but these days I'd probably consider that too clichéd (moreso than it probably already was, back then) and instead snap up this kind of thing.  (I've had a deep-field starscape poster above my bed right now, but it has had to compete with a lot of Escher and Discworld-themed prints, decoration-wise, for more than a decade, now, so I'd hardly say its a current trend.)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 15, 2015, 04:42:45 pm »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 15, 2015, 05:19:33 pm »

suborbital delivery when
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 15, 2015, 08:04:04 pm »

exclusive first delivery test picture!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:09:49 pm by redwallzyl »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 15, 2015, 09:09:18 pm »

0/10 package turned into obsidian
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 232