Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 290366 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1530 on: January 25, 2016, 10:40:01 pm »

Difficult to quantify. That is like comparing newtons to pascals. ;)

If we hold that 1 Hitler has a value of 6 million dead jews, while 1 Stalin has a value of 20 million total dead people (not of military service)-- There are approximately 3 Hitlers to 1 Stalin conversion rate.

This means that there are approximately 333,333,333.3 femtostalins to one megahitler.

Bear in mind that fast and loose conversions like this is how you crash space probes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: January 25, 2016, 11:07:00 pm »

you ever seen how piano string tension is represented?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: January 26, 2016, 05:11:10 am »

you ever seen how piano string tension is represented?
Isn't in MicroMaos?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: January 26, 2016, 06:53:42 am »

I was really into the "what would happen to the solar system if the sun was instantaneously replaced by a black hole of equal mass including plasma toroid " debate but then it segued into the effects on planetary formation of dark black hole Suns.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: January 26, 2016, 06:59:27 am »

If we hold that 1 Hitler has a value of 6 million dead jews, while 1 Stalin has a value of 20 million total dead people (not of military service)-- There are approximately 3 Hitlers to 1 Stalin conversion rate.

This means that there are approximately 333,333,333.3 femtostalins to one megahitler.

Bear in mind that fast and loose conversions like this is how you crash space probes.

You're going to be off on the value of Hitlers. He killed 6 million Jews, but he also killed 6 million other "undesirables".
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: January 26, 2016, 07:04:35 am »

but not by much, since Stalin killed another 20 million that were in military service.  Still approx 3:1 ratio hitlers to stalins.

the big thing is that it is a rough approximation to say it is 3:1 when it is really 2.8something to 1.

Thankfully nobody measures things in those units anyway. ;)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: January 26, 2016, 07:14:15 am »

Guys please. Don't they teach you the international despotic system of weight and measurements in school?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: January 26, 2016, 07:50:06 am »

Here's a thought: what would happen in a system with an antimatter sun and matter planets? I don't recall there being such a thing as an antiphoton, so would there be low enough matter exchange to avoid chaos?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: January 26, 2016, 08:08:40 am »

Here's a thought: what would happen in a system with an antimatter sun and matter planets? I don't recall there being such a thing as an antiphoton, so would there be low enough matter exchange to avoid chaos?

Given the amount of energy that would get released for any matter/antimatter interaction (mass involved times c2!), I think we'd be screwed pretty quickly just as soon as any anti-matter solar wind hits us, or (assuming it escaped the same solar-wind fate) the first sun-skimming comet hits the star's outer atmosphere.

One of the big arguments against the possibility of parts of our universe being entirely antimatter equivalents (to try to explain why everything we see appears to be overwhelmingly matter, rather than the 50:50 that you'd perhaps expect got generated from the initial energy-to-mass of the Big Bang) is that we're not seeing massive ribbons of glowing energy from the parts of the universe where the matter-zones and the antimatter-zones 'touch', however tenuously.

I don't think the "anti-sun" system would be anywhere near as destructive than the Proton Earth, Electron Moon situation (which is entirely due to the moon being entirely made of electrons!, ignoring completely the role of the protons), but I suspect it would still be dangerous.  As in a "not as lethal as being 1AU from a supernova, but still as lethal as a hydrogen bomb pressed to your eyeball" kind of level.  But I'm willing to be corrected about this...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:16:46 am by Starver »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: January 26, 2016, 09:08:14 am »

Quote from: Science Website
Question

Ali and Steve, Australia asked:

Is there an antimatter equivalent to light?
Answer

Dave - In some sense it does. There is an antimatter equivalent to a photon. It’s not an antiphoton. If you have two photons you know are in exactly the opposite phase they can cancel each other out. As far as we know the photon is its own antiparticle.
From here.

Anyway, been on the esoteric side of space, all nice and trippy.

Superfluid Vacuum Theory
Holographic Principle
Loop quantum gravity
EP=EPR

Combined, they equal an existence that is spawned from a single electron that is quantumly entangled with itself for yottamillenia.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: January 26, 2016, 09:38:41 am »

Huuuuuh?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: February 03, 2016, 06:07:06 pm »

The Duchy of Grand Fenwick is going into space!.

(More or less...)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: February 03, 2016, 06:33:56 pm »

The issue with backing commercial ventures is that from what I recall the space treaty dictates that any minerals from space must benefit all mankind, which means either the companies have to make a very convincing case, lie through their teeth, or break the treaty.
Isn't the treaty between governments rather than applying to the whole of humanity?

Register HQ in country that did not sign Space Asshole Prevention act

???

Profit.

someone help send me space pictures to wash out the cynical
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: February 03, 2016, 06:43:17 pm »

The issue with backing commercial ventures is that from what I recall the space treaty dictates that any minerals from space must benefit all mankind, which means either the companies have to make a very convincing case, lie through their teeth, or break the treaty.
As I understand it, that applies to governments (and Luxembourg is among those ratified) from claiming sovereignty over celestial bodies, but that wouldn't actually stop a company with a space-presence (or a national space-agency?) from using the resources of said bodies.

May even help, with no form of jurisdiction or 'ownership'... if you can get your minerbot onto the body, there's nobody else who can officially complain that you're trespassing on their 'land'.  But you also couldn't complain when another mining company comes along and started its own operation on a body that you don't officially own.  So long as no spacecraft (possession retained by the State, or perhaps now the company, that originally launched it) is actively interfered with by another spacecraft.

But that might be a simplistic reading of it...  The first few test-cases will be interesting, I have no doubt.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: February 04, 2016, 07:55:34 am »

That asshole statement of benefits of space along with the no nukes in space because "you'll pollute space" (fucking hippies, God how I hate them with white hot passion) are to be revised and corrected the moment we get more space presence.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 232