Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.6%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.8%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1073685 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Special People: Slow Mo
« Reply #3405 on: February 06, 2015, 08:27:16 pm »

Survival

Survival

"Uhhhhghhh..."

I had a tommy gun at one point.  If I still do, fire like crazy at the car behind us.  If it needs ammo, make some and fire behind us.  If I don't have it at all, start summoning and throwing backwards frag grenades.
Survival

Keep driving. Try to blast away any large projectile that I'm unable to dodge away from.
Bryan survival

Try to make a telekinetic push to the lower front of the car with the characters in it.

Now, what happens next is a bit complicated and happens in the span of a few seconds. But I will try to explain to the best of my ability.

Imagine everything happening in slow motion. The illumination on the cars slowly getting brighter and then darker as they pass through the dark gaps between the light spots provided by the lights attached on the tunnels walls. Particles of smoke and fire, slowly drifting away from the lead car's engine where the exhaust pipes have become detached. The pistons moving up and down, causing the engine to slowly move left and right. Droplets of water being pushed upwards by the car's wheels, drifting through the air, exploding against the hull of the pursuing car and then sliding backwards until they leave it and fall to the ground again.

John attempts to summon some ammo for his gun while the gunner of the pursuing car readies his rocket launcher, trying to get the lead car in his sights. John only manages to get two rounds, assembling them out of three simple pieces that are being manifested straight into the barrel and the magazine of his tommygun as he moves it to take aim.

They both fire at the same time. John's attempt is hampered by the driver of the pursuing car noticing his attempt. He turns the wheel, sending the car towards the left, just a second before John fires. The same cannot be said about the rocket now heading towards the car, leaving a trail of fire and smoke behind it.

At about the same time, Bryan makes a last ditch effort to push the car and cause it to crash. He is successful, but his attempt is short lived. Unfortunately for him, his hands slip on the wet metal. He falls off, impacting the asphalt at the same time the driver decides to dodge. The rear wheel of the car drives over his already injured body at high speed, fatally rearranging his insides in a burst of blood and guts and quickly rendering him still-tumbling roadkill.

Meanwhile, the rocket impacts the road underneath the car, sending fire and debris everywhere. That, combined with several other factors (such as Bryan's attack and the overall instability of the car) is enough to overwhelm Saevus' driving skills. The car looses traction and turns right. It crashes headfirst into the wall and starts tumbling along its side, throwing pieces of it everywhere. Some of those pieces happen to be pieces of its creator, John. More specifically pieces of John's head. Pieces he probably needs to stay alive. The disadvantages of a missing roll cage.

The car stops tumbling and starts slowing down in the midst of the police roadblock, illuminated by flashlights held under handguns, searchlights attached on the sides of car doors and red and blue rotating lights. The light reflected by the puddles of water on the ground and the raindrops falling in slow motion creates a majestic display.

In contrast to that light show outside, inside, the lights on Saevus' armour flicker and fade. He can feel his life force leaving him. The last thing he remembers is the screeching of tires trying and failing to brake on the wet road, the headlights of a car getting brighter as they head towards him and then nothing.

<Desynchronized.>

((Sooo... That happened. If that didn't do a very good job of explaining what happened, I believe you can figure it out if you cross reference it with the rolls provided.))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm on a boat!
((I'll just make some simplified rolls so we can get on with it.))

You run through the wall, through the glass window at the front of the store and make a beeline for the police station, going straight through the garage's entrance, running as fast as you can.

As is to be expected, even with the rain helping to conceal you, you are spotted and soon there are three heavily armed men firing at you from the windows of the police station, with two more chasing after you. You manage to evade their fire by hiding behind cars and make your way through the lot without injury.

You finally reach the small pier where police used to tether their boats. There are only a couple of civilian boats there, modified with extra search lights and some sort of fireman's ladder attached. One of it even has a machinegun nest. You can see a cargo ship out in the open sea that is moving closer to the channel, briefly illuminated by lightning.

You choose one of the boats at random. It is empty, but unfortunately, it lacks a key. You untie it from the pier anyway and push it away, hoping the stream will carry you away. Your pursuers catch up to you while you do so.

They open fire on the vessel. You manage to get to cover but the boat's thin walls are easily penetrated. One of the bullet goes through your gut. You try your best to stop the bleeding, but you can't manage to do so before you fall unconscious. You die on the floor, laying in an expanding pool of blood.

<Desynchronized.>

The night went as it should. Sure, there were some setbacks, but those are to be expected. In the end you succeeded, just like you were supposed to do.

Managing it still takes effort though. The others can take care of the little things, but you have to double check them, to research them, make sure there is nothing they missed. The world runs on details. On signs. All one has to do is keep their eyes open.

"Our contacts in the military say they will be making their move soon."
Ah. You had almost forgotten about him. You look up from the pictures laying on a bed of heavy old tomes open in various pages.
"The media confirm it. They are massing for an attack."
"Good. Let them attack."
"Sir?"
You can tell from his eyes that he doesn't understand. He'll know before the end. He'll get to see it. Understand it. You'll make sure. He deserves it, for the aid he has provided you with.
"Have them strike sooner if you can."
"But Sir! If they move in, we will not be able to hold the island for long. Isn't controlling the city why we took the island in the first place? The men there-"
"Yes, it is. And now we have no use for it anymore. The military will come in and make a mess of things like they always do."
And a bigger mess means less room for answers. Especially when you can make any inconveniences "disappear".

"Now tell me what really interests me. Did you find what I was looking for?"
"Uh... From what I can tell they knew nothing. We saw no sign of the vessel. And their actions did not seem to align with- Uh..."
You know what he is afraid to say. That your vision was wrong. But you know for certain. Your visions have never been wrong before.  They can not be wrong. The world itself speaks to you.
"Um... I mean, our men could not notice anything important about them, although there's always the chance there's something they missed, I-"
You raise a hand to make him stop talking.
"What's their location?"
"Only one of them survived. One of the ones we had managed to turn against the others. He is currently making his way out of the city."
Hm. That's interesting. Perhaps it is the sign you've been searching for.
"Transfer the money to him, as promised. But make sure our two friends keep an eye on him. If he figures out the tracker or if he tries to find out more about what happened, have them contact me."
Those simple demons were useful things. Taking advantage of their rituals to force them to accept you as their new master was easy once your body and mind changed. After all, who better to serve the chosen of the gods then their messengers?
"And bring me all information you can gather on him."
"Yes Sir!"
Those servants, those trusted ones, those who the most corrupt and ruthless of this world had trusted with their lives, they are somehow linked with your quest. Your vision showed you as much.

"What should we do with the others? Their masters? There could still be info we could recover about their 'business' and controlling-"
"They are of no use to us once the ritual is complete and the gate is open. Get rid of them. Their men and 'businesses' will be taken care of soon enough, if they haven't been already."
The man looks a bit surprised.
"Like I said, we are going to be improving this city. And the first thing to fixing something is taking out the trash. We will remove those parasites to make it strong again."
And give me room to work to complete the change this world needs. He may think you are doing this for power, for control, but this is not your goal.

You get up and start walking towards the window.

You do not care about money, power, all those petty things. Never did. But when you were chosen, you realized there was so much more to this world. A purpose, just for you. A way to fix the past.

Soon, the gates shall be open and the gods shall enter this world once more. The agents of nature will bend to your will. They will exterminate humanity and all its imperfections. In its place a new world will be given birth. The next stage in the evolution of humanity, with you as the patriarch of the new species. A never-changing world of perpetual bliss.

You look out the window, at the still rising smoke coming from the island, at the sun rising from the horizon creating golden reflections in the sea.
"A new day has dawned."
And the end draws near.

<Desynchronization complete.>

OOC
((Well, that's it. Good game everyone. Hope it was fun.

I'll be a bit busy until next weekend. If I find some time, I'll do the end-of-mission stuff then, otherwise I'll do it next weekend. Might make some campaign turns if I can.

Irrelevant: Like old games? Because this looks like fun: https://www.humblebundle.com/?20150203
I remember having fun playing some of those games. Some of them I didn't even play the full game, just some demos that came with PC Gamer CDs.
I need to go get a credit card. Or some bitcoin...

EDIT: Noticed that some words were eaten again. Tried to fix it, not sure if I got them all.))
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:17:44 pm by Parisbre56 »

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: February 06, 2015, 10:12:27 pm »

((I apologize for not posting. Internet went out for a couple of days.))

<In the rubble of the city we blew up, along with ourselves. River just revived you. Right now it's just River, Ike, me, and you alive>
I stay low to the table and hope that I won't get buffeted too hard by Zech's twisting about.

Zechariah exhaled through his nose and closed his eyes.

Spoiler: Zechariah's muse (click to show/hide)

"...live," he murmured. Zechariah gritted his teeth and kept his eyes closed for a few more moments. Finally, he open his eyes and looked on impassively.

"Okay. Where are the others, and how can we get them back too? And where are we going next?"

"Here!" he says, as if the answer explains everything.
He moves away from your face and points around at the dark small storage room filled with slightly ash-covered rock furniture, illuminated by the light coming through a door.
"In the city. With Irine and me." he adds, gesturing at the three tailed fox laying beside you.
"I will find something for the cold!" he declares and starts to move away from you.

Zechariah blinks again and says, "Okay then.. thanks."

He's oddly... cheery. I really hope that this is how the rest of the entities normally are.
I would like that a lot. It would make my life easier - well, my
second life easier...

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: February 06, 2015, 10:14:56 pm »

I died. :(. Hopefully next time I'll be able to use my power more  and not get in as bad a situation, or at least not as badly injured at the beginning of the game. This was fun, thanks for letting me play.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: February 07, 2015, 01:18:18 am »

<River hid their soul spheres, I think we'll go back to the cave he hid them in to rest tonight. It's a lot of work to revive someone.>
I stay lying down on the table, resting and waiting for the dizziness and unease to fade.

after River has left the area, I ask:
<Zech, did I do the right thing when I stopped River?>
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:20:25 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: February 07, 2015, 02:32:57 am »

<River hid their soul spheres, I think we'll go back to the cave he hid them in to rest tonight. It's a lot of work to revive someone.>
I stay lying down on the table, resting and waiting for the dizziness and unease to fade.

after River has left the area, I ask:
<Zech, did I do the right thing when I stopped River?>

Zechariah sighs once again. He didn't think that he was particularly good at "right or wrong" questions, but he would try his best to answer.
<We didn't know what would happen. We knew there would be an explosion, but not how powerful it would be. You and I thought we could contain it, that all of us together could fight it. You weren't wrong in thinking that. We could have stood together and held it back, maybe solving multiple problems at once. It was a great risk, but we took it anyways.

Things don't always go to plan. With risks, no matter how small the chance of danger, you accept that there is a possibility of total failure. River wanted to ensure that we could - that we would escape and regroup later.
The truth is that there was no solid right or wrong with what we did. We thought that we would be able to defend against the explosion, but we got it wrong, and we couldn't have measured that.

I'm rambling, I know. What I mean is that you did what you thought made sense to you. We might die doing what we do, but I think that you already know what the risk is with that.

What about you, though? Do you think that you did the right thing by stopping River, or did you endanger us all?>

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: February 07, 2015, 02:42:42 am »

<I think I did the right thing the wrong way.>
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: February 07, 2015, 03:21:07 pm »

<I think I did the right thing the wrong way.>

<But.. you couldn't have predicted what the outcome was. You did what you believed was best, and while it didn't turn out as well as we would have liked, we're still here, right?

I mean, yeah.. it's really tough. Everything that was alive in this city died because of our mistakes. But we're alive and we'll be able to revive the others. Maybe, we took out the portal and the parasites also. It's definitely not the most desirable outcome, but given our luck, I think we could have done a whole lot worse.
River's passionate, too. Moreso than the other entities that I've encountered. There was also a chance that, had he died, we may not have been able to recover his soulsphere, and how would Theri have been affected by that? Your heart's in the right place. Maybe we all need a bit of fixing in the head, but.. you didn't do wrong.>

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: February 07, 2015, 03:35:03 pm »

<The ends don't justify the means. I was ready to murder Theri, to burn her alive and hear her screams of pain as it happened, in order to control River and take away his ability, his right, to choose what to do with his life. That. Is. Wrong.>

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3413 on: February 07, 2015, 04:56:03 pm »

Campaign

Lenglon & DAF
River comes out of the back of the store a while later, holding a giant stack of expensive looking clothes, using his head to keep them balanced.
"I found many. In one of those rock boxes."
He dumps them unceremoniously on a chaise longue. He keeps looking at them.
"Choose what is comfortable."
He holds a tyrian purple shirt up and looks at it for a moment, as if pondering whether or not he should buy it. He tosses it aside a few seconds later and starts quickly walking out of the room. He pauses at the threshold.
"... Do you feel you can move? Or do you need more rest?" he says without turning around to face you.

OOC
I died. :(. Hopefully next time I'll be able to use my power more  and not get in as bad a situation, or at least not as badly injured at the beginning of the game. This was fun, thanks for letting me play.
Yeah, I feel kind of bad because you really made an effort while trying to have fun. You just got unlucky with your choices.

Next mission you can choose something more close quarters combat oriented. Maybe something during the late medieval period? Or even antiquity. Or some sort of sci-fi/fantasy setting where guns are worthless.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: February 07, 2015, 05:24:05 pm »

<I think so, um, could one of you pick out a set of clothes for me? I'd like to have some but I think I should stay full-fox for now.>
I stand up and see how dizzy I am, if I'm ok, then I hop down and walk over to River. If not, then I stay standing there for a couple moments and see if the world stops spinning.

if I still can't be sure I'll land safely from hopping off the table, then:
<Um, never mind. I... could one of you carry me?>

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: February 07, 2015, 07:05:04 pm »

"Thanks, River. I appreciate it." Zechariah moved to his feet unsteadily and went to pick out some clothes for himself. He wasn't particularly choosy about what he wore as long as he basically had a jacket, shirt, and pants. After looking through the clothes, he settled and put on a long-sleeved blue dress shirt, a quarter-zip black sweater, and some black slacks to match. Though it wasn't the most form-fitting, it was pretty nice given the circumstances.

"I'll get something for you, Irine." He spends a minute or so looking for something that would be practical for her to wear. The range for selection was somewhat small, but he did his best to find something that wasn't entirely extravagant. After finding something that looked decent, he went over to Irine and presented her with the clothes: a white-and-purple shirtdress that is tied with a strip of fabric at the waist, a pair of black leggings, and a light, dark-grey coat. Although the clothing doesn't seem to match all that well, it would seem to be fine enough for moving around a lot if necessary.

"Would this be alright for you?" He checks behind him to see if River is nearby or not and then leans in closer, whispering to Irine.
"Anything you would have done to stop him would have been going against his free will. The only way not to was to let him go and sacrifice himself. I'm not saying that threatening Theri was the right answer, but what else could you have done to get his attention? We didn't have time. I hate it also. I would never encourage violence, ever. But do you think that we could have guaranteed that we would have saved River's soulsphere, even in the chaos? That we wouldn't have died anyways due to some other stupid reason?

I know free will means a lot to you. I know it seems absolutely wrong that you did what you did back there. But you were forced to make a decision under the threat of life or death for everyone involved. It's not always going to be black and white, light or dark. We're all going to have to take some dangerous risks, make some terrible sacrifices sometimes. It hurts to do so, but we're all still here - at least, we'll all be here soon.

If you still feel like you betrayed River, I would talk to him about it. Explain why you did what you did and see what his reaction is. I can't guarantee that he'll forgive you, but at least you might be able to sleep a little better knowing that you told him the truth behind the decision you made."

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: February 07, 2015, 07:36:02 pm »

Cool game, just read through it and it's really impressive how you did it.
PTW
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: February 07, 2015, 08:11:33 pm »

PTW
If you want to join, now's a good time since the survival mission just ended.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: February 07, 2015, 08:34:21 pm »

<I think that would be nice, thank you.>

To Zech alone:<We already had that talk. I think he'll forgive me. That doesn't make it right. I just can't think of what I should have done instead.>

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: February 07, 2015, 08:59:39 pm »

PTW
If you want to join, now's a good time since the survival mission just ended.
((Yhea, I'm thinking about it, first stumbling block there, however, is the special power.
How about... A magical sacrificial dagger that causes no pain when a cut is inflicted and heals any wound caused by itself nearly instantly but if you impale yourself through the chest with it and speak the name of an emotion like anger, empathy or fear, a fully formed clone will come out of the wound having only those emotions available. If it is killed then character A loses that emotion permanently.
Perhaps not, however, might be a touch powerful.

What about the ability to near freely change the shape, size, or space of anything not seen while the machine or creature changed will show absolutely no effects until the change has been shown, as in, he could change it so his heart is positioned inside his foot with no negative side effects until any part of his body is opened up or the heart is seen, at which point everything changed then must adhere to whatever reality is in effect at the time, so suddenly he dies from the fact that his heart is completely unable to fit inside his foot and the blood cannot be pumped properly throughout the body, or he could change...
Nah, nah, too weird of an ability, I don't have the imagination to make the most of it.

Well, I'll see if I can put in a character sheet, but it'll take a while of thinking.))
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 521