Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 153112 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.
« Reply #1080 on: September 21, 2016, 02:39:07 pm »

This brawl is bad but it is a good way for new players to get their quests done.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: September 21, 2016, 10:55:37 pm »

Alright, looks like I've hit that point where most packs are 20+dust. Got up to 1725 dust and the following (non-adventure) legendaries:

*Princess Huhuran
*Antonidas
*Rag, Lightlord
*Al'Akir
*Grom Hellscream
*Bloodmage Thalnos
*King Mukla (vanilla)

I think I'm basically 2 Call of the Wilds off from a solid midrange hunter deck. Other than that I don't really have a short-term goal.

Current meta too fast to craft Firelord Rag? Sylvanas seems to be the best on average evergreen card for the most decks and all that. I JUST reset my pity timer (38 classic packs) so I probably won't be getting new legs for a while. Thoughts? I'll probably save up for a while before I work on any new decks, but opinions are welcome.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: September 21, 2016, 11:29:25 pm »

Current meta too fast to craft Firelord Rag?

Old school rag does seem some play in dragon warrior, which even though it's not quite up to it's pre-karazan heights yet is I think a favorite of mine to shake out to be somewhere on top of the meta. (and even in the current not quite stale meta it's still a high quality deck.) if you really like the card that deck might be worth looking into, otherwise, yeah, rag is rarely appropriate. Not to mention with Grom you've got the other most expensive card in the deck (well, some of them run deathwing, not the new one ether! But I wouldn't make such a card myself tbh.)

Like you say though, sylvanas is a lot more general use, although I still wouldn't craft her without a deck in mind.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: September 21, 2016, 11:32:12 pm »

Sylvanas is definitely a good choice in all cases. You have some really good legs, with only Mukla that isn't very useful. If you want to craft and use Sylvanas, go for it. Otherwise, you can wait to see a deck that catches your eyes (Malygos, Ysera, etc)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: September 21, 2016, 11:55:59 pm »

I think Rag and Sylvanas are pretty equal, although they're less ubiquitous than before because you don't need them in Shaman and all the spell decks are off doing their own thing.

Speaking of which I think the God of Death is a serious consideration at this point

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: September 22, 2016, 12:31:10 am »

The god of death ?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: September 22, 2016, 12:58:26 am »

This brawl is bad but it is a good way for new players to get their quests done.
I guess I should put some more effort into grinding my hunter to 20, then, despite all of my quests being shit.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: September 22, 2016, 01:03:04 am »

In my opinion, the order is Sylvanas>Rag>Ysera. Those are the only legendaries I crafted.
Sylvanas goes first in my book simply because it's good for more deck archetypes than the other two. If you're a big dragon fan, I guess you can go for Ysera before Rag.
Another handy legendary is Thalnos, but I probably wouldn't craft it. You're lucky you got it from a pack.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: September 22, 2016, 01:22:04 am »

The god of death ?

Assuming that's Yogg'Saron (his entry quote). I'm torn on that one just because it's a bonus "maybe I'll win anyway" hail mary as opposed to sylvanas which comes earlier and has a bit more general use.

I also don't have more than 1 wing of BRM, so no flamewankers for tempo mage or a big chunk of the dragons for a dragon deck. Not sure I can justify spending the gold on something that rotates out soon vs saving for a lot of packs when the next expansion launches. Ysera isn't really on the list for me for that reason.

Another handy legendary is Thalnos, but I probably wouldn't craft it. You're lucky you got it from a pack.

Yeah, he's great on my spellpower midrange shaman. There's basically no bad outcome for playing him, it was a nice pull.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: September 22, 2016, 08:30:47 am »

Assuming that's Yogg'Saron (his entry quote). I'm torn on that one just because it's a bonus "maybe I'll win anyway" hail mary as opposed to sylvanas which comes earlier and has a bit more general use.
Yogg is actually a lot more than that, and it's critical to the new tier 1 spell based Druid decks. Basically if you think about it almost every spell in the game is:
- Neutral: As in, whether it's beneficial depends on what it hits like direct damage, the effect is symmetrical like board clears or the spell will probably do nothing like forbidden cards. Note that if you play Yogg onto a board where your opponent has a bunch of stuff (which is the normal mode) the targeted damage spells are slightly positive, since they'll mostly hit hostile minions.
- Positive: Always good for you - spells that summon minions, secrets, card draw, armor gain, removal that can only target enemy minions and so on.
- A mixture of the two above categories - for example some of the portals from Karazhan have a neutral targeted element followed by a positive minion summoning part.

The only real exceptions I can think of are Mulch, Soulfire, Naturalize (which are all a negative effect attached to a neutral one) and Astral which is the one consistently bad outcome. Since these are so hugely outnumbered by positive effects each spell Yogg casts is gaining you a significant amount of value, and when you stack enough of those together you get a card that can consistently swing even the most hopeless situations back in your favour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BfZ8VpPzz0
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:32:42 am by Leafsnail »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: September 22, 2016, 11:09:19 am »

Yogg can also pyroblast you in the face and lose the game for you.

In general terms, there's 3 gamestates: You're ahead, you're behind, and the board is roughly even.

If you're ahead and you play Yogg, you either win more or run the risk of clearing your own board/backstabbing you in the face. It's not a good risk to take.

If the board is neutral, the benefits are - on average - positive. You can generally rely on Yogg to clear the board and draw you cards, but you can still get the pyroblast to the face and die or draw into fatigue. Flip a coin and hail mary.

If the board is bad and you're behind, Yogg can either make you win, even up the board, or kill you anyway. This is the best average list - killing you didn't alter the games outcome.

That's a huge pile of variance compared to Sylvanas, who always demands an answer and doesn't require spells to fuel the card. Even if you're ahead Sylv can only help you.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: September 22, 2016, 11:15:58 am »

Yogg can also pyroblast you in the face and lose the game for you.
This is only if you consider a single game. The effect it has on most games is positive enough to outweigh the few ones where it's bad (especially considering it's mostly used as a comeback mechanic).

Also, Sylvanas if you're behind won't help you. They'll just go full face.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: September 22, 2016, 11:46:13 am »

Sylvanas is always good. She goes in pretty much every deck that isn't FaceFaceFace. She's the queen of forcing really awkward plays and sometimes she just outright wins the game because she steals something really good, like say the opponent's Sylvanas.

Yogg is a mulligan for the game. Unless your board is several minions, or you're out of cards to draw and about to fatigue, he's almost always a net gain, sometimes gamewinningly so. Sometimes he just straight up ends the game by buffing himself and charging into the opponent's face or something. You play him when you're done with the game one way or another and that's that.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: September 22, 2016, 12:58:23 pm »

My point is that Yogg isn't a "Hail Mary" or a last resort, in an appropriate deck it will swing a game massively in your favour almost all of the time. You're not flipping a coin, you're rolling a d20 and getting an amazing result on everything other than a 1.

The only times you wouldn't play it is if you have a healthy board lead or if you're running out of cards.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:00:29 pm by Leafsnail »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: September 22, 2016, 03:07:16 pm »

I guess I'm not entirely sold on Yogg just from my own experience against it. I've seen him outright win a game for my opponent maybe twice. Lots of mediocre/no effect plays (like a lot of single target spells cast at an empty board), and the hilarious betrayal a couple times. Maybe it would be different if I had a spell druid, but I think I'm somewhat light on the druid spell cards. I also don't have flamewankers so I can't tempo yogg mage well, and I lack call of the wilds for Yogg n' Load.

So, Legendary for a single deck. if I did that, I'd probably craft Malygos for rogue/shaman shenanigans. I may just sit on the dust for a while longer, won't have the chance to play HS too much til December in any case.

Unrelated, anyone tried menagerie/zoo druid since Kara came out? I don't think it's competitive really, but it's fun for quests in casual.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 109