Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169426 times)

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1575 on: May 02, 2014, 06:39:37 pm »

The other option for coke farming is a patch of peat. You can make infinite amount of compact peat to burn into coke.

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: May 02, 2014, 07:48:19 pm »

Okay, even so many failures, I think I am ready to share with you guys some of my experiences.

1 - Never embark on a tranquil area. In my experience, only small animals inhabit those areas, and you might not be able to slaughter their corpses for meat and bones, which is the center of your early economy. Seek for wilderness if possible. Only go to Untamed Wilderness if you're ready for some pain. Edit: Those will generally have predators, but as long you keep your necros and bones safe somewhere, your ghouls have little to fear. Also, never saw a predator that couldn't be butchered, so, yeah, more reliable than tranquil habitats.

2 - Since hunting is unreliable at best, try to build the graveyard as soon as possible and make a necromancer farm corpses there. Corpses are more important early on (because they bear meat, if I am correct) than souls, even though those are necessary for you to reach higher tiers in your game.

3 - Try to begin the game with at least two warlocks. Besides the fact that if you lose all your warlocks you're good as dead, two will allow you to search corpses and produce ether stuff at the same time. Edit: Also, two warlocks means they will bring with them 4 pets which, if butchered, will give you more than enough souls to build the Ether Gate and start your tower.

4 - Warlocks are extremely frail early on. Resist the urge to put them to fight alongside your ghouls as spellcasters. I don't even bother to bring staves anymore...

Now, three questions: ghouls only eat raw meat, or they can eat cooked meat? Do they eat rotten meat? And fish counts as meat?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:58:43 pm by RodriguesSting »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: May 02, 2014, 07:58:25 pm »

Now, three questions: ghouls only eat raw meat, or they can eat cooked meat? Do they eat rotten meat? And fish counts as meat?

Any unrotten meat (if by rotten you mean the kind producing miasma,) will work, and fish indeed counts as meat, as some kobold camps can subsist on fish alone for a long time if needed/until the fish runs out.

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: May 02, 2014, 08:00:38 pm »

Any unrotten meat (if by rotten you mean the kind producing miasma,) will work, and fish indeed counts as meat, as some kobold camps can subsist on fish alone for a long time if needed/until the fish runs out.

Then I will cook everything, to be safe, since cooked food last a bit longer (and as a bonus, makes your denizens happy).

Now, the fish must be cleansed, or they eat it raw? Also, makes me happy to know it, because now I know I will have a reliable source of food for the hard times.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: May 02, 2014, 08:23:53 pm »

if I recall correctly all "vermin" fish need to go to the fish cleaner before they can be used. And don't get too reliant on it, I think that bug with vermin fish is still present and it may run out at literally the worst time.

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: May 02, 2014, 09:33:43 pm »

What? Are you crazy? Souls are great early on! Build a clay oven designate a spot to collect clay and put a crafter nearby. Infinite rock hourglasses to store all your souls in. Pick the guy you want as your overlord and feed him all the souls you collect max strength, agility, toughness, speed, and endurance, for an overpowered one man army. Though I'm not sure what the max even is last time I got my overlord to around 8 to 9 thousand in each of those stats. Speed isn't shown on therapist though so dunno how high hi got that to.

Granted this take a lot of souls. The way to get a lot of souls is to kill everything, build skeletons at the necro shrine, build bone carvers x4 to supply bone coffins and bone slabs, then build as many graveyards as possible. You then man these using the skeletons assembled at the shrine. After that just order all graveyards to search for lost souls while you kill whatever comes onto the map with the overpowered overlord.

Btw... Is the overlord bonus a one time deal? Or is it retroactive? Ie if I continue to feed him souls the bonus would be applied to his base stats.

Oh and don't bother with vampires... Pain in the ass to maintain. Not worth it.

Also fish counts as meat so you could extract blood from them at the bloodwinery. Blood is needed for bloodsteel.

As for my earlier problem... The trees saplings just don't get planted again. The farm plots remain empty and the tree saplings harvested are only useful at the wood shredder. Which isn't what I need.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:42:36 pm by Omnicast »

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: May 02, 2014, 09:52:55 pm »

What? Are you crazy?

Noob, but close enough.

My point is you will rarely have a good beginning. You will hardly come to a place with no predators but, like, 20 Giant Harmless Turtles for your ghouls to kill and carve. While feeding your overlord/warlock (I believe you must have the throne room for the overlord bonus to take effect) will give you a pretty awesome fighter, it would take like, 2 years at least constantly working at the graveyard before I even consider using him against invaders, while scavenging for corpses will net you bones (for both skeletons and weaponry) and meat (to feed the mostly living part of your population). Also, learning.

Since I am kinda of a wussy in this game, I take the safe rout, at least for the beginning. When I have a tower with a completely closed underground complex for 4 cemeteries, I will consider using them only for souls, which would be about midgame.

Edit: Also, if your overlord dies, even if resurrected, he will not be able to hold the position again. So, yeah, the stronger he may be, the unthinkable tends to happen in Dwarf Fortress, therefore, I would rather use him as a last line of defense.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:55:04 pm by RodriguesSting »

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: May 02, 2014, 10:15:39 pm »

We'll you could always make a squad of. Skeletons to send into battle before you send your overlord. Use the skeletons as a bone shield... Can't say meat shields cause don't have any! Ha! Also old corpses don't give meat. Only bones and a skull.

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 02, 2014, 10:27:18 pm »

So just a reliable source of bone for basic armor.

Blast.

Well then, hunting it is. Always embark at wilderness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: May 02, 2014, 10:36:32 pm »

Or bring some prefab (for convenience; not like anything your embark crew makes will be much better anyway and whips are fairly cheap if made from cheap materials,) lasher weapons for a couple ghouls, go to an untamed wilds area, and let them have at whatever shows up. A giant weasel is much better prey than a normal one after all.

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 02, 2014, 10:38:25 pm »

Bones are used for armor/weapons/furniture/skeletons/glue/Ironbone/ash... pretty much everything.

Also for warlocks it's better to use squads to kill wildlife. Use ghouls with Scourges and Flails. Scourges are for unarmored enemies like wildlife. Flails is for armored enemies like dwarfs. Though in the next version Meph might change it to Claws.

Zhorker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 03, 2014, 04:43:43 am »

Is it intentional that you can make zombies from stacks of 2 bones? Also, is it actually possible for the mod to re-assign skeletons to squads when you regain control of them?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:45:58 am by Zhorker »

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: May 03, 2014, 07:32:52 am »

So I was messing around with the reactions for warlocks say... Adding a batch reaction for wood>coke and tried to add a new creature summoning reaction in the demonic attorney building.

Now my question is how do I determine what gender I get with the creature summon? I just copied the reaction for summoning a hellhound then I replaced the creature's name with "BARGHEST" (is that even the right name? Trying to summon the tamed pets warlocks sometimes get for another source of meat/bones/soul).

Kiefatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 03, 2014, 08:05:13 am »

Watchout on Untamed Wilds, some of the giant animals will eat your ghouls whole. Wilderness would be the best. The real problem is how animals are spawned, and that a new set only comes when the old set goes away. Thus, sometimes you'll get waves of meat followed by more waves of meat, and then difficult to kill birds, one after another.

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: May 03, 2014, 08:14:45 am »

Watchout on Untamed Wilds, some of the giant animals will eat your ghouls whole. Wilderness would be the best. The real problem is how animals are spawned, and that a new set only comes when the old set goes away. Thus, sometimes you'll get waves of meat followed by more waves of meat, and then difficult to kill birds, one after another.

That's why I agree on embarking on Wilderness. They will always have predators (but at least not as big as Untamed Wilderness), that will always bear some bone and meat. So, besides a kind of animal that may or may not bear meat (passive animals, that may be too small to butcher), you will get one that will always do (because if they are big enough to fight, they are big enough to be butchered).
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 110