Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll atm

:)
:(

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 110

Author Topic: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 169458 times)

fedobear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [WARLOCK] - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1590 on: May 03, 2014, 12:02:24 pm »

More ideals for Meph:

demons and creatures:
gorgon style creature that can petrify. Perhaps permanent petrification would be OP unless the cost is high or only works against weak opponents, so maybe temporary?
bonus points if it spawns a "statue" mob on top of the afflicted creature (the way that control crystals are technically creatures), that when destroyed/shattered kills the mob it's linked to. (obviously this statue disappears when the petrification ends. I dont know though, knowing DF, it might already have creatures in that petrify you, and you can turn a creature into a certain material like you can have glass titans which are frail)

Zhorker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: May 03, 2014, 02:19:46 pm »

What is a good way to get drink as warlocks? Bloodwine is inneficient and tedious to mass produce. Is surface crops the way to go here?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: May 03, 2014, 02:22:02 pm »

What is a good way to get drink as warlocks? Bloodwine is inefficient and tedious to mass produce. Is surface crops the way to go here?

Warlocks are fine with water. I usually just use a well. Surface crops would probably work pretty well too.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Zhorker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: May 03, 2014, 02:35:20 pm »

Warlocks are fine with water. I usually just use a well. Surface crops would probably work pretty well too.
Ah, alright. Thanks :3

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: May 03, 2014, 03:29:16 pm »

So, as soon I am capable of surviving in this game (both by getting a relatively lucky embark, and by remembering all the stuff I forgot about Dwarf Fortress), I am already planning how I will build my necromancer tower/fortress. The tower structure will house all the warlocks and witches in the superior levels (with battlements in the outside as fortifications, in case of siege), while the vampires will stay at ground level in a bigger, fortress-like structure that will, at most, reach the first level underground.

Ghouls will stay, at most, three or four levels underground in very compact rooms (3 squares at most), with various exits to the ground level (inside the walls of the complex, of course).

Skeletons will... well, work, at the deep underground (rock layer) or patrol around the fort. I don't need to care too much about them, and I am glad for it.

Now, tell me: how exigent are ghouls in the matter of their accommodations? Can I make them happy with minimal infrastructure?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: May 03, 2014, 03:32:32 pm »

Now, tell me: how exigent are ghouls in the matter of their accommodations? Can I make them happy with minimal infrastructure?

I usually give them rooms full of black ethereal stuff in soil layers. They actually tantrum normally like dwarves, but I just like oppressing my ghouls.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: May 03, 2014, 04:19:47 pm »

You could always burn a eternal rose... Just 25 souls and everyone gets a puff of the fun stuff!!! Get high everyone!

Now... As for my earlier modding attempt... Are hulking black barghests the same as the one some warlock embarks get to take in the beginning?

GunnerX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: May 04, 2014, 05:21:58 am »

Problems I've encountered with Warlocks so far:

1st fort:  evil embark == no butchering, also gargoyles make poor prey.
2nd fort, 4 skele and 3 ghouls embark doesn't work. (haven't seen this problem since V4j).
3rd fort: no skeles, tantrum spiral after ghoul coal dust deaths.
4th fort: abandoned on 4j release
5th fort: skeleton miners "lost" to obsidian farming accident.  smelted enough malachite to create 27 slag, 4 copper, and 1 orichalcum bars.  Not enough metal to make a forge and pick, though as an afterthought, if I had forbid 2 copper prior to making an anvil it might have been recoverable.
6th fort: 3 cougars and 5 zombies swept over and waterfall, zombies drowned(?) cougars didn't. cougars got stuck, no more wildlife...
7th fort: zombies/ghouls stuck in endless wrestling match with armadillos (grabs shell, lets go of shell, ad nauseum.)  Note these are the same zombies that had previously shook a bunch of sun bears in half.
8th fort: crashing
9th fort: 1st siege
10th forts: first siege, (damn dwarves and their metal)
11th fort: Murdered by Sasquatch
12th fort: wildlife in the first 3 seasons was limited to drakes, and flying creatures.  I got a total of 1 soul from a passing kestrel before wandering drakes murdered all my necromancers and half my ghouls.  And that was a calm biome XD

General opinion:  Warlocks need some better form of soul/meat/bone farming other than hunting with it's RNG fiat.  Personally, I think a limited selection of always available pets would be helpful.  After a quick look though raws Blood goats, ravens (+nest boxes and something to do with the feathers), grave cats (with vermin hunting enabled) barghests, and maybe terror bird, nightmares and some sort of wool produce would be ideal.

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: May 04, 2014, 06:06:19 am »

For bones and souls... graveyards. Massive amounts of graveyards. Put them underground with a stairway in the middle and put soul syphons on the layer above or something. Butchery too.

Get bones, build bone crafter, build slabs/coffins, build more graveyards, scour old corpses, scour souls, build skeletons to scour for bones and souls, rinse and repeat. Of course skeletons needs leather to assemble you'll need to kill or butcher something for that.

As for meat... I've been trying to put the Barghests into the Demonic Attorney for 5 souls. Just to be used as a meat/leather source. Not sure if it works yet... I hope it does...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1599 on: May 04, 2014, 06:23:49 am »

Good suggestions and feedback. 4 pages of it. :D

A map wide "storm" that only affects flyers sounds perfect to get rid of the pesky one-bird-blocking-wildlife.

Remember that you can also hunt in the caverns, why did no one mention that? Cavern One is relatively harmless.

Warlocks cant plant/farm wood like other races, its ibtended. They are not the farming type.

Early meat/bone source: Butcher your Mephits. The scales make armor for your Ghouls.

I plan to make prisoners convertible to Warlocks, so that you can try all castes.

Butchering your own civ members is theoretically possible, but only with dfhack and will lead to Ghosts. Not good.

Fedobear: Good suggestions overall,.but one thing I have to say: Warlocks can already learn the paralyse/petrify spell. ;)

Anything I forgot? Oh yeah, If you want an easy embark, embark on a tomb or necromancers tower. Instant army of allies on the map. :)

Voodoo Ghouls... Why not.

Graphics are not tied to caste, but noble position and skill. Thats why Warlocks, Ghouls and Skelwtons all have such specific skill sets.

All of them can do all labors btw, they simply dont get any Xp for most of them. But even Waocks or Skelwtons can butcher and tan, they simply stay "dabbling" and never become a butcher or tanner. But they will do the work.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:27:10 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: May 04, 2014, 10:08:04 am »

That bit of "everyone can do any labor" good to know. At least now I can use my ghouls to fish and my warlocks to cook and clean while I wait for more easy game to show up in the map, which is a relief.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1601 on: May 04, 2014, 11:01:09 am »

Maybe I should make that more clear somewhere. No skill gain, but of course they might do the labor itself, albeit rather slowly.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

fedobear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: May 04, 2014, 01:05:42 pm »

Fedobear: Good suggestions overall,.but one thing I have to say: Warlocks can already learn the paralyse/petrify spell. ;)

A minion that can do petrification without needing training might be an alternative to say people who dont have that library wing ready or don't have the spell reagents.

Warlocks cant plant/farm wood like other races, its ibtended. They are not the farming type.

what about the rest of the plants (strawberry, blade grass, etc)? they are not only available at embark but they are quite farmable.
I wouldn't mind warlocks not being able to do large amounts of surface or food farming, what about an expansion of the "evil plants" and farming mechanics in return for removing surface plants farmability?
I do like the idea of a warlock carefully tending a garden full of weeds and deathly herbs, if so inclined.
Was fiddling with the idea of an "evil" garden requiring an "evil soil". What about special plants that require blood to grow?
There's the issue that blood is a liquid, so maybe a workshop task to create "blood slurry/paste/cake" out of potash and blood, then spreading it over a field, or even a special alternative "blood farm plot". Either way, with blood fertilization or not, more fungi would be interesting.

Talking about fungi, maybe grafting mushrooms onto a ghoul would be an idea, integrated into the "adding extra arms" mechanic. Accentuates the idea of "living rotting beings". Could either raise farming skill or do minor AoE that causes winded in battle.

Anyhow, thanks for looking through our suggestions and reading them, looking forward to the update!

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: May 04, 2014, 01:34:37 pm »

I started my first warlock fort last night and was wondering alternative ways to acquire anvils. I went from the 'getting started' section of the manual that all I needed to bring was Food/Drinks and spent the rest of my points on blocks for making a palisade. I couldn't find a way to create any form of axe or pick and ended up dieing on the surface not long after the 2nd year with no traders.

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: May 04, 2014, 02:37:01 pm »

A meat tree! It grows fruits covered in a leathery hide. After being harvested the fruit needs to be butchered which gives Meat and Hide. It's plant, it's meat, it's Aniplant!

Well what about reworking the prisoner system into a slave system? Too many prisoner/slaves with weapons laying around causes them to rebel. Loyal slaves transforms into servants which doesn't rebel, but require meager quarters and some basic stuff. Slaves will try to run away if given the chance (off map).

Slaves/servants do all the hauling instead of warlocks/ghouls/skeletons or the zombie hauler change. This seems to fit better than souless zombies doing hauler work.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:48:21 pm by Omnicast »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 110