Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32

Author Topic: Iron Diadem, Night One: Things Said Behind Bars - [ABORTED]  (Read 72330 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Diadem, Day One: Rex Danorum
« Reply #315 on: February 02, 2014, 08:54:38 pm »

Okay!  I just got back from looking at housing.  I'm going to make myself dinner and start the laundry, and then ~flavor~ *_*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 02, 2014, 09:07:43 pm »

yaaaaaay
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 02, 2014, 10:44:43 pm »

Zombie U:
This is extremely anemic.  What's the point?
This is something Bookthras did and was very annoying to deal with as scum. Also he hasn't really asked any questions to anyone yet.

He also usually said "and" instead of "or."  But whatever.

Tiruin:
Toaster
Makeinu:
I disagree that flavour is separate from mechanics. Our roles were based on the heraldry we submitted, which was all flavor. If mechanics/roles were based on flavor, then can the two really actually be separate?

I interpret the ruling as alignment is separate from flavor.  Abilities may not be so much, but there's no point in chasing that down, since it's essentially rolefishing.  Plus, any flavor can be twisted to multiple abilities.  For example, let's take the Knight example.  That could be a vig (has and uses a sword), a doc (watches over people), a watcher (see above), a reviver (lots of armor), cannot be NKed (*lots* of armor), or several other things.
Tiiiny note but maybe that's just me noticing stuffs. I read the orange part in a way that somewhat tells of how stuffs work. Detail those ideas?

Errr... not sure what you're looking for here?  The first one, picture a guy so big and tough and armor-clad that one attack isn't enough to take him down (also like this).  For the second, picture someone even tougher, someone that simply can't be beaten in a fight.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 02, 2014, 10:49:04 pm »

Okay!  I just got back from looking at housing.  I'm going to make myself dinner and start the laundry, and then ~flavor~ *_*

... Actually, I really need to take the night off, so I'm going to wait on this until tomorrow morning.  Never fear!

Thanks for your patience, folks.  I'm still getting used to the workload of running a game again--been a while since Lonely Prince.  Getting back into the swing of things now, though :]
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 03, 2014, 12:26:08 am »

Sir Toast
Tiruin:
Toaster
Makeinu:
I disagree that flavour is separate from mechanics. Our roles were based on the heraldry we submitted, which was all flavor. If mechanics/roles were based on flavor, then can the two really actually be separate?

I interpret the ruling as alignment is separate from flavor.  Abilities may not be so much, but there's no point in chasing that down, since it's essentially rolefishing.  Plus, any flavor can be twisted to multiple abilities.  For example, let's take the Knight example.  That could be a vig (has and uses a sword), a doc (watches over people), a watcher (see above), a reviver (lots of armor), cannot be NKed (*lots* of armor), or several other things.
Tiiiny note but maybe that's just me noticing stuffs. I read the orange part in a way that somewhat tells of how stuffs work. Detail those ideas?

Errr... not sure what you're looking for here?  The first one, picture a guy so big and tough and armor-clad that one attack isn't enough to take him down (also like this).  For the second, picture someone even tougher, someone that simply can't be beaten in a fight.
:O
Well honestly, I was thinking that more of a subtle slip that you were a killer or whatever thoughts in your subconscious were due to the armor thing--what I understand of armor is the realistic type (the word "lots" really meant TONS OF SUPER ARMOR, which is like the usual assumption but more like someone with ludicrous amounts of armor [nostalgic, that one])
I mean, the usual thoughts I'd assume if I thought of a bulletproof-type is 'able-in-battle and veteran of fights'. So...diverging thoughts and stuff, I believe.

Also when you say 'Reviver', I'm thinking much more of the Knight from Meph's Paranormal--compare that to your later statement and I guess you'd get my thinking there.

... Actually, I really need to take the night off, so I'm going to wait on this until tomorrow morning.  Never fear!

Thanks for your patience, folks.  I'm still getting used to the workload of running a game again--been a while since Lonely Prince.  Getting back into the swing of things now, though :]
>_>
<_<
Rest moar Vector!
We'll not worry that much over it given how dedicated you are. So aspiring. Glad to hear! :)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 03, 2014, 08:14:11 am »

Well honestly, I was thinking that more of a subtle slip that you were a killer or whatever thoughts in your subconscious were due to the armor thing
What effect would this have on your read of him?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 03, 2014, 08:40:55 am »

Well honestly, I was thinking that more of a subtle slip that you were a killer or whatever thoughts in your subconscious were due to the armor thing
What effect would this have on your read of him?
...Not much on malevolence or not, really. Just to know more about how his thoughts go here. It was an assumption so I decided it best to ask him directly and analyze from there.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 03, 2014, 10:15:13 am »

Tiruin:  I was only trying to demonstrate that you could take a concept and run many ways with it- especially in a BYOR- so trying to get role abilities from mechanics was futile.

Also, reviver in a Mafia context means someone with a one-shot revive on (any) death.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 03, 2014, 11:45:50 am »

Persus13:

If your shield is, as you imply, not related to this situation, then why 13 golden crowns?
Because that was an amazing coincidence I didn't notice until the game started.

King Cheeetar:
Rød/Urist- Who did you think the Kingmaker was going to be prior to the game beginning, and has their choice changed your mind?
I was willing to bet good money on it being Persus/Gwenhwyfar, and I don't see how an uninformed N0 choice could change my mind.
Why? The Kingmaker is chosen randomly.

SBC:
You planning on getting involved?

What are other people's thoughts on the thing about multiple factions?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 03, 2014, 12:36:52 pm »

In an effort to be democratic, and with the fact that I'm feeling more and more unready with the responsibility of being King-

How satisfied are you with the content of Day 1 in general, and how long do you think it will take to reach a reasonable decision on who to execute?
Who would you like the Kingmaker to select as King on Day 2?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2014, 01:14:20 pm »

Caz:Looking back at the beginning of the game, I noticed something:
Has breakfast arrived yet? If we are going to find this traitor, it should be on a full stomach. Hunger clouds the mind.
Why did you refer to a singular traitor?

Persus13:
Why? The Kingmaker is chosen randomly.
Where do the rules say that?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 03, 2014, 01:26:49 pm »

Toaster:
TolyK:  Fair enough.
This is in response to... my reply to as why I'm here, right?

Tiruin:
TolyK
Tolyk:
If you were one of the assassins, and had to make the choice of whom to kill right now, who would it be? Why?
Huh. I could tell who I wouldn't (the King, since he's being very thoughtful :P), but who I would kill... Jim? I don't really have all the information I need, but I'd be afraid of playing scum against Jim. :P
1. I see uncertainty, and I see Jim. Does Jim relevant to uncertainty?

2. Also why specifically Jim?
3. Also2: Anything on your mind or are you not curious on asking us things? What are your thoughts on the Kingmaker setup?
(1) Kinda - since I don't have information today, I would kill the guy I'd most be afraid of as scum. (2) He's that guy in this case, because he is very experienced and (afair) pointed me out as scum way too easily. >.> Also, as he said, he's usually strongly condemning and pushing, which really gets my on the edge regardless of faction. :P

(3) I wanted to finish rereading before asking questions (rather, I make questions as I reread). I already shared my thoughts on how it's different to play a Kingmaker, or do you mean something else?

What are other people's thoughts on the thing about multiple factions?
As I said, I'm pretty sure we have more than one faction with a chat. :P

Working on reply to UI (ba-dum-tshhh)
I don't get it.
"Reply" and "U.I." rhyme.
<.<

QUESTION TIME!

SBC: How do you feel about people "ganging up on you because of flavor"? (NOT a direct quote, but what seems to be your text on the matter.) I also know from experience that getting questioned a lot causes you to have less time to scumhunt, which in turn causes more fire to be thrown your way. My question is, how do you plan on getting out of this cycle?

Toaster:
--
Basically, you are saying that anyone who looks through flavor a potential rolefisher, correct? Also, these examples are taken from the top of your head, yes?

Quote from: Toaster
In this game, flavor is fun and that's it.  I hold anyone as suspicious who works with flavor in lieu of scumhunting.  People like Caz.

Caz:  Can't believe I let this slip earlier:
I'm not going to waste any time trying to decipher whatever it is you're talking about. If there are any obstacles between me and your point, then I'm going to quit trying right there.
Because RP is fun, and trying to figure out people Day 1 is a crapshoot anyway.
That's crap.  It's totally possible to find scum D1, and giving up beforehand is at best lazy and at worst scum avoiding work.  I want your top two suspects and why.
Although I agree that giving up is not the best idea, how likely do you think it is that we'll actually find scum D1 (instead of, say, a newer player that failed and is feeling overwhelmed)? I'm not saying that SBC shouldn't be under suspicion, but concentrating on him (for example) might be a bad idea. Thus, who is your second suspect and why?

Tiruin
PFP
I thoroughly disagree with this. We're talking about Webadict making the roles.
You know when Webadict makes the roles.
Hilarious stoofs happen.
Meaning: No, really. Flavor =/= mechanics =/= abilities.

I bloody know.
I'm guessing you probably got one in your role? :P (Joke question, to make that clear)

PPE: Bah, long post.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 03, 2014, 01:47:33 pm »

Toaster:
Toaster:
TolyK:  Fair enough.
This is in response to... my reply to as why I'm here, right?

A-yup.  Spoiler alert:  I'm lazy and don't want to bother to quote for a two word response.

Toaster:
--
Basically, you are saying that anyone who looks through flavor a potential rolefisher, correct? Also, these examples are taken from the top of your head, yes?

Not exactly.  Keeping the knight example, someone who says "What's your background?  Knight?  Ah, cool," isn't rolefishing.  Trying to delve deeper to tease out abilities may be. "You're a knight?  What kind of knightly things are you good at?"  Though, really, with Vector clearly stating that flavor is a separate entity, even that probably isn't rolefishing.

It's still scummy if someone plays with flavor in lieu of scumhunting.

In this game, flavor is fun and that's it.  I hold anyone as suspicious who works with flavor in lieu of scumhunting.  People like Caz.

Caz:  Can't believe I let this slip earlier:
I'm not going to waste any time trying to decipher whatever it is you're talking about. If there are any obstacles between me and your point, then I'm going to quit trying right there.
Because RP is fun, and trying to figure out people Day 1 is a crapshoot anyway.
That's crap.  It's totally possible to find scum D1, and giving up beforehand is at best lazy and at worst scum avoiding work.  I want your top two suspects and why.
Although I agree that giving up is not the best idea, how likely do you think it is that we'll actually find scum D1 (instead of, say, a newer player that failed and is feeling overwhelmed)? I'm not saying that SBC shouldn't be under suspicion, but concentrating on him (for example) might be a bad idea. Thus, who is your second suspect and why?

Statistically, the odds are poor.  If we don't try, though, we don't build a foundation for D2.  If you want to count scum lynched later in the game for things they did D1, you'll start getting better numbers.

At this point, my second pick is Cheeetar, mostly for the post I'm about to quote.

Cheeetar:
In an effort to be democratic, and with the fact that I'm feeling more and more unready with the responsibility of being King-

How satisfied are you with the content of Day 1 in general, and how long do you think it will take to reach a reasonable decision on who to execute?

It's been a pretty slow day.  Probably Wednesday or so for a decision, I'd wager.

Me, so I can try to whip more content out of people.

Why are you trying to completely abdicate the responsibility of the lynch?  I rather suspect that you don't want to be blamed for the mislynch you know you'll cause.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 03, 2014, 02:00:26 pm »

Toaster:
--

A-yup.  Spoiler alert:  I'm lazy and don't want to bother to quote for a two word response.

--

Not exactly.  Keeping the knight example, someone who says "What's your background?  Knight?  Ah, cool," isn't rolefishing.  Trying to delve deeper to tease out abilities may be. "You're a knight?  What kind of knightly things are you good at?"  Though, really, with Vector clearly stating that flavor is a separate entity, even that probably isn't rolefishing.

It's still scummy if someone plays with flavor in lieu of scumhunting.
Gotcha.

--

Statistically, the odds are poor.  If we don't try, though, we don't build a foundation for D2.  If you want to count scum lynched later in the game for things they did D1, you'll start getting better numbers.

At this point, my second pick is Cheeetar, mostly for the post I'm about to quote.

Cheeetar:

It's been a pretty slow day.  Probably Wednesday or so for a decision, I'd wager.

Why are you trying to completely abdicate the responsibility of the lynch?  I rather suspect that you don't want to be blamed for the mislynch you know you'll cause.
If it's mostly for this post, then I find it kinda strange. Of course, it does seem like he doesn't want to be blamed for a mislynch (he pretty much said it explicitly there, didn't he :P), however don't you think it's natural for people to not want to have an "hung innocent" on their conscience? Also, do you think there's anything else we can "try" to set a foundation for D2 other than asking questions?
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 03, 2014, 02:01:25 pm »

EBWODP:
--
--

Cheeetar:

If it's mostly for this post, then I find it kinda strange. Of course, it does seem like he doesn't want to be blamed for a mislynch (he pretty much said it explicitly there, didn't he :P), however don't you think it's natural for people to not want to have an "hung innocent" on their conscience? Also, do you think there's anything else we can "try" to set a foundation for D2 other than asking questions?
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32