Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 57

Author Topic: Terra Vitae Fork (version 2.0 released!)  (Read 323066 times)

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
Re: Terra Vitae Mod (version 1.0 released!)
« Reply #225 on: July 24, 2016, 03:53:02 am »

Bloody hell, I've fixed that problem, now I've got a new one.

Code: [Select]
     1>SDL2main.lib(SDL_windows_main.obj) : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol _fprintf imported in function _ShowError
     1>SDL2main.lib(SDL_windows_main.obj) : warning LNK4217: locally defined symbol ___iob_func imported in function _ShowError
     1>monthly.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl TVRecordMonth(void)" (?TVRecordMonth@@YAXXZ) referenced in function "void __cdecl passmonth(char &,char)" (?passmonth@@YAXAADD@Z)
     1>titlescreen.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl TVRecordMonth(void)" (?TVRecordMonth@@YAXXZ)
     1>Release/crimesquad.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

I've not seen this before, so I've no idea what to do now.

Edit: Okay, I came up with a partial solution.  By commenting out the function "TVRecordMonth()" in titlescreen.cpp and monthly.cpp, I can get it to properly compile.  The only problem, naturally, is that now the TVRecord file is created, it's just empty indefinitely.  I couldn't find where the contents of TVRecordMonth() is defined.

Still, Terra Vitae 1.0 for Windows.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/89v8w4y7wca6al0/Terra+Vitae+1.0+for+Windows.zip

For those who already have the source code (namely, the art folder and .dll's), you'll only need the .exe
http://www.mediafire.com/download/e5j0ij7x5nah865/crimesquad.exe

Edit: The downloads are faulty.  I got it to compile, but only by basically removing the mod itself.

I don't know how important the TVRecordMonth() function is, but my actions assume that it records what occurs in the game, without the game itself needing to access the information later, since I was able to save and load my file fine.

I haven't actually played it, yet, (except to confirm save/load functionality) but I'm optimistic, Slater!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:27:25 am by IsaacG »
LCS 4.12 Thread
https://discord.gg/HYbss8eswM
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Constitution of the Confederate States
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 24, 2016, 09:38:28 am »

Thank you, Isaac! Noticed some oddities, though.

After disbanding and waiting it keeps talking about the Liberal Guardian being published and Conservatives thinking its funny even though I have no Liberal Guardian.
Execution messages are weird, with things like ".executed by firing squad" or ".feeding to the lions"
Going to the "BED" special tile at "Vivian Pine's House" crashes to desktop

Weird messages under Recruitment and Acquisition
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:03:56 pm by Taberone »

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 24, 2016, 04:43:32 pm »

Noticed another oddity, when you try to do secret vitae missions game crashes. Also is their a way for founder to get superpowers?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 04:47:44 pm by lurtze1 »

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #228 on: July 24, 2016, 06:28:46 pm »

Noticed another oddity, when you try to do secret vitae missions game crashes. Also is their a way for founder to get superpowers?

Thank you, Isaac! Noticed some oddities, though.

After disbanding and waiting it keeps talking about the Liberal Guardian being published and Conservatives thinking its funny even though I have no Liberal Guardian.
Execution messages are weird, with things like ".executed by firing squad" or ".feeding to the lions"

I'll be blunt, I can't fix that.  Unless I forgot to include something in the .zip.
Ah, I guess the code I dummied out was more vital than I'd anticipated.

Edit: Okay, I found how to get it to compile with the code.
It turns out there are some files that weren't included in the project.  Thus the project file I used for this is the one created from a previous release, and doesn't include any of SlatersQuest's new files created for Terra Vitae.

This change fixes the error of the Liberal Guardian being published, when it's not supposed to be published, but the game now crashes at the end of every month, making it less stable to begin with.

I'm not sure how to fix this, I'm still pretty new to C++.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:17:22 am by IsaacG »
LCS 4.12 Thread
Many people, meeting Aziraphale for the first time, formed three impressions: that he was English, that he was intelligent, and that he was gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide.
Article I Sec. 9 4
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passe

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #229 on: July 25, 2016, 04:25:43 am »

I have isolated the cause of the bug with my attempted Windows release.
The files I uploaded earlier, it turns out I basically disabled a large portion of Terra Vitae to get it to compile.
To fix that, I had to add a file to the project that had not been added automatically.
Now the problem is that it crashes at the start of every month, including the start of the first month.

I have isolated the cause of the crash:

TVRecordMonth()
TVRecord_InputSleeper(...)
namecreature(...)
makecreature(...)

First, it makes the correct creatures.  But then, after a while, makecreature(...) attempts to get the alignment of an initialized creature.  Unfortunately, the value of its alignment has not been set, and so it is the default creature, a Janitor named Scruffy.  This default creature has no stats, and attempts to generate the stats cause the game to crash.

I'm not sure how to fix this, but I know why it causes a run time error instead of compile time error.
Soapbox time: The stats for creatures are enumerators, but to simplify much of the code, they are used as integers (or shorts, or longs....).  This means that invalid values for the enumerators can potentially be assigned, and there's no way for the compiler to notice, turning it into a run time error.  The ideal solution is to replace all those archaic references to shorts and ints and longs being used in place of enumerators with enumerators, but quite a bit of the code relies heavily on treating enumerators as numbers, allowing mathematical operations to be performed on them.
This would constitute a major overhaul of much of the code, but it would reduce bug reports drastically.

tl;dr
I can't get it to compile until someone shows me how to fix this specific instance of the problem.  I'm taking down my uploads, as those are faulty, incomplete solutions that do more harm than good.
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 25, 2016, 06:12:56 am »

I have isolated the cause of the bug with my attempted Windows release.
The files I uploaded earlier, it turns out I basically disabled a large portion of Terra Vitae to get it to compile.
To fix that, I had to add a file to the project that had not been added automatically.
Now the problem is that it crashes at the start of every month, including the start of the first month.

I have isolated the cause of the crash:

TVRecordMonth()
TVRecord_InputSleeper(...)
namecreature(...)
makecreature(...)

First, it makes the correct creatures.  But then, after a while, makecreature(...) attempts to get the alignment of an initialized creature.  Unfortunately, the value of its alignment has not been set, and so it is the default creature, a Janitor named Scruffy.  This default creature has no stats, and attempts to generate the stats cause the game to crash.

I'm not sure how to fix this, but I know why it causes a run time error instead of compile time error.
Soapbox time: The stats for creatures are enumerators, but to simplify much of the code, they are used as integers (or shorts, or longs....).  This means that invalid values for the enumerators can potentially be assigned, and there's no way for the compiler to notice, turning it into a run time error.  The ideal solution is to replace all those archaic references to shorts and ints and longs being used in place of enumerators with enumerators, but quite a bit of the code relies heavily on treating enumerators as numbers, allowing mathematical operations to be performed on them.
This would constitute a major overhaul of much of the code, but it would reduce bug reports drastically.

tl;dr
I can't get it to compile until someone shows me how to fix this specific instance of the problem.  I'm taking down my uploads, as those are faulty, incomplete solutions that do more harm than good.

Doing gods work. I would look into it but going on vacation today.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 25, 2016, 08:00:44 am »

The ideal solution is to replace all those archaic references to shorts and ints and longs being used in place of enumerators with enumerators, but quite a bit of the code relies heavily on treating enumerators as numbers, allowing mathematical operations to be performed on them.
Note that C++11 and earlier have automatic conversions from enumerator values to the "underlying base type" (usually int).  You only run into trouble when assigning int to an enumerator.

The save/load implementation is likely to be awful as that is a mandatory conversion to/from integral types.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 25, 2016, 11:44:54 am »

Ugh - I knew there would be bugs.

Thank you for the reports. I am traveling will be busy this coming weekend and next week but will see what I can do.

Quote from: IsaacG
I don't know how important the TVRecordMonth() function is, but my actions assume that it records what occurs in the game, without the game itself needing to access the information later, since I was able to save and load my file fine.

TVRecordMonth() is in tvrecord.cpp in the monthly/ directory. It is right now not needed, but will be used for some future (planned) features. You can safely edit it out.

Quote from: Taberone

The monthly Liberal Guardian newspaper is just a measure of how much the background liberal influence is having an effect. I should rewrite the text.

What circumstances did you get the period in the front?

I was afraid that would happen. I will try to test it out myself. It's supposed to work the same way that visiting the Oval Office does.

What was Athena supposed to be doing? It looks like I forgot a case break, but if you tell me what it is, I can find and fix it much more easily.

Quote from: lurtze1

I'll check that one out, too. It looks like Special Agent Mary Sue has her work cut out for her! :)

Edit: doing secret missions doesn't give you super powers. It allows you to do secret agent missions. There is currently no way to give the LCS founder super-powers; I will have to edit the questions at the beginning of the game to do that.

--

I am not sure I even understand your other errors.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:47:02 am by SlatersQuest »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 25, 2016, 12:06:57 pm »

Double-posting for great justice and bug finding:

mvgetnstr() no longer seems to work, and causes a segmentation fault (a Unix-type error) when it is called. mvgetnstr() is called in enter_name() and nowhere else. mvgetnstr() is part of the Curses library, and is not part of the LCS code.

I will try to fix this by writing my own version of mvgetnstr().

Given that this problem has suddenly cropped up, I suspect that it and possibly some of your other bugs may be the result of revision of the libraries that LCS uses, and will probably cause crashes in new compilations of all versions of LCS. I will test them, however.

EDIT: Now refresh() seems to be blowing up, too. Is Curses itself hosed?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:34:35 pm by SlatersQuest »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 25, 2016, 01:27:21 pm »

I seem to have fixed one bug: mvgetnstr() works if there is an internal string that it copies into and not a dynamically-assigned character name. However, the game still crashes before the game begins. I still think that there was an "update" in the compiler that is causing this.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 25, 2016, 03:02:37 pm »

The curses library (any flavor; on windows this would be PDCurses or an immediate descendant) generally has to be compiled with the same C API, and a closely compatibile C standard library, as that the current compiler uses.  So yes, a compiler update that changed the C API would automatically break many or all C libraries previously built.

Curses is sensitive to the C variadic args macros implementation.  The problems mentioned suggest that a C library change involving the C memory management functions is likely.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 25, 2016, 06:46:43 pm »

The game-crashing bug in TVRecordMonth() has been found and fixed. Since that function was called at the end of each month, I hope that months can now end without the game crashing.

I will upload the 1.01 .zip to DFFD presently.

EDIT: Version 1.01 is uploaded. Go get it!

More edits: the game (Mac version) does not crash when going to Vivian's bed, but there is another bug that prevents her from being conservative (TV members, like gang members, are considered conservative, i.e. enemy, on their home turf, politics notwithstanding). This is an easy fix, though.

Edit to edit: fixed, but not critical, so will release when I have fixed the other bugs.

Edit to edit to edit:
More bugs - this isn't supposed to happen :)
Marty Stue says,                                   
 "Holy shit you're hot!  I want to have sex with you RIGHT NOW."

Vivian Pines responds,                             
 "I'm a happily married woman, sweetie."             

Charisma of 24 and seduction of 20 should be enough to seduce Vivian...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 07:13:05 pm by SlatersQuest »

IsaacG

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Engineer
    • View Profile
    • JJoseph on Deviantart
« Reply #237 on: July 26, 2016, 06:10:40 am »

The game-crashing bug in TVRecordMonth() has been found and fixed. Since that function was called at the end of each month, I hope that months can now end without the game crashing.

I will upload the 1.01 .zip to DFFD presently.

EDIT: Version 1.01 is uploaded. Go get it!

Alright!
Here are the new mediafire links to accommodate these changes, and viola.  Windows Executable!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nuwg88h60x18k5x/crimesquad.exe
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wguz8q3rwubqufg/terravitae+1.01.zip

Note: hit enter twice at the start of each month, it looks like it's frozen, but it's not.
Also, currently at the start of each month it states the Liberal Guardian is published, even when it's not.  Is that happening in the Mac version, or did I screw up the compile again?
LCS 4.12 Thread
Article I Sec. 9 4

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 26, 2016, 10:46:19 am »

Note: hit enter twice at the start of each month, it looks like it's frozen, but it's not.
Also, currently at the start of each month it states the Liberal Guardian is published, even when it's not.  Is that happening in the Mac version, or did I screw up the compile again?

The hit enter twice bug was me trying to debug the function and forgetting to take out all of the getch() statements. This has been fixed and will be in the next release.

The Liberal Guardian general monthly newsletter is assumed to be published each month. This is not the same as the special edition that you publish using loot. This is not a bug. However, I should edit the text to make it a little bit less confusing.

And I discovered that the inability to seduce Vivian Pines was not a bug either. Marty Stu was 46 years old, which gives him a large penalty in trying to seduce a woman 20 years younger than him (Pines is 24, like the LCS founder). When I set Marty's age to 24, he seduced her right away. This means that any problem with the BED or HERO tiles in the Terra Vitae House/Office is unique to the Windows version, since it works on the Mac.

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 26, 2016, 10:59:40 am »

Looting at the church and injun reservation so far doesn't actually give loot. Weird execution messages always happen when a liberal in prison is executed, and the first time you go to recruitment and acquisition it says send bug reports. Actually picking an option will remove the "send bug reports" part.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:07:39 am by Taberone »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 57