Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 98389 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Fates is out!
« Reply #390 on: February 24, 2016, 02:32:25 pm »

I have to agree. The idea of capturing prisoners to potentially recruit them to your side is good in theory, but not well implemented.

What I would have done is allow recruited generics to serve as reinforcements in castle battles. They would be auto-equipped with basic weaponry for their class, depending on their levels, and serve as uncontrolled allied units (green, in other words). Not as good as your mainliners, not as well equipped, but still capable of distracting and weakening the enemy. Perhaps victory in castle battles would give them a level.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 24, 2016, 02:49:33 pm »

Would be interesting if their given random personaltys stat growths and some generic support bonus with your character
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 24, 2016, 08:57:31 pm »

I mentioned the salt on the GameFAQs boards over the game's features having minor changes, right? You know, some of the characters getting played for laughs, the removal of the petting minigame, and the weeaboos enthusiasts who played the fan translation being upset that the NoA translation isn't word-for-word?

If GameFAQs is a salt mine Metacritic is a planet made of halite. People are literally review-bombing it and downvoting positive reviews in an attempt to get its score dragged down.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 24, 2016, 09:07:28 pm »

While the gameplay is really great, the removal of mini games, the awful voice acting and the cut dialog makes Fire Emblem Fates story an unenjoyable mess that is not worth your time.
"I'm a weeaboo."
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 24, 2016, 09:14:31 pm »

Would be interesting if their given random personaltys stat growths and some generic support bonus with your character

I don't think random social links would work, unless it was like that episode of the Drew Carey Show where one guy is completely silent and the other guy carries the entire conversation singlehandedly. Since generics never seem to speak at all, their level up quote is just "..." that could be played up for laughs.

But if they don't get any social links, and they start with below average stats due to their existence as jobbers previously, I think the best the game could do is to give them *great* stat growths, or atleast very above average growths, to make up for their mediocre starting stats, lack of personal skill, and inability to receive bonus relationship stats.

I just guess they didn't want random peons supplanting the actual canon named characters in the story. Still disappointing.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:20:35 pm by JoshuaFH »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 24, 2016, 09:21:08 pm »

They're randos.  Fire Emblem is a soap opera with a tacked-on tactics minigame.  All the support conversations are too detailed and important to character development to be random.

They're randos.  They're the camp followers the army decides to force-march in front to soak attack.
Shoes...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 24, 2016, 09:26:30 pm »

While the gameplay is really great, the removal of mini games, the awful voice acting and the cut dialog makes Fire Emblem Fates story an unenjoyable mess that is not worth your time.
"I'm a weeaboo."
I picked up Birthright because I heard it plays more like Awakening, which is what I want since I don't like the formula of the older Fire Emblem games. The problem started the instant I got to Chapter 6, the chapter where you have to choose between siding with Nohr, or siding with Hoshido. What I wasn't aware of going in was that, if I wanted to play as Nohr in Birthright, I would have to pay an ADDITIONAL $20 on top of the $40 for the game (and YET ANOTHER $20 if I want to play the "hidden" third route, Revelations). Not only that, but if I want to play as Nohr, I have to play the game using the formula of the older Fire Emblem games, meaning no "grinding" between missions, which is what I bought Birthright to avoid in the first place. I refuse to pay that, and I'm strongly considering returning the game in the morning. This blatant money-grubbing is completely unacceptable, and I really expected better of Nintendo, It's just... all so disappointing. I'm rating this one 0/10 on principal. If you really love Fire Emblem, you'll find the money to burn on this. Everyone else should stay away; this game is corporate greed at its finest.
Holy crap, this guy missed the point entirely.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 24, 2016, 09:38:33 pm »

"I don't want to pay half the price of a game to play it instead of buying the full version."
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 24, 2016, 09:42:50 pm »

I'd point out how literally any promotion of the game, even it's own description in the Nintendo E-shop, points out the split-game nature of Fates, but that'd be sadly redundant, as the only thing more reliable than the tides is human ignorance. "You can't make something foolproof, because they'll just invent a better fool" as it were.

They're randos.  Fire Emblem is a soap opera with a tacked-on tactics minigame.  All the support conversations are too detailed and important to character development to be random.

Yep, all the support conversations are too important, just like the one that is "Look at me squeeze the fuck outta this fruit" or "Let's exercise and get sweaty" or even the "Let's make tea." support conversation. I think they're cutesy at times, but not well-written enough to be the main draw.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 24, 2016, 09:53:01 pm »

Because, even if it's just "Hey, [Corrin], thanks for not murdering me and instead forcing me to comply with your orders and murder my former comrades at the risk of my life." "No problem, Mikasa." but in about twenty more textboxes, that's lots of writing for the devs to do to make every single possible situation. Not every character can support with every other character for a reason.. even if the supports that do exist are silly.

Also, you seemed to kind of... ignore the first half that point. They're disposable. Nobody can support with them because they're disposable.
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 24, 2016, 09:58:43 pm »

No man, I get it, they're jobbers. They're about 1 step on the evolutionary tree above DOTA minions. It's ok that they don't get any supports.

I just thought it was disappointing that the *only* function of prisoners is to be jobbers, as opposed to being legitimate fill-ins should your army get tactical holes punched into it.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 24, 2016, 10:04:59 pm »

If you're playing the game "correctly" you shouldn't have any tactical holes in it (or have too much of an issue from them).
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 24, 2016, 10:13:55 pm »

I mean, yeah, sure, that's the 'intended' way to play the game, but one thing I've noticed about all Fire Emblems since 4 is that you're thoroughly safeguarded against the situation of Not-having-enough-units. I suspect that Nintendo's playtesters are all children who just let their units die willy-nilly, and then wonder why they can't progress through the game, so they 'fix' that problem by simply giving the player WAY WAY WAY too many units. Several playthroughs would be necessary to build all units up, and there's so many supports that if you wanted to get them all, that's nothing short of raw tedium.

I'm honest to god not making a point here, that's just my observation, and it was simply my opinion that having generics be on-par with non-generics (if only in stats and nothing else) would be a cool little aspect of the game, especially since you can get access to classes that you normally would not have access to at all.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 24, 2016, 10:15:27 pm »

No unit is disposable becuase even if they are complete trash i already care about them cause their on my side.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 24, 2016, 10:16:38 pm »

I'm honest to god not making a point here, that's just my observation, and it was simply my opinion that having generics be on-par with non-generics (if only in stats and nothing else) would be a cool little aspect of the game, especially since you can get access to classes that you normally would not have access to at all.
Yeah.

I don't know if it gives any later, but as of Chapter 11 Birthright has no Knights, so it'd have been nice to have a captured one be viable.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 70