Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 97729 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Fates is out!
« Reply #495 on: February 27, 2016, 09:10:01 pm »

Anyone else with previous FE experience find themselves habitually ignoring characters that arrive as promoted classes, even though some of them are actually pretty decent? Because I do.

I...I'm sorry, Ryoma. It just can't work between us. I know you have a cool electrified katana, but you're already a Swordmaster. It just wasn't meant to be.
He has a kid, so you at least want to pair him up with one of your main female units until they hit S-rank.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 27, 2016, 09:32:18 pm »

I'm playing conquest and....ahem....

CHAPTER 20! RAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE........

I would rather have to do chapter 10 again....
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 27, 2016, 09:33:05 pm »

Does this have a bloodline thing where characters pair up and you play a later act with their kids?

I made my guy a Mercenary since it's a cool class and Gerik was donkey brolic in sacred stones.

I also bench premotes unless I really need them for a mission.  Until I had enough level 10s and promotes to fill a team I also benched them when they promoted.
Shoes...

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 27, 2016, 09:35:07 pm »

Once certain characters get to S-rank, you unlock a paralogue to get their kid.

Some of the pre-promotes have kids- specifically the male ones, although I don't know if it's all of them- so you might want to pair them up with a female unit you're actually using so you can get their kids.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 27, 2016, 09:38:38 pm »

Because there's less [time-travel and Grima] this time around, the excuse is [that babies are actually sent into parallel universes (because who the hell would raise a kid in this kind of environment?!) where they age up, like a heyperbolic time chamber.]
Black lives matter.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 27, 2016, 09:41:03 pm »

Does this have a bloodline thing where characters pair up and you play a later act with their kids?

I made my guy a Mercenary since it's a cool class and Gerik was donkey brolic in sacred stones.

I also bench premotes unless I really need them for a mission.  Until I had enough level 10s and promotes to fill a team I also benched them when they promoted.
Once you start Conquest you'll want to keep promoted units around. Just FYI. They might not get much exp but the punch and utility they provide will save your skin fairly often.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 27, 2016, 09:48:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yeah, I eventually figured out how to beat it after I learned the pattern of the wind and reduced the number of people on my team--I think I've gotten to the point where the levels get a little easier if you bring fewer people, which I usually seem to hit around the end of the game.

I love levels like this, though! Level gimmicks like this make you
Quote from: Phoenix Wright
...think outside the box, and approach things from a different angle!

Spoiler: My advice to you: (click to show/hide)
Don't do that with this game. Er, if you're doing Conquest, anyway. 3/4ths of the Nohr royal family is made of prepromotes, all of whom are Oifeys.
Because there's less [time-travel and Grima] this time around, the excuse is [that babies are actually sent into parallel universes (because who the hell would raise a kid in this kind of environment?!) where they age up, like a heyperbolic time chamber.]
Which reminds me that the kids thing is utterly ridiculous in this game and does nothing to add to the story. In Awakening the kids were a fun mechanic that made sense due to the plot; in this one, it's obviously shoehorned in for Waifu Emblem players' sake.

I like the S-Supports and A+ supports, though, there's something nice about A-supports not being marriage proposals half the time like in older games.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 27, 2016, 09:50:15 pm »

I'm playing Birthright. 

Technically.  I'm still in the prologue.

So what do people do with 3d in this one?  On one hand 3d is awesome, on the other I'm having trouble getting positioned for it and it's not exactly a super visually flashy game.

The support and pairing seems to make it a little less of a problem to bring premotes along.  They can lend their strength without gobbling up all the XP on the map.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:09:44 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 27, 2016, 10:36:31 pm »

I'm playing Birthright. 

Technically.  I'm still in the prologue.

So what do people do with 3d in this one?  On one hand 3d is awesome, on the other I'm having trouble getting positioned for it and it's not exactly a super visually flashy game.

The support and pairing seems to make it a little less of a problem to bring premotes along.  They can lend their strength without gobbling up all the XP on the map.

I'm the type of person who can't handle 3D at all, so it always remains off. Touching that slider, even a little bit, is signaling to the 3DS "Hey, want to fuck my eyes?" to which it will happily oblige.

Yeah, I eventually figured out how to beat it after I learned the pattern of the wind and reduced the number of people on my team--I think I've gotten to the point where the levels get a little easier if you bring fewer people, which I usually seem to hit around the end of the game.

I love levels like this, though! Level gimmicks like this make you

Don't do that with this game. Er, if you're doing Conquest, anyway. 3/4ths of the Nohr royal family is made of prepromotes, all of whom are Oifeys.
Which reminds me that the kids thing is utterly ridiculous in this game and does nothing to add to the story. In Awakening the kids were a fun mechanic that made sense due to the plot; in this one, it's obviously shoehorned in for Waifu Emblem players' sake.

You're right about the kids thing being shoehorned in, but "My Time Traveling Children come to visit me" is pretty much the definition of shoehorn, so they didn't fit in Awakening either. Even though they don't fit into the story here in Fates, the mechanic is executed so much better, I love it.

I mean, still not as good as 4, in either story or mechanics, but just because you're not the best doesn't mean you shouldn't try, eh?

Once you start Conquest you'll want to keep promoted units around. Just FYI. They might not get much exp but the punch and utility they provide will save your skin fairly often.

Yeah, any scruples you hold onto about ignoring prepromotes are gonna melt away in the face of Hard Conquest. The difficulty is tuned around you having these strong characters helping you out, and ignoring them is simply voluntarily giving yourself a headache. You'll just have to swallow your pride and accept the fact that you still need a babysitter.

Hue hue hue, wait til you get to 21 :P

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 27, 2016, 10:45:38 pm »

speaking of.....I'm there now.

WHAT IS THIS!? THIS IS INSANE! WE ARE SO DEAD!
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 27, 2016, 10:49:48 pm »

Ah. Well, if and when you do side with Nohr, prepromotes are a godsend.
Haha, beat Chapter 21. That was a tough bastard of a level, you guys are gonna love it.
I'M HAVING A BAD TIME

You're right about the kids thing being shoehorned in, but "My Time Traveling Children come to visit me" is pretty much the definition of shoehorn, so they didn't fit in Awakening either. Even though they don't fit into the story here in Fates, the mechanic is executed so much better, I love it.

I mean, still not as good as 4, in either story or mechanics, but just because you're not the best doesn't mean you shouldn't try, eh?
Well, in Awakening it fit into the plot reasonably; [Lucina comes back to stop the Bad Future and her friends tag along.] It's not really as well-done as in Genealogy, no, but it at least fits into the story and is alluded to during the introduction of the one plot-mandatory kid.

In Fates, it's "You got married! Guess what, there's D&D-style demiplanes with Narnia-style time, and instead of carrying your children to war like a REAL childbearing Fire Emblem character, you're going to leave them THERE!"

Not to mention the fact that it's implied that the kids were carried to term outside of the demiplanes, which makes no sense in either plot path.

speaking of.....I'm there now.

WHAT IS THIS!? THIS IS INSANE! WE ARE SO DEAD!
you and me both, pal ;_;

I'm going to go fetch the mathematician-tallow candles and highly flammable statistics paperwork. It's time to pray to RNGsus.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 28, 2016, 12:37:55 am »

I actually have a lot of tips, but typing them out right now is hard because I'm on my 3DS right now. So I'll just say I hope you picked up the Dragonstone+ in ch20. Things are gonna get real ugly if you didn't ;)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 28, 2016, 01:42:56 am »

I didn't, but I picked Magic for my dump stat anyway. :/

Now that I think about it I should stop posting at 1 AM too. :v

I think I'm going to like Revelations the best in terms of difficulty TBH. With Conquest, I feel like I expected FE7 Normal and got RD Normal instead. :v
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:18:44 pm by Tawarochir »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 28, 2016, 01:50:34 am »

For those moments your jagen archetype cleans house:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkqSNS9va5k&index=20&list=PLxdJrDLIgUjKJ5U6K8O0tg7lbxVVe3RIg

Looking at you, Gunter.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 01:55:52 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 28, 2016, 03:09:23 am »

Man, Chapter 9. I really hate this part (and the following 15 Chapters) of Awakening. ;-;
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 70