Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 98428 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Fates is out!
« Reply #510 on: February 28, 2016, 08:01:52 am »

I didn't, but I picked Magic for my dump stat anyway. :/

I was getting tired when I retried that one and did the cheap way out of deploying myself and Camilla, then just having her blitz me to the escape points. I saw ahead and kept a save on 21 since I'll probably feel like doing a legitimate run tomorrow. 22 isn't nearly as bad, thankfully, seeing as I got most of the way through half-asleep using characters deprived of Chapter 21 EXP, but panicked when the reinforcements in the top corners caught me off guard.

While I'm pretty sure you mentioned dialing the difficulty down to normal, I'm going to concur that you don't want to be skipping EXP. I could tell right away that this is a very finely balanced game with clear designer intention behind every decision, so if you cheese a mission and wind up not gaining any experience, you'll go into the next mission weaker than the Developers intended, that little bit of weakness is going to catch up with you, and you'll have some problems, which will cause more problems, and it'll snowball until you've backed yourself up into an unwinnable game state. And neither you nor I want to see that happen.

So yeah, go back, throw yourself at 21 again, place some thought into how you can evolve your strategy to overcome this new obstacle, and if you're still having trouble, report back and I'll dispense some more tips. God knows I had to pull out of the mission entirely to go back to the Castle and do some very special preparation just for this mission.

In other news, I got Benny's Son's Paralogue mission, and it would seem I married him a little later than intended, because the level adjustment on enemies for difficulty bit me in the ass pretty hard. Benny's Son is placed deep in enemy territory and surrounded by enemies that badly outclass him, and he can survive, at most, 3 turns. Cut to my tenth or eleventh attempt as I bumrush towards him to save him from his fated curbstomping. Good news, I did manage to save him and complete the paralogue, but not without a lot of hair pulling and frustration.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:04:03 am by JoshuaFH »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 28, 2016, 08:07:14 am »

I had the same experience with Hinata's kid (from Birthright). He wasn't actually that far away, but the only units who could reasonably reach him in time were fliers because the majority of the map was Wasteland tiles. Which seem to have very inconsistent rules on whether you can move on them or not.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 28, 2016, 04:49:20 pm »

-snip-
Ehm, yeah... I oughta stop playing FE in the middle of the night, heh. ._.

And I almost beat it this morning, too! Just got Corrin killed because I forgot the boss could move, which will be easy to compensate for next run.
EDIT: Success! And 22 in the bag, too. 23 is proving to be a tough nut to crack, though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 07:19:07 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 28, 2016, 10:25:40 pm »

Can we talk about how the soundtrack varies greatly depending on which path you choose? Even the music for getting ready for battle, "Resolve" has two versions.

It's these little details that you don't necessarily notice while playing that make games awesome.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 28, 2016, 10:48:36 pm »

Oh, I noticed that too! I went into the sound room and noticed a bunch of tracks had "(Dark)" after their names and figured that Birthright had mirroring tracks for the same things. There's a lot of counterpart tracks; "Dance in the Dark" compared to "Shine in the Light", for example. There's also the atmospheric "Homesick" and "Paradise" songs, each with a Light and Dark version, intended for My Castle as background music.

I'm not 100% sure, either, but I've heard the song Azura plays in her performance before that one midgame chapter is different depending on which route you pick.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 28, 2016, 11:37:55 pm »

It is, and her outfit is different too. So I've heard.
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 29, 2016, 02:33:23 am »

So seals are just the best thing in the game, as I find ways to class change everyone into Great Knights. Luna is awesome, High DEF is awesome, being on a horse is awesome, so why not make everyone awesome? I have six Great Knights in my main roster, with a plan to convert Mozu into my seventh. That is, if she'd just stop holding out and just marry Xander already! Don't you want some of this sweet sweet Luna already?! Just jump right into this holy matrimony! Gawd!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 29, 2016, 03:24:00 am »

Do seals allow promoted units to go back to first classes? I'm hitting an uncomfortable point where my characters are getting close to level capping in their starting classes and I want to try and get their Heart Seal class skills while I have the chance. Unfortunately this will drop their proficincies and stats in many cases, making them weaker, and then they'll usually start promoting into classes that don't really suit them (Elise, why on earth do you switch to wyvern rider? You have the lowest STR on the entire team ffs).

I know from testing that a promoted unit (your servant, many of your siblings) can use heart seals to freely swap between their selection of promoted classes, which is nice. I just want to know if I can bring them back to first class later.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 29, 2016, 03:58:37 am »

The game is super cool about it. You can't demote, but if you class change into a different promoted unit that has a different base then you just learn all the skills from that base class as well, one at a time as you level up. It makes the system extremely powerful, convenient, and versatile.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 29, 2016, 06:23:50 am »

I forgot why I hated Valm so much.
49 units, over three times the amount you bring on the mission, they're all at least level 15, and the number of mounted units is unreal.

Black lives matter.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 29, 2016, 06:49:08 am »

I'm on chapter 5.  What the fuck is this shit?
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 29, 2016, 07:24:23 am »

I'm on chapter 5.  What the fuck is this shit?

Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd that it waits til ch6 before it actually gives you the sales pitch, I thought it'd be upfront.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 29, 2016, 07:26:36 am »

Oh, I thought that made sense.  I'm more talking about the way the game slowly ramps up the complexity, then throws you into a fight against guys that will one shot everyone on your team out of nowhere.

I mean I get what they're trying to teach, but fucking a man.
Shoes...

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 29, 2016, 07:32:19 am »

Abuse Corrin in that fight. He can one shot most of the enemies. Just keep him out of Dragonslayer range.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 29, 2016, 07:36:33 am »

I want to know which route, difficulty, death mode, gender, and hairstyle you've chosen to play first.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 70