Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 97726 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Fates is out!
« Reply #555 on: March 01, 2016, 08:46:00 pm »

Yeah, a lot of people on both sides of the censorship debate got really up in arms. I'm not super salty about it myself; the people who did the localization did what they did in order to make the game more appealing to the majority of westerners. That's just their job. I am interested in knowing exactly what I might be missing out on, though, especially in terms of support convos and such, since I like to know more about the characters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 01, 2016, 09:10:21 pm »

Yeah, a lot of people on both sides of the censorship debate got really up in arms. I'm not super salty about it myself; the people who did the localization did what they did in order to make the game more appealing to the majority of westerners. That's just their job. I am interested in knowing exactly what I might be missing out on, though, especially in terms of support convos and such, since I like to know more about the characters.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/fire-emblem-fates-localization-controversy

I'm personally pretty content waiting for the fan translation patch of the JP to finish up. They're pretty well into it with only the support conversations left.

----

Edit: It should be said that if you're interested and have the means, you can patch back all the removed content back into the game. There's patches for it all over the place for all sorts of shenanigans. Touching minigame on JP version. Touching minigame on US version. Missing DLC. Etc.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 01, 2016, 09:33:13 pm »

Speaking of kids, I have my first Conquest S-rank supports!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Got them both after Chapter 14.

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 02, 2016, 01:25:36 pm »

Has anyone gotten a gold marble from the lottery yet? I haven't, though I seem to get a silver about every third go at it, and I was trying to gauge how rare the best prizes are.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 02, 2016, 01:28:21 pm »

Didn't even know there were gold marbles. So, uh. There's your answer.

So Conquest Chapter 15...kinda easy, actually. Got all the stat boosters and somehow even came out with a net gain in vulneraries. Shame that the "new" character had uniformally terrible levels.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 02, 2016, 03:55:07 pm »

I got gold once. I believe the prize was a Venge Katana.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 02, 2016, 03:58:16 pm »

Should we be posting My Castle addresses here? Everyone could use DV, Visit, and Battle points, I'm guessing.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 02, 2016, 04:00:45 pm »

but doesnt that defeat the point of playing conquest
Black lives matter.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 02, 2016, 04:16:21 pm »

but doesnt that defeat the point of playing conquest
You mean visiting other castles? Not really. You only get resources, which are used for smithing and cooking, exclusively. Fighting castle battles nets you no exp or money (though it can get you support ranks and weapon skill ranks).

You can get rewards from visit point and battle point milestones, yes, but they're singular items which don't make a heck of a lot of difference, and selling them won't earn you all that much money.

All in all, visiting castles can help a little, yes, but it will never be anywhere near as helpful as straight EXP grinding, which is impossible in Conquest.

Should we be posting My Castle addresses here? Everyone could use DV, Visit, and Battle points, I'm guessing.
Will post my address later.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:18:13 pm by Nighthawk »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 02, 2016, 04:21:00 pm »

Finally beat the game! Damn, that was a good FE game, although the story was a little... silly at times. And, uh, I was -really- bad about overusing prepromotes, mostly because I'd expected a more traditional prepromote expectancy (i.e. as a noob crutch or for people with bad luck rather than as basically mandatory parts of the levels they're introduced in.)

Now to get started on Birthright. Well, technically, I already got started on it, I just haven't played past Chapter 7. :v

Also I think my Fates game has cursed my luck, for better or for worse--I got 2 3% critical hits in the same chapter when playing Radiant Dawn. o_o
...straight EXP grinding, which is impossible in Conquest.
There is, actually--this game's version of Awakening's "EXPonential Growth".

I'll post my castle later.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 02, 2016, 04:26:10 pm »

08666-85285-99631-73357

Welcome to Ft. Karren. A humble extradimensional home away from home where most everything is placed with pronounced laissez faire. I'm pretty sure it's just basically the AI controlling the units for you, but it's not a big deal to beat up on eachother's units.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 02, 2016, 04:40:36 pm »

To be fair, Fates' version of EXPonential Growth isn't much like EXPGrowth at all. The enemies' levels scale to your own, for one thing, so you can't just toss some level 9 character you haven't touched in a dozen chapters in there without serious help. Also, some enemies will actively chase down and attack your units while only being worth standard amounts of exp, while the ones you actually want to kill (because they are worth far more exp) have Pass (meaning they can't be blocked), run away from your units, and have much better stats. The valuable ones will never actively attack but can be dragged into team-up attacks by the aggressive enemies.
There are also far more enemies, with more spawning in as you proceed.

Anyhoo, my address is:
12440-99775
04530-20172

Feel free to wreck my stuff and my dudes.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 02, 2016, 05:24:01 pm »

Wow, hey I didn't even know you could recruit copies of other people's characters, or learn their skills by spending gold, that's *really* out there, and once again I don't know how to feel about that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 02, 2016, 05:43:56 pm »

So one thing I've gotten the impression of (it didn't matter much in Sacred Stones since it's baby easy) is that leveling up is random and it's very possible to have characters become useless as time goes on due to bad levels.

Is that the case?

What about my Lord?  Can he end up being shitty or are stats weighted for him?  If he does end up being shitty what do I do?

Also is there anywhere with a clear description of the math involved?  The previews are useful but I can't preview what'll happen when a dude moves on me.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 02, 2016, 05:57:38 pm »

So one thing I've gotten the impression of (it didn't matter much in Sacred Stones since it's baby easy) is that leveling up is random and it's very possible to have characters become useless as time goes on due to bad levels.

Is that the case?

What about my Lord?  Can he end up being shitty or are stats weighted for him?  If he does end up being shitty what do I do?

Also is there anywhere with a clear description of the math involved?  The previews are useful but I can't preview what'll happen when a dude moves on me.

Random levels and stats has been a staple feature of every FE to date. It's very possible to end up with a crappy main character, but unlikely due to how naturally good her stat growths are. If you end up with one or more characters screwed by stat growths, it seems the game gives you a LOT of strategic options that help to mitigate randomness and the effects of bad luck, like pairing up since the bonus stats on pairs is static, so having a crappy partner isn't that big of a deal. But the game also just straight up gives you a lot of characters, so getting bad stats on a couple characters is possible, but getting bad stats on ALL of them is improbable to the extreme. If those units DO fail you though, you use captured units, children units, copied units, einherjer units, there's honestly so many options it's hard to see a player backing themselves into an unwinnable gamestate.

Also, since it's possible to earn Support points fighting in other people's castles, it's more than possible to grind those out, get S rank relationships, and unlock paralogues, which do give Experience and awesome new characters to boot.

but FE math is always really easy, just look at your defense, and the opponent's attack power, and add/subtract. Just be sure to add in environmental and skill bonuses too, and you're good. Dodge rate is significantly harder to calculate in your head, but just trust that the opponent's RNG will always roll well, and you'll make very few strategic faux pas.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 70