Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 98419 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Fates is out!
« Reply #615 on: March 06, 2016, 06:24:20 pm »

Basically, it could see through both fog of war and attack units concealed in trees as if they weren't concealed at all. There was a whole level explaining that game mechanic, and then it just invalidates it. I was hurt.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 06, 2016, 08:02:07 pm »

Tying the conversation back to FE though: it's true that FE is a little cheaty in that you are frequently placed up against enemies that have a combination of skills that is simply impossible to obtain legitimately, and you face enemies that have items that are impossible to acquire yourself, but I've always considered that to be upfront information that you simply have to prepare for, because otherwise the game plays by it's own rules.

The only instance where the game doesn't play by it's own rules is with that one guy in Conquest Ch10, but I'm OK forgiving that because it's to prevent breaking the story, but honestly I'd have preferred they resorted to a legitimate method of preventing you from killing him, like surrounding him completely with overleveled promoted units, giving him the skill that lets him do what his cheat does (which he has in a later chapter, so wtf there?), or just completely omitting him from the map so you can't actually interact with him, just don't break the rules of the in-game universe please.

The only other example I can think of is from Awaking, where Awakening had it so that freshly spawned enemies could move on the turn they entered the stage, and that was unfair, but I'm glad they fixed it here so you atleast get an entire turn on them in preparation. I'd have liked some kind of advance warning so that whole groups of foes can't just jump out of a stairway for surprise buttsecks, but you take what you can get.

In other news, I just realized that there's weapon types that just have implied stat boosts and penalties attached to that type. For my entire playthrough of Conquest I couldn't figure out why the Yato had +1 Speed and -1 to Def and Res when that information was omitted from it's item description, but now that I started up Birthright it finally dawned on me "Oooooh, the Yato is a katana, and all Katana's just have that stat boost/penalty natively." Now, even more, I appreciate the depth of statistical differences between Hoshido and Nohr weapons.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 08:05:16 pm by JoshuaFH »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 06, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »

Urgh, I'm getting frustrated in general at the game right now. It seems like Defense is the most important stat, and most of my units don't have enough of it; most enemies carry silver weapons and kill almost every unit I have in 2 hits.

Birthright does not have nearly enough tanky units. My two best tanks are Silas (Great Knight) and Rinkah (Oni Chieftain), and even they lose huge chunks of health to most attacks at this point.

It seems like the name of the game is killing everything before it kills you, because trying to weather attacks from more than 1 enemy at a time is asking to have your most vulnerable unit targeted and killed.

RAAGE

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 06, 2016, 10:02:01 pm »

I noticed that. I've actually considered grinding up a captured Knight just because Birthright doesn't have any.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 06, 2016, 10:11:57 pm »

The only instance where the game doesn't play by it's own rules is with that one guy in Conquest Ch10, but I'm OK forgiving that because it's to prevent breaking the story, but honestly I'd have preferred they resorted to a legitimate method of preventing you from killing him, like surrounding him completely with overleveled promoted units, giving him the skill that lets him do what his cheat does (which he has in a later chapter, so wtf there?), or just completely omitting him from the map so you can't actually interact with him, just don't break the rules of the in-game universe please.
According to Fire Emblem Wikia, Takumi does have Point Blank on Chapter 10. He doesn't on Chapter 13 for some reason, but he's not cheating on 10. :v

The reason it doesn't break the story is because basically any enemy that's plot relevant but gets killed instead goes "nuh-uh, that didn't count!" and runs away. This is perhaps most notable with Ike in FE10, where if you kill him in 3-13 (praise the archer) his plot armor magically lets him survive wounds that would kill him if you were playing as him.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 06, 2016, 10:31:40 pm »

Urgh, I'm getting frustrated in general at the game right now. It seems like Defense is the most important stat, and most of my units don't have enough of it; most enemies carry silver weapons and kill almost every unit I have in 2 hits.

Birthright does not have nearly enough tanky units. My two best tanks are Silas (Great Knight) and Rinkah (Oni Chieftain), and even they lose huge chunks of health to most attacks at this point.

It seems like the name of the game is killing everything before it kills you, because trying to weather attacks from more than 1 enemy at a time is asking to have your most vulnerable unit targeted and killed.

RAAGE

Obviously I'm not that far into Birthright so I can't give you level-specific advice, but here's some general advice:

-Abuse partners as much as possible when playing defensively, having a partner *always* negates the team attack from enemy units, ontop of occasionally negating the primary attacker as you already know.

-Be certain to effectively use characters that have passive support abilities. You've undoubtedly noticed ones like Sakura with "allies within 2 spaces take -2 damage", that helps a lot, especially since if you have several characters with abilities like that, they can overlap and stack onto one character, making them especially tanky.

-Abuse chokepoints as much as possible, just like Leonidas says, it doesn't matter how many Persians there are if they can only attack you one at a time. As an addendum, having the person blocking the choke be *bad* at killing people, since if they're good at killing, then on the opponent's turn your blocker will kill a guy, letting the person behind him come in to attack, and he'll kill that guy, and the guy behind him will get an opportunity to attack, and they'll get as many chances as they need to wear down your blocker.

-Never split up your army if you can help it. Having your whole army as one big death ball lets you steamroll fights with sheer numbers and attack power surprisingly often. Remember, you never need to defend if your opponents never get a turn.

-Great Knights have superior defense, but Sila's other promotion option, the Paladin, learns an activated ability that halves most forms of ranged damage, so remember you can class change and learn other skills if you need to, then switch back. Alternatively, you had the option in character creation to spec out your Corrin to be very defensive, and can learn to be a knight IIRC, just having a beefy main character smooths over a lot of fights because Fire Emblem AI has a tendency to prioritize attacking your main character over anyone else.

-If you haven't tried out Conquest yet, you can try that. Nohr as you might have gathered has most of the 'traditional' Fire Emblem classes, like knights, which will let you assume a more defensive playstyle more easily.

I'm looking forward to the special challenges that Birthright might give me, since tanking in Conquest is very easy with how awesomely defensive some characters are, but it seems there's simply no tank class in Hoshido's ranks, so I'll have to adjust my playstyle to fit that.

According to Fire Emblem Wikia, Takumi does have Point Blank on Chapter 10. He doesn't on Chapter 13 for some reason, but he's not cheating on 10. :v

The reason it doesn't break the story is because basically any enemy that's plot relevant but gets killed instead goes "nuh-uh, that didn't count!" and runs away. This is perhaps most notable with Ike in FE10, where if you kill him in 3-13 (praise the archer) his plot armor magically lets him survive wounds that would kill him if you were playing as him.

Heh, maybe I just completely missed it. I'll have to eat my shoe for being so inattentive.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 10:35:42 pm by JoshuaFH »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 06, 2016, 11:27:49 pm »

Aaargh, I'm still working on 11. After rereading Nighthawk's advice, though, I think I'm ready to finish this one.

Still, I declare B-11 the Hoshidan equivalent of C-10.
Basically, it could see through both fog of war and attack units concealed in trees as if they weren't concealed at all. There was a whole level explaining that game mechanic, and then it just invalidates it. I was hurt.
OK, I know we're past this, but I just have to ask: you weren't up against Sonja, were you? Y'know, Kanbei's daughter? Because that's her gimmick; her units ignore all sorts of Fog of War penalties--they can see through trees and have huge vision ranges.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 07, 2016, 12:53:47 am »

Aaargh, I'm still working on 11. After rereading Nighthawk's advice, though, I think I'm ready to finish this one.

OK, I know we're past this, but I just have to ask: you weren't up against Sonja, were you? Y'know, Kanbei's daughter? Because that's her gimmick; her units ignore all sorts of Fog of War penalties--they can see through trees and have huge vision ranges.
It is her gimmick, but it's also one of the few ways in which the Advance Wars AI genuinely cheats.  If I recall properly, the AI in 1 and 2 basically ignored fog of war, though they pretended to respect the forest-specific rules by revealing your units before attacking.  It wasn't until DS and DoR that they started teaching the AI how to handle FOW properly, or at least to fake it convincingly. 

That said, the AW1 AI had all sorts of issues, most notably a serious hatred of APCs that made you think that its parents were murdered by a rogue APC back in the days of Famicom Wars.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 12:56:38 am by Culise »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 07, 2016, 02:31:48 am »

On the other hand, since APCs were relatively cheap and relatively durable, you could cheese the AI to a certain extent with them. Sort of like unequipping all of your Jeigan's weapons and drawing enemy attacks in older Fire Emblems :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 07, 2016, 11:25:19 am »

It was honestly more than five years ago now, so I can't remember.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 07, 2016, 08:47:27 pm »

Progressing through Hard Birthright very smoothly so far. Just completed Ch11 with no casualties on my first try, and I'm pretty sure that was the one people were complaining about earlier. Reina has to be one of my favorite prepromotes so far, she might wind up on the endgame roster if her growths are decent.

I haven't really seen any necessity for the grinding missions, the difficulty curve seems to be in-line with how Conquest's was, so I might never really use them unless there's some substantial jump in bullshit. Still, I'm really liking this so far, the characters are all really colorful and interesting, and on average they seem to have much more useful personal abilities than the ones in Conquest.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 07, 2016, 11:26:27 pm »

I've noticed that when visiting Hoshidan castles. Their units seem to have much better personal abilities; really powerful ones too.

Oh well. Since Birthright is easy mode I guess it's only natural for it to influence unit abilities as well :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 07, 2016, 11:55:05 pm »

By the way, has anyone deciphered these Ancient Texts in the library? It's really mysterious, I'm not sure if they're there to be something for players to crack, or if there's something in the game that decodes them and I simply haven't stumbled onto anything that even references them.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 08, 2016, 12:03:33 am »

Not a clue what's up with those, sorry. Best guess, it uses the same "language" as the one the bird laguz used in FE9+10, and that you're supposed to translate them yourself for whatever reason.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 08, 2016, 12:29:46 am »

So, I acquired a copy of FE:Fates - Special Edition, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the difficulty of the first few maps of the game. Seems to be harder in general. Am playing on the Revelations route though so I guess spoilers-ish. I'm finding the weapon stat differences on the now-infinite use weapon items to be nice.

@ Translation of text

No. 008 - Monument contains 26 characters. I also figured out they're written in English using this weirdscript due to No. 000 having the first few words say "a dragon"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 12:35:23 am by Trapezohedron »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 70